Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeforjesus

Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2004
✟580,775.00
Faith
Christian
As a Coptic Orthodox christian I was baptised as a baby or infant.. so then do pentecostals think im unsaved (btw we both believe in full water immersion :) ) because I believe I have the Holy Spirit in me as I feel I grieved Him and am convicted of sin and I know through repentance slowly I am returned back into the likeness of Jesus Christ it might even show on facial features.. pentecostals I think dont accept infant baptism because u do not choose it and the good conscience thing. Btw I dont speak in tongues.

The reason I ask is because I have social anxiety and some think Gods ways of helping me might be entering the rest be supplication of the spirit. I also have depression and I still find Jesus there with me.

Also do some pentecostals acknowledge that at church we are actually taking the real body and blood of Jesus Christ?

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
mikeforjesus said:
As a Coptic Orthodox christian I was baptised as a baby or infant.. so then do pentecostals think im unsaved (btw we both believe in full water immersion :) ) ...

I can only speak for me and not for all Pentecostals . Since I don't think that any water baptism saves a person , it doesn't matter when or how or how many times a person is water baptized . I wouldn't consider you to be unsaved simply because you were forced to have this done while an infant .

Upvote 0

bigg35

May 19, 2005
Visit site
✟15,242.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well said New_Wineskin

To be saved, as I understand the Gospel, is to repent and put ones faith in the saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, believing in his propitiatory sacrifice for the forgiveness of our sins. As Scripture says,

1 Corinthians 15:1-4
Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Baptism, as such, is the outward profession of this faith. As such, the pentecostal perspective is the requirement of understanding of the gospel and being able to make a conscious decision.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Father Rick

Peace be with you
Jun 23, 2004
Sitting at this computer
Visit site
✟21,921.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Private
mikeforjesus said:
As a Coptic Orthodox christian I was baptised as a baby or infant.. so then do pentecostals think im unsaved (btw we both believe in full water immersion :) ) because I believe I have the Holy Spirit in me as I feel I grieved Him and am convicted of sin and I know through repentance slowly I am returned back into the likeness of Jesus Christ it might even show on facial features.. pentecostals I think dont accept infant baptism because u do not choose it and the good conscience thing. Btw I dont speak in tongues.

The reason I ask is because I have social anxiety and some think Gods ways of helping me might be entering the rest be supplication of the spirit. I also have depression and I still find Jesus there with me.

Also do some pentecostals acknowledge that at church we are actually taking the real body and blood of Jesus Christ?
You will find Pentecostals/Charismatics from all kinds of theological backgrounds, so you may get a wide variety of answers here.

There are more Spirit-filled Catholics than all the other P/C groups put together-- so you know how they would stand on these issues. There are other P/C's from most every Protestant background-- with the all the varying traditional Protestant views.

Personally as an Old Catholic, I hold to 7 sacraments of the Church as taught by Tradition including paedobaptism and Real Presence.

Upvote 0

Jesusong

Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟2,328.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Speaking for myself as well, I don't accept the teaching of baptismal regeneration. So the idea of needing to be baptized in order to be saved or cleansed of original sin is erroneous.

What baptism does convey is an outward ceremony of what has already taken place on the inside spiritually. When one gives their life over to Christ, they take on a new nature. Their old life is over, dead, and a new one begins in the newness of Christ. The baptism is your outward profession that you are identifying yourself with Christ. By going under the water, you are showing that you have died in your old life, and by comming out of the water, you are showing that you have been raised from the dead as a new creation, washed clean by the water of the Word.

Protestants will usually have altar calls to make a public profession of Christ. But when you really look at it, the baptism is the real public profession of your faith in Christ. Anybody can walk down to the altar in an emotional state, but if your repentance is genuine, the baptism will usually signify it.

As for your question regarding "transubstantiation" or the "real presence" in the communion, I don't accept that. The elements of the bread and the cup are symbols of what Christ did on the cross for our sins, and when we partake of this sacrament, we are doing it as a memorial of what has already taken place.

Upvote 0

womanofgodwcci

Militant Intercessor-You better ask somebody!!
Jan 4, 2005
Georgia
✟16,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
mikeforjesus said:

What matters is that you are a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ. We accept Christ into our lives as Lord and personal Savior in order to be saved. Water baptism is required as a believer, but not to be saved. If it were not a requirement, Christ would not have done it. Whatever Jesus did, we do.
Speaking in tongues is a gift, not a requirement, but it is a part of your life, even if you don't have the gift yet. It is given by the Holy Ghost, but when He does that for you, is up to Him. So don't ever feel inferior about that. Communion is a must for me personally, I can't speak for others. But I stand by whatever Christ did, we should do as well. Hope this helps dear one.

Upvote 0
S

SOLDOUT4HIM

Personally, I think it would be a good idea to be re-baptized. You are saved if you accepted Jesus, but when you were baptized as a baby did you have any knowledge of Jesus Christ? Of course not. Baptism is an outward sign of an inward committment. It is a commandment of Jesus. (to Nicodemus) Now that you have come to Christ, it would be a good idea. Jesus said if you confess him before men he will confess you before his Father.

Upvote 0

mickd7

Feb 9, 2005
Old Dominion
✟454.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mikeforjesus said:

I have no problem with you being here or any christian, but if i were in the catholic section asking such questions (which I have) I would and was told to get lost and was warned and sent one of those inane messages from you know who. DE BUMS. Baptism has nothing to do with salvation nor what church you fellowship with. All that counts is being born again and accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and repent of your sins plus nothing. It matters not if u are baptised in a mud puddle, water dumped over your head etc as long as your heart is right and you are being baptized into the body of Christ and raised into a new life with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Br_Rhoades

Jan 5, 2005
Urbana IL (home of HAL)
✟493.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
mikeforjesus said:

You know this has a hook look to it, but …
We are saved by grace alone – when we believe that God has raised Jesus Christ from the dead and confess Jesus as our Lord we are saved by grace. The lack of a believer’s baptism has no connection to your salvation at all. The same is true of the Baptism of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in other tongues has no connection to believers baptism in water the only condition to that is that you are a regenerated new creation in Christ. As for the Eucharist how would we prove this tradition of men from the Holy Bible alone with out destruction of the inerrancy of the Holy Bible?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.