seamonster

happy goth
Oct 2, 2005
✟18,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For those who didn't see my thread earlier in WD, I am going to be moving at about 30-32 weeks pregnant - probably to CA - and have to deal with switching doctors mid-pregnancy. I started looking into a doula and found out that she would charge $1200. This would include 2 prenatal visits, phone contact, and being at the birth. She also has 10 years experience.

She would be driving with us the 45 minutes to the hospital. The city I am moving to does not allow VBACs so we will have to drive to the next city.

So, does $1200 seem too much for all this?

Reactions: GolfingMom

seamonster

happy goth
Oct 2, 2005
✟18,037.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My initial thought was WOW that's a lot. I think the most I found here in Portland was around $600. That included 2 visits before, the birth, 2 visits after and phone help when needed.

$600 seems a lot more reasonable to me. Unless DH was deployed, I really can't imagine paying more than that.

Upvote 0

lovesbrightpink

Loves jesus and America too.
Aug 19, 2006
Oklahoma
✟11,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ok lol. if you are living in the bay area, its not alot. EVERYTHING is expensive there. If your in northern ca, where I am, I would say its high. If your in socal I would say its not alot....

depending on where you live, it may be reasonable. I would not pay it...but Im in a reasonable area. THe amount I would get paid in socal or the bay area would be twice as much so its not as bad a cost to cover!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
You could also talk to her again, and tell her that you are unable to pay that amount and offer what you would be comfortable paying.

IN my opinon- it would be a great thing to contact as many doulas as you can via internet before you move and see who you click with..and then interview once you have moved if there's still any doubt as to who would be the best fit.

Have you contacted the LLL where you'll be moving? They might be able to direct you to a list of doulas serving the area...

Is there a reason why it's this one doula or no doula??

You con contact ALACE, DONA, or CAPPA and get names of women with their provisional certifications.

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've worked as a doula in the past... and that seems high to me, but I don't know about Southern California's prices. Where I am, it was hard to get $100 out of people... lol

I would definately ask around at midwives offices, homeschool groups, LLL groups, maybe chiropractor's offices (all non-mainstream type of groups)..... wherever you're going to be living, and see if anyone has any suggestions. It's entirely possible you'll find doulas who just aren't members of an organization or are in training.

Good luck! :)

Upvote 0