International Church of Christ

LilJenny45

Aug 10, 2013
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Is anybody familiar with this denomination? I recently moved back to my hometown and was invited to attend services by a friend I recently reconnected with from high school. Everybody is super friendly, and the services seemed legit, but they have a very particular way of speaking (lots of internal terminology, etc) that makes them seem slightly cultish, or at least closed off. Anybody with an experience with this group?

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No personal experience, but I do know that the ICC is a fairly recent branch off from the Churches of Christ; and I have read a number of members of the Churches of Christ say, on Christian Forums, that the ICC is exactly what you fear it is. If you were to go to the forum here that is for the Churches of Christ and Disciples of Christ ("No Creed But Christ--the "Restoration Movement") I'm sure that there are people who could tell you more.

Upvote 0

stavros388

Oct 25, 2013
BC
✟14,970.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is anybody familiar with this denomination? I recently moved back to my hometown and was invited to attend services by a friend I recently reconnected with from high school. Everybody is super friendly, and the services seemed legit, but they have a very particular way of speaking (lots of internal terminology, etc) that makes them seem slightly cultish, or at least closed off. Anybody with an experience with this group?

I have experience with this church. Funny enough, it was my first "church" experience. Do a web search. It is - or at least was - very much a cult. I would highly recommend staying away.

Upvote 0

LilJenny45

Aug 10, 2013
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I googled them, and it definitely heightened, if not confirmed, my concerns. They seemed to have done away with their pyramid scheme of a leadership hierarchy, but it still sounds like they're very controlling and very closed off from outsiders and are still very aggressive in their recruitment methods.

Upvote 0
S

StormHawk

I met them in the UK 20+ years ago, they cite Acts 2:38 for salvation:
"Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"

but say that if you think you have repented and been baptised (with them) then you must have received the Spirit.
Even a cursory look at the previous verses shows that God's independent witness of speaking in tongues not a human witness was taken as proof of receiving the new Life.

Everyone does what is right in their own eyes, Jesus only nominated one way, man has de-nominated (broken up) that way.

Where will you go now? I hope you go for people that are faithful to the original. That is "legit", anyone who rejects that (and most "churches" do) is illegitimate.

I'm with these.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's in a name? It is what is happening within that matters. One needs to find what is true to the Word of God for His testimony in the world. I recommend the very sound site at biblecounsel.net to see God's testimony as He intended for man. One can ask questions there and see sound ministry for the universal Church.

Upvote 0

LilJenny45

Aug 10, 2013
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What gets me is their teaching that baptism is required for forgiveness of sins. To quote from their own Bible study: "This study helps establish that baptism—and the faith that prompts it—is the link between Christ’s sacrifice and
the forgiveness of our sins"
I could probably get past some doctrinal arguments, but I can't abide by the teaching that it's only after you baptized that you're saved. It makes me sad, because they are some genuinely sweet people, but a bit disturbing. I was so excited about the possibility of fitting in at the first church I tried after moving.

Upvote 0
S

StormHawk

What gets me is their teaching that baptism is required for forgiveness of sins. ...

3 questions:

1) Scripturaly, baptism identifies with Jesus' death for our sin, on our behalf (Romans 6:3-4).
It admits "no confidence in the flesh" and should be done believing there is a new life to receive, the need to be born again (see John 3:6-8, Acts 2:4, 33 etc).
Do you think you are "saved" without this?

2) Why did Jesus and the apostles command baptism to those seeking salvation rather than pronounce them saved if they make a confession of sins?
(see Matt. 28:18-20, Mark 16:15-17, Acts 2:37-38, 10:44-48 etc)

3) Consider also this truth:
"eight souls were saved by water. The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ" (1 Peter 3:20-21)

Has the person who refuses baptism repented and believed the gospel?

Upvote 0

LilJenny45

Aug 10, 2013
✟15,185.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
At what point did I suggest believers should refuse baptism or say that it was good for them to do so? Believers should be baptized to represent their new life in Christ, and make an outward profession of said belief. I do not, however, think the Bible supports a "faith and belief don't count for anything until you've been dunked" teaching.

But we disagree here, and that's OK. I don't actually want to get into another theological debate over this (I've heard both sides argue it ever so many times), so we're just going to have to agree to disagree. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my post, and I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewells36

Nov 11, 2013
Lansing, Michigan
✟15,608.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ok such a great question because I too have had been to a few of their church services. When I had went before, Kip McKean was still the leader of the ICC but a few years ago, he has stepped down from leadership and actually has split with the movement that he started - Boston CoC - and has created his own new church movement that really only has a small amount of people in a few states. They have now actually dropped the International from their name and have moved to just saying (city) Church of Christ - for example - Lansing Church Of Christ

Their is one in my area - Lansing Church Of Christ - and from what I have seen by going there a few times is that the ICC, as a whole, is now becoming more mainstream in their beliefs and attempting to move back to the umbrella of the Church of Christ beliefs/practices. When I was going to the LCoC in my area, I indeed liked the services and the preaching/teaching. I even did a few of the studies with them and despite a couple of times I disagreed with the pastor on different beliefs they had, I still think highly of this organization.

Theology has always been an issue among the many different denominations of the Christian faith. Some hold to more traditional understandings of scripture and others hold to a more liberal interpretation of the scriptures. When I was going, I experienced some really great teaching about how we need to be disciples of Christ, go out into the world, and reach the lost with the message of Jesus. That was what I really admired about this organization that despite everyone having their own issues in life, their own busy schedules, that the church as a whole, would come together and go out into the world and just show love and share His message

Will I go back to that church and continue the studies with them? I do not know, only God knows and if I do indeed feel led to go back, then I will go back but until then, I just keep a prayerful attitude and may God guide me to where He wants me to worship and fellowship at

Upvote 0

Merrily

Woolly Anglican
Nov 5, 2013
The Heart of Rural England
✟15,542.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I met them in the UK 20+ years ago, they cite Acts 2:38 for salvation:
"Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"

but say that if you think you have repented and been baptised (with them) then you must have received the Spirit.
Even a cursory look at the previous verses shows that God's independent witness of speaking in tongues not a human witness was taken as proof of receiving the new Life.

Everyone does what is right in their own eyes, Jesus only nominated one way, man has de-nominated (broken up) that way.

Where will you go now? I hope you go for people that are faithful to the original. That is "legit", anyone who rejects that (and most "churches" do) is illegitimate.

I'm with these.

One of the few sects that, back then; we banned from our campus.
Birmingham University bans International Churches of Christ

Upvote 0