Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Can One disagree with God and still be a follower of God.. I believe people must believe God and because we are all lacking in wisdom we need to trust God in the things we do not understand.. Without faith it is impossible to please God..
Rules in church schools can be based on the Bible, but still open to disagreement. In my school, tapered hair in the back was mandated, block cuts were baned. Skirts for girls had to be below the knee. While these were fine and well intended, Christians are free to disagree with them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Rules in church schools can be based on the Bible, but still open to disagreement. In my school, tapered hair in the back was mandated, block cuts were baned. Skirts for girls had to be below the knee. While these were fine and well intended, Christians are free to disagree with them.

Well i am confining my focus on the teachings of Jesus in the Bible.. I am not including rules that come from other sources..

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Just a side note question here, but are Independent and/or Fundamental Baptists considered Charismatic or Pentecostal in their theology?
Not that I've found. There are Pentecostals who are more fundamentalist, or so they seem.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Not that I've found. There are Pentecostals who are more fundamentalist, or so they seem.
Thanks. I wasn't sure because, from what I gather, most Fundamental/Independent Baptists practice some form of "holiness standards," and the spiritual gifts are often a given with those groups. I guess not in all cases.

And speaking of Fundamental Pentecostals, I don't know of any that consider themselves as such. I'm guessing you're referring to their holiness attire, which is now most commonly found in Oneness churches. Most Trinitarian Pentecostals today don't adhere to the holiness standards anymore, but some still do.

• Informative
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. I wasn't sure because, from what I gather, most Fundamental/Independent Baptists practice some form of "holiness standards," and the spiritual gifts are often a given with those groups. I guess not in all cases.

And speaking of Fundamental Pentecostals, I don't know of any that consider themselves as such. I'm guessing you're referring to their holiness attire, which is now most commonly found in Oneness churches. Most Trinitarian Pentecostals today don't adhere to the holiness standards anymore, but some still do.
The Fundamental/Independent Baptists that I know of believe in standards, covering things like no pants on women, short hair on men, no rock music, no alcohol, and no movies. While people say "Amen" in the services, the churches don't have a charismatic style of worship.

That's interesting about Pentecostals. Not being too familiar with them, I had assumed they were similar to Independent Baptists in terms of standards.

Upvote 0

Spirit of Pentecost

Acts 2:38 Salvation
May 6, 2016
Georgia
✟39,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The Fundamental/Independent Baptists that I know of believe in standards, covering things like no pants on women, short hair on men, no rock music, no alcohol, and no movies. While people say "Amen" in the services, the churches don't have a charismatic style of worship.

That's interesting about Pentecostals. Not being too familiar with them, I had assumed they were similar to Independent Baptists in terms of standards.
Nowadays, the majority of Pentecostals that adhere to strict holiness standards (by strict I don't mean they're forced on believers, but perhaps preferred) are found in Oneness churches, particularly the UPC or other Oneness/Apostolic churches, whether or not they're affiliated with a specific organization. There are some Trinitarian Pentecostals that still have strong holiness standards, but most of them now can't be picked out of group of any other Christians. Likewise, in more recent years, some Oneness churches have gradually became more lenient with their standards and expectations.

Forty years or so back, you couldn't tell difference between Oneness or Trinitarian Pentecostals if you went only by their appearance. (Their beliefs would verify which realm the fell in.) And if you went back even further than that, maybe a hundred years ago (or further) all Christians (regardless of church affiliation) looked virtually the same.

• Informative
Reactions: HereIStand
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Nowadays, the majority of Pentecostals that adhere to strict holiness standards (by strict I don't mean they're forced on believers, but perhaps preferred) are found in Oneness churches, particularly the UPC or other Oneness/Apostolic churches, whether or not they're affiliated with a specific organization. There are some Trinitarian Pentecostals that still have strong holiness standards, but most of them now can't be picked out of group of any other Christians. Likewise, in more recent years, some Oneness churches have gradually became more lenient with their standards and expectations.

Forty years or so back, you couldn't tell difference between Oneness or Trinitarian Pentecostals if you went only by their appearance. (Their beliefs would verify which realm the fell in.) And if you went back even further than that, maybe a hundred years ago (or further) all Christians (regardless of church affiliation) looked virtually the same.
I don't really mind the dress standards. They can be good for school-age children. The problem with these and other standards among Independent Baptists is that they are enforced on the rank and file, while the leadership becomes engrossed in immorality. This isn't true of all ministries by any means, but it has been a problem.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

This Thread Has Been Cleaned

231059_eafd6fa98b39fda582a4b0dc7e3f6882.jpg

This thread has problems that were removed

A Clean has been done for Off Topic Discussion. If you edit your posts, please change to "." and not random characters.

The full list of site rules can be found here.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

bscott915

Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
✟7,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Are there are independent/fundamental baptists here? I'm swaying more towards these congregations but was hoping to speak with some people who aren't actively trying to get me to join their church. Haha. I know people mean well when they see a new face at worship but sometimes it's overwhelming! Thank you :)
I am a member of an independent/fundamental baptist church. I have been in the denomination since my youth.

Reactions: JES1023
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am a member of an independent/fundamental baptist church. I have been in the denomination since my youth.
Welcome to CF, @bscott915.
I was raised in independent/fundamental baptist churches and a school. I still agree with their stances on hell and a literal reading of the days in Genesis. These stances are, sadly, too uncommon elsewhere in Christianity.

Upvote 0

bscott915

Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
✟7,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to CF, @bscott915.
I was raised in independent/fundamental baptist churches and a school. I still agree with their stances on hell and a literal reading of the days in Genesis. These stances are, sadly, too uncommon elsewhere in Christianity.
Thank you for the welcome! I also agree with most of their stances. Yes, uncommon in many popular denominations these days.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My family has been attending a small independent Baptist church last 2 years...they stick to the bible..most of the churches I attended before where southern Baptist...I would recommend a small one...we seem like a family...

Upvote 0