Is anime too atheist?

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Anime may not be atheistic, but it is am immoral culture. My daughter likes it and we went to one of the anime conventions. It was basically a toy/inappropriate content convention. Men dressed up as women, selling all manner of inappropriate content, people going around half naked, they let little kids into the convention. I mean they were selling sex toys at this convention. We left and won't be going back. You can call it secular or neutral all you want, but underneath the surface, it's not suitable for Christians. The same people that make the clean shows publish the inappropriate content.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Anime may not be atheistic, but it is am immoral culture. My daughter likes it and we went to one of the anime conventions. It was basically a toy/inappropriate content convention. Men dressed up as women, selling all manner of inappropriate content, people going around half naked, they let little kids into the convention. I mean they were selling sex toys at this convention. We left and won't be going back. You can call it secular or neutral all you want, but underneath the surface, it's not suitable for Christians. The same people that make the clean shows publish the inappropriate content.

Well the conventions have plenty of preverted freaks from what I have heard that's why I don't attend them but I also do know that the main anime production companies don't make the Hentia I wouldn't be surprised if alot of vendors at something like that sell both since there is small market in the U.S. for anime period.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Naruto & Bleach - Studio Pierrot, which distributed 80's inappropriate content anime. The American versions are cleaned up a bit, but it's the same folks. It's garbage.
Now I just looked over the list of there stuff on wikipedia I see alot of magic girl shows from the 80's. So are you trying to say that all magic girl shows are inappropriate content.

Upvote 0

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No, just that Studio Pierrot produces things that are not suitable for Christians. Urusei Yatsura contained nudity, for example, and a barely clad heroine, & risque dialogue.

Sometimes parents have to research these things.

The Japenese culture doesn't worry about decency too much in the world of anime. The conventions should be boycotted by any Christian, and parents need to be careful what they let their kids watch. Keep in mind it's a slow sneaky development from innocent to inappropriate content in this garbage.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, just that Studio Pierrot produces things that are not suitable for Christians. Urusei Yatsura contained nudity, for example, and a barely clad heroine, & risque dialogue.

Sometimes parents have to research these things.

The Japenese culture doesn't worry about decency too much in the world of anime. The conventions should be boycotted by any Christian, and parents need to be careful what they let their kids watch. Keep in mind it's a slow sneaky development from innocent to inappropriate content in this garbage.

You definetly have to do some looking before you buy anime parent or just plain consumer you also have to beaware that even if it ain't inappropriate contentographic no all anime is intended for childern. One problem I have noticed at least in some of your stores like Fye and Best Buy that they group all the anime togther.I think it would be helpful for parents if they put the kiddie series over with regular childern videos and the stuff geared towards adults and teenagers in the seperate anime section. I'm suggesting this would allevate the need of parents to research watch there kids are watching just that it would make it a little easier.

Upvote 0

Mankin

A Strange Mixture of Random Components.
Site Supporter
Apr 28, 2007
In the Norse Lands
✟54,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Usually at cons, most of the hentai and echi related stuff is kept in a different part of the place. As for the cross dressing, you'll get weirdos like that at every convention.

And uh I can name over 9000 series that are not inappropriate content related.

Vic Mignonga(an anime voice actor) sometimes does sermons on sundays at cons. He's a Christian.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Urusei Yatsura (or Ranma ½ or InuYasha, as they're also by Rumiko Takahashi - Ranma ½ actually having been one of my favorite series since high school) isn't inappropriate content, though, and neither does nudity, with or without ribald humor = inappropriate content. If it was inappropriate content, you'd see genitalia, masked over by mosaic censoring, since Japanese law mandates inappropriate contentographic material be censored (although when licensed and released in the U.S. the censoring is removed - but that material is not mainstream at all, clearly marked as 18+ and Adults Only, and sold in obscured packaging if a place like FYE carries it; otherwise you'd have to go actively looking for it). 'Genitalia' in this case is specifically the crotch area in graphic detail, not breasts.

It's just like in American cinema - you can't put National Lampoon, American Pie, or serious drama/romance fare that simply contains nudity in the same category as Debbie Does Dallas, Girls Gone Wild videos, all manner of stuff put out by Playboy, Hustler, Penthouse, or all the hardcore inappropriate contentography that the Internet has available on it. The latter is inappropriate content, the former is not.

They don't adhere to Victorian ideals of decency (because they never did), but that doesn't mean they don't worry about it or have standards that producers are not allowed to cross. Over-the-air broadcast cannot show either graphic nudity (i.e. no female nipples or such; vague outlines of body shape may be ok, and when there is detail, the parts are usually blurred or have convenient visual gags covering them like fog or nosebleeds or bats or so on) or on violent programs, blood that's actually red, for example - on the air, it's recolored to black, although the DVDs are completely uncensored if those elements were not actually part of the scene to begin with (American companies like Viz and Funimation are the only ones who produce 'clean' DVDs for the series they've licensed, and then only for the ones that air on TV - Dragonball Z, Bleach, Naruto, etc.). Cable and satellite broadcast may or may not have those restrictions, similar to how cable companies in the U.S. don't have to report to the FCC - most standard cable channels like TBS, Comedy Central, Sci-Fi, and USA voluntarily follow the FCC guidelines to some partial extent, but they don't have to. Premium channels like HBO and Showtime generally don't follow them at all. The situation in Japan is remarkably similar.

Japan is not scared of nudity, partly because the bath house culture is a very prominent fixture in the society (and bath houses are usually gender-segregated, although young children of either sex will accompany their parents into the respective area of the bath house; mixed bathing is usually an element of honeymoon retreats or sometimes generally in the country, not the cities). It's simply American Puritanical attitudes that killed it here, save for the occasional communal shower at the gym/gym class - in Europe it's not necessarily as prevalent either but saunas and spas are common (mixed or not), as well as nude or topless beaches (granted, we have those in the U.S. also, but far fewer high-profile ones than you'd see in Europe or Australia or practically anywhere else on the planet). There's nothing antithetical to Christianity about nudity - heck, baptisms in the Early Church were performed nude, and there's plenty of Christian art from the Renaissance and Medieval period that contain nudity.

This is all ignoring the fact that most anime and manga is not made for kids, and for 15+ and 17+ material, is aired at times of the day when children would not be watching = after the so-called 'watershed' hours, normally between 10 PM and 2 AM. The age range for most series/movies is 13 years old and over, with most of the ones that cater in sexualized fanservice/nudity/so on for either the 15+ or 17+ (still not inappropriate content = R-rated, not X-rated) demographics.

The bottom line here is, there is nothing in mainstream/broadcast anime that's more offensive, qualitatively, than shows we have here in America like The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, and American Dad - I would actually argue that the aforementioned American programs are more qualitatively offensive than most mainstream anime. The only difference is that anime is not restricted to being satirical comedy series or Saturday morning kids' fare, and can cover the full breadth of genres that novels, Hollywood movies, and prime time live action series can cover - often with better plotlines than the standard prime time and Hollywood drivel, I might add. Just because it's animation doesn't mean that those elements are suddenly more offensive or tawdry, or that one should hold it to a different standard than live action offerings or American media. And in addition to that, not all anime falls into that category to start with, or they only use it sparingly. Heavy fanservice series are still a minority when you consider the sheer amount of anime and manga produced yearly.

And having been to a couple of conventions, I'm wondering what con you're talking about - I've not seen anything approaching the sales of sex toys or inappropriate contentography in the vendor's room. If the con does have an area for that you would likely have to be carded to be able to enter that specific area of the hall, and that is not a fault of conventions in general, just the one you attended. Cosplay costumes sometimes being on the level of swimwear and the like is not all that shocking, but it is by no means the average. At its worst, it's no worse than what you'd see at a beach (and I mean a regular beach, not a nude/topless beach).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've never watched Urusei Yatsura, but I know it can't possibly be rated as inappropriate content because I am familiar with Rumiko Takahashi's other works, and Urusei ran in the same publication those did (which was Weekly Shounen Sunday, and would not be allowed to run adult material - Detective Conan/Case Closed also runs in the very same magazine if you want a comparison of something innocuous). All of them tend to be very slice-of-life situational comedies or action series, and while nudity is present in them, it's not as if it's a constant barrage. In the U.S., the books are typically rated 12 and up (although the same demographical skew would likely apply here as it did in Japan - see below).

As the Wikipedia article states,
Takahashi stated that the majority of Japanese Urusei Yatsura fans were high school and university students. The series peak readership figures were with 15-year olds, but the distribution of readers was skewed towards older males. She said that this was "very easy" for her since the ages of the readers were similar to her own age; Takahashi expressed happiness that people from her generation enjoy the series.
Note: Urusei Yatsura's run was from 1978-1987.

I've never watched Baywatch, simply because I think the premise was stupid and the only reason to do so would be to ogle Pamela Anderson, et al. The reasons to read anime/manga are usually more developed than that (I can't say totally, but usually).

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Qyöt27;54147235 said:
I've never watched Urusei Yatsura, but I know it can't possibly be rated as inappropriate content because I am familiar with Rumiko Takahashi's other works, and Urusei ran in the same publication those did (which was Weekly Shounen Sunday, and would not be allowed to run adult material - Detective Conan/Case Closed also runs in the very same magazine if you want a comparison of something innocuous). All of them tend to be very slice-of-life situational comedies or action series, and while nudity is present in them, it's not as if it's a constant barrage. In the U.S., the books are typically rated 12 and up (although the same demographical skew would likely apply here as it did in Japan - see below).

Thanks for the information.

I've never watched Baywatch, simply because I think the premise was stupid and the only reason to do so would be to ogle Pamela Anderson, et al. The reasons to read anime/manga are usually more developed than that (I can't say totally, but usually).
I don't know anime seems to be heading more and more that way with rise in the amount of ecchi shows and the fanservice getting more graphic. Well as far as Baywatch goes I haven't seen it in long while probably been close 13 years back when I used watch what can I say I was teenager and rather lonely and socialy akward one at that.

Upvote 0

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Usually at cons, most of the hentai and echi related stuff is kept in a different part of the place. As for the cross dressing, you'll get weirdos like that at every convention.

Well, the problem is with the "usually part". Any 5 year old at this convention could have walked up to a table and grabbed inappropriate content. Could be differently at other conventions, but there were not multiple rooms. It was all in one large convention center floor.

And uh I can name over 9000 series that are not inappropriate content related.
I'm sure.

Vic Mignonga(an anime voice actor) sometimes does sermons on sundays at cons. He's a Christian.:thumbsup:

There needs to be more like him.

Upvote 0

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Qyöt27;54147235 said:

It was described as soft inappropriate content on most of the sites I read about. I typically use wiki last for a reference source. But even the wiki article describes the character as lecherous. I know there are a lot of young people that like anime and will defend it, but the facts show that it's not an industry that has Christian ideals as anything remotely near it's foundation.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat

Well agreeing with much of CypberPaladin and Qyöt27, it's not that the Japanese don't worry about decency. They have censorship laws in regards to inappropriate contentography. They're different from our laws. In some ways, Japanese culture is just as prudish about nudity like people in America. And I don't know what you mean by it being inappropriate contentographic. I also have seen parts of Urusei Yatsura. There's nudity but not inappropriate content.

inappropriate content is showing people engaging in sexual acts.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Well agreeing with much of CypberPaladin and Qyöt27, it's not that the Japanese don't worry about decency. They have censorship laws in regards to inappropriate contentography. They're different from our laws. In some ways, Japanese culture is just as prudish about nudity like people in America. And I don't know what you mean by it being inappropriate contentographic. I also have seen parts of Urusei Yatsura. There's nudity but not inappropriate content.

inappropriate content is showing people engaging in sexual acts.

Well, seeing as how you are a humanist, I'm not sure my opinions will make much sense to you. Do you think it wise to watch shows with nudity? How about allowing your children to watch it? Why is it that the characters have so few clothes on, when they could tell the same story with more clothes and less provocative behavior? All I'm saying is that it is a subculture that's not focused on Christian values at all, and some caution needs to be taken.

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, seeing as how you are a humanist, I'm not sure my opinions will make much sense to you. Do you think it wise to watch shows with nudity? How about allowing your children to watch it? Why is it that the characters have so few clothes on, when they could tell the same story with more clothes and less provocative behavior? All I'm saying is that it is a subculture that's not focused on Christian values at all, and some caution needs to be taken.

Yes, but before I considered myself a humanist I was raised as Christian and was a devout Christian. I had the same feelings you had about watching nudity, so your opinions make total sense to me.

I don't see the harm nudity does. What harm will it due if my child sees a woman's nipple? In fact, I would shield my children from the rampant violence that's in a lot of anime. To me that's much more harmful than seeing nudity.

I think the reason why there's proactive clothing in anime is I think it has a lot do with showing some kind of fanservice as we have been talking about thus far. There's a belief that if you show it people will watch it more, a belief I don't agree with it.

I understand that anime isn't Christian and you have every right to feel that caution needs to be taken, so if you want to shield your child from nudity that's your right, I just don't really see the harm.

Upvote 0

CyberPaladin

Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
✟53,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jnwaco I agree with that conventions aren't a good place for kids but you got to do your homework on this stuff and not blame the item. There is alot of stuff I do never let a 5 year old do. I would never take a 5 year old to anime convention, show them alot of the shows I watch that anime or otherwise, or let them play a good bulk of the game I do.

Upvote 0

Jnwaco

Jan 26, 2010
✟9,303.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but before I considered myself a humanist I was raised as Christian and was a devout Christian. I had the same feelings you had about watching nudity, so your opinions make total sense to me.

I don't see the harm nudity does. What harm will it due if my child sees a woman's nipple? In fact, I would shield my children from the rampant violence that's in a lot of anime. To me that's much more harmful than seeing nudity.

I think the reason why there's proactive clothing in anime is I think it has a lot do with showing some kind of fanservice as we have been talking about thus far. There's a belief that if you show it people will watch it more, a belief I don't agree with it.

I understand that anime isn't Christian and you have every right to feel that caution needs to be taken, so if you want to shield your child from nudity that's your right, I just don't really see the harm.

Can you explain why the violence is a concern? (I agree with that, too, BTW)

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Can you explain why the violence is a concern? (I agree with that, too, BTW)

Well for me, I think we're already desensitized to violence enough as it as a society. I mean if you really think about it, we certain kinds of violence (granted that's it generally light) funny. It goes back to the issue of a child seeing someone cause harm to another person.

Even with some anime, extreme violence is usually there for a reason. Though you could probably say the same for nudity in some cases.

Also I know that even if a child is exposed to violence, I know that it probably won't have any kind impact on them being violent in the future.

I guess I'm just more uncomfortable with the fact that some people will think nothing of letting their child see someone getting their head blown off. But have objections to their child seeing nudity.

Upvote 0