If the Bible has errors or discrepancies how am I supposed to believe in Jesus?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So... The Church had nothing to do with what's in our bible? Is that what you are saying?

Not at all. I realize the church brought us the Word of God we have today. But after Revelation 22:18, we are not to add to God's Word. To do so is to create another part of God's Word that He did not specifically say.

You said:
Forgive me...

Please explain this. You are not explaining this.
It makes no sense why you keep saying this.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not at all. I realize the church brought us the Word of God we have today. But after Revelation 22:18, we are not to add to God's Word. To do so is to create another part of God's Word that He did not specifically say.

Please explain this. You are not explaining this.
It makes no sense why you keep saying this.

Do you know the canon of scripture? Do you know that there is a long canon and a short canon? Do you know when and where Revelation was added?

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you know the canon of scripture? Do you know that there is a long canon and a short canon?

I have am aware of many key important doctrines in God's Word.

You can see my full statement of faith here.
(Please take note there are some things on my statement of faith that I need to revise or reword a little better). (Note: I believe Eternal Security is wrong and these words should not be used in describing salvation at all; I also believe works do play an important role in salvation; Also I no longer believe God exists in all points in time at this very moment: Such as the past, present, and future.).

Please show me in God's Word where it talks about a long canon and a short canon.

Thank you.

You said:
Do you know when

John wrote Revelation on the island of Patmos.

You said:
and where Revelation was added?

It was written after all the other books of the Bible. The actual date is not specifically known as a 100% fact because we do not have a time machine to confirm the exact date. Men can only guess as to the time.

You said:
Forgive me...

I am commanded by God to forgive everyone. So far, you have done nothing hurtful towards me whereby I need to forgive you. But if you are seeking forgiveness: Seek out Jesus (See 1 John 2:1, 1 John 1:9).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have am aware of many key important doctrines in God's Word.

You can see my full statement of faith here.

Please show me in God's Word where it talks about a long canon and a short canon.

Thank you.

John wrote Revelation on the island of Patmos.

It was written after all the other books of the Bible. The actual date is not specifically known as a 100% fact because we do not have a time machine to confirm the exact date. Men can only guess as to the time.

I am commanded by God to forgive everyone. So far, you have done nothing hurtful towards me whereby I need to forgive you. But if you are seeking forgiveness: Seek out Jesus (See 1 John 2:1, 1 John 1:9).

Okay... but have you studied any of the Ecumenical councils? Especially the seven major ones? These councils are what decided what books go into the canon. Do you know what they were attempting to assemble?

Forgive me... (Don't worry, I will offend you sooner or later. The truth is convicting.)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay... but have you studied any of the Ecumenical councils?

I do not agree with coming together as far as different religions are concerned. My belief in the Trinity for example does not come from some belief in the Ecumenical council but it comes from believing the Word of God. For faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God. So I have no interest in reading some agreed upon ruling by a group of churches in the past. Especially when I do not agree with many of the practices of those churches.

You said:
Especially the seven major ones? These councils are what decided what books go into the canon. Do you know what they were attempting to assemble?

Not interested because I believe God's Word alone is my authority and not a group of churches putting aside their spiritual indifferences to agree upon certain things. Again, I do not believe all of these churches are engaged in biblical practices. So their gather together so as to agree upon certain things was not exactly biblical.

Here is a Biblical Defense for Sola Scriptura.

You said:
Forgive me... (Don't worry, I will offend you sooner or later. The truth is convicting.)

You should not apologize for standing up for the truth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It make no sense to trust the scriptures and not trust the councils that gathered them and produced the canon.

Forgive me...

It makes perfect sense because there was a point in time where men had these Scriptures and knew God's Word before this council was even formed.

Think, my friend.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It make no sense to trust the scriptures and not trust the councils that gathered them and produced the canon.

Forgive me...
Okay... but have you studied any of the Ecumenical councils? Especially the seven major ones? These councils are what decided what books go into the canon. Do you know what they were attempting to assemble?

Hey Ortho. Yer forgiven....
I would like to ask how many councils do the EOC recognize, compared to the CC and Protestantism?
Thanks.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey Ortho. Yer forgiven....
I would like to ask how many councils do the EOC recognize, compared to the CC and Protestantism?
Thanks.

Hello LLoJ,

The first seven are agreed to by all Churches with the exception of the Coptic Church. Not that we doubt their salvation mind you.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So, who wrote the Gospel of Matthew?

Nowhere am I denying the body of believers and their importance. Your missing the point of what I was referring to. I am talking about the church body of believers and I am not talking about a church organization that is more faceless and is more of a business and organziation of programs than it is a people who simply desire to love in Christ in small intimate fellowship.

People today say... "church" and they point to a building, when they should be pointing to the people. That is how far gone people have gotten in their understanding on God's Word.

Last edited:
Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0

James Bejon

Nov 17, 2014
London
Visit site
✟18,753.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just citing the examples of the Gospel of Mark and the Gospel of John, when the supper and day and hour of cruxificion is different, or, John in the gospel saying he was an eyewitness of the events, when scholars don't believe it was he who wrote ithe gospel, how am I supposed to believe in Jesus? I'm wavering on my belief.

Dear Guerrier. I have a few thoughts on this issue for whatever they’re worth. I think the issue you mention (e.g., the date of the Last Supper and time of the crucifixion) can be resolved--and very satisfactorily too. In fact, once they’re investigated in detail, they turn out to embody a very complex coherence which I’ve personally found to strengthen my faith rather than weaken it. (I’m happy to post a link if you want.) I also have a couple of more general thoughts on the matter in case they’re helpful to you.

First, on any given issue you’re struggling with, mountains of literature have been written. Scholars have taken pretty much every conceivable position on every conceivable issue. Statements like ‘Scholars think John didn’t write John’, etc., only, therefore, reflect one position among many--and one predicated on a particular set of presuppositions at that. So, I wouldn’t personally be too concerned about such things. They’re part and parcel on the nature of scholarship, and are not unique to Biblical scholarship. Second, the Bible is literally chock-full of the kind of ‘issues’ you mention--issues of authorship, harmonisation, historicity, etc. None of us will ever live long enough to research all of them to our satisfaction. My suggestion would, therefore, be as follows: pick an issue which you find problematic and look into it in real detail. Pray about it, read as much material as you can about it (from all sorts of different perspectives), and see what different solutions strike you as plausible. (You won’t be the first person to have considered it.) If at the end of it all, you have an explanation which makes sense to you, then you have two things: i] a solution to your original issue, and ii] a reason to think that similar answers exist in other situations, even if you can’t instantly see them.

James.

Upvote 0