USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven’t seen anyone say that Calvinists or God is unjust. Only the hypothetical view of God from Calvin’s perspective of theology is unjust. We are refuting this theology with the premise that God is just as a means of establishing that Calvin’s theology cannot be correct on this basis.
What we have before us are two different Christs. It's not about one Christ and two totally opposed views that define him. It's about the God of the Arminians or the God of the Calvinists.

• Winner
Reactions: MDC
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's about the God of the Arminians or the God of the Calvinists.

Two different churches meet at our Church building. One Armenian type and one Reformed.

The reason that this works for us is because, we worship the same God.

David Jeremiah as seen and heard on Christian radio and TV is what we could call Armenian and he quotes John MacArthur quite often who is a Calvinist.

Same God -- JEEPERS!

M-BOB

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Two different churches meet at our Church building. One Armenian type and one Reformed.

The reason that this works for us is because, we worship the same God.

David Jeremiah as seen and heard on Christian radio and TV is what we could call Armenian and he quotes John MacArthur quite often who is a Calvinist.

Same God -- JEEPERS!

M-BOB
If you compare the two, they are not even close to being the same. But true Christians are in each camp.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you compare the two, they are not even close to being the same. But true Christians are in each camp.

Mark 9:38-41 New International Version (NIV)

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,40 for whoever is not against us is for us.41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 9:38-41 New International Version (NIV)

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,40 for whoever is not against us is for us.41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.
It's like I said. If Calvin was right about God. most hate him passionately and worship idols in his name.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Gup20

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2019
Albertville
✟157,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How is the above just? We’ve been requested by a mod not to lay out scripture. We know why calvinists believe this. Some of us understand it perfectly and believe none of it. Please discuss how it is just cause it is pretty seriously unjust.
If you had taken the time to read the post, you would have realized pretty quickly that it is an argument against the Calvinistic doctrine of Unconditional Election, not a description of Calvinism. It shows who the "chosen people" or "elect" really are (according to scripture, not according to Calvin), and how they are selected.

Unlike Calvinism, the Bible indicates that Abraham was chosen for his faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ, and that he and his descendants are a chosen or elect people. The scriptures go on to say that God did not choose them because they were better than anyone else, but rather the descendants of Abraham were chosen because God made an oath, promise, or covenant with Abraham, and God is not a liar... God honors His word.

The "elect" or "chosen" people is the group known as "the descendants of Abraham." This group has open enrollment. You can become adopted into this group by choosing to believe the gospel of Jesus Christ just like Abraham did. Once you are a member of that group, you INHERIT the righteousness given to Abraham which God promised would be inherited by all of Abraham's descendants.

I recommend reading the scriptures I posted with a mind to try to understand them and do not just gloss over scripture.

[Gal 3:6-9 NASB] 6 Even so Abraham BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS RECKONED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS. 7 Therefore, be sure that it is those who are of faith who are sons of Abraham. 8 The Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, [saying,] "ALL THE NATIONS WILL BE BLESSED IN YOU." 9 So then those who are of faith are blessed with Abraham, the believer.​

Abraham was chosen BECAUSE of his faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ. We become adopted as his descendants if we have the same faith in the gospel that Abraham had.

[Gen 17:5-7 NASB] 5 "No longer shall your name be called Abram, But your name shall be Abraham; For I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. 6 "I will make you exceedingly fruitful, and I will make nations of you, and kings will come forth from you. 7 "I will establish My covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and to your descendants after you.

Therefore, the "elect" group is not some group of randomly chosen lucky lottery winners... but a specific group chosen for a specific reason. That group has open enrollment... all you have to do is have the same faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ that Abraham had, an viola! You are are a descendant of Abraham.

[Rom 4:9-17 NASB] 9 Is this blessing then on the circumcised, or on the uncircumcised also? For we say, "FAITH WAS CREDITED TO ABRAHAM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." 10 How then was it credited? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised; 11 and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them, 12 and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also follow in the steps of the faith of our father Abraham which he had while uncircumcised. 13 For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. 14 For if those who are of the Law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise is nullified; 15 for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation. 16 For this reason [it is] by faith, in order that [it may be] in accordance with grace, so that the promise will be guaranteed to all the descendants, not only to those who are of the Law, but also to those who are of the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 (as it is written, "A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE YOU") in the presence of Him whom he believed, [even] God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist.​

Therefore, in reality the choosing of the elect is not random, but for a specific purpose and it is just. This is anti-Calvinistic... but it's also anti-Armenianistic. Neither John Calvin not Jacobus Armenius believed that faith qualified a person to become part of Abraham's descendants as scripture so plainly states. Both believe (incorrectly) that faith directly qualified a person for righteousness before God. Had Calvin understood this, he would not have needed to invent a false way of people being chosen and forced into faith against their will because faith doesn't move or motivate God as both Calvin and Armenius believed... God's promise to Abraham to make all his descendants inherit the righteousness He gave him is what motivates God. Calvin had to invent this false narrative about God forcing people to believe because he couldn't understand how a fallen, sinful man could bend God's sovereign will to his own. But that is simply a lack of understanding how salvation works. God isn't bending to man's will... He is keeping His word... He is motivated by His own promise, oath, or covenant to Abraham and to Abraham's descendants.

The "adopted" descendants of Abraham -- those with the same faith in the gospel of Jesus Christ that Abraham had -- will far outnumber the physical descendants.

[Isa 54:1 NASB] 1 "Shout for joy, O barren one, you who have borne no [child;] Break forth into joyful shouting and cry aloud, you who have not travailed; For the sons of the desolate one [will be] more numerous Than the sons of the married woman," says the LORD.

[Gal 4:22-28 NASB] 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons, one by the bondwoman and one by the free woman. 23 But the son by the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and the son by the free woman through the promise. 24 This is allegorically speaking, for these [women] are two covenants: one [proceeding] from Mount Sinai bearing children who are to be slaves; she is Hagar. 25 Now this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia and corresponds to the present Jerusalem, for she is in slavery with her children. 26 But the Jerusalem above is free; she is our mother. 27 For it is written, "REJOICE, BARREN WOMAN WHO DOES NOT BEAR; BREAK FORTH AND SHOUT, YOU WHO ARE NOT IN LABOR; FOR MORE NUMEROUS ARE THE CHILDREN OF THE DESOLATE THAN OF THE ONE WHO HAS A HUSBAND." 28 And you brethren, like Isaac, are children of promise.​

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟897,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have 3 choices;

1) God saves people

2) God and people save people each doing their part

3) people save themselves by doing their part

Most all calling themselves Christian hold to the second position. This includes the "born again movement types", the Catholics, Lutherans, Evangelicals for the most part, and Charismatic groups, cults and what have you.

But scripture teaches the 1st possibility. God saves people wholly by grace from beginning to end.

In the end, # 2 is logically #3, people think they save themselves but give God the credit.

But we’ve established that the 1st option makes God’s judgement against the unelected unjust which completely rules that option out as being a possibility.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can you please give us the particular passages. The verses I read say that they actually KNEW God but did not acknowledge him as such. SO that blows total depravity out of the water. They knew God and GOd did not have to change their hearts for them to know this. But they themselves decided, apparently on their own, to reject him. Paul does not say that God neglected to work on their hearts. What he does say is God actually gave them over to their own passions. That GOd did do.
The suppressed the truth of God being Sovereign and Creator. It's right there in the text.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But we’ve established that the 1st option makes God’s judgement against the unelected unjust which completely rules that option out as being a possibility.
How does God alone being savior not amount to salvation by grace? How does people saving themselves with God's help not wind up being salvation by works?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You have 3 choices;

1) God saves people

2) God and people save people each doing their part

3) people save themselves by doing their part

Most all calling themselves Christian hold to the second position. This includes the "born again movement types", the Catholics, Lutherans, Evangelicals for the most part, and Charismatic groups, cults and what have you.

But scripture teaches the 1st possibility. God saves people wholly by grace from beginning to end.

In the end, # 2 is logically #3, people think they save themselves but give God the credit.
Dave L., you view is just way too limited and simple. The first one makes GOd responsible for all who are not saved. It is all his fault. I know it is comforting to many as they think they are a shoe in.

The main problem in all of this is the focus is not getting to heaven. There is no love for God or man in this theology, just focusing in on the one being saved as though that is the end. Calvinism does the believers in it this injustice as well. Salvation is the beginning and the end.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dave L., you view is just way too limited and simple. The first one makes GOd responsible for all who are not saved. It is all his fault. I know it is comforting to many as they think they are a shoe in.

The main problem in all of this is the focus is not getting to heaven. There is no love for God or man in this theology, just focusing in on the one being saved as though that is the end. Calvinism does the believers in it this injustice as well. Salvation is the beginning and the end.
People made themselves responsible for not being saved in Adam, their sample that failed the test.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Try to find any who don't hate Calvin's God.
I don't. SO there you are, wrong again. What you have to do to avoid the truth is tell yourself that people hate calvinists or their god or whatever. That people want to discuss and know the truth is too challenging. The fruit of believing in an unjust god is catching.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People made themselves responsible for not being saved in Adam, their sample that failed the test.
Ah, but you believe that God is respsonsible for men being saved, not man. SO you changing your mind. Dave, you faith cannot stand the test of real questions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't. SO there are are, wrong again. What you have to do to avoid the truth is tell yourself that people hate calvinists or their god or whatever. That people want to discuss and know the truth is too challenging. The fruit of believing in an unjust god is catching.
If you think Calvin's God is unjust, you surely reject him in favor of one you prefer to worship.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, but you believe that God is respsonsible for men being saved, not man. SO you changing your mind. Dave, you faith cannot stand the test of real questions.
How can the damned save themselves if their hatred of God is part of their damnation?

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you think Calvin's God is unjust, you surely reject him in favor of one you prefer to worship.
No, I do not hate either the god you believe in who is not really there, nor you nor anyone else. This is a blindness I find quite common in Calvinists. If one rejects any of that theology one hates. That one loves Calvinists does not occur to them.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, I do not hate either the god you believe in who is not really there, nor you nor anyone else. This is a blindness I find quite common in Calvinists. If one rejects any of that theology one hates. That one loves Calvinists does not occur to them.
How can you reject a God you love? You certainly reject Calvin's God.

Upvote 0

Dorothy Mae

May 26, 2018
Canton south of Germany
✟75,214.00
Country
Switzerland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can the damned save themselves if their hatred of God is part of their damnation?
How often to you talk to atheists? I don't any of them who were never believers who hate God. The ones I know who hate GOd are fallen away believers. Those guys hate God more so than atheists who never were believers. Believers who have fallen away do tend to hate the god they rejected. That is true.

Upvote 0