Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey... are you a strawman? I mean, hay...

hqdefault.jpg

Forgive me...

• Haha
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟403,021.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you Daniel, except that it's a he.

Otherwise you're spot on.

Oh dear! My bad. I just saw the photo of the lady and lazily presumed it was the author! Thanks for letting me know. I'll edit the post :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh dear! My bad. I just saw the photo of the lady and lazily presumed it was the author! Thanks for letting me know. I'll edit the post :)

LOL! I did too.

• Haha
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then please extend the grace to me to bear with me as i attempt to explain in my clumsy way, what the "fear of the Lord" is, my friend.

David, delighted in fearing God. Perhaps that is why God called David "the apple of His eye" and "a man after His own heart".

It's worth a study.

God bless you.
I do understand the 'fear of the Lord', truly...it can be hard to convey in words. Your last post to this captured it well, my friend.
I now compare it to being thrilled and delighted in Him. Song of Solomon 5:3 I have put off my coat; how shall I put it on? I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them?

4 My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door, and my bowels were moved for him.

5 I rose up to open to my beloved; and my hands dropped with myrrh, and my fingers with sweet smelling myrrh, upon the handles of the lock.

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I do understand the 'fear of the Lord', truly...it can be hard to convey in words. Your last post to this captured it well, my friend.
I now compare it to being thrilled and delighted in Him. Song of Solomon 5:3 I have put off my coat; how shall I put it on? I have washed my feet; how shall I defile them?

4 My beloved put in his hand by the hole of the door, and my bowels were moved for him.

5 I rose up to open to my beloved; and my hands dropped with myrrh, and my fingers with sweet smelling myrrh, upon the handles of the lock.

Well that's one perspective :)

......for me it's kinda hard to explain. i'm like 7 and i'm crawling under His wing like it says in this verse, because He truly is my only Refuge:

psalm-91-4.jpg

Reactions: PeaceJoyLove
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just read through a bunch of comments about relating to the blogger. Let me give you another perspective. My husband was a pastor for a few years, his father before him. Both faced harsh treatment that some call persecution at the hands of the parishioners. In one church my husband pastored they were so irate that he preached that we were to love all men including but not limited to our enemies and neighbors that the church threatened him. He stood firm on the word of God and so they attacked me. When my husband continued to stand firm they attacked our very young children.

In another church he pastored they were so angry over him preaching the word of God that 2 of the much older deacon children physically assaulted our young boys by the time we knew what was going on, we were on the verge of an ER visit. The churches response? Fire the pastor.

I could tell more and more stories like this that happened to us and other pastors like us. By and large (iow's not all churches but more than we should accept) are too willing to sell out Christ for the message that tickles itching ears. That is why I am interested in this discussion.

As I said previously it sounds like from what you all are saying that the issue is about whether Scripture is an authority in our lives or just some book we call good and leave it on the shelf to collect dust so we can brag about being "christian".

From my perspective since we are talking about perspectives here the blogger is simply wrong not because they have no more fear but because they have abandoned God in favor of the church. IOW's it isn't about the church at all, it's about Christ and you can love and follow Christ no matter what the church says or does or how evil the church acts because in Christ we are set free from the bondage of both sin and death and that bondage to sin is both our own and the affects of others sins on us.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
About fear of the Lord, if we read and study Psalms 34 what it means is that which compels us to righteousness. If that is awe and reverence than so be it, if it is all out fear and trembling than so be that. Fear of the Lord is that understanding of God that drives us to our knees in humility and repentance before the throne of the Living God.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I just read through a bunch of comments about relating to the blogger. Let me give you another perspective. My husband was a pastor for a few years, his father before him. Both faced harsh treatment that some call persecution at the hands of the parishioners. In one church my husband pastored they were so irate that he preached that we were to love all men including but not limited to our enemies and neighbors that the church threatened him. He stood firm on the word of God and so they attacked me. When my husband continued to stand firm they attacked our very young children.

In another church he pastored they were so angry over him preaching the word of God that 2 of the much older deacon children physically assaulted our young boys by the time we knew what was going on, we were on the verge of an ER visit. The churches response? Fire the pastor.

I could tell more and more stories like this that happened to us and other pastors like us. By and large (iow's not all churches but more than we should accept) are too willing to sell out Christ for the message that tickles itching ears. That is why I am interested in this discussion.

As I said previously it sounds like from what you all are saying that the issue is about whether Scripture is an authority in our lives or just some book we call good and leave it on the shelf to collect dust so we can brag about being "christian".

From my perspective since we are talking about perspectives here the blogger is simply wrong not because they have no more fear but because they have abandoned God in favor of the church. IOW's it isn't about the church at all, it's about Christ and you can love and follow Christ no matter what the church says or does or how evil the church acts because in Christ we are set free from the bondage of both sin and death and that bondage to sin is both our own and the affects of others sins on us.
Interesting perspective since you are the wife of a former pastor. Thanks for sharing and sorry the church treated you like that..

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Interesting perspective since you are the wife of a former pastor. Thanks for sharing and sorry the church treated you like that..
thanks, taught us a lot about standing firm on the Word of God and being faithful no matter the struggle. Maybe that taught us to be faithful through the loss of our son and our children running from God as well. "ALL things work together for good for those who Love the Lord for those who are called according to His purpose."

One more thought...I think we need to stop blaming the church and start looking at ourselves to find out what is wrong with the church. Just a thought for what it's worth. IOW's if you fear it isn't the church causing it, it is your lack of trust in the King of Kings and Lord of Lords...

• Friendly
Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Being "in" Christ is not the same as calling myself "Christ" and claiming to BE Christ the Savior.
I think you're missing the nuance there. I believe he meant what he wrote in the context of the passage that says:

The Bible said:
My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

.....and was correcting the common notion that we "have a relationship with Christ"--which distances God from us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeaceJoyLove

Apr 9, 2017
Nova Scotia
✟74,422.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well that's one perspective :)

......for me it's kinda hard to explain. i'm like 7 and i'm crawling under His wing like it says in this verse, because He truly is my only Refuge:

psalm-91-4.jpg
Indeed! He is all of that. Amazing He is!

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I think you're missing the nuance there. I believe he meant what he wrote in the context of the passage that says:

.....and was correcting the common notion that we "have a relationship with Christ"--which distances God from us.

No, i didn't miss anything. I'm familiar with the verses and the verses say what they mean. The verses you posted are not saying that "we" are Christ.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, exactly.

The Lord Jesus said: "Sanctify them through Thy truth; Thy word is truth" (John 17.17).

Reactions: razzelflabben
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No, i didn't miss anything. I'm familiar with the verses and the verses say what they mean. The verses you posted are not saying that "we" are Christ.

Neither is the author-- not in the way you're interpreting that.....but I believe *this* is what the author meant:

" It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. "~Galatians 2:20

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟47,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why is that one not for you?

Well, it all depends on how those terms are defined. For example, I'm not against science, but I do not adhere to strict methodological naturalism. I don't have any qualms with special creation or supernatural events. I have a feeling the author, especially with their position on biblical non-inerrancy, would be fine naturalizing many of the miracles in the Bible.

Upvote 0

RisenInJesus

Apr 8, 2016
USA
✟34,201.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Then the Bible promotes pantheism--because that's straight from the Bible:

But if Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, the spirit is life because of righteousness.”Romans 8:10

I am crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me.”Galatians 2:20

Christ in you, the hope of glory.”Colossians 1:27

"Remain in Me, and I will remain in you. Just as no branch can bear fruit by itself unless it remains in the vine, neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in Me." --John 15:4
These verses in no way promotes pantheism which is nothing but a twisted counterfeit of the new life in Christ which the scriptures show is experienced by a believer in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0