Is acupuncture a sin?

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,672.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering if I should go for a traditional oriental acupuncture session for the health of my body. Is it permissible for Christians to receive acupuncture or is it New Agey and demonic like Chakras and Kundili and such?
Why would it be "New Agey"? As far as I know, there's no special religious ceremony that you have to perform in order to receive acupuncture.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I was wondering if I should go for a traditional oriental acupuncture session for the health of my body. Is it permissible for Christians to receive acupuncture or is it New Agey and demonic like Chakras and Kundili and such?

Ordinarily, there should be no problems.

My mother had great success with a Christian acupuncturist who has sadly retired, and she has not had the same level of pain relief from a spinal injury decades ago since that time about twelve years ago.

On the other hand, the same acupuncturist had no positive effect on me.

Now, acupuncture is based on traditional Chinese medicine, which is conceptually distantly related to Taoism and Confucianism and other folk beliefs, insofar as it believes in four elements and Qi, a flow of energy, but traditional Western medicine is likewise even today distantly related to ancient Greek philosophy in terms of the naming of specialities, the Hippocratic Oath, and the pioneering work of Greek and Roman and Arabic doctor-philosophers such as Hippocrates, Galen, Avicenna, and some more recent practitioners of Alchemy, the same mystical pseudoscience that features prominently in Taoism and neo-Gnostic occult heresies, notably the German Paracelsus who had the insight “the dose makes the poison.” Of course, Western medicine has moved on mostly from those ideas of the past debunked by science, such as the Four Humours and the Five Elements, except for Chiropractic medicine, which is mostly quackery (my mother was once seriously injured by a chiropractor and I have been advised by my doctors to not see them due to the specifics of the disease which afflicts me) whereas Traditional Chinese Medicine still holds to a similiar set of beliefs.

However, unlike many forms of alternative medicine, my understanding is that acupuncture has been shown to have some efficacy, and if it works its a great alternative to, for example, having to use opiods, which are becoming harder for chronic pain sufferers with legitimate prescriptions to obtain, not to mention victims of acute pain, and the terminally ill, with a national shortage affecting hydrocodone in particular, largely due to regulatory issues, despite the fact that there now exist effective computer-based prescription systems in every state that completely prevent doctor shopping, and the opioid epidemic now consists mainly of people dying from the abuse of illegally obtained fentanyl (the only legitimate uses for fentanyl are in the OR and in the care of the terminally ill; using fentanyl without being monitored by an anaesthesiologist is insane because it is hundreds of times more potent than even morphine, let alone painkillers like norco or percocet).

So by the way please pray for chronic pain sufferers who are experiencing diffficulty accessing lawfully prescribed medications. A year ago they were readily available at most pharmacies but in some areas are now hard to find even at CVS or Rite Aid or Walgreens, with the small independent pharmacies that often used to specialize in pain management now being completely unable to source them in many cases.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,513.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ordinarily, there should be no problems.

My mother had great success with a Christian acupuncturist who has sadly retired, and she has not had the same level of pain relief from a spinal injury decades ago since that time about twelve years ago.

On the other hand, the same acupuncturist had no positive effect on me.

Now, acupuncture is based on traditional Chinese medicine, which is conceptually distantly related to Taoism and Confucianism and other folk beliefs, insofar as it believes in four elements and Qi, a flow of energy, but traditional Western medicine is likewise even today distantly related to ancient Greek philosophy in terms of the naming of specialities, the Hippocratic Oath, and the pioneering work of Greek and Roman and Arabic doctor-philosophers such as Hippocrates, Galen, Avicenna, and some more recent practitioners of Alchemy, the same mystical pseudoscience that features prominently in Taoism and neo-Gnostic occult heresies, notably the German Paracelsus who had the insight “the dose makes the poison.” Of course, Western medicine has moved on mostly from those ideas of the past debunked by science, such as the Four Humours and the Five Elements, except for Chiropractic medicine, which is mostly quackery (my mother was once seriously injured by a chiropractor and I have been advised by my doctors to not see them due to the specifics of the disease which afflicts me) whereas Traditional Chinese Medicine still holds to a similiar set of beliefs.

However, unlike many forms of alternative medicine, my understanding is that acupuncture has been shown to have some efficacy, and if it works its a great alternative to, for example, having to use opiods, which are becoming harder for chronic pain sufferers with legitimate prescriptions to obtain, not to mention victims of acute pain, and the terminally ill, with a national shortage affecting hydrocodone in particular, largely due to regulatory issues, despite the fact that there now exist effective computer-based prescription systems in every state that completely prevent doctor shopping, and the opioid epidemic now consists mainly of people dying from the abuse of illegally obtained fentanyl (the only legitimate uses for fentanyl are in the OR and in the care of the terminally ill; using fentanyl without being monitored by an anaesthesiologist is insane because it is hundreds of times more potent than even morphine, let alone painkillers like norco or percocet).

So by the way please pray for chronic pain sufferers who are experiencing diffficulty accessing lawfully prescribed medications. A year ago they were readily available at most pharmacies but in some areas are now hard to find even at CVS or Rite Aid or Walgreens, with the small independent pharmacies that often used to specialize in pain management now being completely unable to source them in many cases.
Thanks. I will do it since I don't adhere to any folk beliefs or anything of that kind. I separate the medicine from the dogma and see if it will help my body.

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nah, it's as mundane as wheel bearings. You get stuck with needles, and they relieve your symptoms or don't. Pretty much like any other medical treatment. Worked for my daughter's arthritis, didn't work for her mom's. Nothing even vaguely religious involved.

Upvote 0