If I'm an Atheist and I am not a bad person, will I go to hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not in my case.

I was a Christian for 40 years and where I fell short, was in not taking the time to thoroughly examining Christianity and the NT from a historical the scholarly standpoint and I just assumed the story was valid.

So, I was open to acquiring new knowledge and oh boy, does a good objective review of the NT bring new knowledge. My goal was to not hinder reality and to be honest with what I discovered.

Professing to be a Christian, and being one are very different. I would have claimed the same, it seemed foolish to me. I found contrary, the more I read, the greater my faith.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Professing to be a Christian, and being one are very different. I would have claimed the same, it seemed foolish to me. I found contrary, the more I read, the greater my faith.

Good for you.

And by the way, it is not up to you to decide who is or was a real Christian.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't make a comparison, not in this thread.
God either made men sick directly or watched as it happened. Either way he endorsed the affliction.

No you made a false assertion. If you are warned of the dangers inherent in fire, yet you place your hand into the flames, you are responsible.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
No you made a false assertion. If you are warned of the dangers inherent in fire, yet you place your hand into the flames, you are responsible.
The fire that God created or watched be created. The standards that God imposed. It is like if God pushed me underwater and then sailed off into the distance and told me that I must find him before he'll let me aboard again.

From my perspective there is no fire, no God, no heaven, no hell, no 'sin'. There is no fire to put my hand in.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Assuming that you are referring to the Garden of Eden: if you don't understand the warning because you were deliberately created without that understanding (i.e., important information was deliberately withheld), then who is to blame?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Good for you.

And by the way, it is not up to you to decide who is or was a real Christian.

Since nothing remotely like that statement had been made by seekingsolace, why did it seem a good opportunity for you to reply with an insult?

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
As many biblical historians will state; the book is an excellent work of theology, it is not a work of reliable history. If one has faith in that particular theology, then good for them.
Hey thanks fo that, very constructive. I never got round to reading history, my mind not suited.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you don't understand the warning, because you were deliberately created without that understanding, then who is to blame?
But you were, from the very beginning to the end. Does your conscience not bear witness against you now? whether you believe or not; do you know murder, rape etc are evil?

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
But you were, from the very beginning to the end. Does your conscience not bear witness against you now? whether you believe or not; do you know murder, rape etc are evil?
Those are not the often repeated requirement for avoiding the fire. We are told that the only way to avoid the fire is to convert to Christianity. The process has nothing whatsoever to do with morality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Assuming that you are referring to the Garden of Eden: if you don't understand the warning, because you were deliberately created without that understanding, then who is to blame?

Where does your idea that he/they were created without that understanding come from?

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did Adam and Eve know that consuming the fruit was evil? How could they know? Knowledge of good and evil was withheld from them.

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Where does your idea that he/they were created without that understanding come from?
I do not know that Christianity is true. From my perspective I have no reason to preference it over Islam or Sikhism or any other religious philosophy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Assuming that you are referring to the Garden of Eden: if you don't understand the warning because you were deliberately created without that understanding (i.e., important information was deliberately withheld), then who is to blame?

So if your father, who as a child you should trust in wholly; tells you that if you place your hand into fire, you will be burned. Do you trust your father is telling you the truth? You have the capacity to obey the warning or not.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So if your father, who as a child you should trust in wholly; tells you that if you place your hand into fire, you will be burned. Do you trust your father is telling you the truth? You have the capacity to obey the warning or not.
If I disobey, should my father punish me eternally? Is that just?

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Without the capacity to determine right or wrong you can't make a meaningful decision. You can't understand whether it is right or wrong to obey or disobey.

In either case the actions of Adam & Eve should not inflict upon an entire species.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.