Is Evolution A Lie?

C

Celtic D

Most if not all of your points have been addressed in this thread and the other you allude to, but is there really any need to start confusion by quoting between threads :)

As for discussing controvertial subjects, I don't think a discussion would get very far if we discussed the weather where as this has now reached 200 posts and sparked some life in this part of the board - that was not my aim by the way - I do have an "interest" in the topics or I wouldn't start the threads :D

And contrary to the belief of some I do enjoy discussing with you guys - I really do not have an issue with people who hold a creationist stance, there are bigger fish to fry out there, on issues that we all agree on :)

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
If it was inspired why are there scientific mistakes?

Because:

a) it's not a science book

b) verbal inspiration is just a dogma of the fundamentalist wing of the church and the bible neither teaches nor requires it

c) sorry, you'll have to deal with the fact that the facts don't fit the accounts in Genesis; it's your problem not mine

d) truth can be expressed as easily through symbolic, poetic accounts as through factual accounts

e) it really is your problem you know. All the rest of us can see that the Genesis accounts don't fit the facts but we're not tied to the sinking ship of verbal inspiration as you are

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some of the evolutionary ideas like survival of the fittest are when I think about them quite horrible. The weak die off, the strong survive.

The gospel is the opposite I think, we are to love one another and help the weak.

:)
I think you may misunderstand this nineteenth century use of 'fit'. It does not mean fit because you spend every evening in the gym. It is fit, as in suitable, fit for purpose. It is the organisms most suited to a particular environment that thrive there. Traits that enable species to fit their environment (see what I did there?) can also include caring for their young, cooperating with each other and even a willingness to sacrifice their lives so that other members of their group can survive.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would be interested to hear how it would be possible to reconcile the Christian doctrine of Original sin with a Theistic evolution perspective of creation?

Most of the theistic evolution proponents that I know believe in a metaphorical Genesis.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I would be interested to hear how it would be possible to reconcile the Christian doctrine of Original sin with a Theistic evolution perspective of creation?

Adam was a real person; that's how.

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What theFijian says is certainly a very common approach, another is to take the opportunity with these questions being raised to go back to scripture and see what the bible actually says about Original Sin and whether the bible actually say anything of the sort.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ianb321red

Aug 27, 2011
Surrey
✟18,267.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Adam was a real person; that's how.

That's not the case - as SithDoughnut says,TE believes that Adam was a metaphor - to be consistent with a metaphorical/ non-literal account of Genesis.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assyrian

Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not the case - as SithDoughnut says,TE believes that Adam was a metaphor - to be consistent with a metaphorical/ non-literal account of Genesis.
The Good Shepherd was a metaphor, it was still about a real person.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I said metaphorical Genesis, not metaphorical Adam. I've heard people say that Adam and Eve represent early humanity as a whole, and I've heard others say that there was an actual Adam and Eve, they were just the product of evolution rather than created from dirt.

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's not the case - as SithDoughnut says,TE believes that Adam was a metaphor - to be consistent with a metap
horical/ non-literal account of Genesis.

One wonders why you aren't willing to listen to a person who believes in theistic evolution to find out what those who believe in theistic evolution actually believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ianb321red

Aug 27, 2011
Surrey
✟18,267.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One wonders why you aren't willing to listen to a person who believes in theistic evolution to find out what those who believe in theistic evolution actually believe.

I'm all ears....go ahead...:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
With Original Sin and TE-ism for TEs who don't believe Adam was a real person;
The creation stories and Eden narratives describe a world which, amongst many other things being said in the stories, is not a perfect world (God saw that it was good, humans he saw as very good. Nothing was seen as perfect). By virtue of not being a perfect world, imperfections must therefore exist. Sin/evil/temptation (for want of a better term) is pre-existent, and the humans which are not perfect (only God is perfect), with their free will are liable to succumb to temptation and thus sin.

Upvote 0