Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the following article is interesting.

No Longer Afraid—The Day My Heart Outgrew Conservative Evangelicalism

I used to be, but today is a brand new day.

I’m not afraid anymore—something has happened deep within my being. New perspectives, revelation, and spiritual understandings have changed my mind completely. No, not in some kind of condescending way nor with a joy that excludes you. I’m just a completely different person now—my soul convictions and overall posture are nothing of the same.

I understand. Perhaps to you, it seems like I’m out of control, descending into a death-spiral plummeting into everything and anything that is backslidden and heretical. Yes, I suppose it’s true, I am out of control and it’s such a beautiful thing—breathing for the very first time. I’ve lost no love for you, mean no disrespect, nor harbor any pride in saying so—but conservative Evangelicalism, it feels like my heart has outgrown you—I can’t lie.

Where I used to curl up in the fetal position, turn off my brain, play dead, tuck in my shirt, and quickly fall in line, a seismic grace-bomb has gone off within me sending waves of courage and freedom supplied with a simple message, “have no fear.”

Call it a spiritual emancipation, a soul-revolution, or a new found courage to walk away. All I know is this—today is like no other, I’ll never be the same. Conservative Evangelical Christianity—with all due respect, I’m no longer afraid. (see more at No Longer Afraid—The Day My Heart Outgrew Conservative Evangelicalism - Chris Kratzer )​

Last edited:

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I’m not afraid anymore—something has happened deep within my being. New perspectives, revelation, and spiritual understandings have changed my mind completely. No, not in some kind of condescending way nor with a joy that excludes you. I’m just a completely different person now—my soul convictions and overall posture are nothing of the same.

I understand. Perhaps to you, it seems like I’m out of control, descending into a death-spiral plummeting into everything and anything that is backslidden and heretical. Yes, I suppose it’s true, I am out of control and it’s such a beautiful thing—breathing for the very first time. I’ve lost no love for you, mean no disrespect, nor harbor any pride in saying so—but conservative Evangelicalism, it feels like my heart has outgrown you—I can’t lie.

Where I used to curl up in the fetal position, turn off my brain, play dead, tuck in my shirt, and quickly fall in line, a seismic grace-bomb has gone off within me sending waves of courage and freedom supplied with a simple message, “have no fear.”

Call it a spiritual emancipation, a soul-revolution, or a new found courage to walk away. All I know is this—today is like no other, I’ll never be the same. Conservative Evangelical Christianity—with all due respect, I’m no longer afraid. (see more at No Longer Afraid—The Day My Heart Outgrew Conservative Evangelicalism - Chris Kratzer )
I am very happy for you, bro!
What a great post. I could probably find something to intellectually quibble with, but I recognize the spirit of your post and share in it. Thank you for sharing that. Had my first Ginger Beer just the other day, btw. I bought it a Natural Grocer store. Trying to get more ginger in my diet. It's good stuff.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Call it a spiritual emancipation, a soul-revolution, or a new found courage to walk away. All I know is this—today is like no other, I’ll never be the same. Conservative Evangelical Christianity—with all due respect, I’m no longer afraid. (see more at No Longer Afraid—The Day My Heart Outgrew Conservative Evangelicalism - Chris Kratzer )
I’m not afraid anymore
Afraid of what, specifically?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
That's explained in the quote and in the article. click the link if you want more information.

I read it. There was a list of "no longer afraid's".

For clarity's sake:

Was it this "religion" you speak of that you are saying you are no longer afraid of?

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I read it. There was a list of "no longer afraid's".

For clarity's sake:

Was it this "religion" you speak of that you are saying you are no longer afraid of?
The article is not mine. Why do you think it is?

Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The article is not mine. Why do you think it is?

My bad.

I assumed it was because you posted it and therefore assumed it was your opinion.

Why did you post it?

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My bad.

I assumed it was because you posted it and therefore assumed it was your opinion.

Why did you post it?
Because it is an interesting perspective. Like the topic title says.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's explained in the quote and in the article. click the link if you want more information.

Try using your own voice and expressing your own thoughts your own way.. You probably will get more responces and interest.. Your post is just way to vague..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Try using your own voice and expressing your own thoughts your own way.. You probably will get more responces and interest.. Your post is just way to vague..
I do not post to get "more responses" I posted the first paragraphs of the article because it is an interesting perspective. It is not a perspective that I share. It is interesting.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Congratulations Brother. When we see something repeated in scriptures, we know that it's soething important that God wants us to very much learn. Otherwise He wouldn't repeat Himself.

Well it just so happens that the most often repeated phrase in the entire bible is, "have no fear-Fear not-be not afraid". It's repeated so much that it kind of comes across like a command. It's entirely possible that fear is actually a sin.

He has not given us a spirit of fear.

2 Timothy 1:7

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.../

Back in the Garden of Eden before the fall, the Lord gave to man total dominion over everything on earth that moves. We of course lost that in the fall but we did too get it back when we were born again! Being in Christ and Christ in us is the reason that we should not fear anything. It's not something that we'll get at the 2nd coming, it is now. When Jesus said, it is finished...he meant it. Right then.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay, admittedly I couldn't even bring myself to read the whole article because two things kept bombarding me as I read and escalated in my mind the longer I read.

1. this sounds like religion not relationship
2. what conservative group does this person belong to that draws out all these fears? The conservative people I know don't do the things that the article claims were fears.

I'm so confused by all this religion based conservative vs. liberal agenda of today and I would love to have someone unravel it for me.

Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It's a great piece of an article to open up discussion on the evolution of the church. Somebody else posted it on Monday, as I recall. It links to a useful and interesting site for progressive Christians or anybody interesting in reading about what Christians other than themselves are thinking and feeling.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Boooooring. This isn't new or interesting. Protestant Liberalism did this 100 years ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I do not post to get "more responses" I posted the first paragraphs of the article because it is an interesting perspective. It is not a perspective that I share. It is interesting.

In sharing the article, you do realize that there will be responses, and that some of those responses will be questions?

Getting back to my first question, what is your take on what the author of the article was saying he was so afraid of?

For reference see post #5.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In sharing the article, you do realize that there will be responses, and that some of those responses will be questions?

Getting back to my first question, what is your take on what the author of the article was saying he was so afraid of?

For reference see post #5.
I just said (i post #11) that the perspective in the article is not one that I share.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I just said (i post #11) that the perspective in the article is not one that I share.

Do you have any thoughts on the article you posted?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Ok then i have assumed wrongly..

Upvote 0