Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Two self-described "liberals" – Joe Rogan and Bill Maher – tore progressive policies to shreds during a recent podcast. The liberal commentators lampooned "woke" politics, questioned the authenticity of the black lives matter movement, sounded the alarm about so-called "gender-affirming care," and talked about the dangers of equity versus equality.

Rogan said of Maher, "I think they look at you like a guy who they're worried about because you don't toe the line. You're like a 90s liberal. You're like liberals back when they were more reasonable, before they became leftists. And now every liberal, kind of has to be a leftist. If you want to be on the team, you got to subscribe to the most fringe ideas that the team is promoting."

Maher added, "I'm always trying to make the case that liberal is a different animal than woke. Because it is. And you can be woke with all the nonsense that that now implies, but don't say that somehow it’s an extension of liberalism. Because it’s most often actually an undoing of liberalism. So you can have your points of view and your positions on these things, but don't try to piggyback on what I've always believed."

"I have always believed, as liberals do, for example, in a colorblind society, that the goal is to not see race at all, anywhere, for any reason," Maher said on the most recent episode of "The Joe Rogan Experience." "That’s what liberals always believed, all the way through Obama going back to Kennedy, everybody, Martin Luther King."

"That’s not what the woke believe," Maher said. "They believe race is first and foremost the thing you should always see everywhere. Which I find interesting because that used to be the position of the Ku Klux Klan. That we see race first and foremost everywhere."

Rogan said extreme poverty and extreme crime are a major issue. He said he attempted to understand the woke ideology, but believes that the best solution is equality and not equity.

Rogan noted that having too many progressive policies attempting to achieve equity could lead to lawlessness like in San Francisco and Portland. He noted that stores in San Francisco had to lock up frozen food because of rampant shoplifting.

Maher chimed in, "Liberalism was never 'shoplifting is progressive.' And we weren't interested in legalizing shoplifting, or I guess we should call it 'justice shopping.'"

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think they look at you like a guy who they're worried about because you don't toe the line.

The only person worried about Bill Maher is Bill Maher.

*checks wikipedia*

lol, I had no idea he was still on HBO. And I subscribe to HBO. I hope they’re getting him for cheap.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The only person worried about Bill Maher is Bill Maher.

*checks wikipedia*

lol, I had no idea he was still on HBO. And I subscribe to HBO. I hope they’re getting him for cheap.
Bill Mahar is one of the few liberal celebrities whom I respect.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Bill Mahar is one of the few liberal celebrities whom I respect.
Why? Is being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian something to be applauded? Lots of people on the left are critical of other trends on the left, without being as smarmy as Maher.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why? Is being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian something to be applauded? Lots of people on the left are critical of other trends on the left, without being as smarmy as Maher.
Besides him and Joe Rogan, I am not aware of any liberal celebrities whom are very critical of left wing progressives and the "woke" ideologies.

Please enlighten me of some other liberal celebrities who also do this.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Besides him and Joe Rogan, I am not aware of any liberal celebrities whom are very critical of left wing progressives and the "woke" ideologies.

Please enlighten me of some other liberal celebrities who also do this.
Do journalists and columnists count as celebrities?

Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well at least they are not blind:

Joe Rogan: 'It's Really Childhood Mutilation' ROGAN: “… it's terrifying that they're that they're calling it gender-affirming care when it's really childhood mutilation before you have the ability to figure out what permanent means…” MAHER: “I couldn't agree more…”

@BillMaher
: "Murders have been happening in Chicago among the African American community for far too long and not really reported in the way they should be. It's amazing how black lives don't seem to matter when they are taken by black lives."

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟66,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Matt Yglesias is fairly well known and is often critical of the left.
I have not heard of him, yet. Now, I know a little about his work after Googling him.
Thank you.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The far-left radicals have pushed the Democratic Party further left, and people are getting fed up

A vivid illustration of how bad things are getting in our society as a whole, can be seen in the infestation of Critical Race Theory (CRT) and DEI efforts in American colleges in universities.

You can go to this website to see what is going on

Virtually ever institution of higher learning has embraced Neo-Marxist CRT/DEI ideology. They are spending hundreds of millions of dollars on an army of DEI officers and officials (who act like commissars), new buildings, and "Bias-incident Response Teams" who patrol campus looking for micro-aggressions, and who use cellphones to video students. The unlucky student who gets flagged for unacceptable behavior or thought-crime gets dragged in front of the Diversity panel, and in some cases, the local police.

Some schools merely have a DEI department or office that is involved in recruitment of minorities, but many go way beyond this. The school I went to requires this:

"Antiracism" has to be injected into every area of the curriculum, including math class. Students are forced to attend diversity training and to read Ibram X Kendi.

At schools like Lake Forest College in IL, students had to record videos of themselves proclaiming their agreement with X Kendi and Robin DeAngelo's theories and statements, and apologizing for their whiteness and the oppression they have been engaged in

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) had done surveys that show nationwide, more than 50% of university students believe violence and intimidation in order to shut down views they disagree with is justified.

And Christian schools are not immune from this stuff. When I was showing my kid a Christian school in Iowa, there were rainbow flags and BLM banners in the student union. An Internet portal had been set up that the students could use to anonymously rat each other out for "micro-aggressions"

The far left has completely taken over education. This isn't simply a case of liberal professors and administrations (which has been the case forever), it is full-blown radical leftism which labels whites as oppressors, slavers, and rapists. They are teaching the ideas of a guy (X Kendi) who calls for active discrimination against whites, and the collective punishment of the race.

All of this is Anti-Christian and Anti-American

Upvote 0

Wings like Eagles

Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2013
Arizona
✟215,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Somthing like this:
1694047314594.png

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
The far-left radicals have pushed the Democratic Party further left, and people are getting fed up

Why do you think this is restricted to Democrats?

You may not be old enough to remember Pat Buchanan, but I do. He used to be on the fringe of the Republican party, campaigned for president twice in the 1990's, and both times was soundly defeated in the primaries. Even my dad, a lifelong Republican, used to detest him. Now his style of political conservativism is mainstream in that party.

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think this is restricted to Democrats?

You may not be old enough to remember Pat Buchanan, but I do. He used to be on the fringe of the Republican party, campaigned for president twice in the 1990's, and both times was soundly defeated in the primaries. Even my dad, a lifelong Republican, used to detest him. Now his style of political conservativism is mainstream in that party.
I partly agree, but

Buchanan was a paleo-conservative who was largely isolationist, and he followed the "American School" of economics: protectionism, fiscal conservativism, re-industrializing the country, lessening foreign-dependence, etc.

Most Republicans are solidly in the neocon camp, and are globalists, interventionists, etc. Aside from Trump (who is somewhere in-between), Rand Paul, and maybe Vivek and DeSantis, Republicans still want to police the world, hand out billions to Israel and Ukraine, and follow a Cold War policy.

Some Republicans have moved right on things like abortion (with the 6 week ban for instance), but that isn't necessarily a change in policy. The part has been consistently pro-life

I don't think the GOP has moved that much to the right at all. The Democrats have moved to the far-left both economically and socially. They full embrace hardcore identity politics and tribalism, denounce the nation as irredeemably racist and oppressive, and promote neo-Marxist nonsense.

My wife is a lifelong Democrat who never once voted for a Republican. Even she is completely fed-up with the Democrats, especially when it comes to things like transgenderism, allowing men in women's spaces, defunding police departments, etc. She hates Trump, but can't stand the Dems at this point either. She will probably just stay home on election day (depending who the GOP nominee is)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Most Republicans are solidly in the neocon camp, and are globalists, interventionists, etc. Aside from Trump (who is somewhere in-between), Rand Paul, and maybe Vivek and DeSantis, Republicans still want to police the world, hand out billions to Israel and Ukraine, and follow a Cold War policy.
That’s not as universally true as it used to be. That may describe the old guard, but the maga wing is a lot more isolationist and protectionist.

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s not as universally true as it used to be. That may describe the old guard, but the maga wing is a lot more isolationist and protectionist.
Trump talks a good game when it comes to non-interventionist policy, and protectionism, but what he actually implemented was very moderate.

He threw some tariffs at China, which a lot of people actually supported, and Biden has kept in place.

He drew up a plan to pull out of Afghanistan, and to reach a peaceful agreement with North Korea --and was correct in both those endeavors

but the GOP is still very globalist, and most GOP office-holders believe in unfettered world-trade, etc.

We will see what happens to the "MAGA wing" of the party in the next election

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump talks a good game when it comes to non-interventionist policy, and protectionism, but what he actually implemented was very moderate.
That’s because Trump doesn’t have the desire or the attention span to be a real politician. His term was basically a narcissistic vanity project. There are others, though, who are aligned with his messaging and who actually want to do the work of politics.

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s because Trump doesn’t have the desire or the attention span to be a real politician. His term was basically a narcissistic vanity project. There are others, though, who are aligned with his messaging and who actually want to do the work of politics.
Probably

but virtually all politicians are narcissistic and self-absorbed. Do you think Biden is any different

I am not a fan of Trump, but he was like the writer who tells you how it is, whether you like it or not. There is no pretense, and no sentimentality

We can ether be a nation ruled by virtuous and honorable men, or corrupt, cynical old fools

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Probably

but virtually all politicians are narcissistic and self-absorbed. Do you think Biden is any different

Yes, I do think Biden is different than Trump - or rather, Trump is different than Biden and most other politicians. You have to be some amount of narcissistic to think you’re qualified to occupy a seat with that much power and do a good job of it. It’s an extra level of special to be as unqualified and as uninterested in governing as Trump and still think you’re qualified.
I am not a fan of Trump, but he was like the writer who tells you how it is, whether you like it or not. There is no pretense, and no sentimentality

oh lol, okay. I didn’t realize I was having one of those conversations. No, he didn’t “tell you how it is.” He cons people in a way that sounds genuine to folks who can’t see through his nonsense.

Upvote 0