I'm newly atheist,but i still find myself talking to god sometimes.

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This makes it sound like you are choosing which fraternity to rush for in the upcoming semester. Religion isn't something you can altogether choose, it's a reflection of what you believe.

There's no way I could, knowing what I know now, ever revert back to Christianity.
Firstly, Christianity is not the only religion.
I really think that it's worth considering for someone who is having trouble letting go of god. Just like I said before, he may eventually find himself able to let go of the idea god is real or eventually find that it wasn't a good fit for him to stop believing in the existence of a god. Either way, it's a suggestion about being comfortable.

Upvote 0

Shabby

Shabby-dabby-doo
Oct 18, 2006
Sacramento, CA
✟18,595.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Firstly, Christianity is not the only religion.

Where in the world did you get the notion that I thought this?

dinonum said:
I really think that it's worth considering for someone who is having trouble letting go of god. Just like I said before, he may eventually find himself able to let go of the idea god is real or eventually find that it wasn't a good fit for him to stop believing in the existence of a god. Either way, it's a suggestion about being comfortable.

The truth value of a belief is not dependent on the level of comfort it gives the believer.

Upvote 0

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where in the world did you get the notion that I thought this?
Don't worry, I know you don't really think this, but I've known quite a few Atheists who ended up deciding to go with something other than Christianity because other religions fit, which was mainly my point. I'm not making a desperate plea for this guy to come back to the Lord or anything, if he ever feels comfortable coming back to Christianity, that is his choice.

The truth value of a belief is not dependent on the level of comfort it gives the believer.
I'm not sure what your point is. I personally don't think it matters that much the truth value of a belief as much as it does that in the end the person is comfortable in what they believe or don't believe. Forcing anyone to be a part of some system of beliefs or lack thereof when they aren't comfortable with it, I think it's silly.

Upvote 0

Shabby

Shabby-dabby-doo
Oct 18, 2006
Sacramento, CA
✟18,595.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Don't worry, I know you don't really think this, but I've known quite a few Atheists who ended up deciding to go with something other than Christianity because other religions fit, which was mainly my point. I'm not making a desperate plea for this guy to come back to the Lord or anything, if he ever feels comfortable coming back to Christianity, that is his choice.

It's not really his choice, though, is what I'm saying. I can't pick what I believe, I simply am directed where the evidence points me.

I couldn't force myself to believe in Thor, no matter how much I may want to. (The Norse gods, in general, I have been trying to make myself believe in for quite some time.)

dinonum said:
I personally don't think it matters that much the truth value of a belief as much as it does that in the end the person is comfortable in what they believe or don't believe.

Wait... seriously? How could anything matter more than the truth value of a belief? If I was comfortable believing black people were inferior, is that more important than the truth that they are indeed the same?

Upvote 0

dinonum

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not really his choice, though, is what I'm saying. I can't pick what I believe, I simply am directed where the evidence points me.

I couldn't force myself to believe in Thor, no matter how much I may want to. (The Norse gods, in general, I have been trying to make myself believe in for quite some time.)
That is okay, and that is actually really what I believe. It isn't his choice, but he may find that maybe he made a choice and it doesn't really fit him and he just needs to go with the flow.

Wait... seriously? How could anything matter more than the truth value of a belief? If I was comfortable believing black people were inferior, is that more important than the truth that they are indeed the same?
If someone feels that their truth is questionable, then they should seek out what is truth. We can't force anyone who is racist to just not be racist, they have to find themselves uncomfortable with what they believe.

Upvote 0

cherrylime

sunny
Dec 11, 2009
✟15,547.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Single
Ask yourself the question: "Do I honestly love God?"

And if your honest and heartfelt answer is yes, "Come back to Christianity." :)

I'm newly atheist,but i still find myself talking to god sometimes. I think its just me talking to my better conscience about my problems and trying to figure them out. What if its not my better conscience. I'm having doubts about the whole atheist thing.
Tell me what you think please.

Upvote 0

k450ofu3k-gh-5ipe

Apr 3, 2008
✟10,458.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm newly atheist,but i still find myself talking to god sometimes. I think its just me talking to my better conscience about my problems and trying to figure them out. What if its not my better conscience. I'm having doubts about the whole atheist thing.
Tell me what you think please.

Maybe referring to yourself as Agnostic would be a bit more appropriate then?

Upvote 0

Aces High

Veteran
Jun 27, 2006
Sydney
✟17,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Have any of you considered the fact that he may find himself talking to God simply because it's a habit?

It's hardly a "continual connection" as someone has put it, it's a habit. It's like biting your nails and trying to stop, you'll still find yourself doing it at times, and it will take a long time to stop.

Reason before jumping to conclusions please.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

matt.white9

Striving to be like Christ.
Mar 4, 2010
United States
✟15,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I was in your exact shoes at one point, I was more along the lines of agnostic though, I didn't believe in God, but I didn't think it was impossible for there to be God. Yes, now I am a Christian, but I just think that you should keep talking to Him. Maybe, just listen to that better conscience that you are talking about and see if that helps. I just tried to live the best I could and I realized one day that the best I could do on my own wasn't enough. I realized that there has to be another option and I know I won't make it through this world on my own. I need help and a Father that is far greater than me to direct my paths.

matt

Upvote 0