Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
A discussion with Dr. Tim Spector, a British genetic epidemiologist at King's College, and Dr. Will Will Bulsiewicz, a gastroenterologist, about how the gut microbiome influences inflammation in the body.

I had fairly severe IBS years ago, I couldn't tolerate fiber but was still having less than optimal results despite a low FODMAP diet, and I followed similar advice from Dr. Angie Sadeghi (also a gastroenterologist) leading to complete remission of symptoms after a few months. Particularly eating alot of fermented foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, kombucha, and kefir, as well as eating alot more fruit in my diet, then gradually reintroducing offending foods.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Slow bowel movement will also (naturally) ferment the food you eat in your large intestines and stay longer in the fermented state allowing you to extract more nutrients or even additional calories from food through bacteria action.

It's probably one of the reasons why undercutting calories to lose weight would eventually plateau. One way is the body becomes more efficient in using energy and on the other hand, it's extracting more calories from the same quantity of food you're eating from slowed bowel movement. An enemy in times of plenty but in times of famine, it will save your life!

Exercising will further enhance the effect and slow bowel movement even more. Sugar has influence on speed of bowel movement in my experience. Eating lots of sugar seems to speed up bowel movement which is bad. Slower is better.

• Informative
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Slow bowel movement will also (naturally) ferment the food you eat in your large intestines and stay longer in the fermented state allowing you to extract more nutrients or even additional calories from food through bacteria action.

Alot of people in western countries don't even have much in the way of healthy microbes in their bowels, that's why some have benefited a great deal from fermented foods in clinical trials. Also, if you have ever done a course of antibiotics, that does a great deal of damage and a person could benefit from fermented foods until the gut microbiome is healthy again.

Foods made from refined grains do nothing to feed these friendly microbes, but that's most of what people eat now days in developed countries. The best fibers are found in whole, unrefined grains (particularly oats and barley) as well as vegetables and fruits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,054.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Alot of people in western countries don't even have much in the way of healthy microbes in their bowels, that's why some have benefited a great deal from fermented foods in clinical trials. Also, if you have ever done a course of antibiotics, that does a great deal of damage and a person could benefit from fermented foods until the gut microbiome is healthy again.

Foods made from refined grains do nothing to feed these friendly microbes, but that's most of what people eat now days in developed countries. The best fibers are found in whole, unrefined grains (particularly oats and barley) as well as vegetables and fruits.

You're right. Too much sweets and pharmaceuticals (any kind) can potentially negative affect gut bacteria.

I've had many big wounds in the past from injuries. Many got infected but I've avoided antibiotics. One of them had advanced to an early stage of sepsis and started to get delirious and high fever but thankfully, it eventually healed without medical intervention.

Ironically, having good metabolism from good diet and sufficient exercise will make you quite resistant from infections by making your body environment inhospitable to harmful pathogens making it easier for the immune system to get rid of them. It makes you much less reliant on antibiotics and such. Doctors themselves recognize many cases of intervention don't require antibiotics but they do it anyway as part of protocols.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship

There's lot to choose from and it depends on the dish you have in mind. Barley is heartier than oats. I have both in grains and flaked. I've made baked oatmeal and granola with barley flakes. It has more chew. I have the same pair in spelt. In case you're wondering, you'd need a flaker to produce them and they're as much as the grain mills. Some conveniences are best. ;-)

Most recently I ground buckwheat and made baked banana pancakes. It's more involved and sifting is a must. I pulsed them in my Vitamix after they were ground. Mine are unhulled. The flour looks off white but there will be small flecks. Not too many. But just enough to produce the rich color you'd expect.

Once you get into unrefined grains it's best to get them from an independent source. The majority are sold as flour at mainstream grocers. You'd have to store it in the freezer to minimize weevils. But if you get the whole grain and process the bag the same (1 week is what I do). It kills the eggs and you won't have a problem. I keep mine in 5 gallon buckets in a cool place.

The easiest way to start with ferments is kombucha. It's pretty foolproof and the startup costs are low. Sourdough isn't hard but it does require planning and a comparable diet. If you don't eat a lot of bread or baked goods you won't use it as frequently.

Pickled items are easy to make as are krauts. Cabbage is on sale for St. Patrick's Day. You could grab enough to put up several jars at little expense. The 1/2 gallon ones by Ball are best. You could do kimchi, immunity slaw and other varieties. I made zucchini kimchi last summer and we're on our last batch. Between that and related foods we've kept sickness at bay.

Apples for homemade vinegar or the scraps (cores and skin). I use it with turmeric, black pepper and orange juice for homemade ginger shots.

Beet powder is another one you can sneak into a lot. A teaspoon will do and you won't taste the difference. It's a great addition to smoothies. I'm thinking of trying it with 2nd ferments for kombucha.

Once summer arrives you'll have more options. There's peppers galore for spice lovers. Libraries usually have several titles you can borrow for ideas. And don't forget Kindle. They have daily deals and cookbooks are always on sale. The Nourishing Traditions book is a great starting point. She covers a lot.

Keep up the good work! It's a positive example for others. :)

~bella

Upvote 0