Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
To me one aspect of the Trinity is that God is inherently oriented towards incarnation. I don’t think the incarnation is a historical accident that might or might not have happened. That implies a creation I think.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟474,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
To me one aspect of the Trinity is that God is inherently oriented towards incarnation. I don’t think the incarnation is a historical accident that might or might not have happened. That implies a creation I think.

Yes I rather like that.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

That reminds me of certain discussions I've heard of wherein some have argued that it is, in a sense, impossible to truly speak of the Logos Asarkos, and that to speak of the Logos means to speak of the Logos Ensarkos; not because Christ began to exist at the moment of Incarnation; but because the Incarnation while to us is history, something that happens within time; God's unique transcendence with time means that the Incarnation is not accidental or incidental, but speaks to God's own understanding of Himself. That is, while from our perspective we might be able to say the Logos became flesh at this moment of time and history--His conception in the womb of Mary--but God being God is outside of time transcending it entirely. Thus can there, in a real sense actually be a Logos Asarkos (in contrast to the Logos Ensarkos); but rather Incarnation has always been (at least in some sense) really real in the Logos' Self-Identity as the Second Divine Person.

I'm not trying to provide my own opinion on that subject so much as trying to explain the ideas as I've encountered them--which I do find, if nothing else, interesting (though possibly total and confusing speculation) to think about.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0