If Jesus was on earth now would he be vegan?

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How gross? Did not Jesus eat the food of His day? Why would He not eat the same as millions do today?
Millions of Americans have terribly unhealthy food habits. I dont see Jesus participating in that.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Millions of Americans have terribly unhealthy food habits. I dont see Jesus participating in that.

2,000 years ago people eat in dirty conditions. Hygiene was not as it is today etc etc.

Jesus touched lepers. He was very much in touch with the ordinary person.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
2,000 years ago people eat in dirty conditions. Hygiene was not as it is today etc etc.

Jesus touched lepers. He was very much in touch with the ordinary person.
Thats because he had compassion.

Probably out of compassion Jesus would eat something unhealthy if it was given to him out of love. But I doubt he would choose a poor diet generally. Why would he? Why would anyone, except out of ignorance or addiction?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Thats because he had compassion.

Probably out of compassion Jesus would eat something unhealthy if it was given to him out of love. But I doubt he would choose a poor diet generally. Why would he? Why would anyone, except out of ignorance or addiction?

Lol. McDonald's is not an addiction. It's just a 'treat'.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nope.

Otherwise He wouldn't have come to Peter in a vision and told him to "kill and eat" (Acts 10:13).

Plus, God created man in order to subdue the earth. The Bible already includes small passages about being kind to animals, but if God's Word didn't include instructions for animals in present day circumstances there is no reason to think the rules have changed.
Peter later said that after a while he understood the vision and that he would never look at another man as unclean. The vision didn't have anything to do with eating unclean animals.
God made commands in the OT that Jesus clarified. God permitted divorce with a simple signature on a paper but Jesus said that was only aloowed because of the hardness of the peoples hearts.

Could it not be the case that he "allowed" the killing and consuming of animals even though it was against his character but prefers that we honor and respect life? Isn't it a test for us?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Peter later said that after a while he understood the vision and that he would never look at another man as unclean. The vision didn't have anything to do with eating unclean animals.
God made commands in the OT that Jesus clarified. God permitted divorce with a simple signature on a paper but Jesus said that was only aloowed because of the hardness of the peoples hearts.

Could it not be the case that he "allowed" the killing and consuming of animals even though it was against his character but prefers that we honor and respect life? Isn't it a test for us?

Only if you actually find that explicit clarification in scripture rather than merely speculating that it might exist.

I can find, for instance, the explicit declaration that males and females are equal in Christ. I can't find "be vegan"--with the entire philosophy that entails--in scripture.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Only if you actually find that explicit clarification in scripture rather than merely speculating that it might exist.

I can find, for instance, the explicit declaration that males and females are equal in Christ. I can't find "be vegan"--with the entire philosophy that entails--in scripture.
That is because it is not there, at least in black and white.
These things are personal and I am not an advocate against meat. Well, I am but that is for me. Though I chimed in on this thread, all I'm doing is sharing my experience. I never try to guilt people about meat.
Sometimes I have to cook it for other household members. I just do it.
To me, it's nothing to start a movement over.

Upvote 0

Stellar Vision

Mar 17, 2004
Raleigh, NC
✟138,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since there's no biological need for us to eat animals, doing so is literally partaking in pleasures of the flesh.
Hello everyone!

I'm not vegan but was wondering about it. I saw an activist recently and saw that due to the growing human population, animals suffer a lot to give us dairy and meat (confined spaces, infections, over-used). In the time of Jesus this would not have been the case.
So my question is, does the word of the bible that God gave us the animals to eat apply even when they suffer much more today?
Any advice would be appreciated as I am wondering whether to become vegan.

Thank you in advance.
Gary Yourofsky said it best.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't like the line of thought about speculating about what Jesus would or would not do and working from Christian ethics from there. However, there have indeed been Christians that did not eat meat for ethical or religious reasons.

Albert Schweitzer was a famous vegetarian and a Christian. As a child he went hunting with a friend and heard church bells and took it as a sign that hunting was not for him, because he took the commandment not to kill literally.

Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers) was a Presbyterian minister and also a vegetarian.

To my knowledge neither Mr. Rogers nor Schweitzer were vegan, though. In the case of Mr. Rogers, his motivation was a concern for the environment and the waste that goes into farming animals.

Upvote 0