in what matter you shouldn't listen to the church?

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I mean specifically the church leaders. Church is a place we fellowship, but I would like to remain silent or remain skeptical on investing advice and career advice. These people gave lousy advice.
There is nothing infallible about them when they give investing advice or career advise or advise on the weather or what to plant in your garden or what color of clothes to wear. Things that do not touch faith and morals they have no claims to infallibility. None whatsoever. They are well and way beyond their bounds. Nobody would accept that even the pope had any business advising such things.

If they so easily go beyond their purview perhaps they shouldn't be trusted in other things either.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean specifically the church leaders. Church is a place we fellowship, but I would like to remain silent or remain skeptical on investing advice and career advice. These people gave lousy advice.
Our family and friends are a good source for personal advice. That being said, His Holy Spirit is the ultimate source for truth and guidance. Leaders who shepherd a flock should be directing you towards Him to get it.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,000.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't ask a church leader for career advice, unless it concerned going into ordained ministry - or possibly Bible college.
I might approach a church leader and say there was something I needed to talk through and pray about. A good leader, or anyone else, would listen and not tell me what to do.

The only exception to that might be if I had a church leader who was also a long standing friend, knew me well and could be trusted to advise according to my gifts etc.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do they expect you to accept their advice on investing and career? Is there a penalty for not accepting the advise?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These people gave lousy advice.
Well, I have no idea what happened in your case; so I am only offering general considerations below, and may be one or more apply to you.

If certain people gave you bad advice, this does not automatically mean someone else would also give lousy advice.

And - - it is possible for someone to give you good advice, but you did it in a way that turned out to be lousy and then blamed them.

And, of course, I can be capable of giving my own self lousy advice, being no better than anyone else.

But yes we can be guided by the Holy Spirit, plus the Holy Spirit is able to guide mature leaders in how to advise younger people. God does honor and use senior people to help the younger. In God's family we do help each other > God has it this way so we can share as His family.

But it is possible to go to the wrong people, if we have not made sure with God about who to go to. And then make sure with God about what we are told by whomever He guides us to >

"Test all things; hold fast what is good." (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pastor's are not experts in finance or investing, so yes, I would take any advice in that arena to be outside their scope of expertise

career advice? I suppose it depends on the pastor or church official --some could give you good practical advice there.

I am more concerned with people in the private sector who are Christian-adjacent, or who say they are using Biblical principles when investing, etc.

Dave Ramsey is a good example.

Dave gives some good advice, such as

1. Staying out of debt, save for a mortgage
2. Paying off lowest balance debts before larger
3. Avoiding whole life insurance

But he gives bad advice on

1. Using a 401k as a primary means of saving for retirement (I can do a whole separate thread on this)
2. Investing primarily in mutual funds with high fees
3. Not using credit cards ever. You need a line of credit for emergencies, and you need to build a credit rating.
4. Using a 15 year mortgage. That isn't always the best idea, because you are locking up too much of your wealth in a home, which is a non-productive, illiquid asset.

just one example I can think of

Upvote 0