Is a rebellion against praise and worship music inevitable?

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
Twin Brooks, South Dakota
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Internet Monk
August 30, 2011
Someone Has to Put a Foot Down

Today, I’m writing about one song.
Churches everywhere sing it these days.
Many, many well-known artists in the Christian music industry have covered this song.
It has a pious, emotional backstory that people find inspiring.
It rose to #8 on Billboard Christian Songs in 2009.
It was #4 in the US iTunes Top 100 Christian Songs for 2010.
The David Crowder Band version of the song was a big hit that was nominated for a Dove Award in 2010.
It was #16 in the CCLI Top 25 Songs used by churches and ministries in the period between October 1, 2010 and March 31, 2011.
I have read comments about this song like this: “This song is starting a revolution. Simply singing it can change your heart. Continue singing it throughout your day and you find yourself intimately in God’s presence.”
No one seems to have a bad word to say about this song, except during a tempest-in-a-teapot controversy that arose over one line in the lyric that was deemed too “mushy” for worship music.
I am sure a lot more could be said about this song from its admirers. But as I stood in a megachurch in the suburbs of Chicago on Sunday listening to and trying, with difficulty, to sing this song for the first time, I was amazed at the violent sense of dislike and utter bewilderment I felt within me. “This may be the worst song I have ever heard in a Christian service!” I thought. And yet it formed the emotional peak of the “worship” gathering. The band was clearly into it. The audience, er, congregation seemed to enjoy it. The pastor could only say, “Wow!” as he came forward to speak after the song’s conclusion.
My jaw may have actually dropped. Surely he was joking. I, for one, had found the song completely incomprehensible.
The band had just led the congregation in the popular “worship” song, “How He Loves,” by John Mark McMillan.
Believe it or not, I’m so separated from the evangelical consumer-industrial complex these days that this was the first time I’d heard it. Not impressed. In fact, it seems like almost every time I attend a service that uses praise and worship songs, I come away shaking my head over the degeneration of quality and content in our congregational repertoire of music.
■First of all, the poetry is dreadful, almost incoherent.
■Second, the lyric is incredibly clumsy, almost unsingable.
■Third, the metaphors are strained and mixed to the point of utter confusion.
■Fourth, the only real “power” the song has is the continual repetition of the line, “How he loves [us]“ as the band builds intensity, à la a million other pop-rock songs.
■Fifth, it is individualistic to the point of being narcissistic, despite part of a verse that, inexplicably, is written in the plural. Whether one sings the controversial “sloppy wet kiss” line or not, this turns out to be just another song about “me and Jesus” and how he “meets me” in my experience without giving any context of the church, the Gospel, or the words of Scripture. It represents a perfect model of personal “spirituality without religion.”
If I were still a worship and music pastor, there is no way on earth I would allow this song to be sung in corporate worship, much less make it the focal point of the service!
So let it be sung by the folkie pouring his heart out to an audience! But this little personal inspiration piece is simply not appropriate for the corporate worship of Christians who have gathered to celebrate the Gospel and hear God’s Word.
Stop basing your decisions about music on the “Top 40″ model. Guard the corporate worship service and stop taking the easy way out, pandering to the tastes of audiences who want primarily to have their ears tickled while chills run up and down their spines.
Build congregations, not audiences.
Make disciples, not entertainment or emotional thrill seekers.

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Casting Crowns is a Grammy Award and Dove Award winning Contemporary Christian/Christian Rock band. Casting Crowns was started in 1999 by youth pastor Mark Hall at First Baptist Church in Downtown Daytona Beach, Florida as part of a youth group. He now serves as a lead vocalist. Later they moved to Stockbridge, Georgia and more members joined creating the band now known as Casting Crowns. Some members of the band currently work as ministers for Eagles Landing First Baptist Church in Stockbridge, Georgia.
Self-titled debut
Mark Miller took the group into the studio along with co-producer Steven Curtis Chapman, himself a popular artist on the CCM musical scene. The resulting eponymous album, Casting Crowns, was released in 2003 on the Beach Street imprint. The album quickly made them one of the fastest selling debut artists in Christian music history.
Lifesong (2005)
The Altar and the Door (2007)
Until the Whole World Hears (2009
Until the Whole World Hears, was released on November 17, 2009, debuting at #4 on the Billboard 200 and selling over 167,000 copies in its first week alone, setting a new record for the highest Christian album debut in history. It was certified gold within 4 weeks. The title track and first single from the album became the groups ninth #1 single in January 2010.
Come to the Well (2011)

Patrol
August 31, 2007
Casting Crowns, “Altar & Door”
In the beginning was “We Are the Body,” a harsh critique of upper-class church snobbery.
Until, it seems, they discovered “X&Y”. On “The Altar and the Door”, the Crowns’ intolerable strike three, they detail their bloated sound with Coldplayish soundstage elements, making for a lineup that sounds like a very bad Crowns album produced by Chris Martin.
The power-ballad first single “East to West” finally gives the album’s thus-far dry soundscape some melody. Though the first line mentions “drowning in your sea of forgetfulness”[?], Casting Crowns lyrics get a lot worse. It’s too heavily washed in weepy strings to be any good (and the female vocalists never fail to add an out-of-place, disjointed element), but it’s the first bit so far that’s even slightly listenable.
It is only that fleeting taste of their foreign travels, and perhaps a bit of well-placed Coldplay theft, that saves “The Altar and the Door” from being a heavy-hearted artistic failure.
Critical Roundup: We’re not alone this time. “Altar”’s reviews have so far ranged from tepid to complete pans. Christianity Today calls it “surprisingly lackluster,” marked with “meandering melodies and an all-too-solemn disposition.” JesusFreakHideout says it’s “more of what we’ve all come to expect from Casting Crowns: lack of originality, and millions of records sold.” Predictably roundabout, CMCentral concludes that you’ll only like it “if your emphasis is on the message more than the music.” CCM is the odd one out, inexplicably prattling about Casting Crowns’ “gift for being entertaining, challenging, thought-provoking and encouraging all within the course of one finely crafted album.”

ChristianBlog.Com
Posted: Jul 06 2008 by backcheck
What a Ridiculous Review of Casting Crowns...
Casting Crowns is too preachy? And the album sounds nothing like Coldplay and judging by their record sales for The Altar and the Door, their airplay on stations like K-Love and AirOne, their ever-increasing fan base, and their numerous Dove Awards, I'd say you're pretty wrong.

Come to the Well is the fifth studio album by Contemporary Christian band Casting Crowns.
The musical sound of "Come to the Well" is generally pop rock, worship, and rock. Other genres such as adult contemporary, pop, and country are influences on the project. "My Own Worst Enemy" is influenced by grunge and hard rock, while "Spirit Wind" is influenced by bluegrass, country, and folk rock. "Almost There" and "Wedding Day" have been compared to "Clocks-era Coldplay", while "Courageous" is a soft rock song. "Jesus, Friend of Sinners" has been described as a 'pop hymn'.

allmusic.com
Altar and the Door review by Jared Johnson
The first three tracks showcase more grunge guitar than could be heard on all of Lifesong.

Rhapsody
Casting Crowns' self-titled debut took the Christian rock underground by storm in 2003 with a glut of melodic, guitar-based rockers. Opening with "What If His People Prayed," the album features tunes that share similar ground with adult contemporary Christian rockers like Caedmon's Call and Steven Curtis Chapman, though elements of '90s grunge influence songs like "American Dream" and "Glory."

CD Universe
Casting Crowns - Peace on Earth CD
With 2008's PEACE ON EARTH, Casting Crowns joins many of its Christian-rock peers in the we-finally-made-a-holiday-album club. Peace on Earth music CDs In contrast to its regular studio offerings, the Florida-based band generally avoids its guitar-heavy post-grunge sound, instead employing a string section to stirring affect.

Until the Whole World Hears
The overall sound of Until the Whole World Hears has been described as 'pure American rock', 'soft adult contemporary', and 'CCM'. Robert Ham of Christianity Today regarded the album as comparable to the sound of rock bands Creed and Nickelback. One critic observed that most of the songs on the album "start off with chords plunked out on a piano or strummed slowly on a guitar, letting the song build slowly toward a massive wave of sound". The title track has been described as having a "real rock vibe" infused by electric guitar riffs, while "Shadow of Your Wings" has been described as an "unashamed rock-n-roll jam". "Joyful, Joyful" is driven by a "pulsing" and "driving" string section that "calls to mind Coldplay's 'Viva la Vida'".

Casting Crowns is too preachy and sounds like Coldplay? Could be.

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Salem has been playing Blessed Be Your Name by Matt Redman in rotation and it is not the original guitar version but it is some kind of electronic synthesized version and I can’t find out on the Internet where it is from.
So it seems like I’m going to have to listen to it for the next three months and it is not as good as the original version.

Which reminds me to mention that Big Daddy Weave covered Hold Me Jesus by Rich Mullins and ruined it and Lincoln Brewster covered Shout to the Lord by Darlene Zschech and ruined it.

What is wrong with you modern CCM/praise and worship music artists that you are so used to crappy music that you think nothing of covering a classic and turning it to crap and you get a hit out of it anyway?

Freefall by Royal Tailor
Unfamiliar 2 Play it the same

Come To Me by Jamie Grace

Shadows by Samestate
Unfamiliar 1 Play it less

Beautiful You by Trent Monk

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Salem plays Nothing Left to Lose by Mat Kearney and You and Me by Lifehouse in rotation and Nothing Left to Lose was released in 2006 and You and Me was released in 2005. Why?

Salem has played Ships in the Night by Mat Kearney which is a 2011 song, so maybe the deal is that Salem started playing Mat Kearney on AC CCM only recently and Salem is playing Nothing Left to Lose because it is Mat Kearney’s most popular song.

Why is Ships in the Night on AC CCM radio at all? What is particularly Christian about Ships in the Night? Maybe you could say it is “family-friendly”.

Why is Nothing Left to Lose on AC CCM radio at all? It is not a bad folk rocker sort of song for secular radio, but what is particularly Christian about Nothing Left to Lose?

You could say that You and Me is family-friendly and belongs on family-friendly radio.

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I went to the FromADaughter.Blogspot and saw a list of top ten favorite Christian songs:

Rhett Walker Band~When Mercy Found Me
TobyMac~Me Without You
Barlow Girl~ Beautiful Ending
DC Talk~ Boomin'
Tenth Avenue North~ Losing
For King and Country~ Busted Heart (Hold on to Me)
MercyME~ The Hurt & The Healer
Britt Nicole~ All This Time
Newsboys~ God's NOT Dead
Natalie Grant~ I Will Not Be Moved

I commented on this selection of songs, but my comment wasn’t published. Maybe I cursed and did not bless enough.

First of all, at least 7 of these 10 songs are rather current. Is this list supposed to be all-time favorites or just current hit favorites? The DC Talk song leads me to believe these are supposed to be her all-time favorites. Isn’t there some old Chris Tomlin song or old Aaron Shust song that deserves to be on her list of favorites? So it seems that people who listen to CCM radio today don’t really have favorites: they just eat up whatever song comes along next and barely remember what came along before.

I like these songs:

As for these songs:
Barlow Girl can be okay, so I’m not arguing about this song.
DC Talk~ Boomin'
DC Talk can be okay, so I’m not arguing about this song.
Natalie Grant can be okay, so I’m not arguing about this song.

I disagree on these songs:
TobyMac~Me Without You
This song has a good message, but TobyMac goes “ou – ou – ou – ou – ou” (I went to a lyrics site and that’s what it said) like a monkey or ape.
Tenth Avenue North may have good message in their songs, but I don’t want to listen to them. I don’t know why they are so popular. If I want to listen to a good message in a song with a lackluster tune, I might as well listen to a hymn. As I rate most praise and worship songs an automatic 1, I rate most any song from Tenth Avenue North an automatic 1. The difference between Tenth Avenue North and Addison Road is like night and day as far as I’m concerned.
Some group actually released a song called Busted Heart. Huckleberry Finn grammar, kind of lame lyrics and it has a rather lackluster tune.
This song is kind of good, but Britt Nicole goes “Oh-oh-oh-OH-oh-oh-oh-OOHH” (I went to a lyrics site and that’s what it said). When I think of this song, I think of “Oh-oh-oh-OH-oh-oh-oh-OOHH”. When in the history of CCM has a female artist ever gone “Oh-oh-oh-OH-oh-oh-oh-OOHH” before? Is it a good thing that one is going “Oh-oh-oh-OH-oh-oh-oh-OOHH” now? Not that I know.
Newsboys~ God's NOT Dead
Newsboys basically replaced Petra in the ‘90s, although I didn’t realize it until 2006. But Newsboys had some duds. You know the chorus to God’s Not Dead, but what’s the rest of the song? The song is 4:18 long but about all you remember is just the chorus. That isn’t good enough, and that makes God’s Not Dead a dud.

Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2012
Ohio
✟15,239.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I went to the FromADaughter.Blogspot and saw a list of top ten favorite Christian songs:

TobyMac~Me Without You
DC Talk~ Boomin'
Newsboys~ God's NOT Dead

I commented on this selection of songs, but my comment wasn’t published. Maybe I cursed and did not bless enough.

First of all, at least 7 of these 10 songs are rather current. Is this list supposed to be all-time favorites or just current hit favorites? The DC Talk song leads me to believe these are supposed to be her all-time favorites. Isn’t there some old Chris Tomlin song or old Aaron Shust song that deserves to be on her list of favorites? So it seems that people who listen to CCM radio today don’t really have favorites: they just eat up whatever song comes along next and barely remember what came along before.

I like these songs:

As for these songs:
Barlow Girl can be okay, so I’m not arguing about this song.
DC Talk~ Boomin'
DC Talk can be okay, so I’m not arguing about this song.
Natalie Grant can be okay, so I’m not arguing about this song.

I disagree on these songs:
TobyMac~Me Without You
This song has a good message, but TobyMac goes “ou – ou – ou – ou – ou” (I went to a lyrics site and that’s what it said) like a monkey or ape.
Tenth Avenue North may have good message in their songs, but I don’t want to listen to them. I don’t know why they are so popular. If I want to listen to a good message in a song with a lackluster tune, I might as well listen to a hymn. As I rate most praise and worship songs an automatic 1, I rate most any song from Tenth Avenue North an automatic 1. The difference between Tenth Avenue North and Addison Road is like night and day as far as I’m concerned.
Some group actually released a song called Busted Heart. Huckleberry Finn grammar, kind of lame lyrics and it has a rather lackluster tune.
This song is kind of good, but Britt Nicole goes “Oh-oh-oh-OH-oh-oh-oh-OOHH” (I went to a lyrics site and that’s what it said). When I think of this song, I think of “Oh-oh-oh-OH-oh-oh-oh-OOHH”. When in the history of CCM has a female artist ever gone “Oh-oh-oh-OH-oh-oh-oh-OOHH” before? Is it a good thing that one is going “Oh-oh-oh-OH-oh-oh-oh-OOHH” now? Not that I know.
Newsboys~ God's NOT Dead
Newsboys basically replaced Petra in the ‘90s, although I didn’t realize it until 2006. But Newsboys had some duds. You know the chorus to God’s Not Dead, but what’s the rest of the song? The song is 4:18 long but about all you remember is just the chorus. That isn’t good enough, and that makes God’s Not Dead a dud.

I love Tenth Avenue North, I always appreciate the message they try to tell.

If all you remember is the chorus from God's Not Dead that is your problem. Just because you can't remember lyrics to a song doesn't make the song a dud, that just proves your getting OLD. I would know, my parents are both 50.

Newsboys did not write God's Not Dead. They simply covered it and made it very popular. As for the actual band, they got Michael Tate as their new lead singer in the past two years, and I am very happy in the direction the band is going. I loved them as a kid, but then they went through a stage of keeping the same "sound" and not moving forward, that is, until they got Michael Tate. Michael Tate and Toby Mac were in dctalk together and were the only ones that really pursued the music career after dctalk.

Oh, and dctalk didn't write or ever cover Boomin, TobyMac did, a former member.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
At first I rated God's Not Dead a 3. Then a 2. Then a 1. Why? Because all I can remember from it mostly is the chorus. I guess I know what I'm talking about.

You're right. Boomin' is TobyMac 2007. From A Daughter said it was by DC Talk.

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It wasn't until their 1992 album, Not Ashamed, that the band gained notice in the Christian music scene.
In 1994, amidst continued lineup changes, the band released Going Public, their fifth album and first real success.

In the John Schlitt era, Petra NEEDED to be replaced as the standard Christian rock band.

I just didn't realize that a bunch of wimpy-sounding guys from Australia were the ones to do it.

If Newsboys weren't the ones who replaced Petra, who did? What Christian rock band in the last 25 years has a bigger string of good songs than the Newsboys?

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Family Friendly Radio WCIC
Your opinion is very important to us, and decisions are made regularly based on your feed back through the Music Advisory Panel. Thanks! Please let us know what you think about these particular songs…

Ocean Wide The Afters
Unfamiliar 3 Play it the same

Sound Of Your Voice Jaci Velasquez

Slow Fade Casting Crowns
Familiar 3 Play it the same

Hold Me Jesus Rich Mullins
Familiar 5 Play it more

He Reigns Newsboys
Familiar 4 Play it more

It's Your Life Francesca Battistelli
Familiar 4 Play it more

Born Again Third Day
Familiar 1 Play it less

Made To Love TobyMac
Familiar 3 Play it more

Spent The Great Romance

Savior, Please Josh Wilson

You're Not Alone Downhere
Unfamiliar 2 Play it less

He Will Carry Me Mark Schultz
Unfamiliar 3 Play it more

I Need You To Love Me BarlowGirl

God You Reign Lincoln Brewster

I'm For You TobyMac

You Know Where To Find Me Matthew West

Does Anybody Hear Her Casting Crowns

Something Beautiful Newsboys
Familiar 4 Play it more

Beauty Of The Cross Jonny Diaz
Familiar 4 Play it more

Lift Up Your Face Third Day

Only Grace Matthew West
Familiar 4 Play it more

All Because Of Jesus Fee

Matchless Aaron Shust

You Are More Tenth Avenue North

Lose My Soul Toby Mac
Familiar 3 Play it more

In The Hands Of God Newsboys

The Heart Of Worship Matt Redman
Familiar 2 Play it the same

A Thousand Hallelujahs Mark Roach

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
For King & Country, stylised as for KING & COUNTRY and formerly known as Joel & Luke, is a contemporary Christian alternative rock duo composed of Australian-American brothers Joel & Luke Smallbone.

Hmm. What is alternative rock?

Urban Dictionary

1. Alternative Rock
An umbrella term used to describe a style of music that emerged in the late 80's and early 90's. Alternative Rock is usually characterized by bands who have a "do-it-yourself" or non-conformist attitude; hence "alternative".
It originated with the jangle pop guitar sounds of R.E.M. and the loud/soft dynamic of the Pixies and gained popularity when Nirvana brought it into the mainstream with their album Nevermind. Ironically, it became probably the most popular music of the time period, which was a paradox of sorts in itself -- although purposely anti-mainstream and "against the norm", it became commonplace for people to conform to non-conformity.
Today, the term is often thrown around by people who don't really understand what it means and think that it can be applied to any band of their choosing. This is not true -- for a band to be truly Alternative, they have to follow the Alternative mindset; that is, they must either perform in a style of Alternative Rock already established (see Grunge or Britpop) or be avant-garde and completely throw what it considered usual or average out the window.

5. Alternative Rock
A catch-all phrase categorizing whatever music dorky high school kids listen to despite the fact that alternative rock can be quite varied musically. For example, the Red Hot Chili Peppers sound much different than Disturbed, yet both may be considered alternative rock. On the other hand, Disturbed sounds exactly like 3 Days Grace and Nickelback.
As punk was defined more by an attitude and an ethos than a particular style of music, so is alternative rock. That ethos is bands joining together all over America to make bland, passionless insincere rock music with lyrics about depression and breakups to cash in on teenage angst and stupidity.
Listening to alternative rock past high school is good indicator of a mental disability

1. grunge
GRUNGE MUSIC
-Has a dirty guitar sound, strong riffs, and heavy drumming
-Guitars usually tuned to a lower key
-Commonly used guitar distortion and feedback
-Draws heavily on Punk
-Lyrics are typically angst-filled, angry, frustrated, sad, fearsome, and depressed
-Some people dont like Nirvana because they were the most popular band and overshadowed bands like Alice In Chains and Soundgarden
ETHICS
-Take as little effort as possible on appearence and dress for comport and affordability
-Reject the idea that one must always purchase the things that one wants or needs from others
-Like obscure indie bands, but disown those bands when they sign to major lables
-Never follow trends
ATTITUDE
-Strive for apathy and underachiement
-Act like you dont care, even if you do
-Usually have cynnical and negative outlooks upon life
-Respect women and reject jocks
BUILD UP AND BREAK DOWN
1987 - Mark Arm of Green River and Mudhoney first uses the word Grunge
1990 - Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone ODs on heroin
1991 - Nirvana

Well, here you go. Christian alternative rock.

Busted Heart (Hold On To Me) Lyrics
Artist: For King & Country
Album: Crave
Genre: Rock

Winter has come back again
Feels like the season won't end
My faith is dying tonight
And I won't try to pretend

I've got it all figured out
I don't have any doubts
I've got a busted heart
I need You now
Yeah, I need You now

(Chorus)
Hold on to me, hold on to me
Don't let me lose my way
Hold on to me

I am the wandering son
Your love is never enough
I keep chasing the wind
Instead of chasing Your love
I'm screaming out Your name
Don't let me fall on my face
I've got a busted heart
I'm in need of a change
I'm desperate for grace

Hold on to me, take all of me
Don't let me lose my way
Hold on to me

Broke Your heart a thousand times
But You've never left my side
You have always been here for me

You never let me go
You never let me go
Don't ever let me go

Don't let me lose my way
Hold on to me

Don't let me lose my way
Hold on to me

Until it comes to an end
Soon this season will end
I'll surrender tonight
You meet me right where I am

Is Christian alternative rock really a good idea? Didn’t we get along just fine for years without it?

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Formula for writing Christian alternative rock

Let’s look at Busted Heart and see if we can pick up some tips for writing Christian alternative rock.

Is the song going to be to God, to another person, about God, or what?
To God seems to go over good with the Christian alternative rock market and praise and worship music market.
To another person is also good for Christian alternative rock. See Don’t Give Up by Calling Glory and Don’t Give Up by Sanctus Real.
About God can be okay for Christian alternative rock, especially if your Christian alternative rock song is also a praise and worship song at the same time.
The ultimate Christian alternative rock song writing would be having the song both to God and about God at the same time. See Mighty To Save by Laura Story.

Don’t care about tune. Just have lyrics and lots of angst. Milk the lines for all they’re worth and repeat them. Have a spiritual breakdown or nervous breakdown recorded for all the world to hear on CCM radio over and over and over. Some listeners will identify with the song and love it and make it one of their favorite songs. Sound depressing like you can barely go on.

Winter has come back again
Feels like the season won't end

Make a reference to the weather or everyday life whether or not it has anything to do with the rest of the song.

My faith is dying tonight
And I won't try to pretend

Your faith is dying tonight? Why are you praying to God if you have no faith in God?
Put something like that in your song.

I've got it all figured out
I don't have any doubts
I've got a busted heart

So you figured out without a doubt that you’ve got a busted heart. What do you mean by a busted heart? Is having a busted heart a good thing or a bad thing?
Put something like that in your song. And better yet, never say what a busted heart is.

I need You now
Yeah, I need You now

Well, who doesn’t need God now? But tell it to God anyway.

Don't let me lose my way
Hold on to me

Yeah, you need God to hold on to you and not let you lose your way. Make sure you say “hold on to me” at least three times in the chorus.

I am the wandering son
Your love is never enough
I keep chasing the wind
Instead of chasing Your love

This is possibly the best part of the song but you can put more angst in the other parts of the song.

I'm screaming out Your name
Don't let me fall on my face
I've got a busted heart
I'm in need of a change
I'm desperate for grace

Yeah, repent and put some angst into it.

Don't let me lose my way
Hold on to me

Feel free to change the chorus a little.

Broke Your heart a thousand times
But You've never left my side
You have always been here for me
You never let me go
You never let me go
Don't ever let me go
Don't let me lose my way
Hold on to me
Don't let me lose my way
Hold on to me
Until it comes to an end
Soon this season will end

Mention your unfaithfulness and God’s faithfulness. Plead God to not let your unfaithfulness get the best of you. Put in some angst and repetition. Make it seem like this case of unfaithfulness and repentance is a seasonal thing.

I'll surrender tonight
You meet me right where I am

Put in an “I surrender all” even though you admitted you broke God’s heart a thousand times.

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Jeremy Camp
This Man

Would you take the place of this man?
Would you take the nails from his hands?
Would you take the place of this man?
Would you take the nails from his hands?

Huh? Somebody wants me to take the nails from Jesus’ hands and take His place? No? Then why have a song that sounds like that?

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
What got the current praise and worship music revolution going was basically in North America, Great Britain and Australia in the late ‘80s and the ‘90s.

Tommy Coomes Band
The Tommy Coomes Band has recorded 12 albums over the years. We started when I was at Maranatha! Music and produced seven CD's when we were called The Maranatha Praise Band (1989-1996). Two more CDs followed with Integrity Music, (1998-2002) and then two projects for The Billy Graham Evangelical Association. Most recently we released "God So Loved," on our own. (2007).
Jesus Mighty God (Praise Band) - 1989
We started with an idea, a collection of songs and one CD.
Tommy had found a few new songs that he loved and felt that it was time for a more upbeat, band oriented expression of worship.
His friend Rick Founds had written several great new songs like, "Lord I Lift Your Name On High," and "Jesus Mighty God." Lenny LeBlanc contributed "Come & See" and "Glorify You."
We tried a twelve (12) week experiment with Greg Laurie on Sundays and Mondays - it stuck a responsive chord in Southern California. That turned into doing large events with both Greg Laurie and Franklin Graham.
This was the very first recording of "Lord I Lift Your Name On High" and it was amazing to see that song travel quickly to every continent.

Hillsong Church's popularity in Christian praise and worship music stems from the inauguration of the Hillsong Conference in the late 1980s and the first publication of choruses written by Hills CLC members, especially Darlene Zschech. Their first live worship CD The Power of Your Love was released in 1992. Since then, live praise and worship albums have been produced each year.
People Just Like Us (1994) was the first ever Christian album to go Gold in Australia as well as the first to go Platinum. To date, all Hillsong live worship albums have achieved Gold status in Australia. In 1996, Hillsong Music reached international prominence with the release of Shout to the Lord produced by Integrity Music. This was Integrity Music's first live worship album featuring a female worship leader - Darlene Zschech.

Passion Conferences is a Christian organization (also referred to as the 268 Generation, originally named Choice Ministries), founded by Louie Giglio and Jeff Lewis in 1997, known for their annual spiritual awakening gatherings of young adults, more specifically college students. The organization is also responsible for sixstepsrecords, the Passion Worship CDs, and the OneDay gatherings. The first conference was Passion '97 in Austin, Texas, and the headquarters are now in Alpharetta, Georgia.

Petra Praise: The Rock Cries Out
October 3, 1989
First praise album for the band.

Petra Praise 2: We Need Jesus
February 18, 1997
Second praise album.

Revival
November 20, 2001
Third praise album.

We Want To See Jesus Lifted High
CCLI Number: 1033408
Author(s): Horley, Doug
Copyright: 1993 Thankyou Music

NoelRichards.com
Warrior
Released 1994
Warrior was my biggest selling album and featured many well known church songs. On this album I shared my vision to see Wembley Stadium filled with worship. The album features guest vocals from some of the musicians at the forefront of christian music today including Martin Smith, Matt Redman, Graham Kendrick and Dave Bilborough.

NoelRichards.com
BIO
HIGHLIGHTS
1996 - Organised and performed at "Champion of the World", Wembley Arena, London, UK. Audience 11,500
1997 - Organised and performed at "Champion of the World", Wembley Stadium, London, UK, with an attendance of almost 45,000, making it the biggest contemporary Christian music event ever staged in that venue.
GOLD DISC
As well as the albums listed on his discography, Noel has also appeared on numerous "live" event/compilation albums. The most successful of these is Sparrow records "I could sing of your love forever" on which Noel is featured singing a live version of "We want to see Jesus lifted high". This album has sold in excess of 500,000 units.

I Could Sing of Your Love Forever
Sparrow
25 Modern Worship Songs For a New Generation
August 29, 2000

Noel Richards live song 'We want to see Jesus Lifted High' Wembley Stadium 1997 - YouTube

'Champion of the World' is the now historic, praise, prayer and worship event that was held at Wembley Football Stadium London England in June 1997. It was the last ever Christian event to be held at the old Wembley with the unique 4 sided stage interchanging bands in the centre of the pitch.
'Champion of the World' features UK worship leader Noel Richards and others, including the now famous band Delirious. It set the benchmark for all day Christian stadium events in the future that incorporated prayer, intercession, and music, and inspired many events, gatherings and calls around the world. Noel also pioneered a similar event in the Olympic Stadium in Berlin Germany in July 2006. This song, We want to see Jesus Lifted High, was written by childrens minister and worship leader Doug Horley (lead guitarist in this music video).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
This week we’re testing some new music we’re considering adding to STAR 99.1. Please take a moment and tell us how you feel.

Right Beside You Building 429

Redeemed Big Daddy Weave
Familiar 1 Play it less

One Thing Remains Passion feat Kristian Stanfill

Calculate Everyday Sunday

Great I Am Phillips, Craig & Dean

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
All Things Are Possible - by Hillsong feat. Darlene Zschech - YouTube

all things is possible - YouTube

Hillsong - All things are possible - YouTube

All Things Are Possible is the sixth album in the live praise and worship series of Christian Contemporary music by Hillsong Church.
Released 16 September 1997

Experiencing Worship
Title: All Things Are Possible: Live Worship From Australia
This has become another of the favorite CD's of worship leaders and churches everywhere. The writing of Darlene and Russell continue to challenge the worshiping heart to know Him more. Filled with a host of great worship songs you cannot go wrong with this project. Great contemporary worship music that will speak to every age of worshiper. Great concert numbers as well as usable worship songs. The gang from down under continue to keep it coming. Well worth buying! Produced by Russell Fragar and Darlene Zschech.

Yahoo! Voices
Celeste St. John, Yahoo! Contributor Network
Mar 30, 2009
All Things Are Possible: One of the Best Hillsong Albums of the 90s
All Things Are Possible © 1997 from Hillsong in Australia is one of the classic albums of the 1990s that needs to be heralded as full of Christian-listening pleasure.

So, isn't it obvious that by the time that praise and worship music took over CCM radio basically the best praise and worship songs had already been released?

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Crosswalk
Christa Banister
November 24, 2009
CCM: A Bankrupt Genre?
Even though the band's been successful, particularly with its rendition of the Matt Redman worship song "Blessed Be Your Name," the past few years haven't been easy for Tree63. With a number of personnel changes, frontman John Ellis and Co. considered calling it quits. But, convinced of God's calling, they've pressed on, recently releasing Worship Volume One: I Stand For You, featuring some of their best worship fare. Ironically, the modern worship music is getting under Ellis's skin these days, and that was one of the things we discussed as he checked in from his native South Africa.

Ellis: Yes yes yes! I absolutely believe that the modern phenomenon of "modern worship" dampens creativity amongst music-making Christians. Congregational worship music is an exact science, and only a few people are very good at it - and I don't believe I'm one of them. Modern worship has become a unit-shifting genre of contemporary Christian music, and now everyone's in on it. As a result, that worship music becomes diluted. Funny enough, some of the best at it can hardly even sell their own product in the U.S. - Matt Redman and Delirious being two immediate examples. They're almost ignored, and yet they virtually invented the idea!

Ellis: Worship songs have to appeal immediately to a cross-section of people that make up your average Sunday-morning church service. They can't be too innovative or sophisticated or artsy or moody, and they have to get an important point across very simply. There's little space for art or innovation - unless, again, you're Matt Redman. Or Charles Wesley. The problems creep in when everybody and their mother jump in to cash in. I'm being horribly cynical, I know, but I see this happening all around me. The songs become insipid and lame, and hey, is Jesus really honored by that song after all? It's like Bono said at the Grammys one year: God sometimes responds, "No, please don't thank me for that song, I had nothing to do with it, and it wasn't written for me!"

Ellis: As a result of "modern worship," there is less room these days for artistic expressions of faith, music that wrestles with the realities of being a Jesus-follower, with the darkness we fight day in and day out in our personal lives. Christian radio also shoulders a big percentage of the blame: It conditions people to expect a very particular thing from Christian artists. "Safe for the whole family" can sometimes mean "shielded from reality." It's a shame that a record as amazing as Delirious's Mezzamorphis virtually killed them in the States. And have you noticed that there hasn't really been a phenomenon quite like [dc Talk's] Jesus Freak since, well, Jesus Freak?

Ellis: I've felt more and more over the years that CCM as a genre has become bankrupt, that there are some obvious reasons why all my friends who make "Christian music" don't actually listen to it.

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Crosswalk Radio is a one-stop place to choose Christian Internet radio to listen to. I stopped there on 7/21/12 a.m. and 7/21/12 p.m. and got a random sample of Crosswalk Radio listeners’ preferences. Crosswalk Radio is owned by Salem. Salem could put these formats on AM and FM radio if it wanted to.

1. Instrumental
A peaceful blend of Christian instrumental music using piano, classical guitar, and other instruments.
44 Listeners a.m., 41 Listeners p.m.
Average 42.5 Listeners

2. Praise
A Modern Praise and Worship Experience.
37 Listeners a.m., 24 Listeners p.m.
Average 30.5 Listeners

3. Southern Gospel
Your Favorite Southern Gospel music from today and yesterday.
18 Listeners a.m., 14 Listeners p.m.
Average 16 Listeners

4. Hymns
A Collection of New and Classic Hymn Performances.
15 Listeners a.m., 12 Listeners p.m.
Average 13.5 Listeners

5. Inspirational
Today's light contemporary Christian music and yesterday's favorites from the 80s and 90s.
13 Listeners a.m., 12 Listeners p.m.
Average 12.5 Listeners

6. Christian Mix
Best upbeat Christian music from the mid 90's to today.
6 Listeners a.m., 14 Listeners p.m.
Average 10 Listeners

7. Urban Gospel
Today's Urban Gospel at its Best - with R&B, gospel classics, and mass choirs.
10 Listeners a.m., 5 Listeners p.m.
Average 7.5 Listeners

8. Christian Top 40
The latest and most popular modern Christian music.
8 Listeners a.m., 6 Listeners p.m.
Average 7 Listeners

9. Christian Classics
Best upbeat Christian music from the mid 70's to the early 90's.
2 Listeners a.m., 2 Listeners p.m.
Average 2 Listeners

10. Christian Rock
A collection of today's modern Christian rock.
1 Listeners a.m., 1 Listeners p.m.
Average 1 Listener

Faith Talk
Listen to your favorite Christian teachers
0 Listeners a.m., 0 Listeners p.m.
Average 0 Listeners

Christian Pirate Radio
Streaming the best Christian hits of today and yesterday 24/7
0 Listeners a.m., 0 Listeners p.m.
Average 0 Listeners

What can we learn from this little experiment?

Christian Pirate Radio was consistently 0 listeners and a big loser. Apparently there were enough other stations to choose from that Christian Pirate Radio wasn’t really needed in the lineup.

Faith Talk was consistently 0 listeners and a big loser. Maybe someone listens to a favorite program but doesn’t listen to certain other programs. Maybe listening to teaching has somewhat gone out of style. Yet, Salem is big in the Christian teaching radio business, isn’t it?

Christian Rock was consistently 1 listener and a big loser. Today’s modern Christian rock is known by Salem to be a big loser.

Christian Classics was consistently 2 listeners and a big loser. Upbeat Christian music from the mid 70's to the early 90's is listened to by only dinosaurs and fossils.

Christian Top 40 averaged 7 listeners and was somewhat of a loser if you were expecting it to do better because Christian Top 40 is on AM and FM stations everywhere.

Urban Gospel averaged 7.5 listeners and I wouldn’t call it a loser. It has a home on Sirius XM radio.

Christian Mix averaged 10 listeners. It has some new music but it also goes back to the mid 90’s and beats Christian Top 40.

Inspirational averaged 12.5 listeners. It has some new music but it also goes back to 80’s and beats Christian Top 40.

Hymns averaged 13.5 listeners and did rather well against CCM.

Southern Gospel averaged 16 listeners and did rather well against CCM.

Praise averaged 30.5 listeners and was a big winner. If hardcore praise and worship music addicts have a choice between hardcore praise and worship music and Christian Top 40, they’ll pick hardcore praise and worship music. Yet, there are rather few hardcore praise and worship music AM and FM stations.

Instrumental averaged 42.5 listeners and was the big winner. Yet, instrumental Christian music AM and FM radio stations are not considered to be moneymakers, are they?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
"I want to praise you, Lord" with Bible verses on Salvation - YouTube

Praise 4 - In His Time
Maranatha! Singers
Original Release Date: November 30, 1979
Label: Maranatha! Music

The Maranatha! Singers is a long running Christian musical group that has released numerous albums for the Maranatha! Music label. It is best to view the Maranatha! Singers as a brand name for the Maranatha! Music label as various vocalists, musicians and instrumentalists that have performed under that name as a group for the Maranatha! Music label, under the direction of either hired or staff producers & arrangers chosen for each individual recording project.

Back in ’82 it was common for me to hear Maranatha! on my CCM station. And I didn’t mind it. Maranatha! was an integral part of CCM. Maranatha! seemed to have some taste and class.

Upvote 0

lightninboy

Jan 11, 2005
✟11,910.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Every weekend I get a chance to countdown the top 10 songs on Air1 on a show we call … wait for it … The Air1 Top 10 Weekend (catchy title, huh). Who determines those songs? Not me. No, it’s you.
In taking this survey you not only determine the countdown, but also tell us what songs you want to hear on Air1 and how often we should play them. By the way, if you ever miss the countdown, you can check it out on the “Music” page at Air1.com.
Now, get to voting on this week’s survey!
Thank you for being a valued member of the Air1 team!
-Ashton

The Proof Of Your Love For King & Country
Familiar 1 I'm hearing it too often

Forgiveness Matthew West

Afterlife Switchfoot
Familiar 4 I'm not hearing it enough

Where I Belong Building 429
Familiar 3 I'm not hearing it enough

Losing Tenth Avenue North

Shadows Samestate
Unfamiliar 1 I'm hearing it too often

Never Let You Go Manafest

Outta My Mind Anthem Lights

Be Somebody Thousand Foot Krutch
Unfamiliar 3 I'm not hearing it enough

Shooting Star Owl City

Center Of It Chris August
Unfamiliar 2 I'm not hearing it enough

Who You Are Unspoken

Beautiful You Trent Monk

Love Is All

Dangerous KJ-52

He Said Group 1 Crew

All I Really Want Adam Cappa

Me Without You TobyMac

Keep Your Eyes Open Needtobreathe

Here are some other songs you're hearing on Air 1, and we'd like to know what you think of them as well.

Innocent Stellar Kart
Unfamiliar 2 I'm not hearing it enough

God of Wonders Chris Tomlin
Familiar 3 I'm hearing it just about the right amount

In My Arms Plumb

To Bring You Back Paul Alan

I'm Not Who I Was Brandon Heath
Familiar 3 I'm hearing it just about the right amount

Million Pieces (Kissin' Your Cares Goodbye) Newsboys