Is attending church on a regular basis important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightbearer3

Veteran
Apr 21, 2007
✟17,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is the problem with our Western individualistic society--we have lost all sense of the importance of the community. Church, which I'm using in the broader sense of fellowship with other believers, is not only for the edification of ourselves, but for the edification of others and the communal worship experience.

If all mature Christians felt like they no longer "needed" church for their faith, then from whom do new Christians learn to walk in the faith?

Friends/fellowship are a part of many churches. The church I attend now just took a trip to a amusement park, they also visit the zoo (the adults do this mainly for the children) they gather and visit people in our town and surrounding areas to invite them to church, they visit the sick and those in nursing homes, get togethers for pot luck meals, etc. It may take visiting a few churches and getting acquainted with a few of the people to find out what kinds of fellowship they have to offer.

Being taught the Word of God is so very important. We are taught by the Holy Spirit but I believe God reveals things to others that can be beneficial to the body as a whole. Knowing the Word of God and checking what is taught to us so that we can discern the truth is a must.

A physical building where believers gather encourages those who want to invite others who have not yet committed to Christ to come and hear the Bible taught and give them opportunities to repent and come to Christ.

A body of believers coming together is strength; where we might try to win some, minister to a few, teach a few, feed a few, etc., a body that operates under one covering is much more effective and covers a much greater area at a much faster pace. Where we might be able to give someone $10.00 for groceries a church would be able as a whole to buy them groceries for a week or more. Our church collected enough to dig a well in Africa so that a village would have clean water. It cost $3600.00 to dig that well and provide a pump. I could not do that by myself, but has whole my church was able because we all gave to that project so it would be accomplished. A church makes our witness, our power to help others and our voices much more effective and stronger.

Reactions: Cris413
Upvote 0

TankGirl

I'm normal, it's everyone else who's stiff
Nov 4, 2002
Stroud
Visit site
✟8,381.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My pastor's 6 year old son said to me in Sunday School this morning that you don't have to go to church to be a Christian. I answered him the way I answer everyone who says that to me - no, but it is harder.

I STRONGLY believe that, where possible, it is important for Christians to belong to, contribute to, learn from & grow in a body of believers. I believe it is biblical, and God's plan for His people to be in fellowship with one another.

My father has always violently hated "church", though he professes to be a christian. The truth is he can't bear anyone disagreeing with him. He left the church over 40 years ago because they didn't do things his way. The result of this is that he has spent 40+ years with only his own input. He has learned from no-one, been challenged by no-one, and contributed nothing spiritually to anyone else. He has, of course, gone completely of the rails, and believes he is in fact God, has a "ministry" to dead people, believes in fairies & elves, reincarnation, crop circles and aliens. And still categorically states that he is a follower of Christ (in fact a significantly more enlightened one than those of us who are "in bondage to the fear-driven church").

I believe that any of us can get off track and fall for any of the lies out there (and there are too many to count - we see them daily) if we don't humble ourselves to one another on a regular basis. The message I gave to my Sunday School class this morning was about being as little children to come to Jesus - being prepared to lean on Him (and others), to trust Him (and others), to learn from Him (and others), and to obey Him (and others). These are lessons we can only truly learn in a family of believers, where all contribute their individual gifts for the benefit of all.

Upvote 0

BustedFlat

All Glory goes to God
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2007
Houston Texas
Visit site
✟49,791.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Friends/fellowship are a part of many churches. The church I attend now just took a trip to a amusement park, they also visit the zoo (the adults do this mainly for the children) they gather and visit people in our town and surrounding areas to invite them to church, they visit the sick and those in nursing homes, get togethers for pot luck meals, etc. It may take visiting a few churches and getting acquainted with a few of the people to find out what kinds of fellowship they have to offer.

Being taught the Word of God is so very important. We are taught by the Holy Spirit but I believe God reveals things to others that can be beneficial to the body as a whole. Knowing the Word of God and checking what is taught to us so that we can discern the truth is a must.

A physical building where believers gather encourages those who want to invite others who have not yet committed to Christ to come and hear the Bible taught and give them opportunities to repent and come to Christ.

A body of believers coming together is strength; where we might try to win some, minister to a few, teach a few, feed a few, etc., a body that operates under one covering is much more effective and covers a much greater area at a much faster pace. Where we might be able to give someone $10.00 for groceries a church would be able as a whole to buy them groceries for a week or more. Our church collected enough to dig a well in Africa so that a village would have clean water. It cost $3600.00 to dig that well and provide a pump. I could not do that by myself, but has whole my church was able because we all gave to that project so it would be accomplished. A church makes our witness, our power to help others and our voices much more effective and stronger.
Amen!!!

As Jesus told us:
Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

The problem is us, we are too busy to spend a few minuets to say hi to our fellow believers. We are in too much of a hurry to return to our selves, and our world. We do our 90 minutes in the pew and concider that good for the week.
I can find a thousand excuses to leave in a hurry and can convince myself that the problem is with the others, with leadership, with the pastor, with an undue worldly effect in the body of believers.

The truth is that we are all in danger of falling away, fulfilling prophecy. We can only overcome it in ourselves, we can do nothing but set an example and pray for others.
We have to make the effort to fellowship, to hang out after the service and talk, to organize get-togethers for our fellow church-goers and make an effort to attend those that others have organized. It has nothing to do with the church but with each and every individual believer.

Reactions: Cris413
Upvote 0

Lightbearer3

Veteran
Apr 21, 2007
✟17,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Amen!!!

As Jesus told us:
Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.Scary! We need to pray for the body.

The problem is us, we are too busy to spend a few minuets to say hi to our fellow believers. We are in too much of a hurry to return to our selves, and our world. We do our 90 minutes in the pew and concider that good for the week.
I can find a thousand excuses to leave in a hurry and can convince myself that the problem is with the others, with leadership, with the pastor, with an undue worldly effect in the body of believers.

The truth is that we are all in danger of falling away, fulfilling prophecy. We can only overcome it in ourselves, we can do nothing but set an example and pray for others.
We have to make the effort to fellowship, to hang out after the service and talk, to organize get-togethers for our fellow church-goers and make an effort to attend those that others have organized. It has nothing to do with the church but with each and every individual believer.
I tried to just copy that scripture but it all showed up...have alot to learn about computers.:scratch:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.