USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Has anyone here experience some radical Orthodox people here in the Internet? The ones who say stuff like "Zionists", Jewish influence, "Papists", calls heretics to anyone who disagrees, talk about free masonery on the Church, and always complain about Ecumenism?

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think the terms radical and orthodox do not go together well. Change is a long way from their strong suit, and in reality is more of an antithetical reality.

• Agree
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's like EVERY facet of "society"... The Knuckleheads On The Neenernet have the distance, and semi- anonymity , to not only say things they'd have more sense, than to say in an actual public setting... They can draw a crowd of equally distant and semi-anonymous Knuckleheads On The Neenernet , to cheer them on.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,791.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the terms radical and orthodox do not go together well.
Actually, radical orthodox are the ones who sell all they have, give the money to the poor and enter into a life of prayer ;)

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Has anyone here experience some radical Orthodox people here in the Internet? The ones who say stuff like "Zionists", Jewish influence, "Papists", calls heretics to anyone who disagrees, talk about free masonery on the Church, and always complain about Ecumenism?

It depends what you mean.

I know there are plenty of radical people who become Orthodox and take some of their radical (frankly unOrthodox) beliefs with them - whether it is racism / race-realism, blatant anti-Semitism, obsession with "Zionism", etc. The first person that comes to mind is Brother Nathanael.

800628902_517a15f596_b.jpg

On the other hand, there are many Orthodox priests, monks, and Saints who would fall under some of the categories here, but I don't consider them "radical", just conservative and blunt about their thoughts - and I see them as people to look up to.

Saint John Kronstadt was one who comes to mind, and he wrote this:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The "trappings" of Orthodoxy (none of which are essential to the faith - beards, specific styles of icon, certain vestments, certain liturgical practices, certain smells, the list goes on) are very attractive to many people, but, like the Jesus Prayer, getting into them heavy-duty without guidance can lead to pride or other problems. Of course, some of us already had those issues coming into this...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yep, they are out there, along with the other extreme that doesn't see Orthodoxy as the One Church, want to change the Church's views of anthropology and sexuality, etc.

both extremes should be avoided like the plague.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I know there are plenty of radical people who become Orthodox and take some of their radical (frankly unOrthodox) beliefs with them - whether it is racism / race-realism, blatant anti-Semitism, obsession with "Zionism", etc. The first person that comes to mind is Brother Nathanael.

On the other hand, there are many Orthodox priests, monks, and Saints who would fall under some of the categories here, but I don't consider them "radical", just conservative and blunt about their thoughts - and I see them as people to look up to.

Saint John Kronstadt was one who comes to mind, and he wrote this:

I remember Brother Nathanael when I was searching about Orthodoxy online, I used to watch his videos until I realize his radicalism.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yep, they are out there, along with the other extreme that doesn't see Orthodoxy as the One Church, want to change the Church's views of anthropology and sexuality, etc.

both extremes should be avoided like the plague.
Which Church's views of anthropology are you talking about Father?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

IMO, "Brother" Nathanael is an embarrassment to both Jews and Orthodox Christians, not because he is either one but that some think he speaks for them.

Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I am far more concerned with the Barely-dox. The luke-warm, prayer and fast skipping, haven't read the Scriptures or Church Fathers in ages, Liturgy avoiding, Modernist embracing types who look on the rest of us old fogies with amusement coupled with disdain.

Upvote 0