Is Continuationism or Cessationism a hard doctrine to prove?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
C'mon Dave. Bible versus Bible never works.
You biblical choice does not negate mine, nor mine yours.
I say both, not one or the other.

1 Corinthians 12:1, 4, 7, 8-11
1 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed.
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them.
7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good.
8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.
11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
We must compare scripture with scripture to get the full picture. Acts and Romans limits the distribution mentioned in Corinthians to the hands of an apostle. As well as every mention in Acts where an apostle delivered the gifts.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke 11:13
If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”
People have the Holy Spirit or they could not believe. Having the Holy Spirit is not the same as having the baptism or the gifts.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Read Acts where they chose Matthias to replace Judas. They had certain requirements.
That doesn't answer my original statement about how you have elevated the Apostles above what God intended.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We must compare scripture with scripture to get the full picture. Acts and Romans limits the distribution mentioned in Corinthians to the hands of an apostle. As well as every mention in Acts where an apostle delivered the gifts.
No they don't. That's ridiculous.

1 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed.
8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.
11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No they don't. That's ridiculous.

But Acts and Romans limits the distribution to the outpourings or to an apostle's hands.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People have the Holy Spirit or they could not believe. Having the Holy Spirit is not the same as having the baptism or the gifts.
Really?
When do you claim that we receive the Holy Spirit today? When we ask? Or ???

If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really?
When do you claim that we receive the Holy Spirit today? When we ask? Or ???

God saves those who cannot believe in Christ by giving them the Holy Spirit, turning them into believers.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But Acts and Romans limits the distribution to the outpourings or to an apostle's hands.
What passage are you referring to in Romans?

1 Corinthians 12:11
All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God saves those who cannot believe in Christ by giving them the Holy Spirit, turning them into believers.
Believers made against their will? (nope)

Then why did Jesus say this?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Before they believe?
People have the Holy Spirit before they believe? (nope)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the two outpourings (not by the hands of an apostle), right?

Which opens the door to whenever the Holy Spirit wants to do it. (as He wills)
Both generally and personally.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And the two outpourings (not by the hands of an apostle), right?

Which opens the door to whenever the Holy Spirit wants to do it. (as He wills)
Both generally and personally.
We are speaking of the gifts, not the receiving of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Believers made against their will? (nope)

Then why did Jesus say this?

If left to their will, none would be willing. All love their sin too much.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What passage are you referring to in Romans?

1 Corinthians 12:11
All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
“For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end you may be established;” (Romans 1:11)

The gifts came through an Apostle’s hands throughout Acts. Also through the two outpourings. If they came simply by asking for them, why would Paul say this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
“For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end you may be established;” (Romans 1:11)

The gifts came through an Apostle’s hands throughout Acts. Also through the two outpourings. If they came simply by asking for them, why would Paul say this?
Yes, God can either outpour the gifts directly, or through hands. This we all agree upon. So? And?

Not sure why you would incessantly belabor a moot point. Oh that's right. You have nothing else to stand on. You're making that fact painfully clear to everyone.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They cannot believe unless they have the Holy Spirit. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.
Have?
Unbelievers HAVE the Holy Spirit? (nope)
Have the Holy Spirit as a personal possession? No way.
Drawn by, yes; "have", no.

Upvote 0

JAL

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 16, 2004
Visit site
✟343,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They cannot believe unless they have the Holy Spirit. Faith is a fruit of the Holy Spirit.
You mean to say, that our foundational beliefs - our most important beliefs/commitments in this lifetime - are all based on an ongoing direct revelation from the Holy Spirit, what Calvin referred to as the Inward Witness? In fact we could lose our saving faith if He desisted from that revelation even momentarily, right? Because you would then be conceding that direct revelation is the rock on which we all stand and that, by comparison, everything else is sinking sands.

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have?
Unbelievers HAVE the Holy Spirit? (nope)
Have the Holy Spirit as a personal possession? No way.
Drawn by, yes; "have", no.
The Holy Spirit turns them into believers. You cannot believe in any true sense otherwise.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe Paul wanted to personally discern prophetically what gifts went to whom.
He wasn't limiting how this could happen. In the scripture below the Elders in Ephesus discerned and bestowed a gift for Timothy. Not Apostles. Not Apostles. Not Apostles.

1 Timothy 4:14
Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

Upvote 0