Massachusetts
✟47,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Are there are independent/fundamental baptists here? I'm swaying more towards these congregations but was hoping to speak with some people who aren't actively trying to get me to join their church. Haha. I know people mean well when they see a new face at worship but sometimes it's overwhelming! Thank you :)

• Friendly
Reactions: HereIStand

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Every Fundamentalist Baptist Church I ever went to, I never went back. I almost walked out every time. There are two of them nearby and when I went there they had NOTHING good to say about other Churches. They are the most judgmental people and quite the turn off to many Christians. I don't even like bringing up the evils of their past, but I will if you want!
I was raised in a fundamentalist church, I heartily endorse what you wrote

Reactions: Hal A Peno
Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I too was raised in an independent fundamental Baptist church (and school). On the plus side, they hold to a literal understanding of Genesis and of hell and the entirety of its punishments. On the downside, the strong focus on minor issues, such as no pants on women and short hair on men, can detract from the positives, and breed a strain the gnat while swallowing a camel perspective. While there are many good Christians among the rank and file in these churches, there has been much corruption in leadership, at least in some of the more prominent churches. If the church isn't a follower of one of these larger churches, then it might be a good fit for you. God bless.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Some Fundamentalist Baptist Churches have changed their tune a bit. Around here, they've gotten away from calling themselves "fundamentalist" because of the bad reputation they've acquired.

I decided to visit another one three towns over one Sunday. I drove up and everyone was going in with three piece suits and the women with long gowns. There I was, long hair and in jeans. I never got out of the car...see you later!
I have heard about the name changes. Seem to recall that one reason for it is so that the churches can distance themselves from fundamentalism applied to Islam.

The suits and dresses are probably still in fashion at these churches. They probably would be friendly to you, but then buy you clothes and a haircut. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There are two of them nearby and when I went there they had NOTHING good to say about other Churches. They are the most judgmental people and quite the turn off to many Christians.

Did they invade other people's forums and badmouth their churches? You can go be yourself over there:

Non-denominational

In the meantime, if you really need to jerk people around publicly, there are always the general forums.

Reactions: JES1023
Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am not a fundamentalist Baptist but woman should wear female cloths and men should not grow their hair long.. These are minor points and i would never shun someone because of these things.. But still the Word of God is true and good guidance so men should have short hair and woman should not wear men's clothing.. I know in this modern culture that is not a popular stance but in the end Gods will is what matters not what's the fashion in current human societies..

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Christianity is full of jerks, which is why I distance myself from them. The conversion rates of Christianity stink. Too many people like you in it.

I wish you would. You are supposed to distance yourself from the Baptist section of the forum if you're not a Baptist. That's what it's here for. The Baptist section isn't here so that all of the creepy anti-Baptist bigots can come here and lambast us.

Upvote 0

stuart lawrence

Oct 21, 2015
✟70,925.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The thing is, I'm 23.3 percent Baptist, (not fundamental more like American Baptist) 16.1 percent Catholic, 21.4 percent Pentecostal, 4.3 percent JW, 1.8 percent Mormon, .7 percent SDA, and the rest is me....my own dctrine. I'm a mongrel. Everybody has things right, everybody has things wrong. However. When we as a people condemn and judge others and appear to have no compassion for life, even to the point of saying people deserve to die because they sin, it reflects on all of us and does more harm than good.
Based on the views you have given, I don't understand how you can, in any part be SDA

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I am not a fundamentalist Baptist but woman should wear female cloths and men should not grow their hair long.. These are minor points and i would never shun someone because of these things.. But still the Word of God is true and good guidance so men should have short hair and woman should not wear men's clothing.. I know in this modern culture that is not a popular stance but in the end Gods will is what matters not what's the fashion in current human societies..
I wouldn't not attend a church because of their beliefs on woman's clothing and men's hair length. In the church/school that I was raised in though, minor issues such as these were pushed to the forefront, while the immorality of some of those in leadership was swept under the rug. But leadership failings in some churches aren't an argument against a whole sect.

• Agree
Reactions: bscott915
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wouldn't not attend a church because of their beliefs on woman's clothing and men's hair length. In the church/school that I was raised in though, minor issues such as these were pushed to the forefront, while the immorality of some of those in leadership was swept under the rug. But leadership failings in some churches aren't an argument against a whole sect.

Let me ask you these questions then..

Is it good for a man to have short hair?
Is it a disgrace for him to have long hair?
Is it good for a woman to wear mens clothing?
is it good for a woman to have long hair?

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Let me ask you these questions then..

Is it good for a man to have short hair?
Is it a disgrace for him to have long hair?
Is it good for a woman to wear mens clothing?
is it good for a woman to have long hair?

If a man is growing long hair in some attempt to feminize himself, then that would be counter to Christianity. The school that I was raised in actually cut my hair once, because it violated the one-finger-width above the eyebrow rule, which is an arbitrary standard, not a masculine/feminine issue.

As far as women wearing men's clothing or having short hair, it would be wrong if a woman is doing either to masculinize herself. Also, shorter hair for certain women (especially as they get older) might be more practical and easier to maintain.

• Agree
Reactions: bscott915
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Independent Fundamental Missionary Baptist Church is the church of my youth.
I have nothing negative to say about my experience there as it was all a progression leading toward where I am today.
Godspeed.

Your thread title caught my eye, it made me reminisce for a moment.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm not going to say my hair was long,...long. Long enough to be a nuisance. Maybe 3".

I remember hearing a true story about a young hippie looking man who walked into a church while the service was going on and went right up to the front and sat on the floor in front of the first pew. People didn't know what to do. An old man walked right up and sat on the floor beside him and shook his hand and the service continued.

Sisters and Brothers, that's the way it's suppose to be.
View media item 53508
This is me. I believe my hair is a bit longer than yours. I entered a Baptist church not knowing how I would be treated, and I've never regretted it. They've been nothing but friendly to me, though I'm sure they disagree with the hair. You can understand how I might defend them against some random stranger who comes into this section and spews venom against a denomination that has been nicer to me than any people group I've ever encountered.

• Winner
Reactions: JES1023
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If a man is growing long hair in some attempt to feminize himself, then that would be counter to Christianity. The school that I was raised in actually cut my hair once, because it violated the one-finger-width above the eyebrow rule, which is an arbitrary standard, not a masculine/feminine issue.

As far as women wearing men's clothing or having short hair, it would be wrong if a woman is doing either to masculinize herself. Also, shorter hair for certain women (especially as they get older) might be more practical and easier to maintain.

So you use personal reasoning to come to a conclusion on the matter..

Why do you not use the Bible as your guide ?

Upvote 0

AnneY

Aug 19, 2015
Midwest
✟123,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Well hey there sister. :) thanks for responding! Have you been a member your whole life or did you come to it later on?
I was born into it, but around high school and college I began seriously considering/separating what I believed from what I had been taught all my life. My personal beliefs concerning doctrines now line up very closely with independent fundamental baptist, so that is what I identify myself as. There are differences, but they are concerning minor issues, not doctrine.

Upvote 0

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
So you use personal reasoning to come to a conclusion on the matter..

Why do you not use the Bible as your guide ?
These are secondary issues where Christians can disagree.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
These are secondary issues where Christians can disagree.

Can One disagree with God and still be a follower of God.. I believe people must believe God and because we are all lacking in wisdom we need to trust God in the things we do not understand.. Without faith it is impossible to please God..

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
One can disagree with God and still follow Him. It just depends on what you disagree with Him on.

Do you have an example of something you disagree with in the expressed will of God?

As for me if i disagree with someone i am not a follower of that someone... I am standing on my own position and only agreeing with that someone only when they happen to agree with my standards... When i do that then i am my own god who is judgeing God to be wrong..

Upvote 0