Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Many Christians think of humility as being a doormat or enduring unjust oppression mindlessly, and I don't think that's right. It's OK not to like being a doormat- just don't let that cause you to do stupid things that makes the problem worse.

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Right now I'm angry at God up there and the belief down here that claims to be his church. I'm just going to say that I'm tired of being told that I'm supposed to think or not think a certain way. I am mad that evil gets a free pass and here we are, we are basically told to be docile and obedient. The doctrine of Christianity seems to be enabling it's own civilization decline. Me and other people feel like we have been "cheated" too, yet we still have to persevere in obedience no matter what.

I am having a hard time speaking about it right now, I'm just mad and want to relieve a bit of this. If this place isn't appropriate for it, remind me of another section or even different site where it's more welcomed.

I also wanted to illustrate something else. If you witnessed a mugger tormenting someone to injury, would you be "humble" and accepting or will you stop him immediately.

The virtue of humility is often abused among Christians to manipulate other people. It's part of the power games of our civilization, interwoven in it. The poor get angry, and first (before they get out the guns), religion says "be more humble and your reward will be in heaven". How convenient for the wealthy and powerful.

It's like the raven in Animal Farm that talks about Sugar Candy Mountain to all the animals and lulls them into complacency.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Right now I'm angry at God up there and the belief down here that claims to be his church. I'm just going to say that I'm tired of being told that I'm supposed to think or not think a certain way. I am mad that evil gets a free pass and here we are, we are basically told to be docile and obedient. The doctrine of Christianity seems to be enabling it's own civilization decline. Me and other people feel like we have been "cheated" too, yet we still have to persevere in obedience no matter what.

I am having a hard time speaking about it right now, I'm just mad and want to relieve a bit of this. If this place isn't appropriate for it, remind me of another section or even different site where it's more welcomed.

I also wanted to illustrate something else. If you witnessed a mugger tormenting someone to injury, would you be "humble" and accepting or will you stop him immediately.
Humility does not equate to being a doormat. Jesus stood up against evil and yet had no need or use for pride.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Who is telling you this? What are you being told to be obedient or docile about?

Humility isn't about being a doormat.

If I saw a mugging I would whip out my mobile phone and call triple zero (which is emergency services here) I am an unwell middle aged woman, I could not physically take on a mugger. If someone has sugested that doing nothing for someone in trouble is being humble then you are being deceived.

Matthew 25:40
40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

John 18

33 Pilate went back into the Praetorium, summoned Jesus, and asked Him, “Are You the King of the Jews?”

34 “Are you saying this on your own,” Jesus asked, “or did others tell you about Me?”

35 “Am I a Jew?” Pilate replied. “Your own people and chief priests handed You over to me. What have You done?”

36Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world; if it were, My servants would fight to prevent My arrest by the Jews. But now, My kingdom is not of this realm.”

37“Then You are a king!” Pilate said.

“You say that I am a king,” Jesus answered. “For this reason I was born and have come into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to My voice.”

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Given that you may not have the ability to oppose him, humility will connect better than your fist will. It's easier to talk down a mugger than to subdue them.

I think even victims stand a better chance with compassion.
But I'm not sure on that.

They say that ripping off an ear usually stops them long enough to get away. Muggers hate when that happens.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Good in a way !

"Be constantly angry with a righteous indignation and do not let the sun go down on your anger" (i.e. learn Yahuweh's righteous judgement against the sin and evil and wickednesses and wrongs , agree with Yahuweh, and do not let 'human' anger nor reactions cause you to sin ; instead do as Yahuweh Directs all the time) ....

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

The example you gave I believe is called "civil courage".

To the other, one way to see it is to see blessings as water, as in rainwater, they both come from above,

rain falls and water runs downwards.

If the ground is not prepared to recieve rain, it will run off and of no use,

if the ground is prepared, it will soak it up.

In the same way, one could say, the heart,

a hard heart is like unprepared ground,

and so and so on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums