Is Gluttony The Most Overlooked Sin Today?

Is Gluttony The Most Overlooked Sin Today?

• Yes

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I like cake

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've said this before and it got shot down.

Bakers refusing gay wedding cakes... would they refuse an overweight person? Granted not all overweight people are because of diet, but the majority are.

What about pastors counselling overweight church members or shunning them like they would of homosexuals or adulterers etc?

It's overlooked because it's normalised and often times there are plenty of overweight people ironically condemning homosexuals etc.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Bakers refusing gay wedding cakes... would they refuse an overweight person? Granted not all overweight people are because of diet, but the majority are.

What about pastors counselling overweight church members or shunning them like they would of homosexuals or adulterers etc?

It's overlooked because it's normalised and often times there are plenty of overweight people ironically condemning homosexuals etc.

I agree. Let him who is without sin throw the first pie. ^_^

• Haha
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. Philippians 3:19

A discerning son heeds instruction, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father. Proverbs 28:7

For drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags. Proverbs 23:21

And put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. Proverbs 23:2

Those are very, very strong words and yet I've never heard any preacher do a dedicated teaching on it. I've never heard Christians on here or anywhere else have long discussions about it as they do with other sins. When it is brought up it's usually mentioned in passing along with other sins. Out of all the sins it seems to be the one that is most forgotten.

I see shows like Man vs Food, where the portion sizes are ridiculous. I saw it as entertainment as I assumed everyone else did, but then it crossed my mind that this guy was clearly overeating. I wonder how many Christians watched this show and that never crossed their mind.

I hear stats from health organizations saying obesity is a big problem in countries like American and Australia. I wonder how many Christians are obese because they over eat.
(P.S. I know not all weight gain is caused by over eating, so no need to bring that up.)

Why do you think this is?

Have a good Easter everyone.
Im not sure Philippians 3:19 is about gluttony.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Being overweight in and of itself is not the sin of gluttony. Gluttony is much more than that. Perhaps it would be more analogous to refuse to make a cake for a self proclaimed "gluttony celebration" party.

• Agree
Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

People can gain weight because of medication they take.

• Agree
Reactions: worshipjunkie
Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,956.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. Philippians 3:19

A discerning son heeds instruction, but a companion of gluttons disgraces his father. Proverbs 28:7

For drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags. Proverbs 23:21

And put a knife to your throat if you are given to gluttony. Proverbs 23:2

Those are very, very strong words and yet I've never heard any preacher do a dedicated teaching on it. I've never heard Christians on here or anywhere else have long discussions about it as they do with other sins. When it is brought up it's usually mentioned in passing along with other sins. Out of all the sins it seems to be the one that is most forgotten.

I see shows like Man vs Food, where the portion sizes are ridiculous. I saw it as entertainment as I assumed everyone else did, but then it crossed my mind that this guy was clearly overeating. I wonder how many Christians watched this show and that never crossed their mind.

I hear stats from health organizations saying obesity is a big problem in countries like American and Australia. I wonder how many Christians are obese because they over eat.
(P.S. I know not all weight gain is caused by over eating, so no need to bring that up.)

Why do you think this is?

Have a good Easter everyone.

I voted no cause I think there are a number of overlooked sins. Some time back there was a survey of the sins confessed to in Catholic confessionals ( anonymous of course).

The two main sins of men were gluttony and lust and of women pride and vanity.

• Informative
Reactions: MrMoe
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,975.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Gluttony is a problem and I would blame it on both individual lack of self-control and the availability of bad food anywhere you go. It's easy to eat a chocolate bar and it tastes good too. It's hard to cook something healthier or it's more expensive to by a protein bar and doesn't taste as great either.

It's a problem I've certainty had to deal with a majority of my life. Was never really taught about the morality of limiting myself to certain foods or most things in general. I knew about the health problems eating badly resulted in but didn't really care as long as it tasted good. Self control and restraint is virtue I think we fail to instill in a lot of people, who may justify their actions as long as it feels good. This is quite broad and not limited only to food.

I think this is why Lent is valuable in the Christian calendar, along with days of giving up certain foods or things. We do it because we don't want to become slaves of the good things God has given us. We also don't outright forbid the good things God has given us but have them on special occasions or once in a while.

Reactions: MrMoe
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Gluttony is a sin but it's not related to being overweight.

glutton
H2151
???
za^lal
zaw-lal'
A primitive root (compare H2107); to shake (as in the wind), that is, to quake; figuratively to be loose morally, worthless or prodigal: - blow down, glutton, riotous (eater), vile.

H2151
???
za^lal
BDB Definition:
1) to be worthless, be vile, be insignificant, be light
1a) (Qal)
1a1) to be worthless, be insignificant
1a2) to make light of, squander, be lavish with
2) to shake, tremble, quake
1a) (Niphal) to shake, quake
Part of Speech: verb
A Related Word by BDB/Strong’s Number: a primitive root [compare H2107]
Same Word by TWOT Number: 553

A glutton is not a fat person but a person with shaky or questionable morals with no regard to body size.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Mat 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Christ was accused of gluttony but not because he was fat or ate too much but he was seen eating and drinking with sinners (some that were prostitutes) and publicans so the Jews thought him to be of questionable morals. of course, there is no evidence at all that he overate or overdrank. It was more about who he spent his time with that the Jews tried to use against him.

Pro 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:
Pro 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

"of flesh"

H1320
בּשׂר
bâśâr
baw-sawr'
From H1319; flesh (from its freshness); by extension body, person; also (by euphemism) the pudenda of a man: - body, [fat, lean] flesh [-ed], kin, [man-] kind, + nakedness, self, skin.

Being that the definition of gluttony does not mention food or body size/weight, and by euphemism the "eating of flesh" is a reference to immoral sexual activity involving the male reproductive organ I believe we can safely understand this is not about eating too much meat as food but drunkenness and sexual immorality. Remember that gluttony means to be of shaky or questionable morals so in this verse it is questionable sexual morals.

Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,835.00
Faith
Christian
Gluttony is a sin but it's not related to being overweight.

I and I think everyone else here is talking about gluttony in relation to over eating, not being overweight. A skinny person can be a glutton.

A glutton is not a fat person

I don't think anyone here actually claimed that. I think people claimed overeating was considered gluttony.
Being fat can be a result of overeating. A skinny person can still be a glutton.

but a person with shaky or questionable morals with no regard to body size.

A word can have more the one meaning. As your definition shows, one of the meanings is riotous (eater).

Upvote 0

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So what is the purpose of this forum. To have a set scales tiled into the entrance way of every church and maybe a new commandment chiseled in stone as well. One does wonder what the new weight laws would be? Our Lord was more interested in a persons spiritual well being and not so much interested in a physical body that must one day eventually decay and pass away.

Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,835.00
Faith
Christian
Mat 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber,

Here Jesus makes the connection between eating and drinking and the words gluttonous and winebibber.
A winebibber is defined as someone who drinks to excess, then we can conclude that gluttonous referes to someone who eats to excess.

Pro 23:20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:
Pro 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

"of flesh"

H1320
בּשׂר
bâśâr
baw-sawr'
From H1319; flesh (from its freshness); by extension body, person; also (by euphemism) the pudenda of a man: - body, [fat, lean] flesh [-ed], kin, [man-] kind, + nakedness, self, skin.

As this definition shows, there are several meanings to the word flesh.

Being that the definition of gluttony does not mention food or body size/weight,

The definition of lust does not mention sexual thoughts or sex, so I don't see why the definition of gluttony needs to mention food or body size/weight.

and by euphemism the "eating of flesh" is a reference to immoral sexual activity involving the male reproductive organ

Are you implying "eating of flesh" is referring to oral sex?!

I believe we can safely understand this is not about eating too much meat as food but drunkenness and sexual immorality. Remember that gluttony means to be of shaky or questionable morals so in this verse it is questionable sexual morals.

I have a few problems with your interpretation:

. You interpret "winebibbers" literally but you interpret "eaters of flesh" metaphorically when there is no reason to do so.

. Proverbs 23 starts with the theme of eating and drinking

Proverbs 23

1 When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what is before thee:
2 And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.
3 Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat.
4 Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom.
5 Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven.
6 Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither desire thou his dainty meats:
7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

Your interpretation of the word flesh doesn't fit with the theme of the chapter and is completely random in context.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,835.00
Faith
Christian
So what is the purpose of this forum. To have a set scales tiled into the entrance way of every church and maybe a new commandment chiseled in stone as well. One does wonder what the new weight laws would be? Our Lord was more interested in a persons spiritual well being and not so much interested in a physical body that must one day eventually decay and pass away.

I thought sins like gluttony were spiritual matters. I'm pretty sure our Lord wanting us to stop commiting habitual sins is part of a persons spiritual well being. As other people have pointed out, gluttony is more than just over eating. I don't know why it's suddenly become all about weight. Anyone of any size can be a glutton.

Upvote 0

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I thought sins like gluttony were spiritual matters. I'm pretty sure our Lord wanting us to stop commiting habitual sins is part of a persons spiritual well being. As other people have pointed out, gluttony is more than just over eating. I don't know why it's suddenly become all about weight. Anyone of any size can be a glutton.
Mr Moe I fully agree. This is a continuation from some earlier posts where some did point out that the term of gluttony is being used for overweight people specifically. The reason it has become all about weight is because some overzealous health fanatics have made it that way.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,956.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mr Moe I fully agree. This is a continuation from some earlier posts where some did point out that the term of gluttony is being used for overweight people specifically. The reason it has become all about weight is because some overzealous health fanatics have made it that way.

As a fitness fanatic for most of my life I have always loved the fact that the extra calories I consume get burnt off, but surely a definition of gluttony in terms of calories consumed rather than waistline impact is disingenuous. If you need the food for your lifestyle is it really gluttony to eat more.

Gluttony is surely a matter of personal excess and a loss of personal control. There is no objective measure cause we are all different.

Upvote 0

Kate30

Mar 20, 2019
Oz
✟55,851.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
As a fitness fanatic for most of my life I have always loved the fact that the extra calories I consume get burnt off, but surely a definition of gluttony in terms of calories consumed rather than waistline impact is disingenuous. If you need the food for your lifestyle is it really gluttony to eat more.

Gluttony is surely a matter of personal excess and a loss of personal control. There is no objective measure cause we are all different.
Mindlight you have been the fitness fanatic for most of your life. I’m sure that you enjoy meditating apon our wonderful God as you do. There be a vast array of pastimes and hobbies that Gods people do enjoy..

Upvote 0