If Roe vs Wade is overturned, will the GOP lose in 2022?

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Most experts now expect Republicans to retake the House next year and possibly the Senate as well. However, a huge uproar over the abortion issue could cause a shift in the odds and keep both chambers under Democratic control. What think ye?

Reactions: Pommer

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Most experts now expect Republicans to retake the House next year and possibly the Senate as well. However, a huge uproar over the abortion issue could cause a shift in the odds and keep both chambers under Democratic control. What think ye?
If Roe v Wade is overturned there will be plenty of Democrats acting badly. The whole electoral calculus would be very unpredictable. Catholic voters are not all that unpredictable, but for myself I was a Democrat until pushed to the door because of my disapproval of abortion. I'm not likely to forget that, particularly if Democrats throw violent temper tantrums if they lose Roe v Wade.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That depends on whether the Catholic vote it was intended for returns to the Democrat side.
Democrats and Catholics had lots of common ground a few generations ago. But the Democrats of today are not grandpa's Democrats. I'd be happy with an unDemocrat unRepublican political option. The Democrats, if Roe v Wade is overturned, are going to be the strident party of over-overturning Roe v Wade. They will be unsufferable. And if Roe v Wade is upheld they will consider that a mandate to expand abortion access. They will be unsufferable that way too. No point being a Catholic and a Democrat. Pick one and give up on the other.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is there some blockbuster case that's going to cause Roe vs. Wade to be overturned coming through the pipeline? Because we know that Washington won't pass legislation that would overturn it with Democrat majorities.
Yup. Oral arguments are in December and a ruling likely in January. They would not likely have taken the case if there was no prospect for a humongous change.

• Informative
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Both sides must seem powerless having no vote in the outcome. lol
It's whatever nine folks decide.

Last time nine folks decided it put a nasty tear in the body politic that has not healed.

I do expect the protests are all arranged if the ruling is not in favor of the status quo. Good thing it is winter.

• Informative
Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Is there some blockbuster case that's going to cause Roe vs. Wade to be overturned coming through the pipeline? Because we know that Washington won't pass legislation that would overturn it with Democrat majorities.
Yes, it is the Mississippi abortion case that is up before the Supreme Court.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't see that as very likely. Even if the Court Overturned R v W , which is doubtful, abortion would not be outlawed in the places where the majority of people favored it being legal. Most likely it would not have much effect on abortion availability except for a very few states where it being unavailable might be popular.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If Roe vs Wade is overturned. Women will seek abortion pills over the internet, or have abortions in a different state. There's just too much access for abortions.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I don't see that as very likely. Even if the Court Overturned R v W , which is doubtful, abortion would not be outlawed in the places where the majority of people favored it being legal. Most likely it would not have much effect on abortion availability except for a very few states where it being unavailable might be popular.
Your point is well taken and in reality, is quite true. Nevertheless, I still think that enough suburban women might be upset enough to cost the GOP at the polls, despite the fact that most of them would not have to worry about access to an abortion.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually, what I see happening if the ruling is overturned is that it will become a state by state issue.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Actually, what I see happening if the ruling is overturned is that it will become a state by state issue.
That is indeed correct. The abortion issue then goes back to the 50 states to decide.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The original count
Nevertheless, I still think that enough suburban women might be upset enough to cost the GOP at the polls, despite the fact that most of them would not have to worry about access to an abortion.
That's not what their mothers said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

It could happen, sadly though, I think it will stand. If ROE vs WADE were to be found unconstitutional, then look for a major push to stack the court.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That is indeed correct. The abortion issue then goes back to the 50 states to decide.
Which gives D's something to get hot about. Theyve been fairly lukewarm without Trump to hate.

R's meanwhile are all hotted up over nonsense like CRT and the "stolen election".

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It could happen, sadly though, I think it will stand. If ROE vs WADE were to be found unconstitutional, then look for a major push to stack the court.
that would require another case to be brought before that would "work".

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,282.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The question then becomes “how much control does a woman have over her own bodily autonomy, (Constitutionally speaking)?”

Upvote 0