Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You are right they do not truly know God because they deny Jesus.
Then the one they are calling Allah is a false god, a fake.

However, their religion is an attempt (albiet a failure) to worship and know the true God.

If they truly and honestly wanted to Worship "The One True God," all they would have to do is, "Repent of their Sin of Idolatry," and convert to Christianity.

Christianity was around way befor Islam, but they chose to start a completely NEW Religion and worship a false god, rather than Believing in Jesus as the Savior of the world, and Worshiping the One True God.

If you want to deny that they worship the same God, you have to deny that they worship at all.

The fact that they do worship a false god, does mean they might as well NOT worship at all.

Upvote 0

Apostoliclife

Jan 11, 2018
minnesota
✟15,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Perhaps we disagree on the possibility of other religions to possess a portion of the Truth. In the Catholic Tradition this is a commonly held belief. Other Christian denominations possess a large portion of the truth. After that, religions like Judaism also possess truth, albeit lacking. Likewise philosophers before Christ possessed portions of the truth although they lacked revelation. So too, Muslims, although largely incorrect, possess some sliver of the truth.

Would you agree with that, amariselle and JIMINZ?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps we disagree on the possibility of other religions to possess a portion of the Truth.
In the Catholic Tradition this is a commonly held belief. Other Christian denominations possess a large portion of the truth.After that, religions like Judaism also possess truth, albeit lacking. Likewise philosophers before Christ possessed portions of the truth although they lacked revelation. So too, Muslims, although largely incorrect, possess some sliver of the truth.
Other Religions outside of Christianity Do Not Possess the Truth in relation to God and His Christ.

Let me put it this way.
All Truth comes from The God who Created the Universe, so yes there is Truth out there to be picked up and used by whosoever will, but not in relation to Salvation.

Here is an example of someone using a truth without believing.

Mark 9:38
And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.

Notice it says, he used use the Name of Jesus, and cast out devils.

This person was not a follower of Jesus, but he picked up the truth, that in the Name of Jesus, these miracles were possible.

I wrote a whole thing, but I erased it all because all that needs to be said and understood both by Catholics, and Muslims is.

Act 4:12
Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Mark 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does it only work when Christians talk or with other religions? Is possible to have common ground with other faiths or only with other Christians?
Define "common ground," please.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
So too, Muslims, although largely incorrect, possess some sliver of the truth.
An unequivocal NO.

1Co 3:11
11) For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12) Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13) Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Perhaps we disagree on the possibility of other religions to possess a portion of the Truth. In the Catholic Tradition this is a commonly held belief. Other Christian denominations possess a large portion of the truth. After that, religions like Judaism also possess truth, albeit lacking. Likewise philosophers before Christ possessed portions of the truth although they lacked revelation. So too, Muslims, although largely incorrect, possess some sliver of the truth.

What "Truth" is it that you believe they possess exactly?

(I noticed you capitalized "Truth", did you do so because you're referring to Christ as the Truth?)

If so, perhaps you could explain how you believe a religion that denies/rejects the "Truth", Jesus Christ, still possess even a "portion" of the "Truth"?

As for the official Catholic view on other religions, and according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, I am quite aware of how they view Islam. The ecumenical perspective and false unity is very concerning, but as it is related to the topic of this thread, perhaps could be discussed further in regards to how it relates to "interfaith dialogue."

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Does it only work when Christians talk or with other religions? Is possible to have common ground with other faiths or only with other Christians?
I don't really know how much ground you can really have with other faiths, but I do think it is helpful to have interfaith dialogue, even if it's to show some kind of good will or at least acknowledge that you know they exist and that they're people. Sometimes interfaith dialogue can also be good at tackling extremism and terrorism. There are some groups that don't really realize that they have the propensity to be extreme until they have people from another faith group come visit, and they realize that some of the stuff they usually say is extreme. That could really be about any group, even a Christian one. I've taken world religion classes before where I was required to visit other faith groups as an assignment, and what I just described was my experience from that. Some groups will actually have a special speaker just for an interfaith event because their regular speaker would be too extreme for the general public. I'm kind of tired of interfaith though because there comes a point where it's nice to just be in your own religious bubble, which is exactly the reason interfaith dialogue exists. complicated

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Many years ago, there was a Comparative Religion conference at Oxford U. They were discussing the question of what was distinctive about Christianity. It was pointed out that such doctrines as the virgin birth and resurrection of inspired religions leaders was hardly novel in Christianity. For instance, did you know that a greater percentage of Muslims believe in Jesus' virgin birth than Christians? Most religions teach the need to love our neighbor as ourself. C. S. Lewis came in late and gave his answer: "Oh that's easy--a religion based on divine grace." Many professors thought that was the best answer.

We can't pretend to love people of other faiths, if we are unwilling to put our apologetic ax away and just listen to how they would justify their beliefs, how these beliefs have changed their lives, and how their treatment by Christians has offended them and closed their minds to deeper dialogue. Effective evangelism is relational and that means grasping their apologetics as well as you grasp Christian apologetics. Here are 2 stories that illustrate the urgent need for evangelicals to learn to disagree agreeably:

(1) In the 1980s, Muslims were looking for a place in Tennessee to build a large Muslim complex (a large mosque, a convention center, and a gym) in Tennessee, but were persecuted in proposed locales. Finally, they began to build in Murfreesboro, TN, but their project was sabotaged by vandalism and arson. The church adjacent to this property decided to change all that and opened a Muslim-Christian dialogue. The church then set up a large Welcome Muslims sign on their property and opened their doors for Muslims to conduct their worship until their new mosque was completed. This reconciling outreach shamed community protesters, including many Christians, and the Muslim complex is now thriving.

(2) The UM church I used to pastor was virtually across the parking lot from a Mormon church. One day, their Mormon bishop came to my office in tears. False rumors were flying that we had agreed to send our bell choir to perform in the Mormon church and we were been excoriated for this compromise by local evangelicals. The bishop wanted to apologize for any embarrassment caused by this false rumor.

My response? I said that if they wanted our bell choir to perform there, I would gladly approve this and if evangelicals wanted to hate on me for this, I would wear their criticism as a badge of honor. The bishop was deeply moved and our choir performed there. Evangelicals must learn to disagree agreeably and honor Paul's teaching:
"Let love be authentic...outdo one another in showing respect (Romans 12:9-10).

This led to a special meeting at the Mormon church on common doctrinal ground between Mormons and conservative Christians. All churches were invited, but only I and a local Catholic priest showed up, together with several members of my church.
The speakers stressed their respect for the Bible as God's Word and their support of the basics of evangelical faith--salvation by grace through faith in Christ's finished work on the cross, etc. There were testimonies to Mormon miracles in response to prayer and to their gratitude for their life-changing relationship with Christ. Sure, they were stressing common ground and suppressing their differences. But it was clear that the basics they shared were sufficient for them to qualify as born again Christians, despite the fact that Joseph Smith is clearly a false prophet!

The Mormons wanted to be admitted to our local ministerial association. I shared the common ground established by our interfaith meeting, but at first our association opposed the proposal. I argued that we need one interchurch organization that pursues mutual understand and cooperation in a quest for common ground. Eventually, the Mormons were allowed to join the association.

• Winner
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Apostoliclife

Jan 11, 2018
minnesota
✟15,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
An unequivocal NO.

1Co 3:11
11) For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12) Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13) Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
None-the-less, if you were to list out the beliefs of Christianity and Islam, there would be some (possible very little, but still some) overlap.

Upvote 0

DominicBaptiste

Oct 16, 2017
North Alabama
✟21,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
None-the-less, if you were to list out the beliefs of Christianity and Islam, there would be some (possible very little, but still some) overlap.
I think the main overlap between Christianity and Islam is probably Mary. I didn't realize that until a couple years ago. I probably read it on Wikipedia. I think I saw a youtube video too interviewing some Muslim women, and one of them said that if Mary was to be alive today, she would probably be more like a Muslim woman than a Western Christian woman. I don't know if that's true or not, but I imagine that Jewish women in Jesus's time were probably much more modest than women today, but I wasn't there, so I don't really know. Mary in Islam - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm staunchly anti-ecumenist. So whether there is common ground with other Christian sects or with other religions I can care less. I reject all aspects of ecumenism. Only come to me if you want to know in a sincere manner what I believe because what you believe is not what I believe. The same with charity, sorry but I don't want to work with you. I'm sure you have your own charitable organizations as I have mine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I'm staunchly anti-ecumenist. So whether there is common ground with other Christian sects
Why use the word Sect, rather than Denomination, why are you so prejudicial against other Christians,

Mat. 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Only come to me if you want to know in a sincere manner what I believe because what you believe is not what I believe.

Are you saying someone who does not profess to be Eastern Orthodox is not Christian?

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, it definitely helps. Interfaith dialogue keeps us from having holy wars.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The Mormon religion opposes Christianity, worships 2 of their own gods, teaches that non-Mormons need to be re-baptized, teaches that the Bible is insufficient, that all people must accept Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, etc.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Judaism, Islam and Christianity all worship the God of Abraham, so one would hope that common ground can be found. The problem is that Islam and Christianity both teach exclusivity in regards to salvation. However, Judaism does not, It teaches that those who abide by the Noahide laws, regardless of one's faith, will have a place in Heaven.

I think the exclusivisity is more of a human interpretation, and more Christians are willing to engage with this question in an open manner that is less triumphalistic. Since the 60's in particular, Catholic and mainline churches have been more comfortable with pluralism of ideas in society, and that the Church does not necessarily circumscribe God's mission in the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Islam does not worship the God of Abraham, neither do they acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah, the Only Begotten Son of God.

Actually, Muslims do acknowledge Jesus as the Messiah of Israel.

Upvote 0