Jan 8, 2010
✟23,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys, I am a Christian but I have a question about whether or not belief in God is enough to be saved.

Here are some verses that show that belief = salvation.

If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, "Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame." -Romans 10:9-11

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -John 3:16

The jailer called for lights, rushed in and fell trembling before Paul and Silas. He then brought them out and asked, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household." -Acts 16:29-31

You guys get the point. And this sounds great. But, what about this?

You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder. -James 2:19

The way I understand it, "belief" in Jesus Christ isn't enough to be saved. True belief in Jesus will result in fruit that is evident by a lifestyle change, a heart change: that you want nothing else to do with the world that satisfies the needs of the flesh but really only care about satisfying God and being led by the Spirit.

However, if this is the case, what do we make of the first 3 verses I posted? They clearly seem to state that belief is all that is needed for salvation.

Can somebody please shine a light on this issue for me? I think how we understand salvation really changes how we live our lives and especially how we evangelize to others (in other words, if belief isn't enough to be saved, we shouldn't be spreading that as a final end).

Thank you for your help.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Hi guys, I am a Christian but I have a question about whether or not belief in God is enough to be saved.

The way I understand it, "belief" in Jesus Christ isn't enough to be saved. True belief in Jesus will result in fruit that is evident by a lifestyle change, a heart change: that you want nothing else to do with the world that satisfies the needs of the flesh but really only care about satisfying God and being led by the Spirit.

However, if this is the case, what do we make of the first 3 verses I posted? They clearly seem to state that belief is all that is needed for salvation.
No, they don't. They teach us that FAITH saves. The fourth of your verses ("You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder." -James 2:19) teaches that mere belief in God or in Jesus as a good man and teacher, etc. will not.

Thank you for your help.

You're welcome.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

[Romans 10:9-11]

[John 3:16]

[Acts 16:29-31]

[James 2:19]

Can somebody please shine a light on this issue for me? I think how we understand salvation really changes how we live our lives and especially how we evangelize to others (in other words, if belief isn't enough to be saved, we shouldn't be spreading that as a final end).

Thank you for your help.

One of the problems I think a lot of evangelical Christians have with this sort of area is that they look at verses and passages of scripture removed from their context. Yes our faith is our salvation but if we look at the rest of Romans, the rest of John, the rest of Acts and the rest of James we see that our faith is displayed through our actions, but in the same way our actions cannot dictate what our faith is a good example of this is the Pharisees and Paul talking of love in I Corinthians.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"Belief" as in "mental consent to a theological proposition" isn't what saves us. Jesus Christ, by His death and resurrection, reconciling us to the Father by His abundant and endless grace saves us. Saving faith isn't a mental assent to a theological proposition so much as it is (in the words of Martin Luther) a "bold trust in God's grace". It's radical trust, trust and reliance entirely upon God who does the saving and not ourselves.

That bold and radical trust doesn't come from ourselves, but from God above.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
Heavenly Jerusalem- Mount Zion
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Thank you for your help.

Your belief (faith) will be shown to be alive by your actions (love).:thumbsup:

For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision avails any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which works by love. Galatians 5:6

Basically, what James and Paul are saying is that a man is not justified by faith alone, but by his actions (love) also. Remember the story of Balaam? He had faith in the LORD, but ultimately fell to his death because of his actions (lawlessness/lacking love) against God. What good is our faith if we do not do the will the of the LORD? As the body is dead without the spirit, so also faith without love is dead.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 1 Corinthians 13:2

Love is the greatest of all....:clap:

Reactions: TamaraLynne
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One of the problems I think a lot of evangelical Christians have with this sort of area is that they look at verses and passages of scripture removed from their context. Yes our faith is our salvation but if we look at the rest of Romans, the rest of John, the rest of Acts and the rest of James we see that our faith is displayed through our actions

Yes, of course, our Faith is "displayed" in that way, but the display is not what saves. It's Faith that saves; and if we want to then describe everything else that Faith can do in addition to that, a new thread would probably be in order.

lion king said:
Basically, what James and Paul are saying is that a man is not justified by faith alone, but by his actions (love) also.

No, what James and Paul are saying is that there is a difference between a genuine, reforming Faith and what many people call Faith. This is what the OP was asking about. A "belief" in Jesus is not that special; even the demons have that. They know who the Lord is.

Saving Faith is a transforming Faith, and one way to know if the Faith is of that sort, or, on the contrary, is merely something that is being claimed by someone is whether love, etc. follows. However, we should never confuse the Faith itself with the products or fruits of that Faith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

B-74

Jan 23, 2012
USA
✟2,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, of course, our Faith is "displayed" in that way, but the display is not what saves. It's Faith that saves; and if we want to then describe everything else that Faith can do in addition to that, a new thread would probably be in order.

This is true i guess. There is a time and season for everything, perhaps even this is true of faith and other things of the Gospel.

There is a time for steak and a time for milk. We need both but not necessarily at the same time. We must grow in faith, this much is sure.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Faith, not mere belief, is what saves. Specifically, a living faith, which is a faith which is active, not passive; which produces fruit.

Faith is belief + works. God initiates, we cooperate with the help of God the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Ortho_Cat
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,456.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Is belief enough to be saved?

Depends on what you believe in.

Faith is what is needed. Many people believe for a short time but turn away from their salvation. The Gospel(seed) is cast across the ground but not all of the seed falls on good fertile ground. Some falls on rocks and does not grow, some falls on poor soil and sprouts but because of the poor soil gets burned up by the heat, some falls among weeds and sprouts but gets choke by the weeds, and some falls on good soil which produces strong roots which allows for full growth and can survive the hard times and produce rich fruit.

Faith produces good fruit. Many people receive the message but fall away. They may believe that Jesus is the Son of God the Father but they have faith in themselves or something else.

Faith leads us to worship God as he really is.

We all begin as seedlings with the need to grow strong in faith. As we grow stronger we need to help others grow and not judge them because we were them at one time. Just as all plants go through periods of growth and drought, we will do the same. Faith helps us survive the troubles and makes us stronger.

Belief is more than acknowledgment that Christ is Lord. Belief is having faith in Jesus. Faith is surrendering to God's Holy Spirit. Through surrender, we learn to walk in the Spirit. After we learn to walk we need to run and to win the race.
1 Cor. 9:
23. And I do all things for the gospel's sake, that I may be a joint partaker thereof.

24. Know ye not that they that run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? Even so run; that ye may attain.

25. And every man that striveth in the games exerciseth self-control in all things. Now they [do it] to receive a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

26. I therefore so run, as not uncertainly; so fight I, as not beating the air:

27. but I buffet my body, and bring it into bondage: lest by any means, after that I have preached to others, I myself should be rejected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Basically, what James and Paul are saying is that a man is not justified by faith alone, but by his actions (love) also.
Wrong understanding my friend, James and Paul are battling two different attacks on the gospel. (like men back to back in an arena)..Paul battles legalism and James anti-nomianism.
This is critical to a proper understanding that the context of the writing be rightly understood.

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

As you see from the ensuing posts the whole belief/faith area is something of a theological minefield.

The other point worth raising is - what do you understand about being 'saved' - saved from what exactly? The word 'saved' gets thrown around without much thought.

What I suggest you are looking for is certainty. Certainty is endemic at the moment. It seems everyone is seeking it whether it is Christian or a CEO of a bank.

But there is no certainty. Even E=mc2 breaks down under certain conditions.

Having said that it appears that 100% of non-smokers die - which is about as close to a certainty as one can get.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, what James and Paul are saying is that there is a difference between a genuine, reforming Faith and what many people call Faith. This is what the OP was asking about. A "belief" in Jesus is not that special; even the demons have that. They know who the Lord is.

Saving Faith is a transforming Faith, and one way to know if the Faith is of that sort, or, on the contrary, is merely something that is being claimed by someone is whether love, etc. follows. However, we should never confuse the Faith itself with the products or fruits of that Faith.

You see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. James 2:24

At Judgement day, each man will be judged according to their works and those whose names are not written in the book of life will be thrown into the lake of fire.

Upvote 0

Lion King

Veni, vidi, vici
Mar 29, 2011
✟10,388.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wrong understanding my friend, James and Paul are battling two different attacks on the gospel. (like men back to back in an arena)..Paul battles legalism and James anti-nomianism.
This is critical to a proper understanding that the context of the writing be rightly understood.

You see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. James 2:24

:angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said 'Whosoever believes' - He didn't put any if's, and's or buts' man has put those in. If you believe, the works will follow.

Amen. God promises that if we believe in His Son and receive His Son as our Savior, He would not condemn us, but rather give us eternal life (John 3:16-18; 3:36; 4:14; 5:24; 6:26-27; 6:35-40; 6:47-51; 6:54; 10:27-29; 11:25-26; 12:44-46;17:1-1-5; Romans 6:22-23; 10:9-10; 1 Corinthians 1:4-9;2 Corinthians 5:17-19; Ephesians 1:13-14; Titus 1:2; 3:4-7; John 5:9-13; 1 John 5:20). He even gave us His own testimony about what He would do for us if we believed in His Son. He said that if we believe in Jesus, He would give us eternal life (1 John 5:10-11). He promised us that if we believe in Jesus and receive Him as our Savior, we would be born of Him and we would become His children (John 1:12-13). He promised us that if we believe and have faith in Jesus, He would forgive us, justify us, and redeem us through the blood of Jesus shed for us on the cross (Isaiah 1:18; Matthew 26:28; Romans 3:21-26; 5:1-11; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Ephesians 1:7-14; 2:13; Colossians 2:11-15; Hebrews 9:11-15; 10:1-22; Titus 3:4-7; 1 Peter 1:18-21; 1 John 1:5-10; 2:1-2).

"8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." Ephesians 2:8-10

"7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him." Ephesians 1:7-10

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said 'Whosoever believes' - He didn't put any if's, and's or buts' man has put those in. If you believe, the works will follow.

Indeed - there are no strings attached to God's grace. It is only the self-righteous who like to place strings on that which is offered freely.

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just curious the demons who believe and shudder, are they saved?

Upvote 0

Whisper of Hope

Oct 4, 2011
✟12,000.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Indeed - there are no strings attached to God's grace. It is only the self-righteous who like to place strings on that which is offered freely.

QFT. Amen! Salvation is a gift from God, lest anyone should boast, and He is rich in mercy because of His great love for us (Ephesians 2:4-10; Titus 3:4-7), which He demonstrated, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). Jesus Christ our Savior and Redeemer removed the wall of separation between us and God, having abolished the enmity when He bore our sins in His body on the cross, making peace for us with God and reconciling us to Him (Romans 5:1-11; Ephesians 2:14-22). We are now been saved from God's wrath through the atoning sacrifice of His blood (Romans 5:9), shed for the propitiation for our sins (1 John 2:2). We have been forgiven and redeemed through the blood of Jesus Christ (Ephesians 1:7-10).

And all God's people said: Amen!

Upvote 0