✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Who is the 'we' in 2 Timothy 2:12?
If we endure, we shall also reign with Him. If we deny Him, He also will deny us.
Those who read narrowly will say only Paul and Timothy. Those who read objectively will say that Scripture is God breathed and is profitable (for everyone) for doctrine, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness (2 Tim 3:16).

So 2 Tim 2:12 is for all believers.

Will liars ever perish? You didn't answer where all liars go. Why not?
Why didn't you read my post. I did answer.

Is your heaven full of thieves, murderers, liars, adulterers, deniers, blasphemers, godless, backbiters, and all other manner of evil, if they only believe?
Those who have believed, HAVE eternal life, and Jesus says they WILL NEVER PERISH.

I believe what Jesus says.

What kind of heaven have you given the most holy God?
I haven't given God any kind of heaven.

The real question is why you don't seem to believe some of what Jesus said?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You say one who denies Jesus after believing is saved. If this view is correct, then John is lying.
No, it just shows that you've misunderstood what he is saying.

And I already explained what John was talking about in the verse below.

1 John 2
22 Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son.
23 Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

You say one can deny Jesus after believing.
No, I say that one should NEVER deny Jesus after believing.

In fact, that is what the Bible clearly teaches:
Acts 11:23
When he arrived and saw the evidence of the grace of God, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts.

Acts 14:22
strengthening the disciples and encouraging them to remain true to the faith. "We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God," they said.

John says those who deny the Son do not have the father either.
Since you want to play the "lying" game, if John meant those who have believed, then Jesus was lying in John 3:16 and 10:28.

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
False teachings and false ideas of Calvinism? Can you explain what you mean by that? You seem rather inconsistent then in your Arminian beliefs. So if you believe your autonomous "free" will chose to believe in Christ, in a depraved and wicked state of a sinful nature all unregenerate resides in; what actually sustains your belief in Christ to persevere to the end? Your autonomous will, or Gods grace in Christ? And if by grace, then you have to know it was by Gods Sovereign grace that initiates and gives true saving faith, via regeneration by the hearing of the Word of God (gospel). The elect are sustained by the redeeming grace of Christ from start to finish. And is why a true believer will endure to the end. To reject this truth shows your rejection of the truth that Gods grace alone saves. Christ Jesus is our substitute and righteousness for the elect. The elect are secure in Christ Jesus and His finished work, through faith alone!! That's the point of this whole debate. The reason why the elect can't lose his or her salvation, is simply because salvation is by Gods decision of grace and mercy on the elect in redeeming them in Christ. It's a promise that God gave, to them that believeth.. The redeeming grace of Christ is what saves from beginning to final glorification. And that decision was made before the foundation of the world.. Ephesians 1:4. It is God who sustains the elect by grace through faith, and is why, we shall NEVER perish. Salvation, through faith, brings a conversion that God empowers believers to bear fruit as evidence of being saved in Christ. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10. The modern day self righteous judaizers on here who profess Christ and promote works based salvation, do not believe that salvation is solely by Gods grace and conditioned in Christ and His merits alone!! That's a fact! Shows their faith resides in themselves and NOT in Christ and His redeeming Work. If one is teaching you gain and maintain salvation through righteous deeds and works, then he has denied Gods grace and gospel of Christ Jesus and His righteousness ALONE that justifies; and seeks to establish his own righteousness. So those warnings to believers about enduring and examining yourselves whether you be in the faith or not, is because of the many false teachers and false professors in the church today. But know this, as the elect, that " it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure." Philippians 2:13. The denial of the gospel is evident by the fruit they bear in their doctrine of works based salvation. And is accursed of God. I'll say this to those who promote works righteousness, "murmur not among yourselves. No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day".. John 6:43-44. Only the elect, through faith, are drawn, hear, and are taught of the Father.. And it is Christ Jesus who will raise them on the last day. That's security in Christ Jesus

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And Rom 11:29 says that God's gifts are irrevocable. And Paul never excluded the gift of eternal life from the gifts that are irrevocable.

We have been over this before: Paul does give us the exception Gal. 6:7-9 and we agree all exceptions may not be addressed in one passage and found in other passages.

Second, quenching the Spirit, sin and even giving up has NO EFFECT on our salvation. If it did, salvation would be up to us. But it isn't up to us. It's up to God. And His plan is to save forever those who believe. Heb 7:25

We agree that salvation is a gift from God and we have nothing to do with that gift just as Esau himself had nothing to do with obtaining his birthright, but that does not mean we like Esau cannot give our salvation away.

Because the Bible never says that you can. In fact, the Bible says that we are held IN God's hands. Not the other way around. And that those Jesus gives eternal life, WILL NEVER PERISH. Quite straight forward.
Again Gal. 6:7-9 says we can give our harvest away and the Hebrew writer Heb. 12: 16 See that no one is sexually immoral, or is godless like Esau, who for a single meal sold his inheritance rights as the oldest son. The Hebrew writer is saying we can do the same as Esau did with his inheritance and the only inheritance talked about Christians having includes eternal life.
The context is v.12a. And what it means is that Christ WILL deny the believer the privilege of reigning with Him.

To reign with Christ is NOT any kind of gift. It MUST be earned by enduring, just as v.12a SAYS.

And those who deny Him have NOT endured, and will therefore NOT reign with Him.

Very straightforward.

No that is not a good exegesis, we are told not to deny (or disown) Jesus or he will deny (or disown) us. You are suggesting “denying” (disowning) Jesus would result in a slap on the hand (losing some exalted position in heaven) while Jesus has said specifically: Matt. 10: 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

How is denying Christ not the same as disowning Christ since the Greek word is used either way?

Simple claim. Please provide a thorough explanation of your point. I'm not buying simple claims.

Your opinion about the verse is refuted by the PLAIN WORDS OF THE VERSE.

You need to go back to the Greek, do you have any Greek scholars giving your interpretation?

In order to reign with Christ, one MUST endure. In v.12b, the one who denies Christ shows that he hasn't endured. So the connection is clear:
endure and reign with Christ
deny Him (by not enduring) and He will deny reigning with Him.

Same Greek word as in 2 Tim 2:12. And I've provided a very logical and reasonable explanation for WHY the denial is about reigning with Christ and NOT about losing salvation.

Salvation isn't even in the discussion here.

1 John 2 22 Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son.

23 Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also.

So can an antichrist be “saved”, because that is what you are saying?

This is completely different. Recall that Adam's sin in Gen 2:17 became "the one man's offense" by which "death reigned". (Rom 5:12-14)

iow, men were ruled by death through the power of sin in their lives that resulted in a death-oriented experience (6:23).

By contrast, those who receive abundance (v.15) of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reighn IN LIFE through the One, Jesus Christ.

Death has automatic dominion over those born of Adam. Yet those who will reign in life are those who receive the gift of righteousness.

This verse has no relevance to reigning with Christ in the Millennium or in eternity beyond the Millennium. Context makes that clear, as I've pointed out.

We know how we are to reign (Jesus washed the feet of his disciples including Judas), so what glorious heavenly “things” are you “working” for while here on earth?

God being the epitome of Love would mean He is a perfect giver and we as His created beings could not really “do” anything for Him to earn anything from Him. We could respond out of pure gratitude, but that would not be in any way to earn something extra?

In the spiritual realm the only “work” we can do is in having “faith”, but faith is not something you can work to obtain and really is the opposite of working for it, because you are trusting in Him and He is a giver. Do you think Paul even in part did all he did in order to gain something in heaven and if so where does he suggest such a thing?

Everything “good” I have done was done through me and in spite of me, but I did allow it to happen.

How is this ruling with Christ?

I will not conflate the two. There is no basis for it.

The big problem with your view here is that there is absolutely NO evidence for anything related to "gifts to Jews only". Paul specifically described 3 things that are gifts of God before he got to Rom 11:29, and there is NO EVIDENCE in the context of ch 9-11 that Paul was excluding any of those 3 specific gifts from 11:29.

It is irrational to try to exclude any of the 3 gifts from 11:29.

You've not shown that Paul was describing ANY "irrevocable gift" to Jews only.

No, to all Jews. Not just saved ones.

Please identify WHERE Paul indicated and specified any such "irrevocable gifts" to Jews only.

Nope. Just the saved ones.

Because Paul specifically described those 3. And there is no reason at all to claim that any of them should be excluded from Rom 11:29.

When Paul spoke of "rejecting the gift" he clearly meant that they refused to believe in the first place. He NEVER meant that anyone who HAD the gift rejected it.

Second, where in the Bible did Paul teach or claim that some have given away the gift of eternal life???

Gal. 6: 7-9

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What did Paul say about his own eternal security?
He very plainly taught that eternal life is a gift of God in Rom 6:23, and that God's gifts are irrevocable in Rom 11:29.

He told them that he might attain unto the resurrection of the dead//just kind, not that he had already been made perfect.
The actual quote is that he said "somehow", meaning he didn't how he would be resurrected, not that he wasn't sure that he'd be resurrected: Phil 3:11
and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

Philippians 3:11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
Philippians 3:12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring [it] into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

1 Corinthians 15:2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
The Greek word for "keep in memory" actually means "possess". What is possessed is eternal life for those who have believed. Paul wasn't teaching that they had to remember something in order to be saved, otherwise those who enter dementia or Alzheimer's disease cannot be saved because of their loss of memory.

Colossians 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;
You forgot to include v.22, which is key to understanding the "if you continue".

"But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—"

iow, in order to be 'presented before God as holy and w/o blemish, one MUST continue in the faith.

Hebrews 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
To be made "partakers of Christ" echoes the thought in v.1 of being "partakers of the heavenly calling". The word means a "partner". When they believed in Christ, they embarked on a partnership with Christ involving their pilgrimage to His Kingdom and heavenly Jerusalem. To share in His dominion and inheritance they need to endure in a life of fiath, doing the will of God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Paul told how he did not want to preach and
then be a castaway. See 1Corinthians 9:27.
Luke 9:25 refers to how someone could lose
himself, or be cast away.

Romans 11:1 refers to how Israel would not be cast away.
This fails to address any of my points. All you've done was to cobble together unrelated verses. 1 Cor 9:27 has nothing to do with Rom 11:29, and you've not shown how it is.

Rom 11:1 speaks of the fact that God's choosing of Israel was permanent, but has nothing to do with 11:29 and the call and gifts of God.

Nowhere in Scripture is God's election of Israel described as a gift. Yet, Paul specifically described 3 of God's gifts in Rom before he got around to 11:29, so those specific gifts MUST BE included in the message of 11:29, since Paul DIDN'T specifically exclude any of those gifts that he described.

That's how context works. Paul described 3 gifts of God and then wrote that God's gifts are irrevocable, without excluding any of those gifts.

If he didn't mean to include any of the 3 gifts already described, he would have said so plainly. So which verse plainly excludes any of the 3 gifts from what Paul wrote in 11:29?

Upvote 0