• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is Autism A Gift From God?

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Only aggravated autism [ASD2/3] is neuropathology. Basic autism [ASD1] is an expression of neuro-diversity, like giftedness is.
I do take your point. There is a difference in the organisation of the brain but within the bounds of being a functioning autonomous being who’s to say where the boundaries of ‘normal’.

Indeed, my own brain could not be described as neurotypical.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
That neurological variation [not disability] impacts one's immune system. The immune system doesn't create autism; it is a trait of autism.

Certain vaccines create problems for people who are already autistic when they are born.

Are you autistic? (If I wasn't clear, I am.)

Yes, I am on the autism specturm. But I never call myself autistic because I have Asperger's, the top end of it, and therefore don't fit the negative stigma attached to the word.

Autism is a disability by defintion. Aspies often don't consider themselve disabled because for them is not interfering with their ability to function in life.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The only thing that has increased is the understanding of autism and the diagnosis of it.

Not exactly. Autism is sometimes incorrectly diagnosed for people who have totally different problems. At the same time, more autistic babies are being born.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Autism is a disability by defintion. Aspies often don't consider themselve disabled because for them is not interfering with their ability to function in life.
In the USA, Aspergers is now considered Autism Spectrum Disorder, Severity level 1 [ASD1]. We have been saying the same things. In your terms, autism is injured Aspergers. That is, someone born with Aspergers (with its immunity issues) was injured by a newer type of vaccine that NTs are not.

Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Asperger's syndrome is known as "high-functioning autism" because of its place on the autism spectrum. People who have it are right to use the name becaues it sure sounds better than "I am autistic." It is just the medical community recognizing Asperger's syndrome for what it is that lad to the name's decline.

Upvote 0

Snoder

Jul 26, 2019
Seattle
✟10,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not exactly. Autism is sometimes incorrectly diagnosed for people who have totally different problems. At the same time, more autistic babies are being born.

There are many adults who are autistic and were never diagnosed with it.

Upvote 0

Snoder

Jul 26, 2019
Seattle
✟10,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the USA, Aspergers is now considered Autism Spectrum Disorder, Severity level 1 [ASD1]. We have been saying the same things. In your terms, autism is injured Aspergers. That is, someone born with Aspergers (with its immunity issues) was injured by a newer type of vaccine that NTs are not.

There is no evidence that vaccines or immunological issues cause autism or aspergers. Autism and aspergers don't weaken your immune system.

Antibodies don't specifically target the part of your brain that allows you to understand body language, facial expressions and voice inflections.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is no evidence that vaccines or immunological issues cause autism or aspergers.
  1. You keep going back to the "autism is injured NT theory." As an autistic, I already do not subscribe to that.
  2. You keep denying that the number of feral children in special ed. hasn't shot up dramatically, regardless of their diagnosis. (And that Aspies/ASD1s are not included in those numbers.)
  3. You keep ignoring the known fact that gifteds & Aspies have a higher occurrence of allergies than neuro-typicals do. (And I don't owe you a physiological justification for that finding. So, stop insisting on one. Bumblebees fly!)
  4. You ignore Sound Choice Pharmaceuticals observation that the incidence of "regressive" (their word) autism follows the introduction of fetal-cell (not thimerosal) vaccines, not only in America, but in other countries, as well. (Rather than allergies, the actual condition is De Novo Mutations.)
  5. And you ignore that these feral children have family histories of neuro-diversity, Aspies AND gifted.
Antibodies don't specifically target the part of your brain that allows you to understand body language, facial expressions and voice inflections.
No one is saying that they do, but anaphylaxis can certainly assault one's central nervous system.

Either you do not care to read, or you have an axe to grind. Neuro-diverse children are being injured regularly because of it.

Fetal-cell vaccines are giving neuro-diverse (Aspie/gifted) children traumatic brain injuries (on top of their hereditary neurology).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Sabertooth, Snoder is not ignoring any of that. He simply never knew those facts.

And you absolutely DO owe him a physiological explanation for autistics having a higher risk of allergies - I did not know that one either!

Stop acting like everyone is expected to know what many doctors never heard in medical school.

Upvote 0

Snoder

Jul 26, 2019
Seattle
✟10,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  1. You keep going back to the "autism is injured NT theory." As an autistic, I already do not subscribe to that.
I am assuming by NT you mean non-autistic. If you want to suggest a link between immunology and autism, then immunology would cause autism. Brain structure cannot determine immunology. Immunology can affect tissues and organs.

You keep denying that the number of feral children in special ed. hasn't shot up dramatically, regardless of their diagnosis. (And that Aspies/ASD1s are not included in those numbers.)

I keep denying that? I do not know what you mean by 'feral children' but that sounds incredibly offensive.

You keep ignoring the known fact that gifteds & Aspies have a higher occurrence of allergies than neuro-typicals do. (And I don't owe you a physiological justification for that finding. So, stop insisting on one. Bumblebees fly!)

I do not 'keep denying' that as I have written nothing about it.

You ignore Sound Choice Pharmaceuticals observation that the incidence of "regressive" (their word) autism follows the introduction of fetal-cell (not thimerosal) vaccines, not only in America, but in other countries, as well. (Rather than allergies, the actual condition is De Novo Mutations.)

There is no evidence that vaccines cause autism.

It's not going to send antibodies to your cerebral spinal fluid that attack the brain and diminish the ability to understand body language, facial expressions and voice inflections.

Either you do not care to read, or you have an axe to grind. Neuro-diverse children are being injured regularly because of it.

Care to read what? That vaccines cause autism in individuals with a greater risk of allergic reaction? There is nothing to read.

Fetal-cell vaccines are giving neuro-diverse (Aspie/gifted) children traumatic brain injuries (on top of their hereditary neurology).

The brain is being injured by what, exactly?

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you want to suggest a link between immunology and autism,...
I'm not suggesting it. I'm demonstrating it. How it came to be, I have no idea. (Bumblebees fly even though they are not "supposed to." :bee:)
..., then immunology would cause autism.
Not true. If the autism occurs first, then the autistic immune system is indirectly responsible for the subsequent, severe co-morbid conditions.
Brain structure cannot determine immunology. Immunology can affect tissues and organs.
You need to set that down. Anaphylaxis can assault the central nervous system.
I do not know what you mean by 'feral children...'
I get that. That is why you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to ASD3s, and by extension, ASD2s.
There is no evidence that vaccines cause autism.
Stop "putting words in my mouth" and pay attention. Fetal-cell vaccines do not cause autism. They injure people who are already born autistic.
Stop acting like everyone is expected to know what many doctors never heard in medical school.
I have been including links in every claim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello

I've always wondered (and there is a lot of debate from many Autistics around this) if Autism is a gift from God or if it's a curse? I could see it being both. Most Autistics are highly intelligent including those that are low-functioning but then nearly all Autistics struggle on the socialization part and that's where people start to think it's a curse as it can limit them in doing things other people without Autism might easily be able to do such as going up to a stranger and striking up a conversation.

I don't think Autism or any other disorder is mentioned in the Bible but I would assume Autism or any other disorder wouldn't exist unless God wanted it to exist. Some say Autism is the next step in human evolution. (I don't mean from apes to humans evolution, I mean in terms of how humans develop socially, mentally, etc)

Sometimes I feel like Autism holds me back and on top of other disorders I have which also include mental disorders, I wonder why God has given me these disorders when he alone has the ability to take them away or at the very least make it easier to deal with the disorder.

I think some will be offended by what I will say, but I believe autism is part of the fallen man. I do not think disabilities are gifts, although some people I've met and seen with Aspergers are really intelligent. However, that may be an imbalance of the genes where they are really good at certain things in one area, but poor in others.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Autism or any other disorder is mentioned in the Bible but I would assume Autism or any other disorder wouldn't exist unless God wanted it to exist.
We live in a fallen world and God has a plan of redemption and restoration. All things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose. We can have the mind of Christ and think the Divine thoughts of God. There are hundreds of scriptures that talk about the Mind of Christ. For example: "4 Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. 5 Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus:" Philip 2:5 Jesus was not only worried about Himself, He helped others also. He was a humble servant. So we can read our Bible and learn how to be more Christ like and how to have the Mind of Christ.

Upvote 0

Snoder

Jul 26, 2019
Seattle
✟10,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not suggesting it. I'm demonstrating it. How it came to be, I have no idea. (Bumblebees fly even though they are not "supposed to." :bee:)

You didn't suggest or demonstrate anything.

Not true. If the autism occurs first, then the autistic immune system is indirectly responsible for the subsequent, severe co-morbid conditions.

If you can explain how the blood-brain barrier of people with autism causes immunological disorders then I would be absolutely fascinated by it.

You need to set that down. Anaphylaxis can assault the central nervous system.

How does it assault CSF?

I get that. That is why you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to ASD3s, and by extension, ASD2s.

Stop "putting words in my mouth" and pay attention. Fetal-cell vaccines do not cause autism. They injure people who are already born autistic.

By what?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would love to hear you unpack that one
It is neuro-diversity. See my linked blog post. Most of the troubles experienced in Millennial Autism [ASD1.x+] are the consequences of an additional brain injury, not that of hereditary autism.

Upvote 0

Aleph.beth

Jul 12, 2019
aberdeen
✟10,825.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is neuro-diversity. See my linked blog post. Most of the troubles experienced in Millennial Autism [ASD1.x+] are the consequences of an additional brain injury, not that of hereditary autism.

Thank you for the prompt reply. However, I do not get the thrust of the reply.
How is ASD a gift? Your reply points to a page describing the different subtypes of ASD 1, 2 and 3. There is an emphasis on the Millennial Autism, and a suggestion of a link to brain injury (for ASD 2 and 3).

I am in my 60s so not millennial and probably ASD1 rather than 2 or 3. I am not aware of any brain injury in my history.

I still don't see the giftedness of ASD 1, but maybe it is just me being too literal.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I still don't see the giftedness of ASD 1, but maybe it is just me being too literal.
I am 57. ASD2 & 3 still happened in our generation, but it was very, very rare.

I was identified as "gifted" in elementary school, so I had to make peace with my differences early. If I wasn't going to be popular with the "in" crowd, I found friends in the others that they had rejected, other nerds & geeks [most likely undiagnosed Aspies]. About 12 years ago, I received an Aspergers/ASD1 diagnosis. I had been that way my whole life. Now, I had a name for it (and a better sense of my limitations). Being different has its down sides, but I liked its benefits, too. (Being free from a herd mentality is a big one.)

"Giftedness" & "ASD1" are both examples of neuro-diversity. Having both together is called "twice-exceptional" or 2e. And a high number of "gifties" & savants are also autistic, but not the other way around. (10% of autistics are savants. 90% of savants are autistic.)

Upvote 0