Jul 7, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
✟7,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't like the many problems that IE can encounter, but Firefox won't display a lot of the pages I visit as well as IE does, such as html tables getting messed up due to the "%" in codes for them, etc... if everything looked the same in FF I would use that more.

Upvote 0

raphink

Jan 12, 2005
Cannes
Visit site
✟8,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sunnyshine said:
I don't like the many problems that IE can encounter, but Firefox won't display a lot of the pages I visit as well as IE does, such as html tables getting messed up due to the "%" in codes for them, etc... if everything looked the same in FF I would use that more.

?!
The width="x%" argument is very basic html, nothing special with this... and FF interprets it just as well as IE does.
When a page doesn't show well in FF, it's is very likely that it's not compliant to the standards it claims to be, and the programmer could use a W3C validation...
Funnily, when a program doesn't work well, you won't blame the compiler if it's obvious the programmer didn't respect programming standards...

Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,564.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
sunnyshine said:

There is an extension in Firefox called ieview that will allow you to quickly pull up the page you are looking on in IE if it isn't displaying properly in Firefox. Just right click, select "View this page in IE", and it starts up IE to that page.

Thus you can use the better browser normally and be prepared for those pages that don't view properly in it.

Upvote 0

sunnyshine

Jul 7, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
✟7,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
StromRider said:
There is an extension in Firefox called ieview that will allow you to quickly pull up the page you are looking on in IE if it isn't displaying properly in Firefox. Just right click, select "View this page in IE", and it starts up IE to that page.

Thus you can use the better browser normally and be prepared for those pages that don't view properly in it.

Wow -- thanks! :thumbsup: I never knew that, lol.

The width="x%" argument is very basic html, nothing special with this... and FF interprets it just as well as IE does.

I just know that when I view some of my own webpages in FF they look funny... like the one in my signature, the scrolling marquee near the bottom displays strangely in FF and stacks itself instead of staying side-by-side and I used % (which, I am teaching myself html so I'm still not all that sure what I'm doing, so it's probably just me, heh)... plus the DHTML colored scrollbars don't show up in FF!! :cry::) lol.

Upvote 0

flashwizard

Apr 7, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟192.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
Ahhh bummer, FireFox 1.0.4 came out about what, 5 days after 1.0.3...hmmmm :(

I thought everybody loves FireFox b/c it's safer...

Open source will never be safe...sorry to say. It's only a matter of time before it get's washed out like every other browser.

It's no safer than IE, infact I believe IE is safer, especially after SP2.

Upvote 0

doofus125

Goodbye
Aug 31, 2003
✟3,627.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
flashwizard said:

Open source will never be safe...sorry to say. It's only a matter of time before it get's washed out like every other browser.

This is why I refuse to use a substandard browser (Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, etc.) that doesn't show code properly, why do I want to use a browser that doesn't do what it should? I'll stick with IE, at least they are catching the security issues and fixing them. No software is 100% safe, there are always bugs and security issues no matter how "perfect" you think you are or how perfect you think your software is because there is always someone out there just a little smarter than you who wants to cause trouble and see what they can destroy.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
flashwizard said:

Soooo.... FF is less safe because a flaw was found and they promptly fixed it where as M$ stuff is safer because they sometimes wait a month or two until the scheduled patch time to fix the flaws?

Upvote 0

raphink

Jan 12, 2005
Cannes
Visit site
✟8,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Inbox24 said:
IE has been targeted by hackers and other unscrupulous characters for a long time since it has been so popular. When firefox gets as popular as IE did lots of hackers will target it too.

Please please use the right words to talk about things... a hacker is not necessarily a pirate, it's a programmer... you are talking about crackers, pirates, black-hats, not hackers... Firefox is programmed by hackers, people who could possibly be black-hats if they wanted to, and thus know how to find a security hole and fix it. Don't tell me M$ developpers are such people ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

raphink

Jan 12, 2005
Cannes
Visit site
✟8,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
doofus125 said:
This is why I refuse to use a substandard browser (Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, etc.) that doesn't show code properly.

What are standards to you?
Standards in regards to HTML, XML and other internet codes are decided by something called the W3C, not by M$. Firefox is fully compliant to W3C stantards, IE is not. Now if some low-level developpers choose to program webpages using M$ products that don't respect the W3C standars, they are responsible for their work... I'm fine with not visiting pages that stick to the "IE standards" rather than to the offical ones.

Upvote 0

raphink

Jan 12, 2005
Cannes
Visit site
✟8,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
flashwizard said:

What other open-source browser are you talking about?! Have you ever been using Konqueror or Evolution? Maybe Links or Lynx then ...

Upvote 0

WalksWithChrist

Seeking God's Will
Jan 5, 2005
USA
Visit site
✟38,526.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
doofus125 said:
This is why I refuse to use a substandard browser (Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, etc.) that doesn't show code properly, why do I want to use a browser that doesn't do what it should? I'll stick with IE, at least they are catching the security issues and fixing them. No software is 100% safe, there are always bugs and security issues no matter how "perfect" you think you are or how perfect you think your software is because there is always someone out there just a little smarter than you who wants to cause trouble and see what they can destroy.
It may be a pain at times, but if we as 'net junkies keep using browsers other than IE then web developers out there will *slowly* but surely get the hint and use STANDARD CODE when developing sites instead of catering to one browser that is the property of one company...M$.

Upvote 0

raphink

Jan 12, 2005
Cannes
Visit site
✟8,305.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
WalksWithChrist said:
It may be a pain at times, but if we as 'net junkies keep using browsers other than IE then web developers out there will *slowly* but surely get the hint and use STANDARD CODE when developing sites instead of catering to one browser that is the property of one company...M$.

Yeah :)
I'm one of these small developpers who used for years to try to make their websites compliant to IE and spent thrice as much time on them so it would work fine with this browser, and now I'm one of these more and more numerous website programmers who just put on their site W3C compliant tags and a link to download a browser compliant to W3C standards for free. I'll somtimes put a short sentence telling people it's free to get a browser compliant to standards, and they don't have to stick to one that has its one ones... even be they M$ standards...

Standards should be agreed by the society, not imposed by companies...

Upvote 0