In Flint Crisis, Cops Are Going Door-to-Door— Giving Out Water

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
In an effort to save money, a state-named emergency manager switched the water supply for Flint, Mich., from Lake Huron to the polluted Flint River, creating a crisis that's left the city's water supply looking "like urine" and caused the lead levels in area kids to spike, ultimately leading the mayor and governor to declare a state of emergency. Now state police are set to conduct what the Detroit Free Press calls a "door-to-door sweep" of the city's residents, giving out bottled water and water filters as a temporary fix while further measures are taken. Water had previously been available for free at local fire stations, the Free Press notes. If residents aren't around for the drop-offs, scheduled to start Tuesday, they'll be left with a notice explaining where they can obtain free water.

The case has caught the White House's attention, whose chief of staff said on Meet the Press that the Obama administration is watching "very closely." Some residents have already filed a class-action lawsuit, with one plaintiff telling CNN, "You're paying for poison. I'm paying for water that's a toxic waste." And on Twitter, Cher has tweeted the governor is a "murderer," an #ArrestGovSnyder hashtag has cropped up, and filmmaker Michael Moore has been spreading a petition to get just such an initiative going. In perhaps the saddest marker of the crisis, kids up to age 6 will be able to get their blood tested for lead on Tuesday at a Flint elementary school—during "family fun night," MLive.com reports. There will also be water filter giveaways, a balloon artist, and face-painting.

http://www.newser.com/story/218784/in-flint-crisis-cops-are-going-door-to-door-giving-out-water.html

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
It astounds me that these things are permissible in this country. The article says that "further measures" are being looked into. This should have never happened in the first place. These people are suffering from someone's stupid decision, something they should haven't ever been put through.

I live in a place with horrible tap water. By horrible, I mean "the color of coffee half the days of the week". It's been this way since before I was a child. A Facebook page collecting complaints, pictures, and videos of the water quality was "mysteriously" deleted after garnering a large following and gaining the attention of the news. I still can't believe I live in a supposedly first world country when I have to use bottled water, and install expensive water filters on my bathroom sink and shower so I don't break out in rashes and mouth ulcers just by bathing and brushing my teeth.

None of this should ever happen anywhere, yet the more I look around the more I see it cropping up all over the country. Water quality is not a petty matter, it should never be treated as one. The people who OKed this change of water source need to be brought forward and punished, they either ignored tests that the quality of the new source was terrible, or they didn't test at all.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
CMtX-OHWIAIwGZ8.jpg
1391504.png

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It astounds me that these things are permissible in this country. The article says that "further measures" are being looked into. This should have never happened in the first place. These people are suffering from someone's stupid decision, something they should haven't ever been put through.

I live in a place with horrible tap water. By horrible, I mean "the color of coffee half the days of the week". It's been this way since before I was a child. A Facebook page collecting complaints, pictures, and videos of the water quality was "mysteriously" deleted after garnering a large following and gaining the attention of the news. I still can't believe I live in a supposedly first world country when I have to use bottled water, and install expensive water filters on my bathroom sink and shower so I don't break out in rashes and mouth ulcers just by bathing and brushing my teeth.

None of this should ever happen anywhere, yet the more I look around the more I see it cropping up all over the country. Water quality is not a petty matter, it should never be treated as one. The people who OKed this change of water source need to be brought forward and punished, they either ignored tests that the quality of the new source was terrible, or they didn't test at all.
Oh yay, MORE government intervention. Why do you hate America? Let the invisible hand of the market deal with this! If people don't want dirty water, let them pay for clean water (this post was an intentional lampoon)

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh yay, MORE government intervention. Why do you hate America? Let the invisible hand of the market deal with this! If people don't want dirty water, let them pay for clean water (this post was an intentional lampoon)

Nearly two years ago, the state decided to save money by switching Flint's water supply from Lake Huron (which they were paying the city of Detroit for), to the Flint River, a notorious tributary that runs through town known to locals for its filth.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/11/health/toxic-tap-water-flint-michigan/index.html

Yeah, the state can do no wrong. LOL. Hail State!

Upvote 0