If Jesus was never crucified....

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Can God make a rock so big even He can't move it?

That's on par with this question.

Of course not. God can do anything. So, you're saying Christ would have lived forever if he was never crucified. But, wasn't he a man? He was not yet resurrected so he was not a God was he? Don't only God's live forever?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Of course not. God can do anything. So, you're saying Christ would have lived forever if he was never crucified. But, wasn't he a man? He was not yet resurrected so he was not a God was he? Don't only God's live forever?
It's unanswerable because there's no reality to it. God always has purpose in what He does. Christ's purpose was the cross.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Adam and eve would have lived forever if they had not taken the knowledge of good and evil.. Death only came to them After they took the knowledge of good and evil.. Before that time they had access to the tree of life which gave them eternal life in their flesh bodies.

Why do you think Jesus was called the second Adam ?

But apart from that why bring up questions like this? Jesus foreknew what would happen in His life on earth.. He came here on a mission.. To be the final sacrifice for the atonement of mankind's sins.. So he was never going to end up doing anything else then die on the cross..

• Agree
Reactions: iwbswiaihl2
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It's unanswerable because there's no reality to it. God always has purpose in what He does. Christ's purpose was the cross.

Of course, we know Christs purpose was the cross so he could save the world. And if Christ was never crucified that would be a grim thing and not a happy event. I'm just wondering that if Christ was never Crucified, would he have lived forever. You say the question is unanswerable yet, I believe the question you asked was answerable. Of course God can't make a rock that he can't move. Our God can move mountains and even planets. Let's say he made the biggest rock imaginable. I believe he still could move it because he is God and God can do anything.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Adam and eve would have lived forever if they had not taken the knowledge of good and evil.. Death only came to them After they took the knowledge of good and evil.. Before that time they had access to the tree of life which gave them eternal life in their flesh bodies.

Why do you think Jesus was called the second Adam ?

But apart from that why bring up questions like this? Jesus foreknew what would happen in His life on earth.. He came here on a mission.. To be the final sacrifice for the atonement of mankind's sins.. So he was never going to end up doing anything else then die on the cross..

That's true. I'm wrong, man can live forever. Adam and Eve when they were first created before sin entered the world, lived forever. When we get our resurrected bodies we will live forever too I never really thought about that. But, Jesus also would not have resurrected if he never was Crucified. So he never would have had an mortal body like any other man? So, if he was never crucified (as grim as that would be) he maybe would have died eventually? But, he was without sin and sin entering the world is what caused us to die in the first place.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Would he have lived forever? Because, sin leads to death and he was the only man who lived without sin
Frankly, I agree with you. I have posed this question in another form regarding Adam if he never sinned what would have happened. I was astonished at how so many people could not see the difference between a sinless life and a sinner's life since they assume that since Jesus was like us in all ways but without sin that he would have died if he did not go to the cross.

While Hammster is correct in that God came to Earth to fulfill a purpose, thus it would never have happened, there is nothing wrong with speculations used to understand what life is about.

Jesus said that no man takes his life but that he laid it down voluntarily. I see that as meaning that without his agreeing to take the sins of the world upon himself, he could not die. Why? For the reason you cite: sin is the source of death. Without sin, Jesus could not die.

That begs the question, then what is death and where does it come from? Again, I posed this question elsewhere are my reasons were rejected by many. But until I find a better answer, I will hold fast to my position.

Death is not something that came when Adam sinned. Death is a transformation of something that already existed: regeneration. Even though in creation all things were made mature, it was still the plan of God for reproduction through regeneration. Cells have grow and multiply through regeneration. Cuts have to be healed through regeneration. Fruit was meant to be eaten, decompose and regrow.

Sin caused this process of reproduction to be slightly off so that the regeneration was not quite right. And through the process of time, like a copy of a copy of a copy degenerates, so too our organs degenerate causing natural death through organ failure. Without sin in Jesus, if he did not accept our sins, he would have lived forever in his human state. That also means he would not have been glorified, so, this is just speculation.

However, this kind of speculation is useful in understanding what our sinless life in glory will be like. Of course we can not accurately speculate, for eye has not seen nor ear heard what God has prepared for those who love Him, but there is nothing wrong with the speculation.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, I agree with you. I have posed this question in another form regarding Adam if he never sinned what would have happened. I was astonished at how so many people could not see the difference between a sinless life and a sinner's life since they assume that since Jesus was like us in all ways but without sin that he would have died if he did not go to the cross.

While Hammster is correct in that God came to Earth to fulfill a purpose, thus it would never have happened, there is nothing wrong with speculations used to understand what life is about.

Jesus said that no man takes his life but that he laid it down voluntarily. I see that as meaning that without his agreeing to take the sins of the world upon himself, he could not die. Why? For the reason you cite: sin is the source of death. Without sin, Jesus could not die.

That begs the question, then what is death and where does it come from? Again, I posed this question elsewhere are my reasons were rejected by many. But until I find a better answer, I will hold fast to my position.

Death is not something that came when Adam sinned. Death is a transformation of something that already existed: regeneration. Even though in creation all things were made mature, it was still the plan of God for reproduction through regeneration. Cells have grow and multiply through regeneration. Cuts have to be healed through regeneration. Fruit was meant to be eaten, decompose and regrow.

Sin caused this process of reproduction to be slightly off so that the regeneration was not quite right. And through the process of time, like a copy of a copy of a copy degenerates, so too our organs degenerate causing natural death through organ failure. Without sin in Jesus, if he did not accept our sins, he would have lived forever in his human state. That also means he would not have been glorified, so, this is just speculation.

However, this kind of speculation is useful in understanding what our sinless life in glory will be like. Of course we can not accurately speculate, for eye has not seen nor ear heard what God has prepared for those who love Him, but there is nothing wrong with the speculation.

You're right, there's nothing wrong with speculation. And, you would think sinless men would never see death as Paul says in Romans 6:23

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Death comes from regeneration? Can you explain that more? I'm confused.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Of course, we know Christs purpose was the cross so he could save the world. And if Christ was never crucified that would be a grim thing and not a happy event. I'm just wondering that if Christ was never Crucified, would he have lived forever. You say the question is unanswerable yet, I believe the question you asked was answerable. Of course God can't make a rock that he can't move. Our God can move mountains and even planets. Let's say he made the biggest rock imaginable. I believe he still could move it because he is God and God can do anything.
I know. And that's why your question is in the same vein.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're right, there's nothing wrong with speculation. And, you would think sinless men would never see death as Paul says in Romans 6:23

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Death comes from regeneration? Can you explain that more? I'm confused.
In order for growth to occur, the cells that were have to die for the multiplication of cells to increase the life form that is. For humans, it takes an average of 7 years for all the cells to die and be replaced. Of course there are organs that take longer, but as an average. This regeneration is why babies become children, children adolescents, and adolescents adults. Once the age of 21 is reached the changes of maturation cease, and maintenance through cell replacements continues in this average 7 year cycle. So a 21 changes to a 28 year old, a 28 year old becomes middle aged at 35, and so on. Because sin remains in the physical body, the maintenance in regeneration is slightly off, thus producing the old age changes in the skin sags, eyes dim, organs malfunction, etc. Eventually, if no other death occurs, natural causes of death means that organs failed because they regenerated incorrectly and no longer function correctly.

If Jesus never went to the cross, then his cells would have been perfectly re-created with no aging, and he would have lived forever as a perfect human.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Would he have lived forever? Because, sin leads to death and he was the only man who lived without sin
Elijah never actually died, if I remember correctly. He's the only example I can think of, of a person who didn't die. Jesus might have lived forever, but the rest of us would die. Actually, Jesus hasn't died yet.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Elijah never actually died, if I remember correctly. He's the only example I can think of, of a person who didn't die. Jesus might have lived forever, but the rest of us would die. Actually, Jesus hasn't died yet.
Well, He did. That whole cross thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think of death as an end. There is no end.
Well, scripture looks at it differently. Since this is General Theology, I'll go with scripture.

Upvote 0