greeneyedgirl

Mitakuye Oyasin
Jul 12, 2003
The gulf of Mexico
Visit site
✟291.00
Faith
Other Religion
I'm certainly not qualified to debate the Mormon faith with an ex mormon but I can say the Bible that my Mormon hubby has is a King james bible that looks like mine. We have had many conversations about God, Jesus, and the bible and it appears he has read it and understands it pretty well. But I can ask him to debate these issues with you later if you would like a qualified debate. I can't make any promises, he may say no thanks, but I can ask him.

Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeneyedgirl said:
I'm certainly not qualified to debate the Mormon faith with an ex mormon but I can say the Bible that my Mormon hubby has is a King james bible that looks like mine. We have had many conversations about God, Jesus, and the bible and it appears he has read it and understands it pretty well. But I can ask him to debate these issues with you later if you would like a qualified debate. I can't make any promises, he may say no thanks, but I can ask him.

Happy to discuss the Mormon faith with an active Mormon. Do a little experiment for me: ask him to take your KJV bible to his church on Sunday.

Upvote 0

greeneyedgirl

Mitakuye Oyasin
Jul 12, 2003
The gulf of Mexico
Visit site
✟291.00
Faith
Other Religion
I'm not sure what you mean Calgirl? I have a KJV , NIV, and a Good News bible and he has KJV.
I have spoken with my hubby and he is working some really long hours but he did give me a link to a web page for their belief. It is very similiar to a conservative christian faith other then Joseph Smith.

Here is what they believe:

1- We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2- We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam’s transgression.

3- We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4- We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5- We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6- We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7- We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8- We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9- We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10- We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11- We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12- We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13- We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeneyedgirl said:
er, well um Mormans(The church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints) believe in Jesus and while I am not Mormon my hubby and his family is and I have found them to be very loving. They don't believe like alot of christians but they are christian.

They may be loving. But they are not Chrisitian. What they teach about who God is, who Jesus is, who the Holy Spirit is, and how that is not what Christianity is, is more important than the "loving".

Feelings of love aren't important, the Truth and Love of the True God is. And unfortunatly, the mormons don't know that. You'll be on my prayer list.

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeneyedgirl said:
They are non Trinitarian, polytheistic, magickal thinking folks. Most Pagans I know embrace these things openly. Mormon temple rites are pagan in nature. Just FYI.

They are not non trinitarian and they are also not polytheistic. I have to agree they may be a little magical thinking but to be honest I'm a little uninformed in this area. I sincerely don't know much about their Temple other than calling it" pagen in nature" isn't fair. The same can be said for any church that has spent a few million dollars for their church. While some Mormons are guilty of degrading Christians it is a stereotype statement that is untrue, I mean after all, I am a christian that married into a Mormon family.. But of course I could say some christians degrade Mormans now couldn't I?

Ask them what they think about the Niceane Creed and The Athanasian Creed. Both these creeds help explain the what the Bible tells us about God and His nature. You will find that the mormons abhore these creeds. They deny what those teach totally.

Their god is NOT the true God of Christianity.

Upvote 0

greeneyedgirl

Mitakuye Oyasin
Jul 12, 2003
The gulf of Mexico
Visit site
✟291.00
Faith
Other Religion
Wrigley said:
They may be loving. But they are not Chrisitian. What they teach about who God is, who Jesus is, who the Holy Spirit is, and how that is not what Christianity is, is more important than the "loving".

Feelings of love aren't important, the Truth and Love of the True God is. And unfortunatly, the mormons don't know that. You'll be on my prayer list.

John 15 10-14

If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

ohn 3 16-17
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever beleives in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Would you care to to prove love isn't important.

Upvote 0

ByGrace

Jul 18, 2003
Salt Lake City
✟1,928.00
Faith
Christian
Green eyed girl- While you are right that the KJV is part of the "standard works" of the LDS faith, if you look down at the bottom of the pages of the LDS KJV you will see that joseph smith has added many things that he says was taken out of the Bible along the way. If this is true then Jesus was a liar as he said he would preserve his word and the very gates of hell would never prevail agains it. There is also another bible that the mormons have which is not distributed. You can pick it up at the deseret book stores. it is called the "inspired version." The reason that it is not distributed is because it is rather rediculous. Now, how come the Prophet that was to usher in the final days of earth and prepare it for the return of the Savior and was given inspiration to "correct" the Bible and now his church does not recognize that work? In fact, most of the work of joe smith has been changed along the way either by him or by the other "living prophets" through the ages. The temple ceremony which was declared perfect was changed dramatically twice. The mormon canon has almost 8000 changes between the 1830 editions and now. Is God a changing being? He said he was not. Mormons believe the statement- "as man is, god once was, as god is, man may become"- Does this not sound strange to you? We can become gods???? I beg you to see that this is the most dangerous doctrine imaginable. They teach that God came down in his perfected body and had sexual relations with Mary to produce the Christ child. At the same time they teach that God is the literal father of all humans. Would you want to stand before your creator and explain to Him why you believe Him to be a perverted incestual God? You say that they are not a group of people who believe in more then one God. Do they not believe that Jesus, the Spirit, and God the father are all seperate Gods equal with one another and only one in purpose? Yes, that is what is taught. It is also taught that there are millions of gods that have "progressed to that state" through their own good works on yonder planets in the eons before now. They have been taught that two of those inhabited planets are the moon and the sun. The mormon canon, doctrine and covenants (formerly known as the book of commandments which has thousands of changes) says that no man will see the kingdom of God without accepting polygamy. Does that sound Christian? mormon doctrine says that families sealed together in a temple will be together forever in that family relationship of mother daughter husband father brother etc. How is that possible when the faithful mormon will become a god and go with his many wives to populate many planets in solar systems of their creation. Since they would have a "perfected body" they could not be omnipresent and since they would be billions of light years away from each others worlds, this would make family reunions rather difficult, not to mention all the bedroom time it would take to produce billions of spirit children. I would think you would be much too tired to travel to another galaxy to see the kids. The early mormon church taught and practiced the art of blood atonement. This fact is presented in the book "mormon doctrine' by Bruce R. McConkie giving the addresses by brigham young. He stated that if you love your brethren and he has committed sin that is beyone the reach of Jesus, you must "shed his blood that he may still be exalted". There is many reports of just this happening. Peoples throats being slit to pay for certain sins, like adultery and murder. That is heresy to teach that the blood of Jesus was insufficient and that we can do anything to pay for our own sins and gain Heaven.There are many reasons that you should see that the mormons are not Christian. It is not just a label. It is what Jesus instituted while on the earth. It is the Church that He gave to us and the instructions that were given to anyone that would have eternal life. There are many loving kind people on the earth but that does not a Christian make. Christianity is solely based on the redemptive blood of Jesus and the fact that He alone can save His people. Anything that strays outside of the Biblical pattern given for His church is not Christian but is what was called by Him false. He said that "many" will come to Him at the end stating that they had called His name and prophesied and cast out demons. The fact is that those outside of His will for His church will be told to go away, as He never knew them. I pray that your husband is not one of them. God bless.

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeneyedgirl said:
This is getting ridiculous. I have posted their articles of faith.

Sure you have. But you have to look much more deeper. Seems to me you've only taken a cursory glance. On the surface it sounds good, but the underneath is where all the fun begins.

Perhaps you should take a look at a couple websites to start your education.

http://www.mrm.org/index.html

http://www.umi.org/archive.htm

http://aomin.org/Mormonism.html

http://www.leaderu.com/offices/michaeldavis/docs/mormonism/mormonism.html

http://www.utlm.org/

I don't envy your position. You are married to a man you love, you like his family, but there is a problem. He and his family belong to a cult. I am praying that you look at the information on the sites carefully and honestly. Have the courage to look. Please.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeneyedgirl said:
This is getting ridiculous. I have posted their articles of faith.

The Articles of faith are a convenient screed to pull out, not what the Mormons really believe. You haven't gone through the endowment ceremony or learned about the Council of the Gods. Yes Gods. Your husband and every other "priesthood holder" is a god in training. That is nowhere in scripture. Just a starting point. Mormons are "nice" but lost.

Upvote 0

calgal

Mar 25, 2003
Western MI
Visit site
✟17,475.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeneyedgirl said:
I see, but since we all know Mormons are evil I wonder how God is going to handle that? The bible teaches it is up for God to judge our heart . It must have been a typo.

They are following a false prophet worshipping a false god. The answer is somewhat easier to find in context. Being nice does not save a person, God's Grace does.

Upvote 0

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
calgal said:
They are following a false prophet worshipping a false god. The answer is somewhat easier to find in context. Being nice does not save a person, God's Grace does.

God's Grace is amazing.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeneyedgirl said:
er, well um Mormans(The church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints) believe in Jesus and while I am not Mormon my hubby and his family is and I have found them to be very loving. They don't believe like alot of christians but they are christian.

No , there is a definition for a christian that includes having only one God..monotheism Mormons believe there are many Gods.

The definition of Christian also includes Jesus as God incarnate not a spirit child of a god.

The definition of Christian also include the doctrine of the trinity

The Mormons talk of the godhead not the trinity as they believe that God the father and jesus each have their own bodies, and the holy spirit is a disembodied spirt brother of jesus.

Christians believe that to be absent from the body is to be present to God

The Mormons believe that only those baptized in the Mormon church get to be gods and goddess (to have spirit babies) and be in the presence of God

Mormons are very nice people. They are in culturated to be very legalistic in the way they live their lives. So when the world looks at them they think they must be christians because of how good they are.

But see Christians believe that heaven will not be filled with law keepers , it will be filled with sinners , just like hell. The difference will be they have put on the righteousness of Christ.

Mormons have a salvation of work not grace.So they do not have salvation at all no matter how nice they are.

pray that your husband come to know Christ as His savior and come out of that cult

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
jsfrk2 said:
:(

I am a ExMormon(LDS) now born again Christian. I was saved jan 11,2002 I was raised in the "church" since birth. When I started into a deep research into Mormon doctrine, things got scary, I never knew where some of the beliefs come from. Some are not in the canon, the four books, but even when missionarys present the gospelthey include things(when asked for) like;God being man and once dwelling on a planet like earth and being "Holylike" was able to ascend into the Godly authority which he has now. Jesus is the literal son of God concieved by God the father when he came down to earthand had physical intercourse with mary.... kinda screwy huh?
When I started reading the Bible about two months before i got saved I really was confused because it didn't match up with the Mormon doctrine I was raised with. But I know who is my savior and what is the infallible word of God, and it isn't the BOM or POGP or DOC, all false books added by a false prophet.
Thank you for listening,Your brother in Christ Jesus,jsfrk2

p.s., if you have any questions about Mormon doctrine feel free to e-mail me or post a question :rolleyes: :wave:

Glad to meet you JS.

I have a special affection for Mormons and I have studied their doctrines for 2 years so that I can give them the gospel fully understanding their doctrine .

I see Cal has posted we are buddies

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wrigley

Senior Veteran
Mar 24, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
✟21,012.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeneyedgirl said:
John 15 10-14

If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
"Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

ohn 3 16-17
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever beleives in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Would you care to to prove love isn't important.

As soon as you read the second part of my sentence.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
greeneyedgirl said:

Could I ask your church background? Do you go to the Stake church with your husband? Were you married there?

Sorry I do not mean to be nosey but I always wonder about how a non mormon and a mormon handle the faith aspect of their relationship

Upvote 0

Loxly

Gefilte fish
Apr 4, 2003
In a house
Visit site
✟663.00
Faith
Other Religion
ByGrace said:
if you look down at the bottom of the pages of the LDS KJV you will see that joseph smith has added many things that he says was taken out of the Bible along the way. If this is true then Jesus was a liar as he said he would preserve his word and the very gates of hell would never prevail agains it.

I am not a Mormon nor am I defending their belief system But with the comment about Joseph smith saying things were taken out that is not completely to far off base,

Between 400 AD and 1600AD the bible was not a compiled book of works and between that time many scriptures were debated as possible divine works it wasn't util the 1600 when they actually decided what to omit and what to include
Many translations were "translated" to fit the needs of the church at time and worded as to not spawn unorthodox interpretations. Our bible as it is today has only been around for not more than 400 years and MAN decided what works to place in it and what to take out of it!

Strange many Christians unwittingly give their children a picture of Jesus running around saying thou shalt and thou not and handing out bibles as he walked.

Upvote 0
D

Drotar

calgal said:
The Articles of faith are a convenient screed to pull out, not what the Mormons really believe. You haven't gone through the endowment ceremony or learned about the Council of the Gods. Yes Gods. Your husband and every other "priesthood holder" is a god in training. That is nowhere in scripture. Just a starting point. Mormons are "nice" but lost.

Well, the Articles of Faith is what Mormons really believe,but as you have added, that is not the SUM of their beliefs.

Also, in order to be a priest, you must be ordained with someone with AUTHORITY in the church, meaning only members who have been baptized and had the laying on of the hands by other leaders in the church are official priests, first in the order of Aaron, then in Melchizedek. Only Protestants hold to a priesthood of believers.

You're absolutely, most certainly right that that's nowhere in Scripture. It's not in the BOM either. I really think that the BOM is thoroughly against the D&C and Pearl of Great Price. For a short time, they had a convert out of me, and I took the liberty of reading some of their theologies. TTYL Jesus loves you!

Upvote 0