Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
This needs to be addressed. Our visitors are being punished for offences they aren't even aware they are committing:

http://foru.ms/t6382353-daniel-and-revelation-prophecy-study.html&page=2

http://foru.ms/showpost.php?p=40812501&postcount=14

Good grief, if someone is doing something that is breaking one of the rules, please let them know instead of REPORTING them! :doh:

What's wrong with you people?!

It is not good protocol and it certainly won't win over any visitors we have.

In this case it drove one away! :(

I can't even make sense of this maze and mish-mash of rules, let alone an outsider who comes across our Bible study section and offers input!

annie1speed

Mar 16, 2007
Alabama
✟16,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What reasonable person would report this person? I guess the key word here is reasonable........

Ah well, surely the moderators will be reasonable on this. If that is a class, students should be able to respond with comments and questions. Doc or whoever the teacher is should be given enough latitude to manage their virtual classroom as they see fit.

Adult students should not be treated as though they are mindless idiots. It is insulting to treat people like they have nothing to contribute just because they aren't experts in the field.

Upvote 0

sentipente

Senior Contributor
Jul 17, 2007
Silver Sprint, MD
✟46,642.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
It is insulting to treat people like they have nothing to contribute just because they aren't experts in the field.
It is also an insult to assume that the individuals who are "teaching" these courses are experts in the true sense of the word. A true expert is able to deal with questions of all types that cannot necessarily be answered from the accepted text.

PS. I decided to "report" this OP to bring this issue to the attention of the relevant Mods.

Upvote 0

IXOYE5

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2006
In God's Hands
Visit site
✟50,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is also an insult to assume that the individuals who are "teaching" these courses are experts in the true sense of the word. A true expert is able to deal with questions of all types that cannot necessarily be answered from the accepted text.

PS. I decided to "report" this OP to bring this issue to the attention of the relevant Mods.

Thank you for bringing this in the open,

:hug: this will not be a problem, I will leave in Peace and take that with me, that which I have brought!

May the Lord of Lord, Our Lord Jesus Christ bless those who Love and Seek Him in Spirit and Truth.

Farewell my friend!

Now to the Lord Jesus Christ be all Glory and Praise both now and forever, Amen!

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for bringing this in the open,

:hug: this will not be a problem, I will leave in Peace and take that with me, that which I have brought!

May the Lord of Lord, Our Lord Jesus Christ bless those who Love and Seek Him in Spirit and Truth.

Farewell my friend!

Now to the Lord Jesus Christ be all Glory and Praise both now and forever, Amen!

You don't have to leave. You're welcome to discuss things in the Discussion and Debate sub-forum or the Progressive SDA sub-forum.

Upvote 0

DarylFawcett

Ticket Support Manager
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2005
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟981,204.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I also agree with what Sophia7 posted here in that the Discussion and Debate Sub-forum is the place where more things are permitted by the FSGs (Forum Specific Guidelines) in relation to what is permitted in the Main SDA Forum and some of the other sub-forums here.

Upvote 0

IntoTheCrimsonSky

~ ¤ Love. It's in you. ¤ ~
Mar 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
As said, we are aware of the situation of someone who is new here and may not know the guidelines for posting.

In the PM I sent to this member, I explained that it wasn't anything against them and that they are more than welcome here..as well as pointed out the guidelines. :)

Granted, maybe the reporting didn't need to happen in the first place and a simple mod hat could have sufficed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RC_NewProtestants

Senior Veteran
May 2, 2006
Washington State
Visit site
✟18,250.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unfortunately the sanctity of TSDA's preaching to TSDA's is the entire reason for the so called New Adventist/Bible Study

And as often happens with such self centered enterprises others are hurt, embarrassed or simply made to feel stupid.

Upvote 0

IntoTheCrimsonSky

Mar 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately the sanctity of TSDA's preaching to TSDA's is the entire reason for the so called New Adventist/Bible Study

And as often happens with such self centered enterprises others are hurt, embarrassed or simply made to feel stupid.
That wasn't exactly the reason for that area. :) I'm not TSDA, and it was my idea.

The reason was to try and create an environment for newbies to go that focussed more on the basics, rather than being overwhelmed by a bunch of the more harder stuff. Then the study part got added in, too, which complicated stuff I guess.

So no, it wasn't about TSDA's preaching to TSDA's. ;) It was, at the time, trying to create a place like what I looked for when I came here first.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That wasn't exactly the reason for that area. :) I'm not TSDA, and it was my idea.

The reason was to try and create an environment for newbies to go that focussed more on the basics, rather than being overwhelmed by a bunch of the more harder stuff. Then the study part got added in, too, which complicated stuff I guess.

So no, it wasn't about TSDA's preaching to TSDA's. ;) It was, at the time, trying to create a place like what I looked for when I came here first.
I remember. That may have been the intention (and it was a good one:) ), but the result is TSDA's preaching to TSDA's. Unfortunately it is not a place for true honest open study of Scripture. Everything is scripted with pre-determined conclusions already firmly in place.

But I appreciate your efforts and intentions.

Upvote 0

IntoTheCrimsonSky

Mar 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I remember. That may have been the intention (and it was a good one:) ), but the result is TSDA's preaching to TSDA's. Unfortunately it is not a place for true honest open study of Scripture. Everything is scripted with pre-determined conclusions already firmly in place.

But I appreciate your efforts and intentions.
Thank you. :)

I know it came out more strict than I'd ever imagened, sadly. Not that I'm not saying I wasn't part of the rule making process, I was a big part. But I think sometimes people make things too complicated when they get the chance, you know?

Oh well. It still does help some people, and hopefully overtime any kinks can be worked out a bit. :)

Now if everyone could stop fighting eachother, that would help. ;)

Happy Sabbath, btw.

Sarah

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you. :)

I know it came out more strict than I'd ever imagened, sadly. Not that I'm not saying I wasn't part of the rule making process, I was a big part. But I think sometimes people make things too complicated when they get the chance, you know?

Oh well. It still does help some people, and hopefully overtime any kinks can be worked out a bit. :)

Now if everyone could stop fighting eachother, that would help. ;)

Happy Sabbath, btw.

Sarah
Yes, it's the natural result of legalism. Complicated and legalism are mutually complimentary words.;)

Shabat Shalom to you as well.

Resting in Christ alone...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IntoTheCrimsonSky

Mar 10, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
✟11,569.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Yes, it's the natural result of legalism. Complicated and legalism are mutually complimentary words.;)

Shabat Shalom to you as well.

Resting in Christ alone...
Very true.

When legalism comes to play, I think it's normally well intentioned. In my case, it seemed rather simple for how the rules would be set out..because I understood them. However, the problem is when those rules have to apply to those who are not living within mine (or another's) head that creates legalism. ;) When one can follow something they are convicted about and is natural to them, it is grace..but when it becomes a standard by which we expect others to follow that is not natural to them, it becomes comlpicated and legalistic.

That's what happened with the whole rule making process of this forum. You had a bunch of people trying to impose their convictions onto others, and not understanding why it wasn't natural to them.

Upvote 0

freeindeed2

In Christ We Are FREE!
Feb 1, 2007
A mile high.
✟79,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People conveniently forget that the natural response to any code of law is to see what you can get away with.
Which is why Paul tells us that it is the law itself that arouses evil desires in us that result in death.

Upvote 0