Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I come to this forum to discuss what is happening in our world and how it relates to the "End of Times". The conversation no matter what is being discussed is routinely taken over by debating the preterist. I find this both useless and annoying. They have no beliefs in the "End of Times"... so I have no idea why they post. Erwin has given us an ignore button. This allows us not to see their post.
Tell me truthfully... Do you think this would be the wrong thing to do?

:) LOVE

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sometimes I do get to a point where I am tired of reading posts by people who just take the opposite side just so that they can tick people off or ruffle some feathers.

Then there are those people who make statements like "that just shows how ignorant Christians are" in order to have the last word or stir the pot a little.

Sometimes I'm tempted to push that ignore button, but I'm afraid that I will miss a vital part of the discussion.

Debating is fun, but when it turns into a trash talking, stone throwing argument, I get turned off from the thread.

in Christ
Zach

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am asking your opinions because it seems unchristian to ignore the preterist. At the same time I would like to discuss what is going on in our day and time without them saying that we are all off the mark. They take such a strong know it all approach. I have no idea if Christ will return during my life time but I do like being connected to others who are also watching and anticipating.

Upvote 0

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by Catchup
I come to this forum to discuss what is happening in our world and how it relates to the "End of Times". The conversation no matter what is being discussed is routinely taken over by debating the preterist. I find this both useless and annoying. They have no beliefs in the "End of Times"... so I have no idea why they post. Erwin has given us an ignore button. This allows us not to see their post.
Tell me truthfully... Do you think this would be the wrong thing to do?

Hello again Catchup,

I just wanted to share my thoughts: Preterist do have a belief in the end times, we just believe the end times was the end of biblical judaism. So we believe all the events depicted in Revelation happened in the first century. But anyway, we post because we're simply sharing. I realize that there are many unnecessary statements being made on this board. So if some of this is discouraging, feel free to ignore us. But as Coastie said by doing that, we might miss something vital.

I also do not like to debate, since it can easily frustrate me and cause me to waste time. For the most part, I share preterism when people want to know about it. It's that simple. If not, that's fine.

I'm fully aware of other people's positions on the end times. There are 4 major interpretations after all. You hold onto one view, and I hold on to another. There are others who hold on the 2 other views. But ultimately, we're still brothers too, you know =)

God bless!

-Jason

Upvote 0

RKF

Apr 3, 2002
texas
Visit site
✟934.00
The fact remains that everytime one tries to have a conversation on any subject it gets attacked by the preterest and then they shoot down everything that is being said so that we have to stop and start defending what we believe, and then we are no longer having a conversation but bickering.

I, myself being guilty of that very thing in which I don't want to do. No I don't want to have to push any button but the thought has come to my mind a few times.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>we have to stop and start defending what we believe

We have had the same problem on other forums. Just about the time we start to get somewhere and have some decent fellowship, and people are starting to learn, someone comes along and ruins it all. I wonder if they know that Satan is using them to disrupt fellowship between the brothern.

Upvote 0

Ephesian

Mar 28, 2002
Visit site
✟294.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Catchup, I'm in your camp. I look forward to the day our Lord returns. I also enjoy talking about the End Times (kind of morbid, huh?) so I can relate.

But don't hit that ignore button. If their views send you deeper into God's Word (thats what it has done for me these past few days) then it is definately worth reading.

Besides, we are brothers, and isn't it normal for siblings to be at each other's throat.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the ignore button is certainly a viable option, and a fantastic measuring rod as to how many folks here actually want to discuss our differences.

If all the futurists who do not want to engage preterists just hit the ignore button, we could all only talk to people we want to talk to, and it sure would solve the whining. There would be no more excuses or complaining that you don't get to "fellowship" with like minded people.
The power is in your hands alone. You alone can choose to engage us and test us, or you can choose to only engage people who agree with you.

The Ignore button is proof that no one can force anyone to read or even look at any post they do not want to look at. In fact , as far as I'm concerned, I will from now on assume that whoever responds to my post did so because they made a conscious choice to read it and respond. They actually wanted to reply to what I had to say. That way we all remain responsible for our own choices, instead of blaming others for "ruining" the threads

This forum is for ALL Christians, but the ignore feature is , IMHO, an excellent "Stop Gap" to prevent unwanted exchanges.

I choose the challenge!
see you on the boards!

YBIC,
P70

Upvote 0
I have been on several other forums, where the preterist made the forums so un-enjoyable that people just quit the forum, and/or move to another forum. They call them forum killers at a forum I used to post at. It has been several months since anyone has posted there. I hope that it doesn't happen here also. Peace, but not yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hoonbaba

Catholic Preterist
Apr 15, 2002
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
✟10,659.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by MARANATHA2002
I have been on several other forums, where the preterist made the forums so un-enjoyable that people just quit the forum, and/or move to another forum. They call them forum killers at a forum I used to post at. It has been several months since anyone has posted there. I hope that it doesn't happen here also. Peace, but not yet.

Forum killers!? Hey guys, let's be careful not to tear each other apart, God's command is to love our neighbors (Matt 5:43), and I think this passage is relevant:

You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love. The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself." If you keep on biting and devouring each other, watch out or you will be destroyed by each other. (Gal 5:13-15)

What a great command! =)

-Jason

Upvote 0

rollinTHUNDER

Veteran
Dec 30, 2001
Central Florida USA
Visit site
✟22,549.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This sounds very useful. I was considering strongly looking for another Forum, and I was invited by the owner of another Forum to join his. He wants me to post some threads on his. I don't know yet, if the Lord would have me leave here yet. I'm stuck in the middle for now. When I first joined here, most people didn't have a clue about Prophecy, but now there are several that have good knowledge. Sometimes I feel like the condition now with the preterists, is much worse than it was in the beginning with the lack of knowledge. This Forum is now, a good place to get confused if one is searching for truth. Time to pray!!

Upvote 0

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
Hi everyone. We're all family here.

First, no one is at each other's throats. Personally, I like the discussions when they are godly and done in love. Even good debate can be done this way and is healthy for growth in understanding. Eschatology has a great many differing viewpoints and we all have to learn to get along since we're all in the same Body of Christ. I recommend that everyone get a copy of "REVELATION: FOUR VIEWS" by Steve Gregg, since it will help newcomers learn that there are four MAIN traditions on endtimes that have existed in Church history.

Next, this board is for everyone and is not merely a place for one view to dominate, be it preterists, dispensationalists, or any other "ists."

Surely when someone starts a thread addressed to preterists we are bound to answer. We can all respect each other and not intentionally railroad each other's discussions as well. I see no reason for anyone to have to go anywhere. AND, the "IGNORE" button is even around for those who agree they want to have threads where they can ignore unwanted posts. How awesome a solution is that for those who just don't want to dwell peacefully together.

Thoughts?
GW

Upvote 0

davo

Mar 24, 2002
Visit site
✟1,104.00
Hey Folks, my thoughts are similar to what P70 advocates.
I think if you have a need to use the ignore button then that is your right and you should be free to do so. I won't be as I find challenging and being challenged healthy -I guess the trick is to see we're challenging each other thoughts etc -not the person (sometimes easier said than done :hug:

Again, we have the choice :)

"As iron sharpens iron, So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend."

davo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by rollinTHUNDER
Do you preterists believe that the Holy Spirit still dwells in men??

I'm not quite sure how this has anything to do with the ignore button, but what the heck... Yes thunder, This preterist does. What are you driving at?

Upvote 0

GW

Veteran
Mar 26, 2002
USA
✟17,838.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by rollinTHUNDER
Do you preterists believe that the Holy Spirit still dwells in men??

Not only do preterists believe that, but they see it as a CRUCIAL distinctive that came to God's People during the Last Days of the Old Testament Era and abides forever among Christ's Nation (John 14:16; 2 Cor 3:6-11). During the O.T. times, the Holy Spirit was only given to a very few people to lead the Nation of Israel. Moses, David, various kings, etc. etc. But the rest of the Nation was prohibited from the abiding PRESENCE of the Holy Spirit. Yet the hope of the O.T. leaders and prophets was that some day God would shed his Holy Spirit abundantly upon His people and that only could happen after sin was atoned for (see how John 7:39 ties the shedding abroad of the Holy Ghost to the glorification of Jesus).

The giving of the Holy Spirit was a LAST DAYS event that took place back in the Last Days 19 centuries ago. Peter, standing up to explain the outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon that last days Church, declared:
Acts 2:15-18
for these are not full of wine, as ye suppose, for it is the third hour of the day; BUT THIS IS THAT WHICH WAS SPOKEN THROUGH THE PROPHET JOEL: And it shall be IN THE LAST DAYS, saith God, that I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your elders shall dream with dreams; yea, even upon my bondmen and upon my bondwomen in those days will I pour out of my Spirit, and they shall prophesy.

We have no clearer statement in the scripture as to when the last days were and how the Apostles knew it. They new it by the Holy Spirit's outpouring into/upon the New Covenant Church at the appointed time of their generation. Peter declares clearly and authoritatively: "THIS IS THAT WHICH WAS SPOKEN THROUGH THE PROPHET JOEL: And it shall be IN THE LAST DAYS, saith God, that I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh..."

And so the hope foreshadowed under the Old Covenant Era in passages like Numbers 11:16-29 finally came to fruition for God's New Covenant People.

Thanks,
GW

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The ignore button serves a purpose. In an idealistic world, where ideas and thoughts can be exchanged without offending, then obviously we would not need such an option.

This is where an individual is 'bothered' or offended by another individual's posts. There is equal sides to this scenareo. On the one side, there are some members who try 'push the buttons' of other members. On the flip side of that same coin, there are some members who get offended at what others do not see as offensive. (I have recently recieved a private message from a member, telling me he was leaving the forum, because "The ideas expressed on this forum are beyond belief!" :scratch: ) Then, there are other scenareos, where members get hurt by the constant, barrage of 'bashings', by some posters. They may have even tried to reason with the individual, but for lack of the right words or the communication limitations of forums, only made things worse.

If you feel that an individual is constantly getting you worked up, by all means, use the ignore button. :)

John

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.