Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
is drinking itself a sin can you get drunk once in a while like at a party or is it a sin in anyway? I don't mean drunk like on the floor crawling and throwing up I mean like a relaxing drunk
We are in a war and such would be an encumbrance..

(Heb 12:1) Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,

Upvote 0

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I used to drink and use other substances. I eventually developed an addiction and found my life in shambles. I checked into rehab.

Alcohol kept me away from God all these years. Part of it is that I did not concentrate on anything for more than a while (I went through phases all the time, from sports, to working out, to video games that I didn't even like playing, etc.) This forum is about the only thing aside from hip-hop music that I have looked into for an extended period of time.

I am now sober and am very intrigued by a life with God.

I will say that my addiction caused me to sin over and over again. I am now trying to break the habit of committing these sins.

Alcohol is dangerous. Drugs are dangerous. And, we have known this for millennia. How someone can argue against that is not surprising to me at all. Alcohol is baffling. So are the other drugs.

As far as I remember, alcohol made most people a little devilish...

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
is drinking itself a sin can you get drunk once in a while like at a party or is it a sin in anyway? I don't mean drunk like on the floor crawling and throwing up I mean like a relaxing drunk

Everything outside of faith is sin. We are free to do as we please, but understand that although everything is permissible, not everything is beneficial. I would abstain from habitual drunkenness but as one who occasionally drinks I cannot say anything more than this. The more important question is this, "will my drinking cause someone else to come to harm, or will it influence their relationship or potential relationship with Jesus?". This way we can accept the ramifications if/when they come and the responsibility for any poor decisions lies with ourselves. Ultimately it lies between you and the Lord.

Reactions: crossnote
Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is plenty instruction and warning in Proverbs . Jesus turned water into wine at the wedding feast , Noah over did it with his wine but Ham's son received the curse , Paul prescribed it for stomach problems .. I agree with most here , moderation is key ...

• Agree
Reactions: Victor E.
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The problem with recommending moderation is that alcohol is potentially very addictive - just as much as any hard drug you can name. And there is no such thing as occasional drunkenness that is acceptable to God. Any drunkenness is forbidden in Scripture and those who have been drunk have sinned and have shown that they ought never to drink alcohol again.

Selah.

• Agree
Reactions: Waggles
Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem with recommending moderation is that alcohol is potentially very addictive - just as much as any hard drug you can name. And there is no such thing as occasional drunkenness that is acceptable to God. Any drunkenness is forbidden in Scripture and those who have been drunk have sinned and have shown that they ought never to drink alcohol again.

Selah.

Alcoholism destroys families and lives . I hate it and refuse to hang around drunks .
I agree that there very well could be a problem with being drunk and to use anything as an occasion to sin is wrong . I don't recommend or encourage anyone to drink . Jesus said it is what comes out of your mouth that causes trouble ..
But .. Luke 7:33:34 .. If the B

Upvote 0

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm looking forward to a fellowship with Christians, though I live in a small city and there aren't many Christians my age.

Still, I look forward to seeing who goes the campus church. Perhaps I will make friends there when I return to university.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Alcoholism destroys families and lives . I hate it and refuse to hang around drunks .
I agree that there very well could be a problem with being drunk and to use anything as an occasion to sin is wrong . I don't recommend or encourage anyone to drink . Jesus said it is what comes out of your mouth that causes trouble ..
But .. Luke 7:33:34 .. If the B

Yes, alcoholism runs in my family. It definitely destroys lives and families. I was unlucky enough to become an alcoholic and addict myself (currently working on overcoming this; my progress has been good, relatively speaking).

I've heard many people say that alcohol is an evil. I think it may be true.

In the throws of my addiction I would have never become a part of this community and would have never truly looked into God and Christianity. Now that I am sober I am actively seeking the truth from God. Drinking kept me away from Him, and sobriety brought me closer to Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Drinking is not a sin, drunkenness is.

The reason a lot of churches and particular denominations discourage it is because it's a line in the sand you seldom see until you're already stepping over it, so discouraging drinking is a precautionary and preventative step.

But no, drinking itself is not a sin so long as you don't get drunk.

People claiming it isn't a sin to get drunk need to go back to Scripture and be honest with themselves. As is most common with things like that, it's often the proponents and regular partakers of a particular sin that try to justify it even to the detriment of others(further compounding their own sin by causing others to stumble).

• Agree
Upvote 0

YCGP

Apr 29, 2016
Canada
✟31,014.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I see what you mean. I am trying to be more careful with what I put out there these days. I feel that I have set a bad example many times in my life, making the wrong things look right. Now I am more conscious of what I am putting out there. I want us all to experience healthy progress in our lives, not stumbling along the way.

Upvote 0

Nightfall

Nov 1, 2016
Nd
✟7,632.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think it is. Alcohol has had a stronghold in my life since I was 17 (now 30), even though I have gone months and even years between drinks. Even now, I struggle sometimes with temptations of buying alcohol and drinking. It's best to abstain, especially if your goal in drinking is to "feel" the affects, it's just a matter of time before you have a drinking problem. Sober for two months so far this time!
If a person gets drunk it is a sin and needs to be repented of. if you do get drunk you will also need deliverance. as you lose control of your mind (take every thought captive to the obedience of christ) you have opened the door to demonstrate. you also need to break the generational curses off of your decendents in the name of Jesus. are so many of us still on the milk of the word and babes yet. SIN IS NEVER OK

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nightfall

Nov 1, 2016
Nd
✟7,632.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Clearly Jesus called out drunkards not inheriting the kingdom. Wether they drank too much ? nothing new is done under the sun. wether it is adultery through lust in the heart or drunkenness it is sin and the wages of sin is death. could be the death of your marriage or the death of your liver. could be eternal death. always rebuke pride and call for mercy

Reactions: YCGP
Upvote 0

AspieforGod

My Brother is Jesus!
Apr 16, 2017
Exeter
✟11,790.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

God isn't a party pooper but He does want us to be smart, safe and happy. A social drink is fine for example or drinking with a meal at home. It's when it gets to a point of relying on drink and drinking in excess that He doesn't like or approve of because then it's greed and irresponsible. Do you see the difference?

Upvote 0

BenjamintheWolf

Apr 24, 2017
Atlanta
✟18,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it is. Alcohol has had a stronghold in my life since I was 17 (now 30), even though I have gone months and even years between drinks. Even now, I struggle sometimes with temptations of buying alcohol and drinking. It's best to abstain, especially if your goal in drinking is to "feel" the affects, it's just a matter of time before you have a drinking problem. Sober for two months so far this time!
You took the words directly out of my mouth. except i'm newly 31 bless you brother.

Upvote 0