US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you have a bad life on this earth and struck with misfortune do you think God will make up for it?

Do you think heaven really makes up for things people miss out on in this life such as no children, death of family members, no spouse, no sex, no friends, being poor and never getting to go anywhere? Having to work a boring retail job and die getting nowhere in life? Kids dying?

Not that these things have happened to me just wondering.... especially cause we haven't exactly seen heaven.

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
If you have a bad life on this earth and struck with misfortune do you think God will make up for it?

Do you think heaven really makes up for things people miss out on in this life such as no children, death of family members, no spouse, no sex, no friends, being poor and never getting to go anywhere? Having to work a boring retail job and die getting nowhere in life? Kids dying?

Not that these things have happened to me just wondering.... especially cause we haven't exactly seen heaven.
He already has made up for it now.
We are redeemed from sin and death ,and have become sons and joint heirs in Christ.
We must to recieve God's joy walk by faith not by sight.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,933.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

In this world? Maybe. Just look at Jesus, He's poor, no wife, no kids, not even a house of His own on Earth.

What Jesus meant by "to have life abundantly". Are first and foremost, things that cannot be bought by money and is mostly concerned with the Truth or God's Words through the Holy Spirit. It has nothing to do with prosperity in this (corrupt) world.

I used to work retail forecasting and I actually miss the job. Anyway, travelling is overrated....Social media doesn't represent reality. You see people going places, appear happily married, smiling all the time in social media. Maybe that's true but if they have to boast in social media for everyone to see their "exciting" lives every 15 minutes, it only shows their deep emptiness and insecurity.

Ironically, most of the things you mentioned there applies to me.

Yes, heaven will make up for it....But heaven isn't like we do on Earth now. The concept of Capitalism doesn't exist there and there is no poverty, no injustice, no corruption, nothing that stinks...It's way more than I've been dreaming of!

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think He will make up for it. He never said our lives would be great. Maybe some have better lives then others. But in the end we all have issues. And we all die, so thats sort of a big thing lol. THough at least we know where we go after.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe that in a sense, He does.

Not in the exact same way. Some things not enjoyed in this life won't be part of the life of the age to come.

But think of Lazarus and the rich man ... Christ specifically said that Lazarus "received bad things" in his earthly life, and then he received comfort after his death.

I do think that however that plays out, it will all be "worth it" ... remember Paul said that the sufferings of this present life were not worthy to be compared to the glory that was coming. Because of this, our experience will be that He "makes up for" any loss. But exactly how that works out I cannot say.

Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What about the Christians living in ISIS. Persecuted, raped and executed. Their reaction shows how I believe God "makes up for it", by giving them a peace and love that surpasses understanding. I've read testimonies of them forgiving, preaching to and praying for their rapists during the act of it happening and others thanking Jesus for being with them before execution.

Scripture speaks a lot about heaven with things like the parable of the wedding banquet, but I dont think there will be any degree of making up for things in this life. To think there will be shows a lack of vision of what heaven is like. Living in the presence of God and His perfect love will be far greater than most people imagine. Just think, you will be able to enter the throne room of God and worship Him for as long as you want. There is also the question of the bride and 7 brothers where Jesus says it shows a lack of understanding. When you are in the presence of perfect love and peace beyond anything on this earth we dont need any more, he is fully sufficient.

So no, I dont think God makes up for it in heaven as there is no need to. I dont think its His character to judge differences in peoples lives, otherwise sin would not be straightforward and the bible would teach us about different levels of sin.

To think God needs to make up to people for a poor life by Western standards when there are people in the world who are starving and suffering severe persecution shows a lack of understanding and compassion for those worse off than yourself. There are probably billions of people worldwide who would be thankful for the life described. Learn to appreciate what you have rather than covet a better lifestyle. I know the sinful nature of the flesh desires worldly gain, but if you have a job in the west you are already one of the richest people in the world. I think its if you have a car, any car of any age in any condition, and have any spare change in your pocket you are one of the richest 10% in the world.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Shoot girl, most of that be about my life that you be describing!
My parents were dirt poor, dad died when I was a toddler, mom
struggling with many illnesses, an lost many jobs due to health issues...she have 3 children to see to. No car, very little to no money happening on a regular basis. It be a good thing that dad taught us how to farm, hunt and fish just as soon as we could walk and talk.
My aunties/uncles etc be all dead except two and they never came forward to be an aunty no how...just in name only....most of my people be the same way...relatives in name only.

Friends be few an far between most of my life...being poor and not having nice things to wear don't draw in the friends...school was very hard but we all graduated...thank the Lord, who saw us through all that!

I couldn't have children nor would I able to adopt either, I had a lot of responsibilities put off on me early in life. I worked long hours to keep bills paid and support my sick mom....my older siblings left home once they graduated...one brother sent financial support for a year and then he bowed out to do his on thing just like our older brother did.
God and the bible be faithful...saw me through many hard times.

I walked to work lots of times back then...church members drove right on by me M-F, then on Sunday they be acting like I'm family?...people please!
Then there was the bad first marriage to an unsaved man...my choice, because I believed my "associates/friends" that any man be better than no man...I found out how wrong that was!!!

Enough with all the bad... now here come the good stuff--- God, my long walk with HIm and His Word. I struggled with believing He was going to improve things...I went back and forth, believing, not believing. Then I got to where I believed what He promised and I walked in that until it manifested...I got there by reading what He done for others in the bible and in the lives of people who were long in they walks with the Lord. All that helped me see that God be faithful.

Others around me were cruel and would mock me, mock my faith in God, say I was lying about stuff, try to set me up for stealing etc. No matter what I kept focused on walking with the Lord and believing scripture and doing what it say to do.
I decided on being the best little caregiver ever, I worked hard, attended church, read my bible, prayed, helped others etc.

I was 35 when things in my life really started changing...better job came along at the nursing agency, I started making crazy money, my caregiving job continued but I would go on to being self employed as a CNA, no more agency.
It was hard going in the beginning... but in time me and my client became really great friends and she made up for those times she was a pain in the you know what lol!
I've lived, traveled, been around the wealthy/celebs, shopped at the best stores, had my time in social circles etc. However, that life was false and I didn't want it any more...I wasn't going to trade the Lord for "the world" and that's what it came down to in the end.
But none of that society life compares to the relationship I have with the Lord...it still blows my mind that the Lord, opened the doors for what some would call a lowly caregiver(me), who only graduated from high school and had only a scant bit of time at college to get certified to be a caregiver/CNA.
Nobody I went to school with saw me being anything other than another black woman barely scraping by in life.

Also, I have my own health issues... but I would meet a godly man who didn't see it as a hinderance or turn off... we'd go on an get married...when I married the second time, I was almost 37.
He'd been married before(he's older) and have 3 grown children who are married and were adding grandbabies to the family quicker that anything back then.

You see...A long time ago I use to joke a lot about having grandbabies first, who but God could pull that off? lol.

I purposed to live for the Lord no matter what.
I accept the good and the bad in life...I'm content in whatever circumstance. God's grace be sufficient.
Now, don't get me wrong, that don't mean I don't ever be sad, bitter, disappointed etc.... the thing is, I don't live in the house of sadness, bitterness, disappointment etc. I know it not good to give the devil room to mess with you...and believe me, he will mess with you if you go an live in the house of bitterness, disappointment etc.

Scripture for you:
Revelation 21:4
1 Corinthians 2:9
Revelation 22:1-5
Matthew 6:19-21
1 Timothy 6:17-19

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God will reward us for keeping Him first in our lives and staying faithful to him through any and all suffering. The more you have suffered in this context the greater your reward will be for eternity. This is even true in this life, but it may not be the kind of comfort you want (such as freedom from pain). It is a powerful avenue through which God transforms us more into Jesus' likeness. This means greater peace in our souls, inner strength—being patient is easier, and we acquire a deep, unshakable faith, satisfaction, and joy (and others, some of which are alluded to in Galatians 5:22-23).

Having said that, eternal life with Jesus will be greater than anyone is capable of imagining, even for those who have not suffered in this life much at all.

There are lots of tests to try to understand the condition of one's relationship with Jesus. One example (that doesn't work for everyone) is to examine whether your first response to conflict, pain, and worry is to ask Jesus for help and believe that he will indeed help. (This is a promise from Scripture.)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
God will reward us for keeping Him first in our lives and staying faithful to him through any and all suffering. The more you have suffered in this context the greater your reward will be for eternity. This is even true in this life, but it may not be the kind of comfort you want (such as freedom from pain). It is a powerful avenue through which God transforms us more into Jesus' likeness. This means greater peace in our souls, inner strength—being patient is easier, and we acquire a deep, unshakable faith, satisfaction, and joy (and others, some of which are alluded to in Galatians 5:22-23).

Very well said, especially that ^ part.

Having said that, eternal life with Jesus will be greater than anyone is capable of imagining, even for those who have not suffered in this life much at all.

There are lots of tests to try to understand the condition of one's relationship with Jesus. One example (that doesn't work for everyone) is to examine whether your first response to conflict, pain, and worry is to ask Jesus for help and believe that he will indeed help. (This is a promise from Scripture.)

Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

While I don't look at it as God "making up for it", the overall answer is yes. God is love, and whatever misfortune befalls us is a trail of preparation for the eternal life to come. We begin to shape our eternal lives with our response to the trial that engage us on Earth. Do we turn to our Father in faith in times of trouble, and rely on Him to provide the necessary strength? Or do we wrap ourselves in self-will and lose our humility, and often the point of the suffering? Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. Christian strength lies in weakness and humility. And it lies in our love for others. To love others as ourselves. Do we wallow in self-pity over our own sufferings, or do we offer it to the Lord as a sacrifice with a sincere wish that our suffering may be used by God to alleviate the sufferings of our neighbor?

The Christian life is a trial. The reward is enormous and permanent. The pearl of great price. For those who give all for Lord and neighbor, there is a special kind of joy even provided for us in THIS life. You want to see some people who are not depressed and full of worry? Go take a look at the nuns that were founded by St. Theresa of Calcutta in the deepest darkest cesspool of daily human suffering on earth. They know something that we first world moderns are almost deaf to. God is love. Those who live in love live in God and God lives in them. In this small transient life, and then forever, with out suffering in the life to come.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi all. I gave at Least a 'like' on all the posts so far, because they all show faith and courage in their own individual ways, and there's already a little something for everyone here, inspiration and encouragement to keep on, as well as the honesty that we all have struggles at times, with doubts, with pain, sadness etc., with sin even, .....

..... and, yes, if we're here talking about it on computers, it means we haven't 'arrived' yet, though all of us are at different stages of growth, faith, overcoming, or perhaps even slipping backward or 'being saved by faith' but 'feeling lost in life'.

It's a real blessing to be able to share with strangers who are brothers and sisters in Christ and be honest about these things and receive encouragement or perhaps even some conviction, as the Lord would have it, to set us or keep on His path, and know we can keep on striving into love because He first loved us and will never leave us or forsake us,

our sins are forgiven...paid for in Jesus' blood, He rose and our God is alive, He's coming again and His reward is with Him.

I don't really understand all that, but God doesn't owe me anything, and if I got what I deserved, .....wellll.....I don't even want to go there, but just knowing what Jesus' did for me, what God did, He gave His best when He gave us Jesus, He gave us His all, that's already reward in a sense.

Anything else is icing on the cake, gravy on the dinner, and yet He promises so much more still. Amazing grace from a wonderful God and Saviour!

I quoted the above portion from anothers' encouraging post because it struck me that perhaps that sentiment isn't expressed enough.

It might even be easy for some to see that if a person suffers much in this life, that person would be rewarded greater in heaven, .....(the story of the rich man and Lazarus comes to mind)..... but that can lead to a sort of performance/works/rewards based salvation if one is not careful of the context.

And it might even lead some to 'guilt-thinking' if they feel they haven't suffered or struggled 'enough' in this life.

So I'll quote it again here, for encouragement, and thank the one who first posted it (thanks Greg J.) and the rest of the good posts and the thoughtful question by the Opener.

(and apologize for the lengthy post, I tend to do that, I haven't quite learned the art of condensing my thoughts when trying to communicate) God bless you.

Reactions: Galatea
Upvote 0

ver 2-10

Dec 13, 2016
Denmark
✟23,003.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

Don't expect God to babysit 24/7, you must earn your blessings.

Upvote 0

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nope, it would be illogical that rapists, murderers etc, goes to Heaven.

Imo he gave salvation for the Original Sin, not for all future sins.
Ok. Wait....so you ARE including salvation in that? i.e. You are saying you must earn your salvation?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't expect God to babysit 24/7, you must earn your blessings.
Not true at all. In the midst of terrible struggle, sometimes all we can do and all we need to do is hold on. There is no way to earn any of God's blessings, because there is nothing good we can do on our own. Other than the kind gifts of God to us, we are evil and 100% fallen and cannot even make a miniscule payment to make up for our sins.

Referring to our Lord, Paul writes
... who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. ... (extracted from 2 Timothy 1:8-9, 1984 NIV)

Our heavenly Father treats us as a good father treats his beloved children. All we need to do is abide in him.

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (bold mine, John 15:4-5, 1984 NIV)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neatz

Dec 8, 2016
United States of America
✟12,885.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not true at all. In the midst of terrible struggle, sometimes all we can do and all we need to do is hold on. There is no way to earn any of God's blessings, because there is nothing good we can do on our own. Other than the kind gifts of God to us, we are evil and 100% fallen and cannot even make a miniscule payment to make up for our sins.

Referring to our Lord, Paul writes
... who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. ...time, (extracted from 2 Timothy 1:8-9, 1984 NIV)

Our heavenly Father treats us as a good father treats his beloved children. All we need to do is abide in him.

Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (bold mine, John 15:4-5, 1984 NIV)
Yes and even beyond that, no one can snatch us out of His Hand! :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

ver 2-10

Dec 13, 2016
Denmark
✟23,003.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Ok. Wait....so you ARE including salvation in that? i.e. You are saying you must earn your salvation?
Joan of Arc forbade gambling, prostetution, swearing etc, from the French troops and earned the victories from God! You have to be worthy of God's love!

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If you have a terrible life will God .....

'Make up for it'...

-------------------------------------------

Yes, if we continue in the faith (enduring to the end) and do not attempt to 'even the score' ourselves. but do as Peter said -

1 Peter 4:12-19

God is a God of compensation, and the compensation God will give to those who wait upon Him, for judgment and justice - is so great and enduring that those who have not suffered much unjustly in this life, when they see how God abundantly rewards those who have - they will wish they too would have suffered great injustice as well.

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you. <---> Matthew 5:10-12

See Also Luke 6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
What you bind on earth ,you bind in Heaven.
What you loose on earth ,you loose in Heaven.
God has given us all we will ever need here on earth to be victorious.
There is victory in Christ Jesus The name above all names.
To have a victory you must first have a war,just because no weapon formed against us will prosper doesn't mean the weapon is not coming.
We have to trust in God's Word and Walk by faith.
The schripture is true,I can do nothing but through Christ I can do all things.

Upvote 0