I'm a hypercrit

J

Jesse2014

OK. If my last post made me look righteous and holy. I'm not. There I was saying I can not participate in a church that promotes homosexuality, and yet I look at and lust at gay activity on youtube. This makes me a hypercrit. Maybe I don't go to church because when I am there, I am awear of my own sin. Being around righteous and holy people makes me realize that I am not righteous or holy. God hates homosexuality. If the Spirit of God lives inside of me, I would hate homosexuality too. I may not be truly saved.

But I am going to pray for his mercy and the ability to turn from my sin.

Didn't Paul tell the believers anyways to stay away from people who call themselves Christians that are held captive by sin? I am a slave to sin. And I apologize to everyone if I made myself seem righteous and holy; and for criticizing the church.

And before anyone criticizes me, I am awear of what the Bible says about sin and the wrath of God coming on the children of disobedience. I have been criticized way too much. And it's not that I am blaming people, for I am to blame. But I just wrote this post to set the record staight. I made myself look righteous and holy, and criticized the church when I was the problem. I don't belong in church, not because they treat me like crap, but because I am held captive by sin, and I can't seem to stop. I have tried to use all my ability to stop lusting, but I can't. I am just going to everyday pray for God's mercy.

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe I don't go to church because when I am there, I am awear of my own sin. Being around righteous and holy people makes me realize that I am not righteous or holy.

You're aware of your own sin: good. Where do you find a church that is full of righteous and holy people who aren't sinners? I sure haven't found one yet.

That guy next to you may be a inappropriate content addict. The woman might be stealing from her workplace. That nice teen may have had sex last night with his underage girlfriend sitting next to him, and she may have made up lies about that girl at school that she "absolutely hates". No one in that building is without sin. While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. That's not the collective "us". It is the individual "each one of us". He didn't need to die for the righteous and holy.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You, uh...misspelled hypocrite :p

I can't tell you how many times early on in my Christian journey where I thought I was a hypocrite. I was so wrapped up in noticing the church's flaws that I couldn't look at my own. God brought events in my life to make sure I stopped doing that, though, and apparently He's done the same with you. One of the first steps of the Christian journey is acknowledging one's sin. It was emotionally painful for me, certainly, but what followed was worth it. :holy:

EVERYBODY in the church, due to humanity's natural imperfection, is a hypocrite. Heck, everyone in the WORLD is. It's just that we Christians get stuck with the hypocrite label because unlike everyone else, we're trying to DO something about our sin instead of justifying it or lying down and surrendering to it.

Now, a bunch of cultural Christians might say that you "don't belong in the church" since you've had issues with gay inappropriate content, but that means absolutely nothing in reality. You're a sinner, yes, but so is everyone else. If we made a process of kicking out all of our sinners, then we'd have an empty church. You having issues with gay inappropriate content, in a church society, makes it seem like your sin is "worse". But that's not true. EVERY sin is bad, and there is no scale or spectrum to rank them. Unfortunately, the church doesn't understand that so many of its members might struggle with homosexuality and does nothing about it to help, furthering the idea that sexuality is grounded in and permanent.

But how can that be if gender is a social construct? Liberals are being hypocrites there:confused::doh:

Jokes aside, be honest and confess your sin to someone in the church you can trust. If they say, "Well, we'll just have to kick you out of the church", explain that the verses regarding that refer to UNREPENTANT sinners, people who see nothing wrong with their sin. And the church lets in those sorts of people all the time! Although hopefully they've realized the error of their ways. If the church still insists on removing you, remind them of their own sins. There's nothing sinful in pointing out another believer's issues (just be respectful about it). Even if you don't know what your pastor or whoever is struggling with, if they're smart they'll realize that you are ashamed of your sin, and therefore understand that you need Christ.

So don't feel like you don't belong in a church. You do, and so do I, even though I frankly have absolutely NOTHING in common with the people that go to my church:D I go because I need to, not because I want to.

Basically what I'm trying to say in a very circuitous fashion is that a true believer won't hold hypocrisy against you if you admit to it. Really, atheists are the ones who started this whole "Christians are hypocrites" stereotype because they'd rather do that then notice the planks in their own eyes (and avoid acknowledging their own sins).

Stay strong against your sin, brother. It's possible to fight it, even if it seems difficult. Find true believers that can help you with love instead of pushing you away.:)

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No one Christian is trying to make you feel bad.

We have experienced how our Father has corrected us so we now much more successfully refuse to go along with lusts. So, we have hope for you, too.

"He can have compassion on those who are ignorant and going astray, since he himself is also subject to weakness." (Hebrews 5:2)

So, you can use your own problems to help you feel for and understand others, and not just feed on your own failure.

"Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16)

We can help each other, praying "for one another". So, ones Christian would not be criticizing you for failure, but we are concerned that you do not share with us and help us while we help you.

"My beloved brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted." (Galatians 6:1)

So, yes we in Jesus have God-given ability to restore a person out of "any trespass". And we need to watch our own selves > "lest you also be tempted." So, we need to not be boasting that "it couldn't be me".

Therefore, by the way, we need to say wrong things are not ok . . . so we don't stray there!!

"For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret." (Romans 5:12)

I think this means not to speak with approval or to be joking in a way which can help people to accept what is wrong. So, yes it is wrong to give approving attention to inappropriate content and other evil. Even in our minds, we need to not "speak" approvingly of evil things.

"Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth." (Colossians 3:2)

And God is the One who succeeds in curing our character so we are not available to being messed-with by Satanic things. So, yes trust God and pray for His correction > Hebrews 12:4-17. And forgive whoever is not good with you; forgiving can help you become stronger against your own wrong stuff.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The problem of many church groups is that they don't make a distinction between visitors and those who are "born again" believers in Christ; and they allow the unholy to partake of the holy at the Lord's table, and are called Christians. The fact that one calls him/her self Christian does not mean they are a Christian by real faith and devotion to Christ.

The elders often fail to be guardians of the faith and discern who is of Christ and who is a seeker. So, as one said herein, there can be unholy people sitting next to you and they might seem a "hypocrite", but really they don't even know they are not a true Christian, because no one made a distinction between those of the new birth in Christ and a "wannabee". We need to honor God and separate the holy place and services from the visitors who come to hear what is true.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem of many church groups is that they don't make a distinction between visitors and those who are "born again" believers in Christ; and they allow the unholy to partake of the holy at the Lord's table, and are called Christians. The fact that one calls him/her self Christian does not mean they are a Christian by real faith and devotion to Christ.

The elders often fail to be guardians of the faith and discern who is of Christ and who is a seeker. So, as one said herein, there can be unholy people sitting next to you and they might seem a "hypocrite", but really they don't even know they are not a true Christian, because no one made a distinction between those of the new birth in Christ and a "wannabee". We need to honor God and separate the holy place and services from the visitors who come to hear what is true.

My church actually does differentiate. It is literally the first church I ever attended who says that communion is for all believers (not just members), but only believers.

Upvote 0

Guru03

Relationship with Jesus = Freedom
Nov 2, 2012
Greenville, SC
✟7,685.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Okay,

The way for Christiana to struggle less with sin is this:

1) Pray to God in your routine prayers about your struggle and pray when you get tempted.
2) When tempted, ask God to help you to not fall into sin.
3) If you do fall, ask for forgiveness and ask God to help you.
4) Read your Bible to help you grow spiritually.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Developing Edurance, which purifies and perfects against temptations and sins, but oftentimes means we have to deal with them (temptations to sin) several times over, otherwise endurance could not be developed, and the bible speaks many good words about those who have endured, so just keep it up, endurance comes with many rewards...

P.S. hypocrisy is something very hard to eliminate completely, since most of us are born double-minded and society promotes being double-minded, we have a dual-nature, we have an ego, which is different from our real selves at the core of us that we are...

Almost everyone that I know is a hypocrite... I have said that if we could eliminate hypocrisy, selfishness (self-centeredness) and egotism, that we would be near to the goal of perfection, but if you really think hard about these things they are much, much harder to eliminate than at first glance or check...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think you need to do two things.....

1. Make sure you are really a Christian. I am not judging you but it is possible to be religious but not really a believer. A religious person tries really, really hard to live right in order to get saved. He believes that if only he can stop sinning (i.e. stop disobeying God's law and start obeying it) he will obtain eternal life and justification. He is looking to the law for acceptance with God. However, no matter how hard he tries he always fails. He always thinks "well I may have failed this time but next time I will try even harder and maybe I will succeed and then I will be right with God and be accepted by Him. However, He will fail again and become angry and full of despair. This will lead to even more sin. Does this describe you? If so what can you do about it?

A. First be totally honest and admit that you are a terrible sinner and you deserve to be punished by God and kept out of heaven. (this is true of all of us it's just that some people don't want to admit it)

B. Admit that you are so totally sinful that you have no ability to stop sinning. You are hopeless and cannot change yourself. So don't promise what you cannot do.

C. Do not bargain with God. Do not say..."God if you will forgive me and save me and make me a Christian, I will serve you and obey your commands." If you do that you are offering something to God in return for salvation. Salvation is a gift and God will not accept your payments or your bargains. Salvation is a free gift.

D. Believe that Jesus is God ...and believe that He died on the cross to be punished for your sins and purchase your salvation so that you can obtain salvation as a free gift. Jesus died for our sins, was buried and rose again from the dead and so He made a sufficient payment for salvation. You cannot add anything to what He did.

E. Finally, claim salvation by faith.... Believe that even though you are a sinner, you are now automatically right with God because Jesus died for your sin. Believe that Jesus saves you and gives you salvation even though you do nothing to earn or deserve it. Tell God that you aren't going to try to earn or deserve salvation anymore but are just going to depend on Jesus to get you to heaven. John 3 says "whoever believes in Him shall not perish but shall have everlasting life."

The moment you stop trying to save yourself and simply trust Jesus to save you... you are saved.

2. When Jesus saves you He puts his Holy Spirit in you. The Spirit will start making changes in your life. It is His doing and not something we do for ourselves. Although you cannot change yourself.....now that you are saved God will begin working in you and changing you. If you have trusted Christ for salvation and are now saved...always attempt to live holy and please God to show Him how much you are grateful for His gift of eternal life.... but never try to live holy to earn or deserve salvation. Read the Bible everyday... Read the Gospel of John first.... then the epistles of Paul and the other epistles. Pray constantly.... Go to Church every week. These things will make you spiritually stronger.

Upvote 0
J

Jesse2014

I think you need to do two things.....

1. Make sure you are really a Christian. I am not judging you but it is possible to be religious but not really a believer. A religious person tries really, really hard to live right in order to get saved. He believes that if only he can stop sinning (i.e. stop disobeying God's law and start obeying it) he will obtain eternal life and justification. He is looking to the law for acceptance with God. However, no matter how hard he tries he always fails. He always thinks "well I may have failed this time but next time I will try even harder and maybe I will succeed and then I will be right with God and be accepted by Him. However, He will fail again and become angry and full of despair. This will lead to even more sin. Does this describe you? If so what can you do about it?

A. First be totally honest and admit that you are a terrible sinner and you deserve to be punished by God and kept out of heaven. (this is true of all of us it's just that some people don't want to admit it)

B. Admit that you are so totally sinful that you have no ability to stop sinning. You are hopeless and cannot change yourself. So don't promise what you cannot do.

C. Do not bargain with God. Do not say..."God if you will forgive me and save me and make me a Christian, I will serve you and obey your commands." If you do that you are offering something to God in return for salvation. Salvation is a gift and God will not accept your payments or your bargains. Salvation is a free gift.

D. Believe that Jesus is God ...and believe that He died on the cross to be punished for your sins and purchase your salvation so that you can obtain salvation as a free gift. Jesus died for our sins, was buried and rose again from the dead and so He made a sufficient payment for salvation. You cannot add anything to what He did.

E. Finally, claim salvation by faith.... Believe that even though you are a sinner, you are now automatically right with God because Jesus died for your sin. Believe that Jesus saves you and gives you salvation even though you do nothing to earn or deserve it. Tell God that you aren't going to try to earn or deserve salvation anymore but are just going to depend on Jesus to get you to heaven. John 3 says "whoever believes in Him shall not perish but shall have everlasting life."

The moment you stop trying to save yourself and simply trust Jesus to save you... you are saved.

2. When Jesus saves you He puts his Holy Spirit in you. The Spirit will start making changes in your life. It is His doing and not something we do for ourselves. Although you cannot change yourself.....now that you are saved God will begin working in you and changing you. If you have trusted Christ for salvation and are now saved...always attempt to live holy and please God to show Him how much you are grateful for His gift of eternal life.... but never try to live holy to earn or deserve salvation. Read the Bible everyday... Read the Gospel of John first.... then the epistles of Paul and the other epistles. Pray constantly.... Go to Church every week. These things will make you spiritually stronger.

Thank you. This is good.

And yes, I have tried to change but I kept failing. So thank you

Upvote 0