• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Influence

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Beautyinsteadofashes, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Beautyinsteadofashes

Beautyinsteadofashes Well-Known Member Supporter

+925
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Good evening. So, I grew up not knowing anyone on my father's side of the family, including my father. But after making contact with him, I’ve also found other family members online. My father has three sisters, all married. Under “people you may know” someone came up with the same last name as one of my aunts. I know the guy isn’t my aunt and uncle’s son, so he must be related to my uncle. I know they are family from reviewing their page.
    At any rate, I added the guy and his posts are so awful. Really nasty. Lots of swearing. One was really kinda racist. Lots of sexual, inappropriate stuff. Perhaps I need to be a little more tolerant? As I am an adult and I had some pretty crude humor myself and swore quite a bit just years ago. But I have grown and changed. As I am today, I find some of his stuff gross and even offensive.
    I’ve considered just going ahead and deleting him from my page, as I’m not even sure how we are related just that he’s related to my uncle some kind of way. But then I think, what if he were to see something on my page that might influence him in a positive way? What if, for example, I posted a verse of scripture and he saw it and it touched his heart?
    If I delete him I may never know.
    Is it worth it to leave him on my page in hopes I could make a difference? Or am I making myself at risk of being negatively influenced?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. .Mikha'el.

.Mikha'el. Mod Queue Spam Troll Banner Extraordinaire! Staff Member Supervisor Supporter

+2,379
    Canada
    Messianic
    Single
    I'd just unfollow him so you never have to see what he posts. There's no need to unfriend totally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Kit Sigmon

Kit Sigmon Well-Known Member

+1,271
    Christian
    In Relationship
    Crude comments, nude graphics etc...
    I had to unfollow some family members on Facebook for those same reasons.

4. Oscarr

Oscarr Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,379
    New Zealand
    Pentecostal
    Married
    Go and stand on a chair, and get a friend to pull you down off it. Easy?
    Now go back and stand again on the chair and try to pull your friend up to where you are. Difficult?

It is a settled fact that it is easier for someone to pull you down to their low standards, than for you to pull them up to your higher standards.

I know of a young Christian man who would go into the red light areas of the city to try and win the transvestites and prostitutes to the Lord. He failed, and ended up in their sinful practices, destroying his faith and his testimony. Instead of him being able to raise their up to his Christian standards, they pulled him down to their sinful practices.

If you continue contact with this person, I predict that you will soon become like him yourself more readily than he will change and become like you.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. longwait

longwait Well-Known Member

+449
    Christian
    Married
    Yeah, like they say, if you dance with the devil the devil does not change. He changes you.

6. Beautyinsteadofashes

Beautyinsteadofashes Well-Known Member Supporter

+925
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    After seeing yet another vulgar post, I unfollowed him. So I will no longer see his postings but I presume he can still see mine. I may never positively influence this guy but I won’t continue to be subject to offensive material.