PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am so sick and tired of addressing these same arguments over and over again in these debates, so I am just going to list them out in no particular order so I can just link this thread whenever they come up again.

1. Anything that compares living organisms with objects humans create: This argument type is invalid due to the differences between how living things function and how machines function, as well as the materials from which they are derived. These differences make it unacceptable to assume that the origin of one must match the origin of the other, as the chemistry behind them is not identical. Any hypothetical scenario that asserts that in the context of the scenario, there are no differences, doesn't reflect reality. In reality, these things are different from each other, and your hypothetical scenario does not change that.

2. Unintentionally off topic issues: The theory of evolution covers the mechanism by which populations of organisms change over time and generations. No more and no less. The Big Bang and the origin of the universe are not relevant topics to these debates. The origin of life itself and abiogenesis are not relevant topics to these debates, as evolution only starts after life exists and has nothing to due with the origin of it. Morality has nothing to do with evolution, and any influence you might think it has on morality is not something the theory aims to have. It is a flaw in people, not science.

3. The "look around you" argument: Good for you that you think that the beauty of the sunset is evidence for the existence of a deity. Don't expect your subjective opinion to be particularly convincing to anyone else. There are plenty of things that can appear to be one thing, and yet are another thing, so just your personal perspective on the world with no objective evidence behind it is not reliable.

4. All special pleading: Statements such as "god exists beyond the universe, not within it" are weak attempts to avoid the burden of proof. You might cherish your beliefs, but they are not excluded from having to meet basic standards of evidence. If you have to resort to special pleading, you are essentially admitting that you have no evidence to actually bring to the debate, and you want people to think your position is valid anyways. Too bad for you, this subforum isn't an echo chamber, so you aren't going to get away with that.

5. Stereotypes pertaining to atheists: Saying that "atheists must hate god" or "atheists just want to sin" and other such statements just tells me that you haven't interacted with many atheists. That's legitimately the only way a person could think the majority of atheist stereotypes are accurate. The only thing all atheists share in common is a LACK of belief in deities and nothing else. As a result, atheists on the whole have less similarity between each other than pretty much any other way you could group people; I wouldn't be shocked if atheists are about as "similar" to each other as all the people that feel neutral about the color red.

6. God of the gaps: Gaps in our current knowledge about the universe, etc., don't automatically get to be filled up by deities by virtue of being currently unknown. Plenty of things we didn't know previously and were often filled by "the god of the gaps" turned out to have no observable relationship with any deities whatsoever. Unless there is actual evidence for a deity's involvement in a process, there is no legitimate reason to assert a deity must be involved.

7. Quote mines: If you see one or two sentences in which "an evolutionist admits that evolution is impossible" or some other such thing, do yourself a favor and at least try to find the original source for the quote. I swear, quoting people out of context is bad enough, but it seems like half of all quote mines aren't even sentences the people attributed to them said or wrote.

8. I'll name some evil "atheists": -_- are you really going to go there? Not all theists are saints, you know. No one becomes an evil dictator because they are an atheist, because atheism doesn't have any tenants or guidelines upon which to shape a person's morality or actions. There's no rallying point for atheism. Also, if applicable to the person I am directing this to, stop bringing up Hitler. The guy claimed to be Catholic, and since he is dead, we only have that to go on, so it is not your place to assert that this particular person you view as vile couldn't possibly share anything in common with you. I don't know why people bring up Hitler so much when Stalin (who was arguably equally evil) was openly an atheist. In any case, unless you want your religion held accountable for every single bad person that happened to share it with you, shut up about any evil atheists.

9. My argument is logic, and logic is better than science: This is the hierarchy of learning about the world, from best to worst, as a short list:
1. Math- math can prove a conclusion is correct indisputably. 4+4=8, and the answer will always be 8.
2. Science- science can utilize evidence to discern the most likely conclusion to represent reality, approaching the 100% certainty of proof but never quite reaching it. In other words, scientific conclusions can have a level of certainty well above 99%, but never 100%.
3. Logic- logic uses basic rules of argumentation to defend a position or attack one. However, none of the conclusions made through logic alone are really conclusive. It is reserved for questions which are too subjective for science to handle, such as "is it moral to kill my neighbor if they try to steal my family pet?" However, the answer obtained through logic will never be considered objectively correct, or even necessarily to be the most likely to be correct. Correct doesn't really apply to subjective situations.
In summary, any position without evidence to support it will always be crushed by positions that do have evidence, and anyone trying to argue for their position purely by logic when they could be using evidence is doing a disservice to themselves.

10. Microevolution happens, but macroevolution doesn't: For one thing, these are generally not recognized as official terms in the scientific community, because their exact meaning is uncertain (they are a translation of made up terms by some guy a long time ago, and he didn't make their meaning especially clear). Most people view microevolution as "small change" and macroevolution as "big change". However, since the mechanism of change is the same for both, it wouldn't make sense for one to occur and not the other. To make things especially murky, small changes in DNA can result in drastic changes in one's body, and large amounts of change in DNA can result in very minor or practically no difference; it all just depends on the type of mutation and what genes it affects. Since there is no mechanism which prevents changes from building up over time, as well as the other things I have mentioned, arguing that microevolution happens and macroevolution doesn't is invalid.

11. Evolution isn't valid because the fossil record is incomplete: Fossils aren't the strongest evidence for evolution, to the point that literally none could have been discovered and the theory would still stand strong. Heck, the theory wasn't even originally based off of fossils, but rather in observations of living populations of organisms (Darwin had little to say in regards to fossils). Fossils aren't "evolution's weak link", they are the fancy cane evolution likes to twirl around to show off.

I'll probably add more as I think of more and have the time.

Last edited:

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am so sick and tired of addressing these same arguments over and over again in these debates, so I am just going to list them out in no particular order so I can just link this thread whenever they come up again.

1. Anything that compares living organisms with objects humans create: This argument type is invalid due to the differences between how living things function and how machines function, as well as the materials from which they are derived. These differences make it unacceptable to assume that the origin of one must match the origin of the other, as the chemistry behind them is not identical. Any hypothetical scenario that asserts that in the context of the scenario, there are no differences, doesn't reflect reality. In reality, these things are different from each other, and your hypothetical scenario does not change that.

2. Unintentionally off topic issues: The theory of evolution covers the mechanism by which populations of organisms change over time and generations. No more and no less. The Big Bang and the origin of the universe are not relevant topics to these debates. The origin of life itself and abiogenesis are not relevant topics to these debates, as evolution only starts after life exists and has nothing to due with the origin of it. Morality has nothing to do with evolution, and any influence you might think it has on morality is not something the theory aims to have. It is a flaw in people, not science.

3. The "look around you" argument: Good for you that you think that the beauty of the sunset is evidence for the existence of a deity. Don't expect your subjective opinion to be particularly convincing to anyone else. There are plenty of things that can appear to be one thing, and yet are another thing, so just your personal perspective on the world with no objective evidence behind it is not reliable.

4. All special pleading: Statements such as "god exists beyond the universe, not within it" are weak attempts to avoid the burden of proof. You might cherish your beliefs, but they are not excluded from having to meet basic standards of evidence. If you have to resort to special pleading, you are essentially admitting that you have no evidence to actually bring to the debate, and you want people to think your position is valid anyways. Too bad for you, this subforum isn't an echo chamber, so you aren't going to get away with that.

5. Stereotypes pertaining to atheists: Saying that "atheists must hate god" or "atheists just want to sin" and other such statements just tells me that you haven't interacted with many atheists. That's legitimately the only way a person could think the majority of atheist stereotypes are accurate. The only thing all atheists share in common is a LACK of belief in deities and nothing else. As a result, atheists on the whole have less similarity between each other than pretty much any other way you could group people; I wouldn't be shocked if atheists are about as "similar" to each other as all the people that feel neutral about the color red.

6. God of the gaps: Gaps in our current knowledge about the universe, etc., don't automatically get to be filled up by deities by virtue of being currently unknown. Plenty of things we didn't know previously and were often filled by "the god of the gaps" turned out to have no observable relationship with any deities whatsoever. Unless there is actual evidence for a deity's involvement in a process, there is no legitimate reason to assert a deity must be involved.

7. Quote mines: If you see one or two sentences in which "an evolutionist admits that evolution is impossible" or some other such thing, do yourself a favor and at least try to find the original source for the quote. I swear, quoting people out of context is bad enough, but it seems like half of all quote mines aren't even sentences the people attributed to them said or wrote.

8. I'll name some evil "atheists": -_- are you really going to go there? Not all theists are saints, you know. No one becomes an evil dictator because they are an atheist, because atheism doesn't have any tenants or guidelines upon which to shape a person's morality or actions. There's no rallying point for atheism. Also, if applicable to the person I am directing this to, stop bringing up Hitler. The guy claimed to be Catholic, and since he is dead, we only have that to go on, so it is not your place to assert that this particular person you view as vile couldn't possibly share anything in common with you. I don't know why people bring up Hitler so much when Stalin (who was arguably equally evil) was openly an atheist. In any case, unless you want your religion held accountable for every single bad person that happened to share it with you, shut up about any evil atheists.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure we will see no more fallacious arguments on CF from this point on.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure we will see no more fallacious arguments on CF from this point on.
That's not what this post was for; I'm going to link it to everyone that makes these arguments so I don't have to waste my time making a new response to an argument so irrelevant and generic that I have addressed it dozens of times in multiple different threads to a multitude of people. People will always make these arguments, and now I have the ways to address them pre-prepared.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1. Does this include genetically modified organisms?

2. Creationists have to address many other topics besides ToE to effectively argue their points.

5. Most of the atheists on these forums act much more uniformly than most Christians here. If I didn't see your usernames, I wouldn't be able to tell your average post from a post made by any one of a dozen or so atheist posters. Meanwhile I could easily identify a post by AV or dad, for example.

8. I completely agree. You can't point to evil acts by individuals and claim they are due to a religious belief or lack thereof, or else everyone sharing that belief would be just as evil.

• Agree
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Do you also use a giant toothbrush as a cane?
No that was my uncle lou, I guess I could get one, but it's good to make original invalid arguments. Otherwise it's gets so boring.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
No that was my uncle lou, I guess I could get one, but it's good to make original invalid arguments. Otherwise it's gets so boring.
Oh yeah, constantly repeating the old ones is boring. I will say that the new, unique invalid arguments are more entertaining, though they cause me to have aneurysms just as much.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Oh yeah, constantly repeating the old ones is boring. I will say that the new, unique invalid arguments are more entertaining, though they cause me to have aneurysms just as much.
I'm surprised that the invalid argument of posting a song in response was not listed. Guess that doesn't happen much around here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
1. Does this include genetically modified organisms?
Such organisms are practically never brought up by creationists that make the comparison of, say, watches to living cells. However, genetically modified organisms defy the "tree of life" by having genes their lineage should not have, and are thus genetically distinguishable from organisms which evolve naturally. If there was such tampering throughout evolutionary history, the "tree of life" model would have never been made, because genetic lineages would noticeably have too much disagreement to construct one.

2. Creationists have to address many other topics besides ToE to effectively argue their points.
Number 2 will only be used if they bring up the Big Bang, etc., as if evolution covers it, or if people complain about evolution not covering more than it does. That is, it only applies if the topic of discussion is indisputably evolution, and not physics, etc.

5. Most of the atheists on these forums act much more uniformly than most Christians here. If I didn't see your usernames, I wouldn't be able to tell your average post from a post made by any one of a dozen or so atheist posters. Meanwhile I could easily identify a post by AV or dad, for example.
Oh yes, AV and dad are famous... but that's because of how much they stand out as people when it comes to these topics. There are plenty of creationist posters that don't stand out as nearly so unique. Furthermore, there is a lot more variety to creationism than there is to evolution. A range from believing every word of the bible to just taking Genesis literally enough that evolution conflicts with personal beliefs. And that's just with Christianity. In contrast, scientific theories make an effort to be as objective as possible and leave very little room for variety in interpretation. Thus, when people defend a scientific theory, their comments will likely have more uniformity. There are thousands of denominations of Christianity, and only 1 theory of evolution considered to be relevant in modern times.

If you look at the subforums for politics or ethics, however, you'll see a lot more variety between atheists.

Upvote 0

Everybodyknows

The good guys lost
Dec 19, 2016
Australia
✟45,191.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well evolution is just a theory.

• Haha
Reactions: YouAreAwesome
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There was this one time I found the pattern of evolution in the bible, since it was through a prophetic allegory of beasts leaving the ocean, walking on dry land, and standing up like a person. I figured since Masons use the KJV as a code book, this might be why the old version of evolution is still taught in schools. As a fun invalid argument, perhaps it's a sign of the times? ;)

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
4. All special pleading: Statements such as "god exists beyond the universe, not within it" are weak attempts to avoid the burden of proof.

How is the definition of God as has been understood in multiple religions for at least 2000 years special pleading? What burden of proof were the Neoplatonists intending to avoid?

I agree with everything else, but you do not get to accuse people of special pleading for actually understanding theology.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'd say this prepared set of responses you have will be very handy, or mostly anyway. I think all your points are cogent, except for some philosphical quibbles that may arise over certain nuances of points 4 and 5.

4) ...because it is just a part of Jewish theology that God exists "outside," and I didn't make that up and can't change that. It is what it is.

and 5) ... because by what you've inferred, then atheists have denominational divisions of sorts all their own; and I expect to see the accompanying debates accrue between atheists of all kinds since these should come along with their diversity of thought. Kind of like what I see between, say, an atheist like Alex Rosengberg and another like Daniel Dennett; or between you and DogmaHunter, etc., etc., etc.

As to the rest of what you wrote. Carry on! Maybe I'll reference it from time to time as well since I take a more a BioLogos approach to my Christian faith. So, Good Work, Sarah! B+ :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1. Does that include bringing up a mousetrap whenever someone mentions the irreducible complexity of the flagellum?

2. Are you sweeping cosmic evolution under the carpet?

3. Forget "beauty of the sunset." How about Christian edifices, holidays, literature, and martyrs?

4. God is invisible; and those who demand evidence of His existence within the realm of science does not fully understand science's limitations.

5. There are two kinds of sins: sins of commission and sins of omission. I don't need to interact with atheists to know what sins they are denying, since they deny them on principle.

6. Does that go for evolution's connect-the-dots as well? Whose gaps are bigger? God's or evolution's?

7. Does that apply to the Crusades, the Inquisition, and the Salem Witch Trials, as well as other things done in spite of the Bible, not with respect to It? In addition, does your disgust of quote mining also apply to those who quote mine THOU SHALT NOT KILL to rail against the Old Testament commands to destroy the enemy?

8. Does that include "Christians" who did bad things as well; such as the aforementioned Crusades, Inquisition, and Witch Trials?

• Winner
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
How is the definition of God as has been understood in multiple religions for at least 2000 years special pleading?
1. The idea that a deity would be "beyond the universe" isn't in any religious texts, and that goes for the bible.
2. It has always been special pleading. Defining something in a way that makes it not demonstrable or impossible to produce evidence for will always be special pleading, regardless as to how long people do it.

What burden of proof were the Neoplatonists intending to avoid?
They were making a philosophical argument as to why the absence of evidence for a deity doesn't mean it absolutely doesn't exist. Not that the deity absolutely does exist, too bad there is no evidence for it.

I agree with everything else, but you do not get to accuse people of special pleading for actually understanding theology.
I don't care how people define the god/gods they worship; if that definition includes attempts to bypass the burden of proof, it is special pleading.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
1. The idea that a deity would be "beyond the universe" isn't in any religious texts, and that goes for the bible.

For one, you're an atheist. Why are you assuming Sola scriptura and insisting that others toss out Holy Tradition? If Christianity has always described God as being either Being Itself (Catholic) or Beyond Being (Orthodox), why does it matter that the Bible itself does not use such language? Why must religious believers explain themselves on your terms instead of on their own?

More importantly, these ideas very much do appear in religious texts. In Hinduism, for example, Brahman is defined as the unchanging, permanent, highest reality throughout the Upanishads. It is incoherent to suggest that a highest reality exists somewhere within the universe. In the Bible as well, there's a fair amount of panentheistic language, from Psalms 139:7-10 to Acts 17:27-29, which is also really inconsistent with conceiving of God as an object within the universe, particularly when Genesis 1 and the creation of the universe is factored in.

2. It has always been special pleading. Defining something in a way that makes it not demonstrable or impossible to produce evidence for will always be special pleading, regardless as to how long people do it.

What you are describing is not the special pleading fallacy at all. Special pleading involves attempting to cite something as an exception to an accepted principle without justification. It has nothing to do with definitions or evidence.

They were making a philosophical argument as to why the absence of evidence for a deity doesn't mean it absolutely doesn't exist. Not that the deity absolutely does exist, too bad there is no evidence for it.

Do you have the slightest idea who the Neoplatonists were or what they believed? You certainly do not seem to be familiar with how Plotinus decided that the One must exist.

The fact of the matter is that this obsession with empirical evidence is a modern pathology; expecting the classical Greeks to share is really quite anachronistic. In other ages, it would not have even occurred to most people that there might be no deities. Greek philosophy generally involves trying to decipher timeless truths about reality from what we know of the world around us. While a lot of it moves straight into monotheism, that was really quite a novel development in an age devoted to the Olympian gods.

I don't care how people define the god/gods they worship; if that definition includes attempts to bypass the burden of proof, it is special pleading.

If they give a reason why they are using such a definition, it is not at all special pleading. Special pleading, again, has nothing to do with a burden of proof.

I would take a look at the theology of someone like Aquinas or Avicenna if you want to see why people use this sort of language. If I felt the need to define God as an entity within the universe, I would be an atheist too. In fact, I suppose I was one for a while due to not understanding theology, so my reasons for rejecting that God is a being somewhere within the universe has nothing to do with burdens of proof and everything to do with the fact that that is idiotic.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
4. God is invisible; and those who demand evidence of His existence within the realm of science does not fully understand science's limitations,

I agree with this. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I agree with this. :oldthumbsup:
Of course everyone is free to make unfalsifiable claims and thereby postulate they are excempt from being put to scrutinity.
The question, however, is: How do we go about dealing with unfalsifiable claims, then?
Until someone can present a method for that, I guess we are left with a shoulder shrugging "Yeah, whatever" as the most appropriate response.

Upvote 0