Is attending church on a regular basis important?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTLauder

Aug 26, 2006
✟16,505.00
Faith
Protestant
While it's not mandated that we must gather together in fellowship, there is important purpose in it. If not for our own growth, but to help others grow as well:

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Heb 10:24-25

Upvote 0

Lightbearer3

Veteran
Apr 21, 2007
✟17,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While it's not mandated that we must gather together in fellowship, there is important purpose in it. If not for our own growth, but to help others grow as well:

And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. Heb 10:24-25
Yes...goood point!

Upvote 0

RefrusRevlis

May 25, 2007
Western Australia
✟8,084.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Hebrews 10 passage is the first one that came to mind when I read the title of the thread. But if you read on a little further the exhortation not to neglect assembling together gets more emphatic with the phrase in verse 26, "for if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins..." I don't think it is an accident that this comes straight after the verse which talks about not neglecting assembling/meeting together. Part of attending worship is to stir one another up to love and good works in mutual worship of the creator. Worship is not about entertaining each other, it is service to God. So the long and the short of it... I believe it is a sin to neglect worship.
Refrus

Upvote 0

Lightbearer3

Veteran
Apr 21, 2007
✟17,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What would be the reasons people might think they don't need/want to go to church?

I'll start it off with reason #1: They've been hurt by a church or a member of a church and don't want to trust again.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go to church, but trying to view it from their side.

There are other's I could list, but I'll see if you guys list them first.

Upvote 0

Lightbearer3

Veteran
Apr 21, 2007
✟17,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What about the poor that go to church, and find that they can not compete with the members wardrobes, and become ashamed because they only have, maybe, one set of good clothes for church?
Oh my goodness!! I have thought this before!! I thought to myself, well I only have work clothes...so I didn't go.
Very good point! Now I go to church where they don't care if you wear work clothes..and I have upgraded my wardrobe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MindyHere

May 23, 2007
central Illinois
Visit site
✟15,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I must admit that I have not been attending church regularly for years now. We moved out of state, and I had a hard time finding one that fit. Then we moved back and the one we'd attended as youths here just got too big and more and more controlling, and also the teachings just don't mesh with what I believe anymore.

It's no excuse - but anymore it's that I've gotten out of the habit. But now - I want to grow in Christ. And I need help understanding the Bible as I have a hard time seeing the meanings most of the time. I need to go to church for that.

Reactions: Lightbearer3
Upvote 0

Lightbearer3

Veteran
Apr 21, 2007
✟17,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I must admit that I have not been attending church regularly for years now. We moved out of state, and I had a hard time finding one that fit. Then we moved back and the one we'd attended as youths here just got too big and more and more controlling, and also the teachings just don't mesh with what I believe anymore.

It's no excuse - but anymore it's that I've gotten out of the habit. But now - I want to grow in Christ. And I need help understanding the Bible as I have a hard time seeing the meanings most of the time. I need to go to church for that.
Yes, it is hard to find a church at times that's right for your family/you. I need to grow closer myself....I'll say a prayer for you, if you want you pray for me.

Upvote 0

Lightbearer3

Veteran
Apr 21, 2007
✟17,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your walk with God feels like it is nowhere and you feel like "what's the use"? You have not been praying or reading the Bible and feel so guilty. You feel that you have lost your walk with God even though you try to live up right. Guilt is a great persuader...the enemy of our souls is a master at this. Telling us that we are unworthy and that we would be a hypocrite if we attend church. Or he will use something that we do that is in the grey area like smoke cigarettes. He truly is the accuser of the brethren.

Upvote 0

MindyHere

May 23, 2007
central Illinois
Visit site
✟15,205.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, it is hard to find a church at times that's right for your family/you. I need to grow closer myself....I'll say a prayer for you, if you want you pray for me.

I'll keep you in my prayers. We'll get there - after all - we have God on our side!

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What would be the reasons people might think they don't need/want to go to church?

I'll start it off with reason #1: They've been hurt by a church or a member of a church and don't want to trust again.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go to church, but trying to view it from their side.

There are other's I could list, but I'll see if you guys list them first.

A reason for not doing something would only be needed if one *must* do that something . If I am a child and I *must* go to school ( meaning that there are consequences for *not* doing so ) , I would need a legitimate reason for not going to school or I would suffer those consequences . If there is no *must* , no reason would be needed for not doing the must .

One would first need to agree that one *must* "go to church" and what "go to church" means . If there is a *must* , there would also be consequences . The only *musts* for a christian have the consequences of damnation and doing the *must* produces salvation and righteousness .

Upvote 0

FenderElctrc

JESUS IS AWESOME!!
Sep 20, 2006
Gotta keep it secret
Visit site
✟17,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
God's not a slave holder. We don't go because we have to. We go to church for ourselves and to stay righteous. You don't have to go to church. You can just read the Bible and study. "Feed" on God's Word. It's better to go to church though because you can fellowship with others. It's recommended. I just love God and I always want to be nourishing on His Word.

Upvote 0

Lightbearer3

Veteran
Apr 21, 2007
✟17,630.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I remember many years ago I was driving my truck when I had the urge to talk to God. I wasn't saved then, but I had a little knowledge of Him. I pulled over into a empty church parking lot and began to talk to God...just plain and simple, nothing fancy. I said: God I want to go to church, but there are so many doctrines and so many churches, I don't know which one to pick.

I think alot of people out in the world feel that way. They see all the different doctrines and become confused in choosing a church to go to.

Why do I remember this short prayer I said in my desperation? Thunder loudly rolled right after the words came out of my mouth, before this no clouds gave a hint of rain, in fact it didn't rain.

Upvote 0

wiggbuggie

Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
✟8,628.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
http://www.joywell.org/Sermons/dontmiss.html

I visited the above link and thought that this pator's sermon had some very good points, read it and see if you agree.

Why do you attend or not attend church on a regular basis?

I attend church mostly every sunday because its the logical choice to go and to praise and worship God the lord said we have 6 days to do our work and a day of rest and dedication to God in the 7th so going to church is reasonable but not required i mean you can worship in you own home or go to a christian group. Church is also the place to take part in breaking of the bread or communion to take the body of Christ

Upvote 0

RebeccatheGreat

May 26, 2007
Visit site
✟8,466.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I have not attended church for a few years.I never felt I belonged in any of the ones I did go to.
When we first moved here after I got saved we went to the church my Mom belonged to.I constantly felt like I was being checked for authenticity,but never did anyone reach out with friendship.it is a very small church run by mostly the same family,and there were some skeletons starting to fall out of the closet,so I left.
I went to a church an acquaintance belonged to, and liked it at first.it seemed to be pretty spirit filled. it was even smaller,and the only people in it were women....:confused:,the pastor was a lady,and she was really good.but again, I almost felt snubbed.they of course had all been friends for a long time,and my being shy....any way, rarely did anyone even look my way,let alone speak.they had no Bible studies or anything.that I knew of anyway.
I'm ready to start looking again, because I know I need and want fellowship with other believers.I just want to find some regular less than perfect people like me,if there is anyone.
I was a smoker for many years, and that kept me away.after years of praying & trying,God delivered my from that addiction two years ago,so I know that does hinder some people in their church going,even though I was a stronger Christian then than I am now,people do judge.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.