If you lost your faith.. do you think you would become depressed?

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You can only say that if he prefers for his children to live, or if he prefers not to go to prison, that he should refrain from doing so. There is no reason why he should prefer for his children to live, or why he should prefer not to go to prison if it makes him happy to kill his children and risk the consequences. There are only different, completely subjective sets of values, each of no greater or lesser validity than any others, except as they either work towards or against the completely subjective and independent satisfaction of the individual persons who hold them. And there isn't even any reason why a person ought to engage in actions that fulfill his own values from the perspective of anyone but himself.
By the same token, a person can prefer going to Hell and defying God thereby making rendering God's Will also a subjective value.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why can't I agree with those same theories of what happened before the big bang? I wouldn't personally limit God to a set number of big bangs, let alone a set number of previous or concurrent universes. If we can develop a model of what happened, then I think we should. Belief in God isn't an alternative to science. It isn't a competing ideology unless you want it to be.
I agree with you on one part. Belief in God isn't an alternative to science. I just take the view that maybe you don't that science can actually be used to find more answers than just scientific ones. We can do it with love and many, many other aspects of life.

The only thing though, if you one believes in God, it isn't limiting the God to Big Bangs. One theory that I know of, theorizes that before the big bang, there was another universe like ours but it collapsed. The proponents of that theory have scientific reasoning to believe it. So I am pretty much talking about the same thing and then we have the possibilities of endless amounts don't we? If we are billions of light years away, and if we use our own manner to measure, if one would want to put God in the idea of 'big bangs' the possibilities are endless. ;)
It's just that I perceive an underlying framework to reality. To my mind, that framework suggests a the work of a creative intelligence... much like a computer program would suggest a programming language and a programmer. Even if we knew everything that we could possibly know about nature, my view would probably remain the same. As a philosophical position, monotheism makes more sense to me than atheism or polytheism. People tell me that I'm a bright guy, that I'm great at pattern recognition etc. I've always loved science, and I can imagine all kinds of SF/Fantasy alternatives so it's not like I lack the imagination to see other points of view. Why shouldn't I go with what seems the most plausible to me? Why should I have to choose between two things that are not mutually exclusive? Why should I accept being told that I'm stupid, delusional, backward etc. by strangers, when such accusations are demonstrably not true IRL? Such nonsense says more about the accuser than it says about myself or my fellow Christians. Quite a few of which who I've known personally are practicing scientists, FWIW. So I see the universe as evidence of God, and you don't. It's more a matter of perspective than anything else. I'll connect the dots as you see fit. If you see things differently, feel free to do so. Your perspective is your perspective, just as my perspective is my perspective.
I will never tell you what to believe. I just won't agree with you at this current time. So when we have our discourse, you will see why I disagree with you, not me trying to change your mind.
The Christian God is portrayed as the beginning and the end, the logical order of things, the language of what holds it all together. In the beginning was the Logos, the Logos was with God and the Logos was God. - John 1:1. That sounds a lot like my idea of a Creator, especially considering the connection between language and coding. He's not a Zeus type character in my book, and there's nothing about him that would lead me to reject things like gravity or evolution.
Moses saw the backside of God. So depending on how you read that verse, yes Jehovah can very well be a character like Zeus. Then we see 'God' Incarnate into the Jewish peasant and the next we will supposedly see this god as a conquering warrior coming from the east. John 1:1 speaks of the essence of god in my opinion simply because the Bible as a whole goes on several different illustrations of God.

What is interesting to me, and I meaning nothing against you with this, I just find it interesting. There are a great number of Christians like you. Then there are a great number of Christians who do see things like evolution, the big bang, etc. as part of antithesis of the faith. It is just an interesting difference to me.
As far as theologians are concerned, it seems to me most modern apologists are involved in an elaborate play. They're handed scripts, and they do their best to play their parts, but the fruits of their labor is disconnected from reality. I feel the similarly about authors like Richard Dawkins. In real life, theists and atheists can easily work side by side in a constructive manner. Believers and nonbelievers alike can contribute to the advancement of science, or whatever it is they feel like doing.
I agree big time there. The public battle between prominent atheists and Christian theologians is nothing short of the tabloid nonsense. The only thing is, for some of us and this topic, we can see things from both sides that we agree with. Christians like people like Ravi Zacharias and C.S. Lewis, and people like me may like Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins. Kind of like rooting for Hulk Hogan or Andre the Giant.
Sorry for rambling. Sometimes, I feel like this is all a matter of reciting the same old same old. Nothing much accomplished, nothing much learned. Two or more people stubbornly refusing to see each other's point of view while occasionally lobbing poorly formulated generalizations and half-truths at each other, punctuated by the occasional insult. Fun stuff despite it all, but not something I plan on doing much longer. Although I do appreciate these conversations.
No reason to apologize.
It is a matter of reciting the same rhetoric. There's no other way around it when discussions like these come about.

One thing I think at least should be noted. We both see each other's point of view loud and clear. That's why we are debating and why the debate continues with this topic. :)

I don't mind keeping it up either with you at least because you are one of my favorite people on the boards to have this talk with. You make it easy for me at least, to not get so direct because of how you react to me stating my views, or my reasons for not agreeing with you. So thanks :)

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
That would be one of those testable claims I mentioned earlier. Just because a society is mostly populated by Christians doesn't make it any less or more 'moral' than one populated mostly by non-Christians. They can believe whatever they like, but claiming that there is a universal Christian morality is demonstrably wrong.

We're all capable of moral behavior. Folks who say otherwise speak for themselves.

I agree with both statements more or less. If there is an absolute morality (which is not really testable) then it would be even harder to prove a specific religion or even sect (since they vary heavily on morality) is such an absolution.

No; our position is that if morality doesn't come from something greater than ourselves, then any action we choose to make is of equal value to any other action we possibly could choose to make, from the most supposedly altruistic decisions down to the most basic biological functions. That, in fact, is axiomatic. This isn't even a Christian apologetic stance. Immanuel Kant recognized that a legitimate categorical imperative can only come from a supernatural entity, because nature is all equal within itself. Unless something greater than nature has described a moral principle - an "ought" - that prohibits murder, then you can't say without speaking nonsense that one ought to refrain from killing his children if it makes him happy to do so in spite of the consequences.

You can only say that if he prefers for his children to live, or if he prefers not to go to prison, that he should refrain from doing so. There is no reason why he should prefer for his children to live, or why he should prefer not to go to prison if it makes him happy to kill his children and risk the consequences. There are only different, completely subjective sets of values, each of no greater or lesser validity than any others, except as they either work towards or against the completely subjective and independent satisfaction of the individual persons who hold them. And there isn't even any reason why a person ought to engage in actions that fulfill his own values from the perspective of anyone but himself.

That's an interesting position given that it doesn't explicitly call for the Christian God's moral statues. I agree that all moral decisions are inherently subjective and work towards equally subjective goals but I dare say that comes into direct conflict with what many Christians believe: "Fulfill God's commandments". Given the supernatural imperative, its often juxtaposed within a Christian context. That is: "If it's not the Christian God then it is self" proposing that the Christian God or "other" are the two choices which I don't agree with.

Of course people are flawed. I would hope it wouldn't take being a Christian to understand that.

Of course, the difference is that Christians propose that people are absolute failures in terms of design and are worthy of annihilation and therefore cannot make their own decisions. Logically, its fair to extrapolate that their moral compasses are corrupt, right? Christians have some form of "redemption" (I know this is kind of a theological minefield and has been argued for centuries) so aren't they in a better position...from your perspective?

As for morality - a person can call themselves a Christian and be immoral. How they reconcile the two are between them and God. But, being a non-believer does not automatically earn someone an "immoral" tag any faster than being a Christian earns someone a "moral" tag.

That's an ideal, not so much a reality. Many Christians (barring discussion calling those people's religion into question about how Christian they are) look at non-Christians are inferior. My history is rife with such experiences and I am sure many others are. Even if from your perspective it is theologically incorrect that doesn't change popular understanding on the subject.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you on one part. Belief in God isn't an alternative to science. I just take the view that maybe you don't that science can actually be used to find more answers than just scientific ones. We can do it with love and many, many other aspects of life.

I agree with the fact that God isn't (or at least shouldn't be--another one of those "ideals" I mentioned in my prior post) an alternative to science. However, Science is a system of testing the physical world empirically and measuring that what can be physically observed in some fashion and using logic and rational systems to develop theories of behavior about things in the universe. By definition, Science is not allowed to delve into the area of theology or metaphysics which is where many Atheists fall short of understanding.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
By the same token, a person can prefer going to Hell and defying God thereby making rendering God's Will also a subjective value.

Unless one also believes that the very same supernatural position from which God gives us morality is also the source of Reason and the ultimate good of each and every person, in which case we should obey Him because He knows far better than we do what will actually make us happy; and in which case one must consider such a person who would prefer defying God to be acting out of ignorance of the ultimate consequences of his actions, and therefore not to be acting in a manner that fulfills his ultimate values. That, or he must be possessed of an insanity beyond the ability of a reasoning mind to comprehend.

In other words, preferring to go against the will of a sovereign being which is the source of all good is akin to preferring to go continuously to the right while the very thing that satisfies your values lies to the left. It is like starving yourself when the thing you most want, more than any other thing, is food; or like destroying something you prize in the full knowledge that it will cause you immediate and unbearable anguish. Simply put, morality is that which is conducive to the fulfillment of our ultimate, deepest, and eternal values; and which, if we all had the supernatural knowledge and reason of God, we would all choose.

But that, of course, is by definition a matter of faith. And to have that faith is to believe that human beings are morally attuned because of something greater than ourselves, rather than because of something within or otherwise equal to ourselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Themistocles

Sep 13, 2009
✟8,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The oughts and shoulds come from the necessity to organize given human inclination towards sociability. Lacking a supernatural source of morality doesn't mean all constructed morality is bullcrap just because it isn't commanded by the biggest tyrant who will hurt you if you don't comply. Instead, it needs to be judged based on how effective it is with the aims of a given society.

There is no society. It is idle to talk about society. There are individuals. As an individual, who is very soon to be annihilated, I have not the least concern about the aims of "society" except insofar as they affect me, which they very plainly won't do in the majority of circumstances. If a "given society" figured out a set of codes and mores which worked optimally to further the happiness of the majority of its members, I should nonetheless be obliged to reject them if they didn't further my happiness. And no one could make any plausible claim that I'd acted incorrectly (we must leave out talk of "wrongly" and "badly" and "unjustly") by murdering a child or torturing a kitten.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Of course, the difference is that Christians propose that people are absolute failures in terms of design and are worthy of annihilation and therefore cannot make their own decisions. Logically, its fair to extrapolate that their moral compasses are corrupt, right? Christians have some form of "redemption" (I know this is kind of a theological minefield and has been argued for centuries) so aren't they in a better position...from your perspective?

Having redemption does not somehow miraculously/spontaneously rid a person of their flaws or any corruption in their moral compass, though. It's not like we can accept what Christ did for us on the Cross and then simply keep living out a life that isn't Christ-like. To do so is, IMHO, fraudulent and poor witness to those around us.

That's an ideal, not so much a reality. Many Christians (barring discussion calling those people's religion into question about how Christian they are) look at non-Christians are inferior. My history is rife with such experiences and I am sure many others are. Even if from your perspective it is theologically incorrect that doesn't change popular understanding on the subject.

I can't and won't dispute your personal experiences. But, I can tell you from my own that very few of the Christians I know personally have ever considered non-believers inferior.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is no society. It is idle to talk about society. There are individuals. As an individual, who is very soon to be annihilated, I have not the least concern about the aims of "society" except insofar as they affect me, which they very plainly won't do in the majority of circumstances. If a "given society" figured out a set of codes and mores which worked optimally to further the happiness of the majority of its members, I should nonetheless be obliged to reject them if they didn't further my happiness. And no one could make any plausible claim that I'd acted incorrectly (we must leave out talk of "wrongly" and "badly" and "unjustly") by murdering a child or torturing a kitten.

Even what those two kids did at Columbine???!?!

12Scream.jpg

No... NO.... it can't be!! NOOO! Noooo! *pounds fit on the ground in a sense of defeat*

Upvote 0

Drax

Dominate
Oct 6, 2010
✟8,531.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

Whoa, that's a major generalization! Not this Christian! Not even close to what the Christians I know believe!

Same attitude I get from plenty of non-Christians. In my field of work, I'm one of the only Christians in town; all the materialists and humanists think they're "better" than me. It doesn't make material or humans inherently bad. It's just how idiots behave!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Themistocles

Sep 13, 2009
✟8,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Unbelief puzzles me. It puzzles me that atheists think of it as a condition unique to themselves. When an atheist says "I just can't believe" a pious Christian says, very properly, "Oh neither can I. I almost never believe. I hope". Ours is the faith of Peter who said, "bid me come unto thee on the water"; and the faith of Peter who cried, "Lord, save me" in the tempest. Ours is the faith of Jonah who went down to Joppa and fled to Tarshish; and the faith of Jonah who let himself be cast into the sea. It is a faith that might move mountains but rarely does, with camels caught in needles and crosses cradled in dust. I won't say very little separates the atheist from the Christian because there's a world in those instants of perfect belief, but the separation is quite beyond human understanding and not the caricature atheists would make it.

Reactions: Drax
Upvote 0

Isambard

Nihilist Extrodinaire
Jul 11, 2007
✟12,789.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Power by numbers says differently. How exactly would that be different than your God-given morality I wonder?

Upvote 0

Themistocles

Sep 13, 2009
✟8,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Even what those two kids did at Columbine???!?!

Not even that. The people they ended have cause to complain- if they could complain- but no doubt the Columbine kids thought they were acting rationally. Yes, they'd rejected an overwhelming social code but apparently this social code made them quite unhappy and was not much good to them. You and I may feel distress because they've caused us to "face up to our mortality" or because they've created in us a sense of fear of the commonplace ("I too might be shot while minding my own business- how upsetting") but we could in no sense condemn them. The social code didn't do for them and, given that they were facing certain annihilation in 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 years anyway, they acted so as to maximize their happiness prior to annihilation. It is irrelevant that we think this calculation deranged because, doubtless, deranged people would be made quite mad and miserable by sanity.

I'm simply laying out how we must rationally think about actions in a world without an independent arbiter of moral authority- in a world where human beings aren't certain types of creatures whose good is written in their very essence; a good they can't permanently ignore without misery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Themistocles

Sep 13, 2009
✟8,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Power by numbers says differently. How exactly would that be different than your God-given morality I wonder?

MacFall lays it out quite nicely in #166. I'm somewhat surprised that someone on a Christian forum is unfamiliar with such a basic tenet of theistic (not even specifically Christian) theology. Arguments for teleology run back as far as Aristotle and have had an excellent run since- Aquinas's Summa is a good resource and a more modern, nominally secular, explanation can be found in Alasdair McIntyre's After Virtue (which, by the way, I recommend to absolutely everyone).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not even that. The people they ended would have cause to complain- if they could complain- but no doubt the Columbine kids thought they were acting rationally. Yes, they'd rejected an overwhelming social code but apparently this social code made them quite unhappy and was not much good to them. You and I may rationally feel distress because they've caused us to "face up to our mortality" or because they've created in us a sense of fear of the commonplace ("I too might be shot while minding my own business- how upsetting") but we could in no sense condemn them. The social code didn't do for them and, given that they were facing certain annihilation in 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 years anyway, they acted so as to maximize their happiness prior to annihilation. It is irrelevant that we think this calculation deranged because, doubtless, deranged people would be made quite mad and miserable by sanity.

I'm simply laying out how we must rationally think about actions in a world without an independent arbiter of moral authority- in a world where human beings aren't certain types of creatures whose good is written in their very essence; a good they can't permanently ignore without misery.

Hey I'm not saying I don't agree with you, if you are going to hold onto the Nihilist worldview, I think you need to accept and acknowledge things like this.

I'm just wondering why you guys are talking about this stuff in great detail? Is it to scare us people, or something to throw in our faces lol? Personally Nihilism fits pretty well in my mind, so I don't mind it much. I've been plagued by these thoughts long before I knew about Nihilism or much about Atheists themselves. Nice to see maybe I wasn't so crazy.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey I'm not saying I don't agree with you, if you are going to hold onto the Nihilist worldview, I think you need to accept and acknowledge things like this.

I'm just wondering why you guys are talking about this stuff in great detail? Is it to scare us people, or something to throw in our faces lol? Personally Nihilism fits pretty well in my mind, so I don't mind it much. I've been plagued by these thoughts long before I knew about Nihilism or much about Atheists themselves. Nice to see maybe I wasn't so crazy.

Re: the bolded. I haven't seen any believer here "throw something in your faces" or use scare tactics. You asked what would happen if a believer stopped believing and it evolved into a thread about believers vs. non-believers. Which, best I can tell, that discussion was started by the non-believers. :scratch: If you don't like the direction the thread is taking, then bring it back on-topic and avoid the moral discussion that has come about.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Re: the bolded. I haven't seen any believer here "throw something in your faces" or use scare tactics. You asked what would happen if a believer stopped believing and it evolved into a thread about believers vs. non-believers. Which, best I can tell, that discussion was started by the non-believers. :scratch: If you don't like the direction the thread is taking, then bring it back on-topic and avoid the moral discussion that has come about.

I was just asking if the reason they started talking heavily about Nihilism was to get on the nerves of some Atheists and Non-Believers of any other kind that would care I guess lol. I don't mind myself if that was a partial intent, I see Atheists do the same from time to time, and eh hope you have fun.

I like the idea of Christians using things to make other Atheists upset *though not sure if any Atheist here really cares though*

No I don't mind this direction the thread is taking, go deeper and deeper if you want, that's what I do in my free time. Say all you can.

Upvote 0

Themistocles

Sep 13, 2009
✟8,301.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I'm certainly not trying to "throw it your faces". I'm trying to do two things: 1. Show that it is not "rational" to hold the beliefs a majority of atheists hold- namely, that we can get something meaningful out of this life absent God. 2. Show that atheism is not "courageous". There's a "woe is me, I would like to believe but alas and alack my intellect will not allow it, and therefore I must brave the wilds of existence and prove that man can get by without God" attitude among a certain class of atheists.

Upvote 0