Jan 1, 2009
USA, EastCoast
✟7,980.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Do you have in mind to visit your local Bishop for this?"

I asked my priest about writting a letter to the Bishop. He said he didn't think that would change the situation. He said if it were that easy it would solve the huge delema thatmany of the other parishiners have (apparently there are a lot of other Orthodox who married non-baptized person in our parish).
so sad. :cry::prayer:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That is very strange. My wife was Orthodox when we met and married me in a Protestant Church, but was still allowed to take Communion in the Orthodox Church. Obviously, I did eventually come around, but part of that was seeing her involvement in the sacrements. If she had been ex-communicated for marrying me, I may have had a different view on the whole thing - who knows.

Reactions: Xpycoctomos
Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That is very strange. My wife was Orthodox when we met and married me in a Protestant Church, but was still allowed to take Communion in the Orthodox Church. Obviously, I did eventually come around, but part of that was seeing her involvement in the sacrements. If she had been ex-communicated for marrying me, I may have had a different view on the whole thing - who knows.

Her husband is non-believer/not Christian... Protestant would be ok and even if marrying in another church isn't the ideal but I've never heard of anyone having issues. We were married civil and could recieve...

What really upsets me about this situation is that her husband has no issue with her attending church, his fault is that he's not Christian. When I converted my husband had come with me to church a few times, sure he was baptized Catholic but I don't think he had gone to church for going to church's sake ever since then (he was not confirmed) and really couldn't care less (fortunately that changed for him later). Just because my husband was baptized xx years ago it was fine even if he probably didn't believe anything.

Upvote 0

GreekGrl

Peace and love to all
Jan 1, 2009
USA, EastCoast
✟7,980.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Huummm, did your wife have a dispensation to marry you in a protestant church? was it performed with an Orthodox priest?
from my understanding all Orthodox must marry in an Orthodox ceremony. Or you are placed out of communion until a sacramental wedding is performed.
I found this out after I was married. but because my hubby is not a baptised christen I can not rectify the situation with a valid sacramental ceremony.
Also, I wonder , did your wife ever ask her priest if she was permitted communion after a protastant service or did she just assume she could keep going up for communion with out telling anyone?

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kristos was a christian and their marriage was a confirmation that he was...

Also about Khaleas... you converted while you were married that is the difference... And now did you guys had a church ceremony as yet? Greeks do have an orhtodox wedding if they convert either both of them or even if one member converts it really does not matter but the husband (or wife) has to be chrisitian for the ceremony to take place...

In GreekGl case despensation will have to occur for her to take the sacraments since she is a lapsed Orthodox with a husband who is not Christian... what a mess... I would go and ask another priest about this honesty... there has to be a way. Do not cry the Lord will see your faith and will not abandon you I know it :)

Prayers to you where you live you have many priests I would go and ask for spiritual advice on this.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Huummm, did your wife have a dispensation to marry you in a protestant church? was it performed with an Orthodox priest?
from my understanding all Orthodox must marry in an Orthodox ceremony. Or you are placed out of communion until a sacramental wedding is performed.
I found this out after I was married. but because my hubby is not a baptised christen I can not rectify the situation with a valid sacramental ceremony.
Also, I wonder , did your wife ever ask her priest if she was permitted communion after a protastant service or did she just assume she could keep going up for communion with out telling anyone?

No prior dispensation, no Orthodox priest. When we met, she wasn't a "practicing" member of the local parish.

I don't know what she discussed with the priest exactly, but I know she had a discussion with him about the matter when she wanted to baptize our first born.

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
GreekGrl

This is heart breaking . I really do not believe that something cannot be done to bring you back into the Church.

Didn't Christ say something about forgiving ?

I totally agree there. Especially since this is a bishop to bishop thing... some will, some won't.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cassc

Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian
Jan 24, 2007
New England
✟16,923.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ok folks here is an update into my communion situation.....

I spoke with my priest. I asked him if my hubby never decides to convert if there are any other options or alternatives for me...
Sadly there ar no options. I can divorce him and then go to confession and come back in good standing. but the Priest told me he didn't want to tell me that since that really is not a good option.He then told me there are many members of our parish who have this problem. And it is sad but there really is not anything else I can do.
So I guess all I can do is pray to St. Monica (thank you for that suggestion by the way) .:crosseo:

Ohh! :hug: You are in my prayers, stay strong and have faith. We know that God only gives us what we can handle :crosseo:

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
This mystefies me a lot.

So you married outside the Church - that is a mistake (as you well know). Indeed, it removes you from the sacraments.

But your desire to repent is sincere. Obviously, that cannot imply anything which would damage the marriage (as that would be a greater sin). I'm not grasping why confession isn't sufficient to bring one back into the Church.

How is this theologically different from a person who apostatizes (aka Novatian schism) and then returns to the Church? You were, essentially, removed from the Church by the uncannonical marriage (on bad advice no less!); that means, RIGHT NOW, you're a married women who wishes to "convert" (rejoin communion). Doesn't that make this subject to 1 Corinthians, wherein married people were encouraged to convert but stay with their spouses?

I'm not familiar with cannon law on this, but especially considering the bad advice you got and your sincerity, it would seem to be a time for economia. Ask your priest if there is ANY way aside from your husband converting for you to enter communion; if not, ask him if it'd be ok to write to the bishop for a special exception to the cannon law given the poor advice and your sincerity.

There HAS to be room in Orthodoxy for repentence. I'm extremely confused by this...

In Christ,
Macarius

I'm utterly speechless. So, I'll let Marcarius speak for me too.

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It looks like the OCA is just as strict as GOARCH.
I may have missed something, but it does't seem that that page deals with this situation.

GreekGrl made a mistake, yes. And that mistake excommunicates her. The page talks about that.

But the page you cited doesn't seem to reference her actual situation. She is repentant, recognizes her mistake, but she the only choices she has is 1) divorce her husband (huh? how is that possibly biblical?) or 2) hope and pray that her husband becomes Christian... and i am sure she already is... for his own sake! She has not control over this. I can't imagine that she is any less indifferent to his salvation be she in communion or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macarius

Progressive Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2007
The Ivory Tower
✟52,122.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm going to ask my priest about this - I'm missing some key theological point and my understanding isn't sufficient to grasp this. It seems that is is, indeed, the canonical action of the Church. But as to why... Eh, my brain will demand answers of me if I don't seek them.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,429.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'll leave it to you folk to see what you can find out about this .

There has to be a way round this - I really can't believe that what we are told [ sorry Greekgrl if this casts doubts on you - it's not my intention .] is true repentance for an action cannot be dealt with by the Church.

I'm really shaken by this

Upvote 0

GreekGrl

Peace and love to all
Jan 1, 2009
USA, EastCoast
✟7,980.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yes, well if any of you have an opportunity to speak with your own parish priests, I would love any feedback. If any one can give me a specific Bishop or priest that has granted reconciliation for this act I can tell my priest and he can look into it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.