Aug 7, 2004
Watching you
✟19,946.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*breathes in*
I swear to God this is the last time I'm talking about rap here, ever. Because quite frankly, I'm getting sick of trying to convince everyone. I know that not everyone likes rap, and that's fine, go ahead and listen to what you want. But I am SICK AND TIRED of rock/metal/whatever fans acting like there cannot be a single rap song that can have meaning, and going around saying "rap fans are idiots lolol your not a true music fan if you listen to my music" I know not all rock fans are like this but a lot of them are. Did you ever notice that you never hear a lot of rap fans going around saying "lol rock sux lololololol!" If you look at my sig, you'll see that the last sentence applies so much here. It's all about opinion, and none of you realize that. Let's compare it to ice cream....how would you like it if I went up to you chocolate lovers and started screaming "VANILLA IS THE BEST LOL UR DUMB IF U DONT LIKE VANILLA"? Of course, you wouldnt like it. It's a childish thing to do. Just like saying one music type>another music type is childish because there is both good and bad stuff in EVERY genre. Yes, even rock. And rap. I challenge you rap haters to do ONE thing.....I've made a short list of good rap songs that actually have meaning, and are not just pointless drivel. I challenge you to AT LEAST listen to THREE songs off of this list:

Sing For The Moment - Eminem
I Used To Love Her - Common
It Was A Good Day - Ice Cube
Triumph - Wu Tang Clan
Dance With The Devil - Immortal Technique
BIBLE - GZA
Get By - Talib Kweli
Changes - Tupac
Lord Give Me A Sign - DMX
New York State Of Mind - Nas
Love Is - Common
Who's Da Man - Cross Movement
Put It On - Big L
Super Lyrical - Big Punisher
Respiration - Black Star
Hip Hop Lives - KRS ONE

Most of these songs can be found on the I-Tunes music store, so instead of being lazy, listen to some of these great tunes :)

and if you haterz STILL ain't convinced, here's some lyrics from some great hip hop songs....

I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies
and hypothesis can't define how I be droppin these
mockeries, lyrically perform armed robbery
Flee with the lottery, possibly they spotted me
Battle-scarred shogun, explosion when my pen hits
tremendous, ultra-violet shine blind forensics
I inspect you, through the future see millenium
Killa B's sold fifty gold sixty platinum
Shacklin the masses with drastic rap tactics
Graphic displays melt the steel like blacksmiths
Black Wu jackets queen B's ease the guns in
Rumble with patrolmen, tear gas laced the function
Heads by the score take flight incite a war
Chicks hit the floor, diehard fans demand more
Behold the bold soldier, control the globe slowly
Proceeds to blow swingin swords like Shinobi
Stomp grounds and pound footprints in solid rock
Wu got it locked, performin live on your hottest block

-first verse of Triumph by the Wu Tang Clan

These ideas are nightmares to white parents
Whose worst fear is a child with dyed hair and who likes earrings
Like whatever they say has no bearing, it's so scary in a house that allows
no swearing
To see him walking around with his headphones blaring
Alone in his own zone, cold and he don't care
He's a problem child
And what bothers him all comes out, when he talks about
His dad walkin' out
Cause he just hates him so bad that he blocks him out
If he ever saw him again he'd probably knock him out
His thoughts are whacked, he's mad so he's talkin' back
Talkin' black, brainwashed from rock and rap
He sags his pants, do-rags and a stocking cap
His step-father hit him, so he socked him back, and broke his nose
His house is a broken home, there's no control, he just let's his emotions
go.

-From Sing For The Moment by Eminem

Be, B-Boys and girls, listen again
This is for grown looking girls who's only ten
The ones who watch videos and do what they see
As cute as can be, up in the club with fake ID
Careful, 'fore you meet a man with HIV
You can host the TV like Oprah Winfrey
Whatever you decide, be careful, some men be
Rapists, so act your age, don't pretend to be
Older than you are, give yourself time to grow
You thinking he can give you wealth, but so
Young boys, you can use a lot of help, you know
You thinkin life's all about smokin weed and ice
You don't wanna be my age and can't read and write
Begging different women for a place to sleep at night
Smart boys turn to men and do whatever they wish
If you believe you can achieve, then say it like this

-From I Can by Nas

If anyone wants me to send me them songs, just PM me or get at me on MSN. If you've listened to all these songs and read everything, and still ain't impressed...well then I dunno what to tell you. But let me just say this...the phrase "rap is crap" is not a fact, it is an opinion (an ignorant one, but whatever). So don't listen to what other people say about hip hop without listening to it yourself. That's all I gotta say, love peace and chicken grease:wave:

Slim.

Aces High

Veteran
Jun 27, 2006
Sydney
✟17,627.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
*breathes in*
I swear to God this is the last time I'm talking about rap here, ever. Because quite frankly, I'm getting sick of trying to convince everyone. I know that not everyone likes rap, and that's fine, go ahead and listen to what you want. But I am SICK AND TIRED of rock/metal/whatever fans acting like there cannot be a single rap song that can have meaning, and going around saying "rap fans are idiots lolol your not a true music fan if you listen to my music" I know not all rock fans are like this but a lot of them are. Did you ever notice that you never hear a lot of rap fans going around saying "lol rock sux lololololol!" If you look at my sig, you'll see that the last sentence applies so much here. It's all about opinion, and none of you realize that. Let's compare it to ice cream....how would you like it if I went up to you chocolate lovers and started screaming "VANILLA IS THE BEST LOL UR DUMB IF U DONT LIKE VANILLA"? Of course, you wouldnt like it. It's a childish thing to do. Just like saying one music type>another music type is childish because there is both good and bad stuff in EVERY genre. Yes, even rock. And rap. I challenge you rap haters to do ONE thing.....I've made a short list of good rap songs that actually have meaning, and are not just pointless drivel. I challenge you to AT LEAST listen to THREE songs off of this list:

Triumph - Wu Tang Clan
BIBLE - GZA
Get By - Talib Kweli
Changes - Tupac
Love Is - Common
Put It On - Big L
Respiration - Black Star
Hip Hop Lives - KRS ONE

Most of these songs can be found on the I-Tunes music store, so instead of being lazy, listen to some of these great tunes :)

and if you haterz STILL ain't convinced, here's some lyrics from some great hip hop songs....

no swearing
He's a problem child
His dad walkin' out
go.

-From I Can by Nas

If anyone wants me to send me them songs, just PM me or get at me on MSN. If you've listened to all these songs and read everything, and still ain't impressed...well then I dunno what to tell you. But let me just say this...the phrase "rap is crap" is not a fact, it is an opinion (an ignorant one, but whatever). So don't listen to what other people say about hip hop without listening to it yourself. That's all I gotta say, love peace and chicken grease:wave:

Slim.
While I agree that rap does have some songs with beautiful meanings and etc bla bla, the majority of rap isn't like that, that's probably why people generalize, and is the generalization fair? Maybe, maybe not, most of what is on the radio or rap stations is just trash; lyrically, spiritually etc.

And if people hate it, let them, just listen to what you like.

Upvote 0

Dejeray

Feb 16, 2006
Canada, New Brinswick
Visit site
✟498.00
Faith
Agnostic
While I do agree with you that a lot of satanic death spewing evil worshipping blackened hearted frostbitten grimlord metalheads have a generally low appreciation for anything outside the walls of black or death metal, not every metal head is like that which I'm glad you acknowledged. Anyway, you have to realize that same logic does apply to a certain pourcentage of people who like hip hop/rap (most likely they have really terrible taste in the genre). I've heard on more than one occasion a certain "close mindlessness" if you will towards anything that uses "intolerable vocals that require no talent". This completely demeans the obvious years and years of practice to establish a tight display of musicianship and a recognizable sound. You can't blame all the world's disreagardence of diverseness in genres on metalheads. Just felt that needed to be stated.

For the record, I find an equal enjoyment in metal and hip hop though I'm still looking for some more hip hop that I can get into.

Now as far as recommended songs, I'd like to add one of my own:

Dead Prez - The Animal in Man

This song is a clever representation and summary of "Animal Farm", quote, " one of the most famous satirical allegories of Soviet totalitarianism. This is a prime example of how hip hop can be intelligent and politically aware.

Final note: It's just as ignorant to say that metal is incomprehendable grunting and musicians who can't play their instruments as it is to say that "rap is crap"

Reactions: moogoob
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2006
✟9,187.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Add "thugz mansion" by tupac, his musing on heaven in it are quite good, the song to the unborn child was good as well

Tupac and Eminem are in my opinion the only 2 acceptable rappers, with a couple of worthwhile songs, the others seem to fall into an inevitable sink of rapping the same basic things over and over with little variation or creativity ( in general I quite hate the music)

Upvote 0

edwardnortonfan

Jul 15, 2007
Big Rapids
Visit site
✟7,717.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't encounter many rock fans who have a bad attitude about rap, and I don't say it can't have meaning. What I'm tired of hearing is people saying that death metal or the other types of heavy music I listen to aren't really music. I get tired of anyone using that argument, it's elitist and stupid and immature.

Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2007
Minnesota
✟15,135.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
:wave: It annoys me when people shun the creative works of others without considering how their uniqueness is something that makes them enjoyable, not a reason to elminate them. That includes metal, rap, yodeling, and everything else that has facets worth respect.

I also love many rap songs. I feel that many artists in the genre work hard to achieve their sound. After all, it is difficult to write such lengthy lyrics and still maintain coherency. What's more, rappers can often experiment more with pacing, creating delightful and unpredictable results. The level of emotion and passion in their voices can feel so familiar sometimes; on certain days, it speaks to you more than a dreamy guitar. Quality rap music doesn't stay on one note, either; I adore listening to artists that have the ability to slide their words with the music, rapping a phrase in the space of a note instead of a single word. Fast, varied rapping: what a treat to the ears and the dancing body! What great beats! I do wish that some of the lyrics were cleaner, but I accept the challenge to find talented artists that do not offend my beliefs. I understand the frustration from those that love rap, hate it, or don't want to hear about it anymore, but I just wanted to share my opinions because so much of this genre is just not thought about thoroughly.:)
</IMG>

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I don't hate rap but personally I don't care for most of rap music even though I have enjoyed a few songs here and there. I wonder if they would call something music if I stood up and recited a poem like a robot to classical music? Would it be just what it is... music and a robot poem separate or would they be both inclusive in a song? The problem I have is lack of harmonious cohesiveness inherit in a lot of rap. without the lyrics or poetry a lot of rap becomes nothing, without the background beat and instruments it becomes a robotic poem and little to do with music.
When either can stand on its own and be seen as music then both together typical in harmony....definitely music.
just my 2 cents, enjoy what you like but remember Pavlov's dog on the lyric part... don't drool over the wrong stuff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rich48

Legend
Aug 3, 2004
✟68,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Saying rap isn't music is like saying blue isn't a color.

Sorry-but you are incorrect. Rap is NOT music--it is noise. There are no harmonies, no melodies, just constant repitition of junk lyrics.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
*breathes in*

Triumph - Wu Tang Clan
BIBLE - GZA
Get By - Talib Kweli
Changes - Tupac
Love Is - Common
Put It On - Big L
Respiration - Black Star
Hip Hop Lives - KRS ONE

no swearing
He's a problem child
His dad walkin' out
go.

-From I Can by Nas

Slim.

Gza? Wu-Tang? Nas? Amazing... :swoon: It's yummy and I love it. :)

Man, this is the worst messageboard to share your love for rap. Why? The majority of people on this site don't even listen to it. Or, all they hear is mainstream stuff, which slants their vision on it. And I'm saying this as one who's seen how many threads you've started proclaiming rap king, etc.. It seems as though many people don't share your interest in your genre of choice. Only thing you can do is introduce people to newer/better stuff, encouraging them to get out of their box once in awhile. Your recommendations here won't fall on deaf ears. I'm glad you've decided to help 'em out with a list. :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

antiarte

Jan 18, 2005
communist russia
✟3,812.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Engaged
Gza? Wu-Tang? Nas? Amazing... :swoon: It's yummy and I love it. :)
You don't say hi anymore, girl! :wave:

Sorry-but you are incorrect. Rap is NOT music--it is noise. There are no harmonies, no melodies, just constant repitition of junk lyrics.
:sigh: It's pointless to argue.

Oh, and Atlas Shrugged isn't literature, for the record.

Upvote 0

marduke

I am Me ;)
Feb 10, 2004
✟12,743.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
thats exactly how i feel about it. RnB is ok (i like some RnB stuff), but rap is just garbage to my ears, and yes ive tried to listen to the stuff mentioned but have to turn them off after about 20 secounds.
and please dont think i only listen to rock, because i love classical, blues, jazz, spanish guitar (flamenco) etc... its just rap has no place in my life and never will.

Reactions: amishparadise
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.