Is Continuationism or Cessationism a hard doctrine to prove?

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the flesh can only produce sinful faith, i.e., the faith people have when buying cars or goods. And the flesh cannot discern Christ in truth. So even then it will choose a false reckoning of Christ for the wrong reasons. That's what I said earlier. All hear the same gospel but the flesh will make a law out of it and turn grace into works.
"... sinful faith..." ???
I'm beginning to think you will say anything to make a point.
Does the Bible warn us about this "sinful faith"?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"... sinful faith..." ???
I'm beginning to think you will say anything to make a point.
Does the Bible warn us about this "sinful faith"?
Biblical faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Human faith is a disease of the flesh.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Too Long/Didn't Read
(TL/DR was made famous by James Damore, the Google
employee that was wrongfully fired for a memo)

You mean you can’t defend it so you’ll disregard it. How bout the Bible is that too long to read also?

Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The flesh loves sin and hates God = cannot discern the true Christ and constructs a lovable idol instead.
Oh, finally... a definition of your false claim that I hate God.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean you can’t defend it so you’ll disregard it. How bout the Bible is that too long to read also?
In one post? Yes, the Bible would be too long to read in one post.
If I have problems with insomnia, I'll try to remember to read your post. Fair enough?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chapter and verse please. Thanks.
Find faith here;

“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19–21)

Find faith here;

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” (Galatians 5:22–24)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Find faith here;

“Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” (Galatians 5:19–21)

Find faith here;

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” (Galatians 5:22–24)
That is your scripture for "sinful faith"? ???

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If I have problems with insomnia, I'll try to remember to read your post. Fair enough?

I just quoted 10 verses and provided the definitions of a few of the key Greek words. It probably looks long because I copied all the info on the Greek words instead of just showing the word and the definition. Sorry bout that I’m at work and had to reply quickly.

• Friendly
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Find free will in it.
There is lots of free will in the fruit of the Spirit. Choose... and choose to be... (instead of)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” (Galatians 5:22–24)

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

When I was confronted with John 15:1-10 in its proper context I was unable to defend eternal security and salvation by faith without works without contradicting these verses. I spent several days searching the Greek definitions and looking for every way possible to interpret John 15 to defend these doctrines and I couldn’t do it. I had to reevaluate everything I had learned about the scriptures and the more research I did the more evidence I found that the early church teachers didn’t teach these doctrines at all. None of the early church writings supported them. In fact they contradicted them.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just quoted 10 verses and provided the definitions of a few of the key Greek words. It probably looks long because I copied all the info on the Greek words instead of just showing the word and the definition. Sorry bout that I’m at work and had to reply quickly.
That's okay. Thanks.
I just wanted to let you know that it was too much for me to tackle.
And I wasn't sure what it was about other then some unrequested advice/correction.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When I was confronted with John 15:1-10 in its proper context I was unable to defend eternal security and salvation by faith without works without contradicting these verses. I spent several days searching the Greek definitions and looking for every way possible to interpret John 15 to defend these doctrines and I couldn’t do it. I had to reevaluate everything I had learned about the scriptures and the more research I did the more evidence I found that the early church teachers didn’t teach these doctrines at all. None of the early church writings supported them. In fact they contradicted them.
We are told that the Bible doesn't contradict itself, but I (and perhaps you) have not found that to be the case. That is a hard passage from the perspective you were looking at it in.

So, what to do... ???
As I said earlier, I see that passage as indicating fruit as evidence, not as a requirement for salvation. As soon as you add works to grace, you create a monster. How can such things be measured? Did you do enough? Could you have done more? Was it enough? Did you lose your salvation? Grace is easy to measure. Jesus paid it in full. Done deal.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Find free will in it.
I find it interesting that this passage was written to believers, not unbelievers. See bold.
(variance, emulations, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings = church issues)

Upvote 0