✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Smoke Screen said:
That's what I'd like to know. Maybe we should ask the Rove Administration about that!

:confused:

I was asking you. Is it possible to get an answer?

Why is Smoke Screen's opinion a valid opinion, but Jetgirl's opinion is "spin"?

Upvote 0
S

ShawnaAnn

Jetgirl said:
:confused:

I was asking you. Is it possible to get an answer?

Why is Smoke Screen's opinion a valid opinion, but Jetgirl's opinion is "spin"?
Well, I'm not entirely sure what construction workers have to do with Bush's war on terror.

I can see the analogy, but it's not really about the troops, but the pain we're causing them.

Not because it's a dangerous job, but the jobs that we give them are the problem.

Upvote 0

Jetgirl

The cake is a lie.
May 11, 2004
San Diego
Visit site
✟22,039.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
ShawnaAnn said:
Well, I'm not entirely sure what construction workers have to do with Bush's war on terror.

I will 'splain then (as my coworker always says).

I can see the analogy, but it's not really about the troops, but the pain we're causing them. Not because it's a dangerous job, but the jobs that we give them are the problem.

This is a long story, bear with me, my point is at the bottom:

My uncle was horrifically burned in a fire on a construction site. His crew was installing a large sewage system in Chicago, big enough to be more like a mine than a the usual sewage pipes you think about. They were using heavy machinery to dig out the tunnel.

They either hit a pocket of natural gas, or clipped a gas line that had been placed without permits and wasn't on their charts. A piece of the machinery sparked as they were trying frantically to get them all shut down. Thirty four workers died pretty much instantly. My uncle and three other men escaped, but one died in the hospital later that day. My uncle was in the hospital for almost six months, and had multiple skin grafts for the next five years.

My point is:

Because suffering is awful, we might be tempted to blame the corporation who wanted that sewer system installed for the death of the workers, because technically if they hadn't ordered that job, those people might still be alive.

Just like, in a knee-jerk reaction to our sympathy for wounded soliders, it's tempting to blame the government, because technically they wouldn't have been wounded if the government didn't order that job.

My opinion is that, while I am sad, and am unhappy with the treatment after-the-fact that some soliders receive (I am definitely unhappy with the state of their benefits these days) soliders, like construction workers, know that their jobs involve a large amount of risk. They are willingly putting themselves into a job where they may be asked to do extrememly dangerous things. Training itself, without even being in a war is extrememly dangerous. Actually, all the soliders I personally know who have been killed, have been killed in training in the states, not in Iraq.

I feel that it's shortsighted, and in some cases almost insulting, to get upset that people working dangerous jobs are injured doing the jobs they chose to do.

(Sorry, kept getting interrupted by actual work while typing, got a little long-winded).

Reactions: rosenherman
Upvote 0

Gunny

Remnant
Site Supporter
May 18, 2002
United States of America
✟58,262.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jetgirl said:
I will 'splain then (as my coworker always says).

This is a long story, bear with me, my point is at the bottom:

My uncle was horrifically burned in a fire on a construction site. His crew was installing a large sewage system in Chicago, big enough to be more like a mine than a the usual sewage pipes you think about. They were using heavy machinery to dig out the tunnel.

They either hit a pocket of natural gas, or clipped a gas line that had been placed without permits and wasn't on their charts. A piece of the machinery sparked as they were trying frantically to get them all shut down. Thirty four workers died pretty much instantly. My uncle and three other men escaped, but one died in the hospital later that day. My uncle was in the hospital for almost six months, and had multiple skin grafts for the next five years.

My point is:

Because suffering is awful, we might be tempted to blame the corporation who wanted that sewer system installed for the death of the workers, because technically if they hadn't ordered that job, those people might still be alive.

Just like, in a knee-jerk reaction to our sympathy for wounded soliders, it's tempting to blame the government, because technically they wouldn't have been wounded if the government didn't order that job.

My opinion is that, while I am sad, and am unhappy with the treatment after-the-fact that some soliders receive (I am definitely unhappy with the state of their benefits these days) soliders, like construction workers, know that their jobs involve a large amount of risk. They are willingly putting themselves into a job where they may be asked to do extrememly dangerous things. Training itself, without even being in a war is extrememly dangerous. Actually, all the soliders I personally know who have been killed, have been killed in training in the states, not in Iraq.

I feel that it's shortsighted, and in some cases almost insulting, to get upset that people working dangerous jobs are injured doing the jobs they chose to do.

(Sorry, kept getting interrupted by actual work while typing, got a little long-winded).

Outstanding Post.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0