If the Bible has errors or discrepancies how am I supposed to believe in Jesus?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now, you may be wondering how can the Scriptures refer to the words "the Son of God" in Daniel 3 as being both a reference to "an angel of God" (from Neb's perspective) and to Jesus, the "Son of God" (in reality of the fact that it was Jesus in the fire with Daniel's 3 friends)?

Well, Scripture can sometimes have a double meaning. The Messianic prophecies are testimony to this fact. Also, there are passages that have a double fulfillment to them, too. Here is one them:

Hosea 11:1
"When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt."

First Fulfillment (That was in the Past):
Reference to the exodus of the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt.

Secondary Fulfillment (That was in the Future):
Reference to the Love of God calling his Son back to the comparative safety in Egypt so that he might die for his people. Matthew 2:15 - "that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son."​

Granted, the situation with Daniel 3 and Jesus is not a double fulfillment type passage, but the point is that verses can speak from two different perspectives or truths.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
And then they can expect God to solve all of their problems, right?

That's why there are no real Christian martyrs, the problem of being persecuted for Christ never comes up for the true followers of Jesus. :sigh:

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That's why there are no real Christian martyrs, the problem of being persecuted for Christ never comes up for the true followers of Jesus. :sigh:

You do understand that I don't agree with dreadnought, right?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Being persecuted for Christ isn't really a problem, is it? The early Christians welcomed martyrdom, I've been told.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Just citing the examples of the Gospel of Mark and the Gospel of John, when the supper and day and hour of cruxificion is different, or, John in the gospel saying he was an eyewitness of the events, when scholars don't believe it was he who wrote ithe gospel, how am I supposed to believe in Jesus? I'm wavering on my belief.
John did write the Gospel according to John, the scholars are wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The fourth person in the fire was still Jesus! The son of God. The Scriptures were still correct in their inspiration by God when they say, "and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God."
... even though that's not what the Aramaic says (as already shown). Apparently we're supposed to believe that the KJV is more divinely inspired than the original.

While Nebuchadnezzar did not know it was the second person of the Godhead or the Trinity, the Lord our God who inspired Scripture surely would have glorified the name of the Son of God (Jesus) in this instance. For it was Jesus who was in the fire with Daniel's three friends!
Using your conclusion as evidence for your conclusion? Logic fail. And, your "God surely would have" comment shows that what you're essentially saying is, "it's true because it sounds really nice that way to me."

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
... even though that's not what the Aramaic says (as already shown). Apparently we're supposed to believe that the KJV is more divinely inspired than the original.

Using your conclusion as evidence for your conclusion? Logic fail. And, your "God surely would have" comment shows that what you're essentially saying is, "it's true because it sounds really nice that way to me."

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just citing the examples of the Gospel of Mark and the Gospel of John, when the supper and day and hour of cruxificion is different, or, John in the gospel saying he was an eyewitness of the events, when scholars don't believe it was he who wrote ithe gospel, how am I supposed to believe in Jesus? I'm wavering on my belief.
Not to disregard, but is intellectual certainty the same as faith?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,961.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The Bible does not have errors in the way a lot of us think as errors. It is inerrant in what it says. We have to remember that a lack of precision is not an example of error. For example when we ask someone how old they are they give their age as of their last birthday. They do not give their age down to the precise year months, days, minutes and seconds. That would be precise. But they are still without error when giving their age according to their last birthday. Here is an excellent link to getting a basic understanding of innerrancy.

www.blueletterbible.org/faq/don_stewart/don_stewart_421.cfm

Much must be considered when speaking of innerrancy. The Bible IS inerrant.

Upvote 0