TonyT316

Dec 7, 2016
California
✟26,209.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I think of being nice as being a sin and I don't think what Jesus did was nice but it was right and the Father's will. In tenth grade World History my teacher taught me that "nice" was a bad word to use when I was describing the cotton gin. She gave me the punishment of looking in a thesaurus for a better word to use so I did. She was a good Christian black woman and later on I wrote to her that she was my favorite teacher in a letter a couple years later. About Jesus, he wasn't nice because he whipped the money changers but that wasn't a sin, it is what He was supposed to do. I don't like it when people are nice to me or expect me to be nice and my earthly father is not very nice but is strict but he is a good father and he really isn't nice to a lot of people but I think that is a good thing.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Nice of you to drop by Tony.
"Nice" as in soft, you mean? perhaps you equate "nice" with unassertive and passive?

You know I find those qualities a relief sometimes, after you've spent an hour or two with a loud, very assertive talkaholic who wants to strangle you, if you don't see the world in the same way as them.

Upvote 0

sundewgrower

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2014
somewhere
✟110,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
That is a surprising deal there. I was bothered by something and came on to this post as I've had people be nice but never really do what should be done.

For instance I've had people act "nice" as Christians but they fail to actually carry out anything good or really sit down then do what's right for others... I realize that I'm saying they should of done more for me and they did owe me nothing--but I find myself stepping aside and doing what I feel is right for others constantly... People say "I'm a nice guy" but there's a greater extension past the white washed appearance of nice and actually "doing something" that ought to be done.

For your though Jesus did what he had to do and it wasn't pleasant. Am I right in thinking we should help others not for appearance but since it's the right thing to do? Even if we have nothing to gain and it's not going to gain us points with those around?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
There is nothing wrong with being "civil" and nice, even if it is superficial. it is how we survive in the world. If we were to go into a shop and be spoken rudely by the shop assistant, that will not help their business, and just might spoil your day.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Being rude isnt a virtue, being gentle is actually a fruit of the holy spirit.

Nice can mean many things. Some people use nice as a way of people pleasing or flattery that can be wrong, but being nice can also mean being gracious and having mercy.

The Lord said a bruised reed he will not break. Sometimes you have to be extra careful and gentle around hurting christians. Being harsh is not the way Jesus spoke with people who were hurting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think of being nice as being a sin and I don't think what Jesus did was nice but it was right and the Father's will. In tenth grade World History my teacher taught me that "nice" was a bad word to use when I was describing the cotton gin. She gave me the punishment of looking in a thesaurus for a better word to use so I did. She was a good Christian black woman and later on I wrote to her that she was my favorite teacher in a letter a couple years later. About Jesus, he wasn't nice because he whipped the money changers but that wasn't a sin, it is what He was supposed to do. I don't like it when people are nice to me or expect me to be nice and my earthly father is not very nice but is strict but he is a good father and he really isn't nice to a lot of people but I think that is a good thing.

Being a people pleaser is a sin. Expressing love is something else. Being compassionate is something else.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As long as we are sure that our niceness isn't going to be misinterpreted as weakness or an invitation for aggressiveness then we should be nice. However, some circumstances demand that we project a precautionary attitude in order to avoid danger of inviting aggression.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think of being nice as being a sin and I don't think what Jesus did was nice but it was right and the Father's will. In tenth grade World History my teacher taught me that "nice" was a bad word to use when I was describing the cotton gin. She gave me the punishment of looking in a thesaurus for a better word to use so I did. She was a good Christian black woman and later on I wrote to her that she was my favorite teacher in a letter a couple years later. About Jesus, he wasn't nice because he whipped the money changers but that wasn't a sin, it is what He was supposed to do.

Yep... Sometimes Often truth is unpleasant for folks to hear.

I don't like it when people are nice to me or expect me to be nice [...]

There's a fine line here - One can be polite and un-abrasive when delivering truth... Often easier to be otherwise when one is standing in the breach... But fire and brimstone is often times less effective. Truth, delivered in love is the model to strive for (as exampled by Yeshua). Don't ask me how, because I am not built that way either.

[...] my earthly father is not very nice but is strict but he is a good father and he really isn't nice to a lot of people but I think that is a good thing.

It took my lads a long time to understand that a father must be that way... Oddly enough, it took their having kids of their own to understand, and suddenly, I am made 'wise'... It is truly amazing how much wisdom I have been accorded between my sons' teen years and their establishment of their own households.

Turns out their old man was right, even as my old man was right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
My father is never nice to be and doesn't have to be others are not nice to me and don't have to be. I don't have to be nice to anyone.
Jesus teaches to do unto others as you would like for them to do unto you.
The Satanic Bible teaches to do unto others as they do unto you.
take your pick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
My father is never nice to be and doesn't have to be others are not nice to me and don't have to be. I don't have to be nice to anyone.
Sounds like you live in world where being nice is a sign of weakness.
My father and mother were very gentle folk, hardly ever swore so "gentility" is something I value. I see it as a sign of strength, of self-control. Of peace.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Don't be nice. Nice is the beige of attitudes - bland and boring. Be kind instead. Now, that takes a backbone.
I thought those two traits went hand in hand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Maybe I should start another thread on being "nice" because I think it such an important concept. We either overvalue it or undervalue it or misunderstand it.
I can appreciate that some people's personalities are rather strong. Such people can be intimidating without trying. My brother rang me for Christmas and putting on a rather "nice" voice which sounded phoney to me. He is often argumentative and opinionated. A nice gentle voice doesn't resonate with my idea of him. I've seen too much of his Mr Hyde to accept his Dr. Jekyl.

Upvote 0

roamer_1

Jan 12, 2016
Northwest Montana, USA
✟23,570.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe I should start another thread on being "nice" because I think it such an important concept. We either overvalue it or undervalue it or misunderstand it.
I can appreciate that some people's personalities are rather strong. Such people can be intimidating without trying. My brother rang me for Christmas and putting on a rather "nice" voice which sounded phoney to me. He is often argumentative and opinionated. A nice gentle voice doesn't resonate with my idea of him. I've seen too much of his Mr Hyde to accept his Dr. Jekyl.

It should be noted that *happy, happy morning people* are the exception to every rule. They goad me to violence with their very presence. Grumpiness, or at least passive silence, are virtues until after 10 o'clock. Jussayin.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
happy, happy morning people* are the exception to every rule. They goad me to violence with their very presence. Grumpiness, or at least passive silence, are virtues until after 10 o'clock.
:)

Upvote 0