Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2012
China
✟39,601.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I view commentary on what happens after death as mostly pointless; we won't know until we die if there is anything or nothing. However, being an atheist doesn't mean that you don't believe in an afterlife. I believed in ghosts for a while. Being an atheist just means that you lack a belief in deities, no more, no less. As it stands, I don't have any perspective on what happens to us (all people, not just atheists) after we die. Maybe there's something, or maybe there's nothing. There isn't sufficient evidence for something, so I don't personally believe there is, but I nor anyone else will know with any certainty until we die.

Why I view a hellish afterlife as preferable to no afterlife at all is a matter of personal taste. I view experiences, even the horrible, as worth having over the absence of anything. Furthermore, I'd still have the memories I accumulated while I was alive, my personal imagination, etc. In all honesty, the afterlife I'd want the most wouldn't be all that different than being actually alive. Whether it be a lack of any strife, or constant punishment, afterlives like that would be boring. Balance is key to a fulfilling existence.

I must have confused the definition of atheist with materialist’s… I always thought you were the same, without doing studies. I see now. I’m wondering why don’t you believe the whole system itself, which causes all the supernatural, spiritual, mysterious, and weird worlds to run in principles, has consciousness and intelligence? Man as a being mainly made from protein and water can even think independently, it’s easily to reason that there’s an ultimate entity of consciousness and intelligence who’s controlling the whole system of every world accurately. Or we can view all the principles and scientific rules for the world to run are instructions and regulations sent by the ultimate entity itself. Perhaps all the principles, rules, materials, energies , space and whatsoever things are elements that constitute its body and spirit( much more superior than a small pile of protein and limited energy field).

Why such an unlimited intelligent universe was able to be established and evolved from nihility and void? There must be some motive power to drive things to act this way. And what about the ways? Who set the scientific rules to let all the things obey? The great project is countless times more intelligent than human mentality can reach. Why couldn’t we say it’s a masterpiece created by a super intelligence? Why couldn’t we call it God to represent our paramount respect and gratitude?

As for the evidence, there may not no evidence shown to you, but it’s possible that you can‘t notice the evidence due to the limitation of you sensation and intelligence. In my opinion, it’s not that God doesn’t tell us everything clearly and maintain the mystery, but we ourselves aren’t able to understand numerous things with our human mentality and sensation. Let’s assume all Jesus Christ said were true, but you can’t prove the truths under current science, and God can’t refer it more clearly to you due to your limit of understanding capacity. If you don’t accept God’s teach and guide and Jesus’ salvation, because you can’t prove those are true with your limited science system, won’t you regret it after everything’s too late?

Certainly in such a situation, spiritual inspiration and personal taste of what’s better to experience are decisive. According to common materialism viewpoints, a person arises on earth randomly and lives a short life, then become dust. As you mean, that’s the worst path for an atheist to prepare to accept. For you even if Christian worldview is true, you will be no more than being thrown to hell. As long as you still have the consciousness and live a life, you don’t care how painful, sorrow, disrespected, degrading and so on you must afford. That’s ok for the punishment in hell then. You can still be grateful to God’s mercy by then. That’s nice!

However, you must notice another kind of people. They’re very narrow minded and show much weaker psychological endurance. They can easily be collapse toward bitterness in the life on earth and even commit suicide for that, let alone a permanent life full of hellish torments…Many people having committed suicides were materialists, who believed they’d lose any consciousness after death, as if they would have an eternity of dreamless sleep, but they regarded this kind of void as being peaceful compared to what they were undergoing in their daily life. So I guess a life in hell can be the utmost scary thing for that kind of people. So, yeah, what’s preferable, nihility or hell, the answer’s really up to personal tastes.

Upvote 0

Strivax

Pilgrim on another way
Site Supporter
May 28, 2014
In contemplation
✟112,390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is one reason why I'm doubting so heavily. Hell is a monstrous, horrible, unjust, evil concept.

So, Hell is a concept of humans created by humans to keep other humans in line. It has nothing to do with God, who is infinitely good, and loves us all, saint and sinner alike.

And yet, justice demands the evil are punished for their sins, proportionate to them. Even before they committed their crimes, they were forgiven them. But before they can be redeemed, the evil have to confront, confess, repent, and atone for those sins, or they cannot be saved, however much God desires that reconciliation...

Seems to me Hell is that place, separated from God, where people go who are not yet ready to reconcile with God. Our Hells are of our making; God will accept us all, when we have befitted ourselves for His presence.

Best wishes Strivax

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I must have confused the definition of atheist with materialist’s… I always thought you were the same, without doing studies. I see now. I’m wondering why don’t you believe the whole system itself, which causes all the supernatural, spiritual, mysterious, and weird worlds to run in principles, has consciousness and intelligence?
I used to believe in ghosts, note the past tense on that. However, it all comes down to this: anything deemed supernatural is a phenomenon that simply isn't understood. That means it is only currently beyond naturalistic explanation with a degree of certainty. Even if a deity was found to be the core cause of, say, ghosts and whatnot, that would render all of that no longer "supernatural" and simply "natural". In summary, the "supernatural" label only applies to items which we aren't sure about being a part of our world or not. There's nothing about them which defies ever having an entirely naturalistic explanation. Since supernatural phenomena don't even demonstrably exist, pondering causes that aren't about disproving them is jumping the gun. It's like trying to explain the cause of an event that may not have even happened; you're better off demonstrating that the event happened first.

Man as a being mainly made from protein and water can even think independently, it’s easily to reason that there’s an ultimate entity of consciousness and intelligence who’s controlling the whole system of every world accurately.
Without evidence for such a being, there is no reason to make that conclusion. Our consciousness and intelligence are easily measurable on a physical level, as are their origins and functions. They aren't supernatural, so not only is attempting a supernatural explanation pointless, but we already have those items explained. By the way, calling anything supernatural is an admission that you don't know how it works, not an explanation of anything. By definition, something supernatural has to be without explanation, the supernatural cannot be the explanation.

Or we can view all the principles and scientific rules for the world to run are instructions and regulations sent by the ultimate entity itself.
Sure, people can believe that all they like, if they want. However, without evidence for the existence of an "ultimate entity", applying potential roles such a being would play in the universe is speculation at best. Perhaps there is an ultimate entity, but without evaluating it first, making statements about what this being does is just a shot in the dark.

Perhaps all the principles, rules, materials, energies , space and whatsoever things are elements that constitute its body and spirit( much more superior than a small pile of protein and limited energy field).
We could be ribosomes in a giant universe frog, but what would that mean for our existence exactly? What does it mean for an individual cell in our bodies, or an organelle inside a single cell, to be a part of a larger organism? Well, spiritually, absolutely nothing. In fact, it would make direct contact with the whole of the universe's consciousness pretty much impossible, since we are but a speck of it (at most) and are bound inside it. Every day, thousands of your cells die, some of which are ones that contribute to your consciousness (your brain). Do you personally even notice it, let alone recognize the individual cells that die and all those contributions they made to you during their lifespan? Probably not.

Why such an unlimited intelligent universe was able to be established and evolved from nihility and void?
Well, there are plenty of aspects of our universe I wouldn't consider intelligent, and there is no evidence for the universe as a whole having a consciousness. As to how our universe came to be, we don't know. We might never know. Doesn't mean a deity must be responsible.

There must be some motive power to drive things to act this way.
Ha, nope. Do you think fire feels "motivated" to burn or to go out? The "laws" of the universe are just aspects of it we have found to be consistent enough to make rules for, like gravity. There is plenty in the universe that is mostly random.

And what about the ways? Who set the scientific rules to let all the things obey? The great project is countless times more intelligent than human mentality can reach.
Uh, the "scientific rules" are something we came up with, not some inherent part of the universe. In fact, they are generalizations, there are plenty of wonky things in the universe that don't fit in the perfect little boxes WE DESIGNED to help in our understanding of the universe. Even math as a system is not perfect.

Why couldn’t we say it’s a masterpiece created by a super intelligence? Why couldn’t we call it God to represent our paramount respect and gratitude?
You could call such a being "god" if you wanted to. Gotta find the being first, though.

As for the evidence, there may not no evidence shown to you, but it’s possible that you can‘t notice the evidence due to the limitation of you sensation and intelligence.
Sure, there could be purple fairies that poke me nonstop every day since the day I was born, and if my senses are too limited to see it, and no machine could detect it, I'd never know. That doesn't make assuming their presence in any way logical.

In my opinion, it’s not that God doesn’t tell us everything clearly and maintain the mystery, but we ourselves aren’t able to understand numerous things with our human mentality and sensation. Let’s assume all Jesus Christ said were true, but you can’t prove the truths under current science, and God can’t refer it more clearly to you due to your limit of understanding capacity. If you don’t accept God’s teach and guide and Jesus’ salvation, because you can’t prove those are true with your limited science system, won’t you regret it after everything’s too late?
I can't force myself to believe something just because I want to believe it. Nearly 9 years of being a seeker has shown me that. How can I regret an aspect of myself that isn't even my choice? Should I waste time lamenting my fear of heights as well? Additionally, there are so many possibilities, such as deities existing but they have no direct influence on us before or after we die, that there is an afterlife but no deity behind it, and so many others. The "true religion" is more liable to be one that has never existed and never will exist than being yours. For your belief, you have to assume at least 1 deity exists, assume an afterlife also exists, and assume that personal belief even matters when it comes to the afterlife, at a minimum. That's a lot of assumptions. I don't even assume deities do or don't exist, I just make the honest statement that I haven't been exposed to a sufficient amount of evidence to make me believe that they do.

Certainly in such a situation, spiritual inspiration and personal taste of what’s better to experience are decisive.
Those can certainly impact how easy it is for someone to believe something, but wanting it doesn't make you believe it. I'd much rather the sky be purple and silver than blue, but the fact that I can see the sky actively prevents me from deluding myself, even if I try. Basically, you can't force yourself to believe anything if your minimum standards of evidence have failed to be met. Otherwise, you are just willfully lying to yourself, and you'll be aware that you are doing it and not actually believing the whole time.

According to common materialism viewpoints, a person arises on earth randomly and lives a short life, then become dust. As you mean, that’s the worst path for an atheist to prepare to accept. For you even if Christian worldview is true, you will be no more than being thrown to hell. As long as you still have the consciousness and live a life, you don’t care how painful, sorrow, disrespected, degrading and so on you must afford. That’s ok for the punishment in hell then. You can still be grateful to God’s mercy by then. That’s nice!
I wouldn't call an existence of eternal torment over not existing at all a "mercy" when there are alternatives, but I would appreciate continuing to exist. That doesn't mean I actually believe in an afterlife, though I used to (ghosts). I just really, really hope that there is one. It's like if I bought a lottery ticket; I wouldn't think my chances of winning were very good, but I'd know that it was possible. I certainly wouldn't buy a big fancy house in anticipation of winning.

However, you must notice another kind of people. They’re very narrow minded and show much weaker psychological endurance. They can easily be collapse toward bitterness in the life on earth and even commit suicide for that, let alone a permanent life full of hellish torments…Many people having committed suicides were materialists, who believed they’d lose any consciousness after death, as if they would have an eternity of dreamless sleep, but they regarded this kind of void as being peaceful compared to what they were undergoing in their daily life.
Actually, my fear of nonexistence is what has kept me alive. I used to be extremely suicidal, and even now I experience a sort of depressive remission from time to time. What always stalled my hand was never how I would hurt others, or any feelings of self worth, but fear. If I had believed in any afterlife with any degree of certainty when I was at my worst, I would have killed myself years ago. It's because I find more value in suffering than nothing at all that I am still alive.

While religion is connected to lower suicide rates, it isn't necessarily just believing that is the reason behind it. Being actively religious encourages forming more social groups, and gives more attention to discouraging the practice. You can accomplish the same thing by having a group of friends with the same hobby and being taught suicide is wrong as a kid.

So I guess a life in hell can be the utmost scary thing for that kind of people. So, yeah, what’s preferable, nihility or hell, the answer’s really up to personal tastes.
Nihilism and not existing after death are different things. Plenty of people that don't believe in the afterlife find their lives to be plenty meaningful and worthwhile. Just not that our lives make a huge, lasting impact on the universe as a whole. For plenty of people, that's more than enough to not view life as entirely meaningless and pointless (which is what a nihilist would think).

Personally, I wouldn't view life as very valuable if I believed in an afterlife. Who cares if a baby dies if they end up in a better place when they do? Who cares if grandma dies if she'll be waiting for you in heaven? It makes death more like a person moving to a different country that you'll eventually move to as well.

Upvote 0

Dave RP

Jun 9, 2015
London
✟63,350.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I must have confused the definition of atheist with materialist’s… I always thought you were the same, without doing studies. I see now. I’m wondering why don’t you believe the whole system itself, which causes all the supernatural, spiritual, mysterious, and weird worlds to run in principles, has consciousness and intelligence? Man as a being mainly made from protein and water can even think independently, it’s easily to reason that there’s an ultimate entity of consciousness and intelligence who’s controlling the whole system of every world accurately. Or we can view all the principles and scientific rules for the world to run are instructions and regulations sent by the ultimate entity itself. Perhaps all the principles, rules, materials, energies , space and whatsoever things are elements that constitute its body and spirit( much more superior than a small pile of protein and limited energy field).

Why such an unlimited intelligent universe was able to be established and evolved from nihility and void? There must be some motive power to drive things to act this way. And what about the ways? Who set the scientific rules to let all the things obey? The great project is countless times more intelligent than human mentality can reach. Why couldn’t we say it’s a masterpiece created by a super intelligence? Why couldn’t we call it God to represent our paramount respect and gratitude?

As for the evidence, there may not no evidence shown to you, but it’s possible that you can‘t notice the evidence due to the limitation of you sensation and intelligence. In my opinion, it’s not that God doesn’t tell us everything clearly and maintain the mystery, but we ourselves aren’t able to understand numerous things with our human mentality and sensation. Let’s assume all Jesus Christ said were true, but you can’t prove the truths under current science, and God can’t refer it more clearly to you due to your limit of understanding capacity. If you don’t accept God’s teach and guide and Jesus’ salvation, because you can’t prove those are true with your limited science system, won’t you regret it after everything’s too late?

Certainly in such a situation, spiritual inspiration and personal taste of what’s better to experience are decisive. According to common materialism viewpoints, a person arises on earth randomly and lives a short life, then become dust. As you mean, that’s the worst path for an atheist to prepare to accept. For you even if Christian worldview is true, you will be no more than being thrown to hell. As long as you still have the consciousness and live a life, you don’t care how painful, sorrow, disrespected, degrading and so on you must afford. That’s ok for the punishment in hell then. You can still be grateful to God’s mercy by then. That’s nice!

However, you must notice another kind of people. They’re very narrow minded and show much weaker psychological endurance. They can easily be collapse toward bitterness in the life on earth and even commit suicide for that, let alone a permanent life full of hellish torments…Many people having committed suicides were materialists, who believed they’d lose any consciousness after death, as if they would have an eternity of dreamless sleep, but they regarded this kind of void as being peaceful compared to what they were undergoing in their daily life. So I guess a life in hell can be the utmost scary thing for that kind of people. So, yeah, what’s preferable, nihility or hell, the answer’s really up to personal tastes.

I always get stuck on one question - who or what made God? An all encompassing entity that survives without a physical body, without sustenance and who can't be seen, felt or touched yet can just "think" things into existence. Personally I just don't believe that's possible. just my opinion.

Upvote 0

TruthSeekerNSF

Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2012
China
✟39,601.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to believe in ghosts, note the past tense on that. However, it all comes down to this: anything deemed supernatural is a phenomenon that simply isn't understood. That means it is only currently beyond naturalistic explanation with a degree of certainty. Even if a deity was found to be the core cause of, say, ghosts and whatnot, that would render all of that no longer "supernatural" and simply "natural". In summary, the "supernatural" label only applies to items which we aren't sure about being a part of our world or not. There's nothing about them which defies ever having an entirely naturalistic explanation. Since supernatural phenomena don't even demonstrably exist, pondering causes that aren't about disproving them is jumping the gun. It's like trying to explain the cause of an event that may not have even happened; you're better off demonstrating that the event happened first.

You should still believe in ghosts. Ghosts do exist. There’re many witnesses encountered it every now and then all over the world. I agree with you on your definition of supernatural. However there are always unsolved mysteries happening here and there, including ghosts. They are qualified to be named with “ supernatural phenomena” . Supernatural phenomena do exist, but we don’t know principles behind them. Pondering causes of them is not jumping the gun, but seeking progress.

Sometimes we need to follow a tendency to imagine a clue, whenever we don’t find evidence supporting its true state. Many scientists relied on their imaginations at the very beginning of founding a theory, finding a scientific law or inventing some devices or new things. Our science is still too limited and weak. It seems there are infinite unknown things waiting mankind to discover. Since perfection doesn’t exist in the flawed world caused by our sins, I doubt we would be able to discover them entirely. Every new law or theory discovered was ever supernatural things for humans before. Yet if you hadn’t explored them with vastly pondering and reasoning, you wouldn’t have found them.

As for the two items of “happening” and “evidence”, there’re some simple similarities in our ordinary life.

a. There is a drawing on a paper. If a person’s congenitally blind, you can’t persuade him that the drawing is made and how it looks like, what colors are in it and so forth. For him, persisting on inexistence of the drawing is his personal taste and correct, and you’re not able to show him more evidence, should you agree with him and tell the world that the drawing’s not existing?

b. There’s a music being played. If a person’s congenitally deaf, you can’t persuade him that the music is composed and how it sounds like. For him, persisting on inexistence of the music is his personal taste and correct, and you’re unable to show him more evidence backing it, should you agree with him and announce to the world that the music’s not existing?

c. In a primitive tribe, there are broadcasting through a channel of frequency modulation in the air and data from internet via wifi in the air. People don’t have a radio to receive the FM signal and a smart phone etc. to use the wifi. If your devices are all broken, so you can’t persuade them to believe existence of those things, should you admit the radio broadcasting and the data of internet are lies?

Without evidence for such a being, there is no reason to make that conclusion. Our consciousness and intelligence are easily measurable on a physical level, as are their origins and functions. They aren't supernatural, so not only is attempting a supernatural explanation pointless, but we already have those items explained. By the way, calling anything supernatural is an admission that you don't know how it works, not an explanation of anything. By definition, something supernatural has to be without explanation, the supernatural cannot be the explanation.

Mathematical, physical, chemical laws can’t be created, and all of them were just discovered by people. All the inventions and technologies we’re utilizing in every realm were brought to existence by the inventors and founders based on discovered scientific laws and already-existing matters and energies, adding all the dimensions already sensed and discovered by calculating and reasoning and the concept of hyperspace. No man has created anything from nihility up to now. Aren’t all the known science system too complex, accurate and smart enough to existing by chances? If there isn’t a creator who arranged all of them, why can they function and interact so logically? Besides, our science is just a tiny corner of the logical system. There are far more laws and existing things of the universe we humans haven’t known or even haven’t contacted. Why can’t we reason and conclude that all those things inside the infinite logical system as a whole has incredibly greater intelligence?

We could say a computer program intelligent, we could say a smart mobile phone intelligent. There is already artificial intelligence that may evolve consciousness out soon. However, without the inventors’ and technicians’ works, do you expect them to be born by natural chances? Let alone human brains are far more complex than these. There’s a great blind zone in brain science. Scientists still don’t know a lot on human brain. The blind zone has been without explanation, and it should be an admission scientists don’t know how it works. It’s qualified being supernatural, isn’t it? Furthermore, the functioning of the universe itself, macro or micro, are far more complex than human brains. No inventor and technician for that?

We could be ribosomes in a giant universe frog, but what would that mean for our existence exactly? What does it mean for an individual cell in our bodies, or an organelle inside a single cell, to be a part of a larger organism? Well, spiritually, absolutely nothing. In fact, it would make direct contact with the whole of the universe's consciousness pretty much impossible, since we are but a speck of it (at most) and are bound inside it. Every day, thousands of your cells die, some of which are ones that contribute to your consciousness (your brain). Do you personally even notice it, let alone recognize the individual cells that die and all those contributions they made to you during their lifespan? Probably not.

Well, there are plenty of aspects of our universe I wouldn't consider intelligent, and there is no evidence for the universe as a whole having a consciousness. As to how our universe came to be, we don't know. We might never know. Doesn't mean a deity must be responsible.

No. I disagree. In this simile, you assume the ultimate entity’s intelligent and controlling power are similar to human’s too. As I said above, human intelligence, sensations, comprehension etc. are too weak to compare to the ultimate entiy’s. Ours are so limited that could be negligible.

Don’t neglect the merits of a single cell or a single structure in side a cell. They just feels extremely tiny to the gigantic whole body of you, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t important in the micro scale. Every disease, disability or even death of a man is caused by lots of his/her cells having problem or dead. If a cancer sell survives killing of a person’s immune system, it can grow to be a lethal organization and destroy the person as a result.

For a person, many functions of his body cells aren’t under control by his will deliberately. Most of the activities of body cells or body tissues are controlled by vegetative nerves, brainstem or cerebellum unconsciously or subconsciously. That’s the main reason why you can’t communicate and respect every cell of you. The relationship between a person’s body cells and his/her consciousness are too primitive to compare to the ultimate entity of all worlds. Once you’re able to do so, that will be a kind of supernatural power.

We’re restricted in 3.5 dimensions( we’re passive in time dimension and we can’t control it). However, a dozen of dimensions has been proved existing, yet we’re not able to sense them let alone control them, while we’re just right within them. Scientists do expect to discover more and more dimensions following this trendency. In many scientific concepts, predictions or novels (many depictions of which became prototypes of modern theories or inventions), some people can command their body cells to cast magic-like supernatural powers. There’re numerous types of supernatural powers that can almost break every current limit of human body to change or control things. They can have sixth sense, seventh sense, eighth sense, and so on, continuing to add up. They can receive more signals you think inexistent increasingly. Those will be like your body parts, besides your brain, become more and more intelligent, and your cells become more intelligent and able to communicate and have more functions. The trend can go on until your cells have independent consciousness and free will, by then the relationship becomes nearer between mankind and the ultimate entity. By now, imagine that the ultimate entity has no limit at doing anything, except for those he thinks they’re bad to do and would break some good balances. And time won’t bother him, so he can achieve anything instantly. Every happenings in past and future are right before him at any moment. He also surpasses any limitation of the dozen of dimensions we found and surpasses any limitation of the other dimensions we haven’t detected yet.

How about everything’s shapes and appearances? And the common sense of aesthetics backing them? Also, there’s the common sense of aesthetics in musics. We all know what melody and rhythm are fine, and what are harsh and disgusting. And there are triggers to different emotions inside arts and musics, and we all have common senses to them respectively. Without careful and accurate designs, how can all of those appear to be in an united, tremendous logical system? Does such a logical system still not count to be intelligent? Or at least I’d say they came from a great intelligence.

Bible has lots of evidence of God’s existence, his interactions with mankind and his words and inspirations to teach and guide mankind. We can’t created anything. We would only learn and utilize what God has created to build our science and better our lifes. God is the creator of all the basic elements and laws of all worlds, humans are one of the creations of him.

Why do some things have their burning points? Why do some things have their melting points, and some also have their sublimation points? Why are gravity related to substances’ masses? You know the values existing, but you can’t modify them. You can invent a new material, but you can’t set its attributes of corresponded value. The corresponded value will be distributed automatically according to the existing physical law assigned by God.

Actually, my fear of nonexistence is what has kept me alive. I used to be extremely suicidal, and even now I experience a sort of depressive remission from time to time. What always stalled my hand was never how I would hurt others, or any feelings of self worth, but fear. If I had believed in any afterlife with any degree of certainty when I was at my worst, I would have killed myself years ago. It's because I find more value in suffering than nothing at all that I am still alive.

While religion is connected to lower suicide rates, it isn't necessarily just believing that is the reason behind it. Being actively religious encourages forming more social groups, and gives more attention to discouraging the practice. You can accomplish the same thing by having a group of friends with the same hobby and being taught suicide is wrong as a kid.

Nihilism and not existing after death are different things. Plenty of people that don't believe in the afterlife find their lives to be plenty meaningful and worthwhile. Just not that our lives make a huge, lasting impact on the universe as a whole. For plenty of people, that's more than enough to not view life as entirely meaningless and pointless (which is what a nihilist would think).

I’m sorry to hear your mental encounters. The religions you referred to were those heresies that promote people to suicide. Demons are preying relying on those traps.

Christians aren’t allowed to do that. A group of friends without correct worldviews and faith may boost some members to commit suicide. Many suicides are caused by bad relationships and bad treats from others. People should get true faith that refers to the principles of our worlds correctly.

Materialists tend to take care of themselves the best. The extremes of them may do anything that’s beneficial for themselves as long as it won’t cause a danger imperiling their lives to some serious extent. They can cherish their every enjoyment to some sick degree. Nevertheless they can be extremely indifferent to other people’s lives, pains or enjoyments, unless they need those people’s supports or helps. Some of them can risk others’ health or sacrifice others’ lives to bring themselves profits even with no guilty. I evidenced a few of those guys around in person or by news.

How can I regret an aspect of myself that isn't even my choice? Should I waste time lamenting my fear of heights as well?

Worrying about my future kid's height

In this thread of mine, the main point is as a future father, I’m trying to make sure whether I’ll be possibly to take extra troubles to my kid/kids. That’s out of a father’s responsibility, isn’t it? Even if I can’t avoid it, I must find a solution as early as possible to reduce the loss to the least. I didn’t say my height is already bad enough, and mine(192cm, about 6’4”) was acceptable and is better now( Average heights for youngsters having increased in my area). But for the places that have poor economics, low educated residents, who’re shallow, rude, blindly arrogant and self-centered, they tend to find ways to slash your dignity by any means, in order to appear your status is lower than them… As if they even enslaved you on their mind… Their aims would be any weaknesses on you that they can laugh at, look down upon or discriminate upon. Excessive tallness could easily be the target. If I should have a boy over 6’5” tall or a girl over 6' tall, I’m not kidding that I would have to take care of them with lots of extra efforts. The difficulty would become quite higher!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TruthSeekerNSF

Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2012
China
✟39,601.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
I always get stuck on one question - who or what made God? An all encompassing entity that survives without a physical body, without sustenance and who can't be seen, felt or touched yet can just "think" things into existence. Personally I just don't believe that's possible. just my opinion.

God has existed beyond any measurement. He's beyond time. He's always been existent from eternal past to eternal future. As humans, we should lower our self-esteem towards God and admit our limitations, inabilities and inperfection.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You should still believe in ghosts. Ghosts do exist. There’re many witnesses encountered it every now and then all over the world.

I need to jump in right at this point. The problem is that people claim to have an experience and think it was a ghost. My objection would be how did they confirm that it was indeed a ghost and not something else?

Mathematical, physical, chemical laws can’t be created, and all of them were just discovered by people.

Scientific laws are descriptive and not prescriptive. Scientific laws just describe how thew universe works.

There’s a great blind zone in brain science. Scientists still don’t know a lot on human brain. The blind zone has been without explanation, and it should be an admission scientists don’t know how it works. It’s qualified being supernatural, isn’t it?

So everything we don't know yet is labeled "supernatural"? That's just nonsense. Usually when people talk about the "supernatural" they mean something that is not part of nature.

Bible has lots of evidence of God’s existence, his interactions with mankind and his words and inspirations to teach and guide mankind.

The Bible contains unfounded claims, nothing more. WIth your reasoning every holy book in existence is evidence for its respective god or gods.

God is the creator of all the basic elements and laws of all worlds, humans are one of the creations of him

That claim needs to be justified with evidence.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan
Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If there were no Hell, if you chose not to accept Christ as Savior and the only punishment was living your 80 some odd years, dying, and losing all consciousness, basically you just took a "dirt nap" for eternity when you died, would you STILL become a Christian?

Well I don't consider myself a Christian. But I do want to follow Christ as a result of hell.

I will admit I would live a lifestyle of debauchery and sin if I didn't have to worry about the consequences of Eternal death.

I still sin. But my goal is to have victory over my sin before I die, and to die with Christ as my Lord and Savior. And to die with my sins completely forgiven.

But I will never consider myself a Christian or become a part of any Christian Community.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well I don't consider myself a Christian. But I do want to follow Christ as a result of hell.

I will admit I would live a lifestyle of debauchery and sin if I didn't have to worry about the consequences of Eternal death.

I still sin. But my goal is to have victory over my sin before I die, and to die with Christ as my Lord and Savior. And to die with my sins completely forgiven.

But I will never consider myself a Christian or become a part of any Christian Community.
The one problem with following a particular belief system in the hopes of avoiding their version of hell is that there's more than one belief system that claims to have one.

For example, if it turns out Islam is the One True Religion™, then I'm going to be in a heap of trouble. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The one problem with following a particular belief system in the hopes of avoiding their version of hell is that there's more than one belief system that claims to have one.

For example, if it turns out Islam is the One True Religion™, then I'm going to be in a heap of trouble. :)

I get what you are saying.

I believe, though, that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. I believe that it is the gospel of Jesus that has the power to save us; transforming us into his likeness.

I won't try to convince anyone to believe what I believe however. I have my reasons why I believe this.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
You should still believe in ghosts. Ghosts do exist. There’re many witnesses encountered it every now and then all over the world. I agree with you on your definition of supernatural. However there are always unsolved mysteries happening here and there, including ghosts. They are qualified to be named with “ supernatural phenomena” . Supernatural phenomena do exist, but we don’t know principles behind them. Pondering causes of them is not jumping the gun, but seeking progress.
There are supernatural events as much as there are events that we do not understand. However, if there was any certainty that the events existed, they wouldn't be considered supernatural. Furthermore, let's assume ghosts do exist, but that they aren't some remnants of the minds of the dead, but rather are a product of places where the divide between our dimension and another is weaker, or something else such as that. They would exist, yet not be the deceased. I do believe that people are experiencing something when it comes to ghosts, though I know not what, could be a product of paranoia and a variety of other things. I just don't believe that ghosts are anything specific; certainly not the deceased.

Sometimes we need to follow a tendency to imagine a clue, whenever we don’t find evidence supporting its true state. Many scientists relied on their imaginations at the very beginning of founding a theory, finding a scientific law or inventing some devices or new things. Our science is still too limited and weak. It seems there are infinite unknown things waiting mankind to discover. Since perfection doesn’t exist in the flawed world caused by our sins, I doubt we would be able to discover them entirely. Every new law or theory discovered was ever supernatural things for humans before. Yet if you hadn’t explored them with vastly pondering and reasoning, you wouldn’t have found them.
No, laws and theories are human constructs. We do not "discover" them, as if they are an inherent part of the universe. We ourselves produce them. Theories and laws in science are tools by which we understand the world around us better, not actually items that are a part of the universe. The fact that said theories and laws are imperfect at their job and don't always represent the universe very well is evidence enough of that.

As for the two items of “happening” and “evidence”, there’re some simple similarities in our ordinary life.

a. There is a drawing on a paper. If a person’s congenitally blind, you can’t persuade him that the drawing is made and how it looks like, what colors are in it and so forth. For him, persisting on inexistence of the drawing is his personal taste and correct, and you’re not able to show him more evidence, should you agree with him and tell the world that the drawing’s not existing?
You must not have touched paper very much; it feels different in spots that are drawn on versus parts that aren't, especially if you use crayon. Furthermore, we use machines to expand beyond the limits of our senses, and there are plenty that objectively detect color and patterns.

b. There’s a music being played. If a person’s congenitally deaf, you can’t persuade him that the music is composed and how it sounds like. For him, persisting on inexistence of the music is his personal taste and correct, and you’re unable to show him more evidence backing it, should you agree with him and announce to the world that the music’s not existing?
Deaf people can still detect sound, because you can feel the vibrations. They might not hear it the same way, but they can usually tell the beat of it, and how low or high pitched it is. How do you think Helen Keller, a woman who was both blind and deaf, learned how to speak if she could not make any distinctions concerning sound?

c. In a primitive tribe, there are broadcasting through a channel of frequency modulation in the air and data from internet via wifi in the air. People don’t have a radio to receive the FM signal and a smart phone etc. to use the wifi. If your devices are all broken, so you can’t persuade them to believe existence of those things, should you admit the radio broadcasting and the data of internet are lies?
Bring them to the technology if you can't bring it to them. There are ways to demonstrate that it exists, and honestly, they should NEVER believe you on your word alone. Think of all the crazy lies you could mix into the truth, or how inaccurate your own understanding could be. Just trusting someone to observe on your behalf alone is foolish.

Mathematical, physical, chemical laws can’t be created, and all of them were just discovered by people.
Made by people, they have inventors for crying out loud. Ever heard of Pythagoras? He invented the equations and rules by which right triangles are measured. Prior to him, people did not have standardized equations for that, but they still measured the sides of triangles, it just wasn't as efficient.

All the inventions and technologies we’re utilizing in every realm were brought to existence by the inventors and founders based on discovered scientific laws and already-existing matters and energies, adding all the dimensions already sensed and discovered by calculating and reasoning and the concept of hyperspace. No man has created anything from nihility up to now.
-_- we base scientific laws and theories upon observations, of course they aren't based upon nothing. However, that doesn't mean that there is a single law or theory that WE as a species have made that perfectly represents reality. In case you haven't noticed, theories and laws have CHANGED over time as our understanding of the universe has grown. The universe itself hasn't changed, but our understanding of it has.

Aren’t all the known science system too complex, accurate and smart enough to existing by chances?
-_- they don't exist by chance, we make them, we know we make them, and if our universe was entirely inconsistent and without pattern, it wouldn't be a universe in which life could develop. Consistency is not an argument for design (not to suggest that the universe is perfectly consistent to begin with, but it is in a general sense mostly consistent).

If there isn’t a creator who arranged all of them, why can they function and interact so logically?
-_- they don't. What makes a black hole logical, exactly? Why would a designer put them in a universe, or make a universe that produces them? Why is the majority of the matter in the universe dark matter that doesn't compose living organisms?

Besides, our science is just a tiny corner of the logical system. There are far more laws and existing things of the universe we humans haven’t known or even haven’t contacted.
There are laws and theories that will be devised in the future, but again, we make those, they aren't out there for us to find through a telescope, but rather an extension of our observations.

Why can’t we reason and conclude that all those things inside the infinite logical system as a whole has incredibly greater intelligence?
Lack of evidence for it.

We could say a computer program intelligent, we could say a smart mobile phone intelligent. There is already artificial intelligence that may evolve consciousness out soon. However, without the inventors’ and technicians’ works, do you expect them to be born by natural chances?
Irrelevant comparison; machines aren't alive, there are no natural processes that produce them, they do not reproduce to pass on genetic material and change through mutation. We make machines. The origin of machines has nothing to do with the origin of life. Absolutely nothing, it's like comparing apples to rocks.

Let alone human brains are far more complex than these. There’s a great blind zone in brain science. Scientists still don’t know a lot on human brain.
While it is the organ in our body with the most unknowns compared to the other organs, that does not mean that our understanding of brains isn't expansive. We know so much, that I could poke a part of your brain and, before doing it, predict your reaction to it (the organ feels no pain itself, so any pain would be from stimulating a part of the brain that processes pain). But hey, no shock that we understand the functions of the heart better than the brain, when all a heart does is pump blood.

The blind zone has been without explanation, and it should be an admission scientists don’t know how it works. It’s qualified being supernatural, isn’t it?
But we know that brains exist, and most of how they work, actually. If you make a thread about brain functions in the Physical and Life Sciences section, I'll gladly walk you through it. Furthermore, to be supernatural, you have to have no understanding at all of how it works, or if it even exists. Brains are not supernatural, they are a measurable part of nature.

Furthermore, the functioning of the universe itself, macro or micro, are far more complex than human brains. No inventor and technician for that?
Complexity makes for no indication of design. It never has. Arguments from complexity are fallacious from their very core. It is not the complexity of a computer that makes it designed, and a computer is no more designed than an arrow head (which is far less complex).

No. I disagree. In this simile, you assume the ultimate entity’s intelligent and controlling power are similar to human’s too. As I said above, human intelligence, sensations, comprehension etc. are too weak to compare to the ultimate entiy’s. Ours are so limited that could be negligible.
If we can never interact with the overall intelligence of the universe or measure that it exists, then the null hypothesis that it isn't there will always be the more logical conclusion. Always.

Don’t neglect the merits of a single cell or a single structure in side a cell. They just feels extremely tiny to the gigantic whole body of you, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t important in the micro scale. Every disease, disability or even death of a man is caused by lots of his/her cells having problem or dead. If a cancer sell survives killing of a person’s immune system, it can grow to be a lethal organization and destroy the person as a result.
Never does a person die as the result of the life or death of a single cell. Even the cell that starts a cancer would never kill you by itself. Furthermore, you have failed to answer my question: do you notice the many cells within you that die? Heck, have you even noticed that the majority of the cells in your body aren't even human, but are symbiotic bacteria?

For a person, many functions of his body cells aren’t under control by his will deliberately. Most of the activities of body cells or body tissues are controlled by vegetative nerves, brainstem or cerebellum unconsciously or subconsciously. That’s the main reason why you can’t communicate and respect every cell of you. The relationship between a person’s body cells and his/her consciousness are too primitive to compare to the ultimate entity of all worlds. Once you’re able to do so, that will be a kind of supernatural power.
You could only claim that it wasn't comparable if you could actually measure this ultimate entity and thus make solid claims about how it functions. As it is, you honestly can't make these claims and expect anyone to care, since they are entirely baseless. At least I have the basis of existing living things as a comparative tool, if only for the sake of debate, since I don't believe in this ultimate entity to begin with.

We’re restricted in 3.5 dimensions( we’re passive in time dimension and we can’t control it). However, a dozen of dimensions has been proved existing, yet we’re not able to sense them let alone control them, while we’re just right within them. Scientists do expect to discover more and more dimensions following this trendency. In many scientific concepts, predictions or novels (many depictions of which became prototypes of modern theories or inventions), some people can command their body cells to cast magic-like supernatural powers. There’re numerous types of supernatural powers that can almost break every current limit of human body to change or control things. They can have sixth sense, seventh sense, eighth sense, and so on, continuing to add up. They can receive more signals you think inexistent increasingly. Those will be like your body parts, besides your brain, become more and more intelligent, and your cells become more intelligent and able to communicate and have more functions. The trend can go on until your cells have independent consciousness and free will, by then the relationship becomes nearer between mankind and the ultimate entity. By now, imagine that the ultimate entity has no limit at doing anything, except for those he thinks they’re bad to do and would break some good balances. And time won’t bother him, so he can achieve anything instantly. Every happenings in past and future are right before him at any moment. He also surpasses any limitation of the dozen of dimensions we found and surpasses any limitation of the other dimensions we haven’t detected yet.
There is a man that has a million US dollar reward for anyone that can demonstrate supernatural powers such as telepathy and the like, under controlled, experimental conditions. In over 30 years, no one has succeeded. Not one person. Some have certainly tried, all found to be frauds. Plenty called out to prove that they were really psychic as they claimed this way that have refused as well, even though they have nothing to lose if they are telling the truth, and so much to gain.

How about everything’s shapes and appearances? And the common sense of aesthetics backing them? Also, there’s the common sense of aesthetics in musics. We all know what melody and rhythm are fine, and what are harsh and disgusting. And there are triggers to different emotions inside arts and musics, and we all have common senses to them respectively. Without careful and accurate designs, how can all of those appear to be in an united, tremendous logical system? Does such a logical system still not count to be intelligent? Or at least I’d say they came from a great intelligence.
How we feel about music is purely opinion. Honestly, when I hear dub-step, it sounds like mostly random noises to me, but others consider it music. Things certainly don't seem united to me. We all exist in the same universe, but that's about it.

Bible has lots of evidence of God’s existence, his interactions with mankind and his words and inspirations to teach and guide mankind. We can’t created anything. We would only learn and utilize what God has created to build our science and better our lifes. God is the creator of all the basic elements and laws of all worlds, humans are one of the creations of him.
And the Hindu Vedas are full of evidence for their gods... seriously, the bible isn't evidence for anything other than the fact that some people in the past could write a mediocre novel over decades upon decades of time.

Why do some things have their burning points? Why do some things have their melting points, and some also have their sublimation points? Why are gravity related to substances’ masses? You know the values existing, but you can’t modify them. You can invent a new material, but you can’t set its attributes of corresponded value. The corresponded value will be distributed automatically according to the existing physical law assigned by God.
-_- we can make compounds with an intended function and chemistry. We can even force the noble gases, elements which normally would not form bonds, to form bonds if we want. We MADE the values, using observations of reality. However, no amount of consistency is evidence for a designer.

I’m sorry to hear your mental encounters. The religions you referred to were those heresies that promote people to suicide. Demons are preying relying on those traps.
Catholicism promotes suicide? News to me. I've also been a member of a Baptist church, a Methodist church, and a Nondenominational church. Little did I know they were all extensions of the Church of Euthanasia (sarcasm, but that organization is a real thing that encourages people to kill themselves).

Christians aren’t allowed to do that. A group of friends without correct worldviews and faith may boost some members to commit suicide. Many suicides are caused by bad relationships and bad treats from others. People should get true faith that refers to the principles of our worlds correctly.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... ha, you thought I had never aimed to be a Christian, that's funny.

Materialists tend to take care of themselves the best. The extremes of them may do anything that’s beneficial for themselves as long as it won’t cause a danger imperiling their lives to some serious extent. They can cherish their every enjoyment to some sick degree. Nevertheless they can be extremely indifferent to other people’s lives, pains or enjoyments, unless they need those people’s supports or helps. Some of them can risk others’ health or sacrifice others’ lives to bring themselves profits even with no guilty. I evidenced a few of those guys around in person or by news.
How can none of this describe a religious person? Why would I care about killing people if I thought I was sending them to heaven? Why would I care about hurting others if I was sure that there would be a next life, and that it would be better for them? Aside from actively deconverting people, there isn't much a person with your type of faith can view as a permanent disservice to other people.

Worrying about my future kid's height
In this thread of mine, the main point is as a future father, I’m trying to make sure whether I’ll be possibly to take extra troubles to my kid/kids. That’s out of a father’s responsibility, isn’t it? Even if I can’t avoid it, I must find a solution as early as possible to reduce the loss to the least. I didn’t say my height is already bad enough, and mine(192cm, about 6’4”) was acceptable and is better now( Average heights for youngsters having increased in my area). But for the places that have poor economics, low educated residents, who’re shallow, rude, blindly arrogant and self-centered, they tend to find ways to slash your dignity by any means, in order to appear your status is lower than them… As if they even enslaved you on their mind… Their aims would be any weaknesses on you that they can laugh at, look down upon or discriminate upon. Excessive tallness could easily be the target. If I should have a boy over 6’5” tall or a girl over 6' tall, I’m not kidding that I would have to take care of them with lots of extra efforts. The difficulty would become quite higher!
-_- the most difficult thing about having a tall child is higher caloric intake (need slightly more food, have a daughter if you are worried about that, sons eat a lot more thanks to higher metabolisms), and larger clothes (a bit more expensive, but since you and your wife are somewhat tall, I think your child could stand to wear a few hand-me-downs). That's about it. Unless your child is freakishly tall, getting near 7 feet or exceeding it, there aren't really any health consequences to worry about. No impact on intelligence either.

Upvote 0